Next Thread
Print Thread
#258921 10/22/14 01:17 PM
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
There's a book I'm interested in getting that I could buy in hardcover for $20 or electronically for $10. While I'm generally in favor of physical reading material, this is more of a reference book and I'd like to have it electronically. I don't have an e-reader and would be using the file with my laptop/desktop. My ideal choice would be a .PDF but I'm stuck with a Nook or Kindle format. I know nothing of these formats--is there one version that lends itself to reading on a PC over the other?

Shallowford
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You can download the Kindle for pc app for free at Amazon. Only takes a few seconds. Should give you what you need. I've never used Nook, so no clue if that provides a better reading experience.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
They'll both be epub format, I'd imagine. Depending on what the publisher has done about DRM you may be able to read it on any epub device, but unfortunately it's more likely to be locked to the device you buy it on - there are ways to break this, but it's technically illegal even if it's only for your own use.

If it isn't locked there's a very nice free ebook reader add-on for Firefox which I recommend.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can read my books from Kobo on my PC. It's a Sony Reader and Sony went out of the epub business. Also Nan's Home and Dagger series that KenJ created are readable on my PC. I have Windows 7.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
Thinking about this some more, if it's a text book and has illustrations etc. it's more likely to be a PDF than Epub. If so the security is generally a little less obtrusive; they might watermark it with your email address or lock it with a password that only you should know, but it is less likely to be locked to an individual device.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
PDFs work on the Sony Reader, and of course, the computer. The only trouble I've had is with maps, say one of the Pern books. They are just too small and can't be read well. I don't do textbooks anymore.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard