Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 2

Clark ignored the ringing of his phone all day. He couldn’t forgive his parents for keeping something so important from him. He’d run home during the morning to get his glasses but he’d been so fast that no-one had seen him. He didn’t need the glasses now but everyone was used to seeing him in them, and besides, how was he going to explain the change? ‘Contact Lenses’ wouldn’t satisfy; he’d constantly avoided them over the years, a phobia of putting anything in his eyes due to the original accident. He didn’t think anyone would believe he had changed his mind overnight.

The run to the farm had been exhilarating. He was getting the hang of this. But the vision and hearing changes were really causing problems. He needed to control them. He spent most of the day out in the quiet woods. Not so that he could be quiet, because it was no longer quiet for him, but so that he could train himself to listen to what he DID want to hear and block out what he DIDN’T want to hear. He also tried to focus with his vision but by the end of the afternoon he was only a little more in control than he had been at the start of the day. He ran back to Chloe’s, again enjoying the freedom of speeding along, and once again slept on the couch.

In the morning he rose early and made another invisible stop at home to change for work. Work. He liked the sound of that. Hearing shuffling steps outside his room he realised his Mom and Dad were already up. He still wasn’t ready to speak to them so he whooshed off as fast as he could.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“There’s a spare desk over there, here’s your Press Pass and your name plate, make yourself at home.” A whistle-stop tour of the Daily Planet building given by a junior member of HR had ended down in the basement with the slight, blonde girl pointing over to an area in the corner. Clark took the two items which were now his property and wandered over to the desk which had just become his home.

He sat himself in his chair and began to swivel in it, lightly. What am I to do now? Am I expected just to get on with my own stories and leads, because I’m quite capable of that, but maybe they have something else in mind? Clark thought to himself.

“Hey, do you mind,” came a voice from the other side of the desk. A head peeped to the side of his computer screen and glared at him. “That squeaking is driving my mad and you’ve only been at it for 20 seconds. Keep still man.”

Clark stopped swivelling and sat himself up straight. “Sorry, miss.” He smiled and offered a hand out to his ‘desk neighbour’. “Clark Kent, I’m new today.”

“I can tell. You’ve got rookie written all over you.” She glanced down at the outstretched arm but didn’t reach for it. “Lois Lane.”

“Lois,” Clark stood and smiled again. “You’re Chloe’s cousin.”

She looked at Clark with no facial expression he could read. “And you’re my little cousin’s BFF!” she stated.

“Lois ... Lane?” Clark stated slowly.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what I said,” she replied sarcastically.

Chloe’s cousin is Mad Dog Lane? And I’m sat on a desk opposite her. That can’t be good.

“Oh, Chloe asked me to show you the ropes but I’m afraid that’s not gonna happen farm boy. I’ve got leads to chase.” She turned away and yelled across the room. “Hey, Jeff, where’s that research I asked for ten years ago?” then she strode off in the same direction.

Clark sat back down in his chair and let the whirlwind that was Lois Lane sink in. My goodness, she was brash, she was loud, she was pushy, she was forthright, she was ... sexy. His gaze followed her as she strode around the room. Having whipped some paperwork out of some guy’s hand, Jeff he presumed, she went to make copies. He watched her intently as she leant over the copier. Resting his hand against his cheek he smiled very slightly when he saw her bend down to pick up the copies coming off. Her skirt was possibly a little short. His eyes looked up and down her legs and he had to admit they were stunning legs. His mind wandered back to the conversation he had involuntarily overheard yesterday and he casually wondered if she was wearing a thong today, under that short skirt.

His eyes started to prickle.

His imagination ran wild.

His eyes felt like they were on fire.

He blinked and shook his head then he turned back to look at Lois, still bending over the copier.

The fire behind his eyes burst into life.

Shaking his head again he focussed on the waste paper basket next to the copier. Suddenly it burst into flames. Clark jumped up into the air suddenly. What was that? Lois stumbled backwards and Clark noticed her start to fall. He ran as quick as possible and managed to catch her. This super-speed is quite useful, he thought.

“Wow, that was quick work,” she said as she looked up at Clark. Steadying herself by grabbing onto his arms she felt the shape of Clark’s body underneath the shirt. Hello, Sailor! Boy, farm work must be good exercise. She coughed and then pushed herself out of his arms.

Clark strode over to the water cooler and filled a large mug. Tipping the contents over the small fire it was immediately put out. This guy is not at all what I expected from a Smallville farm boy, she thought to herself and decided to go easy on him. Maybe he was actually cut out for this job. Her eyes widened as she watched him walk back to his desk. There it was, the tight ass, the cute butt.

No! No way am I getting involved with a rookie farm boy from Smallville. Lois immediately distanced herself. This is not going to happen. Lane, sort yourself out.

Lois put on an air of confidence as she strolled back to her desk. She dropped into her chair and started to sort through her copies, purposely ignoring the enticing body opposite.

Clark was deep in thought. He had caused the fire, he was sure of it. He leant forwards and rested his forehead on his hand. This is too much. Speed, strength, vision, hearing, now flames! What next? He deliberated over his situation for a few minutes before deciding that information was key. He couldn’t ignore this change in his life, even if he was still angry with his parents. He stood up and leant over to pick up his jacket.

“Er, Lois. I gotta go. An appointment. See you later.”

Lois frowned. He’s only been here five minutes and he’s already leaving? Maybe he isn’t cut out for this. He’s not even made it through the morning. It better not be like this from now on. I’m not having a guy sitting opposite who can’t stay put and be counted on in a crisis. I thought Chloe said he was reliable. Dependable, reliable Clark Kent. What a bore.

She watched him leave and as he walked up the stairs she most definitely knew that it was his ass she had fantasized about all last night.

Nope, I’m not interested. Clark Kent is like Smallville to me. Never want to visit, never gonna visit. Lois sighed as he disappeared out of sight.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments are over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."