Description: Lois meets an old woman that has some unbelievable things to tell her.

TOC / Chapter 1

Previously ...

"When … when I first saw you I thought you looked familiar." Lois spoke slowly and quietly. "Do I? Are you a family member?"

"Kind of," came the non-committal reply. "Lois, don't beat around the bush. You have natural reporter's instincts. Trust your gut. You already know who I am."

"Who?" Lois gulped as she asked.

"I'm you."

Chapter 2

"You're me? That's impossible. Don't be ridiculous." Lois reached down for the handbag which the crazy woman had kindly stuffed her book into. She stood and yanked the bag over her shoulder.

"Lois, I'm from the future, your future," the silver-haired woman said quickly glancing around at the empty tables, "and if you give me chance, I'll prove it to you."

Lois dropped back into her chair. "Really?" she said sarcastically. "So, what shall I call you then?" She glared at the woman.

"Well, I'm not too keen on the idea of 'Old Lois' and Lois would get confusing. But I don't really like Joanne either."

"I know what you mean," Lois muttered and the other woman smiled in triumph. Lois glared at her again. "There's no way you'll convince me if that is your proof."

"Just one of many, Lois. Just one of many. Anyway, back to my name. How about … Lane?" Lane tilted her head to the side, in question.

"I guess that will do." Lois reduced her glare and allowed herself to settle into the chair, rather than perch stiffly. "So, what proof can you offer?"

"Well, I could talk about your parents. Your father's affairs, your mother's drinking. Or maybe Lucy's terrible choice in boyfriends."

"Lucy hasn't got any boyfriends," Lois challenged.

"Not yet. She's only …" Lane paused. "How old are you at the moment?"

Lois crossed her arms and smirked. "Why do I have to answer that when you wouldn't?"

"Touché," Lane nodded and smiled. "I'm ninety-seven."

Lois barked out an unbelieving laugh. "You have got to be kidding. With your silver hair I could believe that, but the rest of your body … no way. You move too gracefully, you speak too clearly. There's no arthritis in your fingers, no loss of hearing, and your wrinkles … while clearly you have some, and are past middle age …"

"Lois. It's true. I know it seems unbelievable, but it all comes down to the man you marry."

"Marry? Well, now you really have me convinced. Lady, you are really barking up the wrong tree here. Your 'proof' is so way off. I'm never getting married. And if you really were a future me, then you'd know that."

"Yes. I know that's how you feel now. But that will change. When you meet him, he'll change everything. He'll change your life, your work, your heart. And he'll change the whole world."

Lois scoffed.

"But, back to my question. How old are you now? I've answered. Whether you believe my answer or not, I have answered."

"Nineteen," Lois grudgingly muttered.

"Then Lucy most definitely does have a boyfriend. You and mom might not know about it, but she's seeing Rob."

"Rob?"

"Mr and Mrs Challenger's son. They own the general store at the corner of the neighbourhood, back at home."

Lois narrowed her eyes. Lane was really messing up all her 'proof'.

"That store is owned by Mr Green."

"Not anymore. You've been at college … what … about eight months?" Lane raised her eyebrows. "Mr Green sold it."

"A likely story. None of this has proved to me, in any way, that you are a future me. A ninety-seven year old future me."

"Of course not, because you keep butting in, or scoffing, or challenging what I say, and don't give me the opportunity to present my proof. Nothing I've said so far was supposed to convince you. It was just in response to your queries. Now, if you'll just shut up and listen." She took a deep breath and looked up. "You once stole from that general store."

Lois gasped in shock.

"Mom was passed out drunk, you couldn't find her purse. Dad had been away for days, and the house needed bread, milk, toothpaste and toilet paper among other things."

"How do you know that? I never told anyone. Lucy thinks I found five dollars in mom's jacket pocket."

"When you really managed to get hold of a couple of dollars a few days later you went back-"

"And explained it all to Mr Green," Lois finished. She recalled the day vividly. The shame at having to admit what she'd done. The embarrassment when he'd immediately known what was wrong at home. "He … he was very understanding. And I got an emergency tab that I could use in the future in similar circumstances."

Lane nodded. Her smile was both wistful and loving. "I'm you."

"No! It's not possible," Lois whispered.

"It is. In that alleyway is a time machine. The man's voice you heard …"

"Your husband?" Lois glanced down at Lane's clasped hands and the rings on her finger.

"God no!" Lane's eyes widened in horror. "Tempus is … well, he's made it his life's work to destroy my marriage, my life, my happiness … my future."

"Tempus? What kind of name is that?" Lois laughed.

"A future name."

"Oh, just like you are from the future. Is he too?" Sarcasm returned.

"Yes, but from further in the future than me."

"Further!" Lois laughed. This situation was getting more and more surreal. Although, she couldn't deny that Lane had known about the corner store. But still, there was no way it could be real. No way at all. In fact, possibly she knew Mr Green … yeah. That would explain her knowing about the shoplifting, and also knowing that the shop had been sold … a fact she could easily confirm by phoning her sister.

"Anyway. Tempus has attempted to interfere with my life on numerous occasions. This was the latest attempt. I don't know what his plan was. Why he brought me here, to meet an nineteen year old version of myself, is beyond me. But, as it is, I overpowered him just as we materialised here. Whatever his plan was … it's now old news."

"You … a ninety-seven year old, overpowered a rather young sounding man!" Lois found herself laughing in disbelief again. "Unless he's also benefiting from whatever youthful rejuvenation treatment your husband invented."

Lane laughed, delighted. "That's not how my husband has contributed to my good health. 'Youthful rejuvenation treatments' … That would be daddy's invention."

"Daddy?"

"Oh, he's going to try his hand at miracle cures and potions and such. Not that a single bottle ever did what he claimed it would."

"So …" Lois lifted her hand and waved it up and down, clearly questioning the source of Lane's health.

"Clark …" she smiled, gently and looked down at the rings on her fourth finger. "He's different. He's a year older than me, but still looks thirty. And being with him, living close to him … his life force seems to have kept me … like this." Lane looked up and shrugged.

"Clark?" Lois asked. She seemed to be asking a lot of single word questions, and repeating what Lane said, but this seemed to be the most important question of them all. She held her breath and waited for the answer.

Time for more comments. And you all thought that Lois knowing the name Kent would be a big thing!!!

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."