Witness - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

They were still unsure that Finn was the only assassin that was out to get Lois so when they exited the Planet building, Lois couldn’t help looking seemingly everywhere at once, checking out all of the faces that she could see. They quickly crossed the street and hailed a cab and as soon as one pulled up, Clark hustled her into it.

When they arrived at Winninger’s Clark paid the cabbie. Lois stopped him and said, “You’re not leaving me for another elementary school visit are you?”

Clark put his arm around her waist and pulled her into his body before he answered. “This time, I’m with you, body and soul.”

Lois smiled and admitted to herself that she felt relieved that he was with her. It wasn’t that she didn’t feel like she could handle herself, but the last time had shaken her. There isn’t much that karate can do against a gun.

Doctor Hubert let them in and led them back to the den.

With the pictures of the commune on the wall behind him, he began to speak. “During the time Vincent spent in the Amazon, one of the discoveries he made was a rare plant which, when correctly harvested and processed, increased male potency.”

Lois snarked, “So then his prowess with the ladies wasn’t all God given?”

Doctor Hubert replied succinctly and with a nod, “Correct.”

Clark commented, “Better sex through science.” He looked at Lois and lifted an eyebrow, “Why not?”

Lois blushed and patted his arm. “Everyman wants to be Superman in bed, I guess.” She looked at him significantly and said, “Some men don’t need the help.”

Doctor Hubert noted this by play and pressed on, “He *also* discovered vast mineral deposits beneath areas of the rain forest that are currently protected by law.”

Clark asked “How does Barbara Trevino fit into all of this?”

Doctor Hubert nodded and replied, “I was just coming to that. Barbara knew of Vincent's discoveries and research, and tried to convince him they should be exploited for their commercial value. He turned her down cold.”

A sudden thought occurred to Lois and she dug into her bag, almost frantically. She finally found what she was after and pulled it out. It was a piece of paper, she explained as she read, “This Is the background sheet on Trevino they handed out at the press conference. Yes, here it is … Barbara Trevino is, among other things, on the of board directors of Hobbs Mining.” After reading she looked up and said, “Extensive mining operations in protected areas of the rain forest would constitute an ecological disaster.”

Doctor Hubert was enthusiastic as he said, “Winninger knew that. The world saw him as a hedonist, but he was really a humanist. The plant he discovered was just one of the many potential treasures hidden deep in the rain forest, waiting to be discovered for the eventual good of all mankind. He devoted his life to preserving that resource.”

And now:

Chapter 08

Lois and Clark left Doctor Hubert at Winninger’s and headed back to the Planet. They had some researching to do. They were at it most of the day. Lois had forgotten all about Barbara Trevino’s call of the previous day. By the end of the day, Lois was feeling more than a little frustrated. The day staff was starting to head out, but Lois, Clark and Cat all congregated around Lois’s desk.

As Perry walked up to join the group Lois asked, “Anything on Hobbs Mining?”

Perry had been trying to use his influence as Editor-in-Chief to cut through some of the bureaucracy. “No, they're being very closed mouthed. Ben Bradlee used to call it 'non-denial' denials.” He was concerned for her safety still and looking around he asked, “You going to be all right?”

Lois nodded in Clark’s direction and said, “Sure, I’ve got my protector right over there.”

Perry looked in his direction. He had heard Lois’s comment and he put on a show for Perry. Pretending to be reading something while he walked, he bumped into a desk.

Seeing this didn’t alleviate Perry’s concerns. He said, “Oh, brother. Well, you be careful.” As he finished speaking, Perry headed for the elevator. He made a parting comment, “There aren't many people around. Good night.”

Just then the elevator doors opened and Perry started to enter, but he was delayed by the cleaning woman and her cart which were coming out. As Perry got into the car the cleaning woman said, “Night,” and pushed her cart down the hall.

Lois was still hard at work embellishing her notes from the meeting with Hubert when Cat strolled over. Cat interrupted her by asking, “Big story, huh?”

Lois didn’t even look up, “Mmm.”

Cat said, “You must have been terrified.”

This finally got Lois’s attention. She looked up and said with a little bravado, “It was a little scary.”

Cat was actually more than a little envious of Lois although she would be loathe to admit it, especially to her. Lois had the man of her dreams, Cat’s dreams that is and she seemed to have it all together. To keep the conversation going, Cat said, “You want to talk scary? I covered the governor's wife's speech at the museum volunteers' luncheon today. Her dress -- *that* was scary.”

Lois was mystified as to how the two could compare. Her life had actually been threatened, several times in the last couple of days, and Cat was comparing that to a dress. A little of Clark must have rubbed off on her because rather that giving a snarky comment, Lois just smiled politely and went back to her notes.

Lois was surprised when Cat persisted. She was wondering just what was eating Cat and hoping that she would just ‘spit it-out.

Cat said, “Look, be honest. You can tell me, I won’t breathe a word, you *were* scared, right?”

Lois didn’t want to betray any weakness to Cat for fear that it would soon be all over the newsroom so she said, “Like I said, a little.”

Cat challenged, “A lot.”

Lois argued, “Little.”

Cat came back with “Lot.”

Getting frustrated with this back and forth, Lois challenged, “Why is it so important to you that I admit how scared I was?”

Cat put her hands on her hips and said, “It just makes you more human.” She thought for a second before she continued, her jealousy started to come out, “Okay. Look, I write as well as you do, I'm more fun at parties. But you're the star here -- the chief's favorite. You are in on *all* the action. And when you get in trouble, look who's hanging around to come to the rescue -- not *only* a cute guy who you happen to be married to, but also a god with a cape ...”

Lois tried to interrupt, “But …”

Cat wasn’t finished her tirade, she continued, “Excuse me. You asked, I am answering. You've got something the rest of us don't have, Lois. So it would be nice if for once, just once, you could admit that you have bad days, problems, and *fears* just like the rest of us mortals.”

Cat was finished and with a disgusted snort turned on her heel and started to stalk away.

Lois took a deep breath and stopped her, “Cat!’

Cat stopped and turned back toward Lois.

Lois shrugged and admitted, “Okay, I *was* scared … a lot.”

Cat stood there just looking at Lois for a time, judging her sincerity and eventually she started to smile and turned away to return to her desk satisfied that she had gotten Lois to finally admit to a fault. Finally she admitted that she wasn’t Superwoman. She had fears like everyone else. Somehow that was a comfort to Cat. It brought Lois down closer to her level.

As Cat stalked off, Clark approached and asked, “What was that all about?”

“Oh, Cat just wanted to be reassured that I’m not superhuman like someone we won’t name. That I am subject to the fears common to humanity.”

Seeing that she had materials still on her desk he said, “I guess it would be foolish to ask if you were ready to go.”

Lois swept her hands over her desk to indicate the materials spread out as she said, “I’ve just got …”

Clark joined her in her answer and it was like a minor echo, “... A little more work A little more work to do. to do.”

Leaning in close, Clark said, “I want you to promise me you won’t leave until I get back.”

Looking around and dropping her voice to a conspiratorial level, she asked, “What is it? Fire, car wreck, hostage crisis?”

He smiled and replied, “Nothing so mundane, I’m going to look for Barbara Trevino.”

Lois looked at him in disbelief, “We have no idea where she could be. How do you expect to find her when the police haven’t been able to?”

He simply said, “It’s worth a shot and it’s better than sitting around here doing nothing. Do you promise not to leave?”

Lois gave him a look and asked, “Do you want it in blood?”

Clark replied, “No, you don’t need to do that, but I don’t want to leave you here alone, either.”

Jimmy had just returned from the darkroom and as he exited the elevator heard the end of Clark’s statement. Jimmy offered, “I’ll stick around.”

Not realizing he was around, at the sound of his voice, both of them looked up.

“I don’t mind, really.”

Clark nodded his thanks to Jimmy and started to turn to leave, but before he did he turned back to Lois.

She asked, “What?”

Trying to reassure her he said, “I’ll be back in a little while, okay?”

“Okay. See you soon.”

Clark strode to the stairwell and exited. A few seconds later Superman was seen flying by the Planet building. He stayed at relatively low level and started canvassing the city.

Lois had been working at her computer typing up her notes and creating the outline of her story when she reached for her coffee mug and found it empty. She looked around and spotted Jimmy who was surfing the internet. She shouted over, “How about a cup of coffee?”

He didn’t even look up and replied, “Sure, I’d love one.” Then he realized that it wasn’t an offer and getting up approached Lois’s desk and picked up her cup. He said, “I’ll be right back,” and headed for the coffee station.

Lois had switched back to her notebook and pencil. As she was writing she pressed too hard and broke off the point of her pencil. Growling in frustration she searched through the drawers of her desk looking for a replacement. She found a number 2 pencil box and grabbed it only to find that it was empty. She shoved the drawer closed in frustration and standing headed in the direction of the supply closet.

On her way to the supply closet she passed the cleaning woman, barely noticing her.

Lois entered the supply closet and switched on the light. Moving past several shelves she found the pencil supply on a shelf at eye level. As she was reaching for a box she heard the door close and jumped because it startled her. Spinning around saw the cleaning woman.

Lois said, “Oh, you scared me. Are you looking for something?”

As Lois was asking this the cleaning woman reached behind herself and locked the door.

Seeing this Lois took a closer look and belatedly recognized Barbara Trevino.

Trevino pulled a gun and said, “I found it. Now, tell me where that notebook is.”

Lois tried to hedge, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

While she had been speaking, Trevino had started to remove her makeup. There had just been enough to alter her appearance slightly. “I knew Winninger was about to expose my true motivation in wanting to be appointed chairperson of the Rain Forest Consortium. From there it would have been easy to grant Hobbs the exclusive strip mining licenses they needed to exploit the area. So, I called on our old friend Finn to eliminate him. But, Finn left a loose end, you.”

Lois choked out, “Me?”

Barbara agreed, “Yes, you and the notebook. Where is it?”

Trying to put her off, Lois said, “There's nothing in the notebook except Winninger's processing formula for the male potency plant.”

Barbara looked surprised and said, “Then I guess I went to a lot of trouble for nothing. But, with the strip mining proceeding even as we speak and you eliminated ...”

Lois gasped out, “Eliminated?”

Barbara shrugged and said, “I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.”

Jimmy had poured himself and Lois each a cup of coffee and returned to her desk. He was surprised when she wasn’t there and looked around. He didn’t see her in the newsroom. Looking at her desk he spotted the empty pencil box and concluded that she had gone to the supply closet. He didn’t think that it should have taken her this long to get a box of pencils and decided to investigate.

He crossed the floor to the supply closet and tried the door only to find it locked. He rattled the doorknob a few times and then stepped back, puzzled.

As Barbara was taking aim at Lois she heard the noise of Jimmy trying the door behind her and halfway turned in that direction. She realized her mistake and whirled back to Lois.

Lois had heard the noise and seen Barbara’s distraction and seized the opportunity it afforded. Launching herself at Trevino she grabbed the arm with the gun and forced it up.

Trevino reflexively pulled the trigger firing into the ceiling. Lois used both of her hands to slam Trevino’s gun hand into the shelves. Hearing the shot, Jimmy redoubled his efforts to get into the storeroom.

Hearing the shot with his superhearing Superman zeroed in on it and realized that it had come from the Daily Planet. Changing course he headed in that direction.

Trevino continued to try and bring her gun to bear, but Lois was able to stave her off. Lois kept slamming Trevino’s hand into the shelves trying to dislodge the firearm from her grasp. Trevino was using her free hand to grab Lois’s throat in an attempt to strangle her. Finally they both fell to the floor and Lois shouted, “Help!”

Suddenly there was a crash that neither heard as they wrestled on the floor. Seconds later Trevino relaxed her grip and dropped the gun. Looking up, Lois saw that Trevino had a pair of hands around her neck which caused her to drop the gun so that she could use both hands to dislodge them. Looking up the arms she saw who it was that had saved her, Jimmy!

Lois shouted, “Jimmy, help me hold her.”

Jimmy knelt and pushing Trevino to the floor and started to hold her down, but a savage twist by Trevino freed her and she bolted out through the door.

She was only gone for a few seconds when she came back in, propelled by a pair of blue spandex clad arms and Superman followed her in.

Relief flooded through Lois at the sight of her husband, but she couldn’t resist getting in a little dig, “Cutting it a little close there, aren’t you, big fella?”

Clark was relieved. If Lois could make a comment like that, she was okay. To be sure, he asked, “Are you all right?”

Lois replied, “I am, but the rain forest isn’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll explain later. Right now you need to fly to the Amazon and prevent Hobbs Mining from destroying the rain forest.”

Nodding in understanding he took a large cable-tie used for bundling file folders and used it to bind Trevino’s hands behind her back. As soon as this was done he flew out through the large windows en route to the Amazon. Remembering the map that he had seen in Winninger’s notebook he knew where to go.

He was almost too late. As he landed he spotted a number of men clustered around a detonation plunger. The leader of the group signaled and a warning horn began to sound. Those standing around, if they didn’t already have them on, donned hard hats.

He shouted, “Alto!”

With a sneer the foreman ignored his command. Seeing the leader or foreman approach the plunger, Superman knew his time to act was short. At superspeed he moved to where the cluster of wires that were attached to the detonator began to separate and picking up the entire cluster tore them apart just before the foreman plunged the handle down.

When nothing happened the foreman looked up in bewilderment.

Superman was standing there holding the severed ends of the wires in each hand. In Spanish he told them that the mining operations were being stopped.

The foreman took off his hard hat and threw it down in disgust.

Back in the states Lois and Jimmy had been busy on the phone calling the State Department and anyone else they could think of. They had finally gotten through to the Rain Forest Consortium and presented their evidence. In the meantime the MPD had arrived and collected Barbara Trevino and the weapon that she had tried to shoot Lois with.

As soon as the RFC was enlightened about Trevino’s activities they contacted Brazil and cancelled the contract with Hobbs Mining.

Finally, Lois hung up the phone and said, “Superman got there in time. All mining operations have been suspended and the authorities are cleaning house at the Rain Forest Consortium. I guess everything's back to normal.”

Just as Lois finished speaking, Clark exited the elevator. He asked, “Sorry I took so long. Anything happen while I was gone?”

Jimmy looked at Lois and smiled thinking that he was one up on Clark and said, “Not a thing.”

Clark looked at Lois and shared a smile with her.

Lois put away her pencils and cleared her desk. When she finished she said, “Come on.”

“Where are we going?”

“I’m finished here for the night. Let’s go home.”

Smiling he helped her on with her coat and they walked out arm-in-arm.

As they approached the apartment, Clark said, “You know, I’m having second thoughts about your old apartment.”

‘Oh? Why?”

“The other apartment might be smaller, but it does have the balcony that I can use when I leave and return. Your old apartment doesn’t. Back when you lived there, the occasional visit by Superman at the window, well, something like that could be accepted, but to have him leaving and returning on a regular basis … someone could start to put two and two together and I don’t think we’d want that sum to be made known.”

“What about when your folks come to visit?”

“I think they’ll just have to stay in a hotel, at least until we can find a bigger place that will suit our needs.”

“Okay, let’s move back.”

“I’m surprised that you’re not putting up much of a fight.”

“Clark, honey, wherever we are, as long as we are together, that’s home for me. Besides, your apartment always felt more homey than mine did. Stop and think, when we had work nights, where did we usually end up? Your apartment. When we had movie nights where did we have them? Your apartment. Whenever I was frazzled and needed to feel safe and protected, where did I come? To you and your apartment. Do I need to go on?”

Laughing he said, “I think you’ve made your case. I guess we can start moving back tonight.” With an ornery grin he started rubbing his back and added, “I have to admit, it’ll be a relief. Those couches of yours aren’t that comfortable.”

She grinned up at him and to his surprise, she agreed, “I know. I can’t believe I let that salesman talk me into them. They look nice, but for comfort, your sofa is the best.”

After they were home the first thing they did was pack. At superspeed, Superman ferried the bags to 344 Clinton before going back for Lois. Once there they started putting a meal together. While they did, Lois filled Clark in on what they had been doing while he was in Brazil and he in turn told her about confronting the mining crew.

After dinner they headed for the bedroom. They got undressed and cuddled on the bed. As they started a lovemaking session, Lois said, “Ohhh, I’m glad we were able to save Winninger’s find. This way other couples can experience what we have, but of course, you don’t need any drugs.”

“Oh, are you saying that I’m enough for you?”

“Shut up and make love to me.”

The end

comments go here

TBC in Illusions of Grandeur

Last edited by KenJ; 11/14/14 12:33 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj