Description: Clark knows what his wife's Christmas wish is, but a trip to the hospital has him making his own Christmas wish.

Acknowledgements and Comments: The year is 2005. Lois and Clark are away from home for a conference just before Christmas. Thank you to KenJ for his beta. I can't express enough how great he is. Thanks to Morgana for her comments, which always encourage me. While the idea for this has been in my notes for ages I have slightly tweaked it so that it can (possibly) fulfil the 'worst Christmas ever' challenge. You can let me know at the end of part three whether it fulfilled the challenge or not.

Disclaimer: Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane and all other character and place names are owned by DC and/or Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. I own nothing ... except my fantasies -- which frequently include Clark/Superman.

Part 1 TOC

The first pain came just as Lois was taking a bite into her dessert. "Urgh," she groaned and when the pain faded, a moment later, she swallowed the creamy chocolate mousse which had been waiting in her mouth.

"Everything all right, honey?" Clark asked his wife.

She nodded and smiled. "Just a twinge in my back," was her reply and then she dived in for another spoonful.

"Baby back ache?" he guessed.

"Mmm," came the reply from the mouth once again occupied by another spoonful of dessert.

Lois had suffered from back ache in each of her three previous pregnancies, and this one was no different. Clark usually persuaded his wife to lie on their bed, once the day was done, and he would give her a gentle heat massage. Tonight he'd get her to lay down on their hotel bed and then use a little heat vision to relax her muscles.

Clark watched as Lois cradled her six month baby bump, stroking her hand up and down, while finishing off her dessert. He knew there was a new life growing underneath her palm, and he knew that they would both love that new life, with all their heart whatever sex the baby was, but he also knew that Lois - secretly - hoped for a girl.

The previous three pregnancies had resulted in four - wonderful - boys. Jordan, the twins - Jonathan and Samuel, and Clark Jerome Jr, brought joy into their lives every day. Clark wouldn't change anything about his boys … not one thing. But he knew that Lois wanted a girl, desperately.

He'd caught her making a wish at the wishing well in Centennial Park, the day after her first sonogram, months ago. Sometimes his super-hearing was a curse, sometimes it was a blessing. He was glad that he knew how his wife felt, but he also shared in her sorrow. And he - secretly - also wished for a girl.

Still … he would love Baby Kent Number Five, no matter what.

Lois moaned again and he looked up into her face, startled. "Honey?" He was a little worried. That hadn't sounded like her usual discomfort.

"It's okay. I think I just need to visit the restroom." She stood up - rather slowly, Clark noticed - then looked down at him. "Why don't you settle the bill while we're gone." She placed her hand over her growing belly and smiled, indicating that she was including the baby when referring to we.

Lois hadn't returned from the restroom by the time Clark had paid the bill and so he just stood in the entrance way and waited. Fake palm trees decorated the seating area where guests could wait while their table was prepared. Clark reached out a hand and trailed his finger along the palm frond. It was definitely fake, but incredibly realistic. Possibly all the other patrons thought it was genuine. The soil in the planter was real, undoubtedly to help with the illusion, but his microscopic vision could see the molecular makeup of the plastic, and his x-ray vision could see the solid metal supportive core.

A group of young 'twenty-somethings' entered, chatting away to each other, and to unknown callers on the other end of their mobile phones. Clark moved away from the palm tree to allow them access to the waiting area. Checking his watch he realised that Lois had been more than ten minutes and he began to panic. He felt his spine stiffen and his lazy, relaxed posture disappeared. He glanced warily around the restaurant and then in the direction of the restrooms. His hand twitched as he fought against the impulse to slide his glasses down his nose. Tuning in his hearing he searched for that familiar beat.

Although slightly elevated, Lois' heart beat was strong and regular. Linked with that rhythm - a double-time counterpoint - was the steady beating of Baby Kent Number Five. His own heart began to calm a little, but he kept his gaze on the restroom door, not letting himself be distracted even when the group of young woman let out a loud roar at the arrival of the final member of their group.

After a further five minute wait the door opened and Lois came striding through. Clark could tell that there was something wrong, he knew all of Lois' facial expressions, skin colouring and bodily mannerisms. Something about the way she was walking, and the pale colour of her skin, sent a shiver down his spine. Paradoxically she strode across the restaurant with her head held high, giving off the impression of complete control and confidence.

But it was just an impression. Somehow, he knew.

Lois reached his side and smiled up at him. Her eyes were glassy and her skin was extremely pale. Conversely her cheeks were bright red, along with her lips. A fresh application of lipstick was bound to be the explanation for the lips, but Clark had never known Lois to carry blusher with her.

A quick x-ray of her purse confirmed that.

She took her coat from over his arm and turned away from him. He held out his hand and helped her to shrug into the thick cotton jacket.

"Shall I ask someone to call a cab for us?" he asked, concerned.

"Don't be ridiculous, Clark," Lois answered. "The hotel is only five minutes away and it is an absolutely gorgeous night." With the coat settling into place Lois turned back to her husband and smiled up at him. He smiled back, tentatively, and then pushed open the restaurant door.

Lois was correct. The evening sky was crystal clear and the stars could be seen in the winter night sky. Although, they would be even clearer out of the light pollution of the city and up above.

Christmas was in three days. The cold weather and snow falls predicted in Metropolis were unheard of in Tampa. Clark couldn't wait to get back home. Not only did it feel wrong, to have such nice clear weather at Christmas time, but he missed his boys.

Thankfully the conference, and his closing speech, would be done by lunch time tomorrow, and then he was flying the two of them back home in time to collect the boys from Lois' parent's on Christmas Eve.

"So, I was going over our list," Lois started, as she slipped her hand into Clark's and they began to walk. "I've changed my mind about Isabel … I do want it on the list. But I think Gloria needs to come off."

"Oooo," Clark hissed in through his teeth. "She won't be happy about that. You know she's been hinting ever since we announced to the newsroom."

"Well, she'll just have to get over it. I don't want my daughter named Gloria, no matter how much I like the woman who she'd then be named after. And, anyway, she doesn't need to know it's off the list … we just tell her that we debated over it, back and forth, and eventually settled on … whatever we settle on."

"Which could be Isabel?" Clark asked, arching his eyebrows.

"Yeah. It's sweet."

"Or Leanne, or Jamie, or Ellen, or Martha …" Clark reeled off a couple of names on the baby list.

Lois looked up at him as their arms swung and then looked away, smiling shyly.

"I know it's a long list. I just … I need to … "

"It's all right, honey." Clark stopped them and turned to face her. "Everything is so … unknown … until she decides to come. I understand." He brought a hand up and cupped her cheek then slowly bent down to touch his lips to hers.

Clark felt as Lois parted her lips to deepen the kiss and then, suddenly, she was gone. He opened his eyes to see her bending over and clutching at her stomach.

"Honey," he asked, once more concerned.

"I'm fine, Clark. Just really bad back ache." She straightened up and took his hand again, pulling him off in the direction of the hotel once more. "Plus, I think I may have had an allergic reaction to something at the restaurant … an intolerance, maybe …"

Not really believing her, but choosing just to go along with her for the moment, Clark continued to walk, mentally preparing himself for the gentle confrontation to come when they arrived at the hotel and he would attempt to convince her to have a massage and go to bed.

"What … " Lois spoke quietly. "What if it's another boy?" She took a deep breath. "We do need boy names, Clark."

"I know, honey." Clark's voice was gentle and loving. "How about Perry or Jimmy." Out of the corner of his eye he watched as Lois smiled and nodded.

"That would be nice," she acknowledged. "I think that I like Joseph too."

Clark nodded. "Mmmm, yes." He gripped Lois' hand tighter and swung it back and forth. "That was my grandpa's name. I think that would be nice."

"Yeah, but …" she paused and sucked in a tight breath. Clark turned to take her in his arms but whatever pain was in her back must have faded. "But," - she continued as if nothing had interrupted her - "wouldn't it be too similar to Jordan?"

"I guess, they are similar." They set off walking once more. "But, actually, it wouldn't have to be a problem. We've actually never shortened Jordan's name to Joe or Jor. Maybe Joseph could become Joe…" He shrugged.

Lois opened her mouth to state her agreement or disagreement, but Clark, instead, looked up to see the entrance to their hotel, and spoke before she could. "Well, here we are … and I believe someone has an appointment with a massage." Clark wiggled his eyebrows, teasingly.

"Mmm, that would be very nice, Clark. Baby Kent Number Five is seriously squirming tonight, I think."

They turned under the entrance way and walked into the marble lobby. At the elevator Lois moaned again and Clark was suddenly very glad of his invulnerability when she clasped his hand tighter than ever before. Tighter, even, than when she was in labour pains in three previous pregnancies.

His heart almost quit beating when that realisation hit him. "Lois, honey," he breathed out on a terrified whisper. "Are you all right?"

"Clark," she moaned and her knees buckled.

Dare I ask for comments?

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."