Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Shallowford reading an ebook on a PC - 10/22/14 05:17 PM
There's a book I'm interested in getting that I could buy in hardcover for $20 or electronically for $10. While I'm generally in favor of physical reading material, this is more of a reference book and I'd like to have it electronically. I don't have an e-reader and would be using the file with my laptop/desktop. My ideal choice would be a .PDF but I'm stuck with a Nook or Kindle format. I know nothing of these formats--is there one version that lends itself to reading on a PC over the other?
Posted By: LabRat Re: reading an ebook on a PC - 10/24/14 06:44 PM
You can download the Kindle for pc app for free at Amazon. Only takes a few seconds. Should give you what you need. I've never used Nook, so no clue if that provides a better reading experience.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: reading an ebook on a PC - 11/07/14 01:48 AM
They'll both be epub format, I'd imagine. Depending on what the publisher has done about DRM you may be able to read it on any epub device, but unfortunately it's more likely to be locked to the device you buy it on - there are ways to break this, but it's technically illegal even if it's only for your own use.

If it isn't locked there's a very nice free ebook reader add-on for Firefox which I recommend.
Posted By: Artemis Re: reading an ebook on a PC - 11/08/14 02:04 PM
I can read my books from Kobo on my PC. It's a Sony Reader and Sony went out of the epub business. Also Nan's Home and Dagger series that KenJ created are readable on my PC. I have Windows 7.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: reading an ebook on a PC - 11/09/14 01:19 PM
Thinking about this some more, if it's a text book and has illustrations etc. it's more likely to be a PDF than Epub. If so the security is generally a little less obtrusive; they might watermark it with your email address or lock it with a password that only you should know, but it is less likely to be locked to an individual device.
Posted By: Artemis Re: reading an ebook on a PC - 11/13/14 03:26 AM
PDFs work on the Sony Reader, and of course, the computer. The only trouble I've had is with maps, say one of the Pern books. They are just too small and can't be read well. I don't do textbooks anymore.
r/
Artemis
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards