Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 8: The Birth of a Superhero

Clark stared, awestruck. He’d read about the Green Arrow in the Daily Planet. A vigilante, patrolling the streets at night, making Metropolis a safer place. He had a feeling that was his calling too. Clark was shaken out of his reverie when the mugger pushed past his arm and ran off down the alley. Green Arrow was obviously used to this kind of situation as he immediately raised his crossbow and shot the mugger. A small burst of blue light was followed by a fizzing sound and the mugger dropped to his feet. Clark looked back at the Emerald Archer in surprise. He’d actually shot the man, a hero wasn’t supposed to do that. His facial expression must have been easily readable as the Archer’s first words seemed to answer his unspoken query.

“Taser dart,” came a deep and slightly distorted voice. The man in green leather stepped towards Clark and lowered the crossbow. “So, who are you meant to be then? Some Dark Avenger ‘cause you’re hardly a White Knight in that getup.” He indicated to Clark’s wardrobe with the flick of his arm. “Black on black. Kinda hard to pull off,” he commented.

Clark frowned. He hadn’t expected to be put down by a costumed hero when trying out his new-found abilities. What’s wrong with all black? I blend into the shadows; no-one will see me. “It’s easier than you think” he replied, trying to lower his voice. Green Arrow obviously disguised his voice and his identity. That was probably a good idea.

“Hey, don’t get me wrong. I think you look smart, but the streets at night are not the place for a wannabe hero.”

Clark took a step forwards and looked at Green Arrow sternly. “I got the goods, don’t you worry about my safety.” He turned and then sped off. Hopefully the super-speed exit would show Green Arrow that he hadn’t just stumbled across some ordinary citizen trying to be helpful.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back at the farm, over breakfast the following morning, Clark replayed the scene in his head. Okay, so Green Arrow had a cocky attitude but he still did some good in the city. The crime rate was down since he showed up; there was a heightened sense of safety and hope among the residents of Metropolis. Clark could add to that. If the people knew that there was a truly super-powered hero looking after them then they would live a much more peaceful life. But how was he to get Green Arrow to accept him? The Archer had obviously presumed he was just a normal person witnessing a crime and trying to help out. I need to make sure it’s obvious I’m here to help, but how? Green Arrow wears a costume. Clark replayed the conversation they’d had about his black clothing. Hmm, it wasn’t really a ‘costume’ was it?

“Mom?” Clark asked.

“Yes, sweety?” she replied turning round from the oven, more home-cooked pancakes in hand.

“I think I need a costume. Something I can wear when I save people. If I have an effective disguise I don’t have to worry about people finding out about me.” Green Arrow had been doing this for longer than he had and if he thought it necessary to hide his true identity then it would probably be necessary for Clark too.

Martha walked over to the table and put the pancakes down. She took a seat next to Clark. “Honey, are you sure about this. You’ve had to come to terms with so much and it’s been only just a week?”

“Mom, I’m sure. I can do this. I can be a hero. This is what I was sent here for.” He hadn’t told his parents the exact last line of the message in the energy stream but that didn’t matter, he was interpreting it in his own way. ‘Rule them with strength’ had become ‘Lead them with strength’ in his own mind and he knew that meant that he needed to be a symbol of hope. But how could he be a symbol for people to look up to if they couldn’t see him. He couldn’t hide in the darkness. He looked up into his mother’s face and was surprised to see tears in her eyes. “Mom?” he questioned.

“I’m just so proud of you, Clark. But I still dreaded this day coming. I think you always had a grand destiny but it was just delayed by the blue kryptonite.” She was smiling but it was a sad, wistful smile. “I think it’s time you saw what else was in the ship that brought you to us.”

“What else?” Clark was shocked. “There was more in the ship?”

“Yes. Something I didn’t understand a first but as you grew up I began to suspect its use. And then, this week, I knew.” Her voice cracked and the tears fell down her cheeks. “Oh, Clark, this will change everything, are you sure about this?”

“Yes, Mom,” he replied confidently. He was sure.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark strode towards the mirror in his bedroom and stared at his reflection. A smile came to his face. He reached up his hand and removed his glasses. Standing tall, taller than usual due to an extra feeling of confidence his smile widened. Reaching up the other hand he ruffled his hair. The smart, slicked back look of Clark Kent would not stay in place whenever he super-sped – THIS is what he would look like when saving people.

“Oh, my,” came the comment from his mother. “The change in you is unbelievable. Clark, you look so different. The glasses, the hair,” she paused, “the confidence.”

“This is it, Mom.” He turned to look at her and smiled once more.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark ran. It was exhilarating. He felt the wind in his hair. He felt the cape on his back billowing out. The power and confidence flowing through him gave him a feeling of invincibility. Well, maybe he was. That bullet had just bounced off his back. A childish joy came over him and he leaped into the air with a ‘woo hoo’. The sense of freedom was overwhelming, he could do anything. He looked down at the ground and realised he wasn’t dropping; he was soaring, higher.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois was confused. Why did the DA’s aide want to meet her now, and why on the roof of the Daily Planet. She’d been in contact with him a few times over the last few weeks, trying to break a story on corruption. He was helpful, but concerned for his safety. Lois opened the door to the roof and walked through, tentatively.

“Hello, are you here?” she called out.

“Miss Lane, how nice of you to come.” The sleek voice chilled Lois to the bone.

“I should have guessed. I thought it was strange. The Daily Planet roof, on a Sunday?” Lois stared at the DA she had massive suspicions about. She’d been set up. She should have realised that the assistant was too scared to truly be of use. Any pressure from the DA and he would crack. “So, what do you have to say for yourself then? You must have something to say to me or you wouldn’t have arranged a meeting. A quote, maybe, for my article?”

“Miss Lane, you must know that your article is dead.” She shivered when he said the word dead. “You have no information or proof of anything.” Lois knew he was right. The DA’s aide had only ever hinted at criminal activities but never outright said anything. It had been like pulling teeth to even get that hint.

“And how can you be so sure about that. You meeting me up here, deceiving me in such a way, just leads me to believe that I’m definitely on to something. If you had nothing to hide then why am I up here having this ‘talk’ with you?” Lois looked at him confidently.

“Oh, Miss Lane, wrong answer.” She felt a chill again. “I was only hoping to convince you to drop the story but it seems I’ve set you further on your vendetta. I can’t have that.”

Lois felt a presence behind her at that point. She turned around to see two gentlemen closing on her. This is not good. He’s definitely hiding something if he’s willing to go to these lengths.

Lois tried to dodge them as they came for her but she was not quick enough. Rough hands grabbed her arms and started dragging her towards the edge of the roof. She tried to dig her heels into the ground, she made herself a dead weight, she struggled with all her might but they continued to advance on the edge. “You can’t do this. Why? What do you think to gain from this?” she shouted back over her shoulder to the DA.

“Well, for one thing, your story will never be printed, or even investigated. And as you haven’t even really started on it, as far as I am aware, no one will connect me to the accident either. I think I gain quite a lot, thank you.” He nodded to the two men at that point and Lois screamed as she was pushed over the edge.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark was flying faster and faster. This was even better than super-speed running. He started to wish that he’d found out about his powers much earlier in life. Experiencing this flying over the last few years would have been fantastic. Arms stretched out in front of him he soared up, high above the Metropolis skyline and then stopped. Hanging in midair he looked back down to the city. Wow, what a sight.

“Aaaahhhhhhh.” He heard a terrified scream. Shooting back down at full speed he homed in on the source. Someone was falling. As he got nearer he took in all the details. Flying at super-speed everything around him went slowly. He saw the lady suspended in mid air halfway down. He looked back up and saw two men peering over the edge, down at the falling woman. Behind them was the Daily Planet globe. The Planet! He turned to look at the falling victim. Lois! His eyes widened and his heart pounded. No, not Lois!

He made it to her side and cupped his arms around her body. Okay, act confident, act different, she’ll never know it’s you. Come on, why would she ever suspect her new work buddy of being a flying hero.

“It’s okay, Miss, I’ve got you,” he said in a deep voice.

Lois felt a jolt as her screaming descent came to a halt. She felt strong, warm arms around her. She looked up to see the most deep blue eyes gazing at her. “You’ve got me? Who’s got you?” He smiled at her and released one arm from around her waist: the other one tightened its hold. He stretched out his arm and Lois felt herself rising. Looking upwards she noticed the rooftop getting closer. I’m flying, she though incredulously. No! He’s flying. She looked into his face again. Something niggled at the back of her mind. That face, and she frowned.

“There you go. You’re safe now,” he said as he placed her on solid ground. They were back on the roof.

“Who ... who are you?” she asked in a shocked, breathy voice.

Clark stumbled to answer. He didn’t know what to say. “A friend,” he finally replied. “Now excuse me while I catch those men. You were pushed?” he queried.

“Yes. I was pushed. District Attorney Sacks and two thugs.”

“I’ll get them Miss,” he said and then disappeared. Lois felt a sudden whoosh of wind around her but as she turned round and round there was no sign of her saviour. “Huh!” she said quietly, then strode back over to the edge. Peering over, tentatively, she stared down to the street. I should have been splat, she thought, and a sense of wonder came over her. “Wow!” was the only thing she could say.

Shaking herself out of the overwhelming thoughts she headed down to her desk in double quick time. Turning on her computer she began typing away. She had no proof of the DA’s questionable activities but she no longer needed it. He’d tried to kill her; that was story, and proof, enough. But the real story was something much bigger. As she related the events in narrative she found herself describing her saviour in minute detail. Had she really taken in that much in such a short time? She closed her eyes and recalled everything. Blue, tight outfit which showed off his well-proportioned body, red boots and cape giving him a grandiose look, a strange symbol on his chest, but most of all she remembered his eyes. Piercing, intense blue, they had looked at her with such confidence, such trust, and something else. Something she couldn’t explain. An emotion? But what emotion? Opening her eyes she stared back at her article. She had her title.

Saved by a Superman

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."