All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

When Lois arrived at the Twelfth Precinct she went up to the desk Sergeant and said, “Hi, Coop. I had a call from Henderson. Do you know what it’s all about?”

“Sorry, Ms. Lane. All I know is that he is back at Interview #3. You can go on back … just down that hallway.” He pointed off to the side.

Lois looked where he was pointing and nodded in understanding. “Thanks, Coop.”

“Don’t mention it.”

When she turned away she didn’t see the broad smile that creased his face as if he was in on a surprise that was about to be sprung.

Some time earlier.

Because of the situation following the announcement of the remaining asteroid fragment there had been a commotion at the Fifth Street Mission and the police had been summoned. Bill Henderson had been out on another call and was on his way back to the precinct when the call came in and since he was nearby he stopped in when the uniformed officers arrived.

The disturbance was quickly quelled and as it was Bill couldn’t believe his eyes. Sitting quietly at one of the tables, not having been involved in the disturbance sat Clark Kent. Bill approached him and asked, “Clark, what are you doing here?”

Clark looked up and there was obvious confusion in his eyes. He asked, “Who?”

Bill took in his attire and thought, <Somebody must have mugged him and taken his clothes as well as his money. There must have hit him on the head pretty hard. It’s like he doesn’t remember who he is. No wonder Lane couldn’t find him and why he didn’t come home.> He said, “My name is Bill Henderson, Detective Bill Henderson of the MPD. I’d like you to come with me.”

Clark had worry in his eyes as he said, “Why? Am I under arrest? I didn’t do anything. It was those guys.”

“I know. I’m not arresting you. I need you to come with me because there are some people that have been looking for you.”

“Oh, you know me?”

“Yeah, you could say that. I’ve known you for a while now.”

“We’re friends?”

Bill found himself saying something that in normal circumstances he would never admit to, “Yeah, we’re friends. Will you come with me?”

Clark picked up his tray and carried it over to the serving line and returned it, scraping the remains into the waste receptacle and placing the dishes and utensils in the bins for washing. He turned to the servers and said, “Thank you for the meal.”

The head server replied, “You’re welcome. Come again.”

Looking back over his shoulder at Bill he said, “I don’t know. He says he knows me so I may actually have a home nearby.”

“Good luck, buddy.”

“Thanks.” He turned and joined Bill.

Bill put a hand on his shoulder, said, “Come on, let’s get out of here,” and led him to his unmarked car for the trip to the precinct.

And now:

Chapter 6

After they arrived at the precinct, Henderson led Clark to Interview #3 and said, “Why don’t you have a seat here while I make some calls. While you wait, I’ll have someone come in to ask you a few questions. Is that okay?”

“What kind of questions?”

“We need to see how much you remember.”

“Oh, okay.”

“The person that I want you to talk to is Jerri McCorkle, Doctor Jerri McCorkle.”

As Henderson left, Doctor McCorkle who had already been summoned arrived.

Doctor Jerri McCorkle, a department psychiatrist, came in and sat down opposite Clark at a table. She pulled out a notebook and started taking notes and they spoke.

After introducing herself, she said, “Well, I’ve been told that you don’t remember much.”

His reply wasn’t encouraging, “Yeah, I don’t remember much at all.”

She put on an encouraging expression and said, “Well, let’s look on the bright side, you still remember English. You understood my question and replied. Let’s see how much more you remember. We’ll start simple. Do you remember having a favorite color?”

Clark replied, “Blue. No, wait a minute. Red. I don't know, Doctor. Maybe yellow?” he said in a questioning tone.

The doctor tried to ease his obvious worry, “Don't try so hard, there's no right or wrong answer. Let's try something else. Everything you remember about the last few days.”

Clerk’s reply was actually helpful, “Only the shelter. Then the police officer bringing me here. That's it, I'm afraid.”

The doctor tried another tack, “Have you eaten?” In response to his nod, she said, “Fine. Now, if I told you your name was Clark Kent and that you were a reporter for the Daily Planet, what would your reaction be?”

He wasn’t sure how to respond, “Clark Kent? Do you know that for a fact?”

“That’s what I was told.”

She went on to ask a number of questions until they were interrupted by Bill Henderson.

When Lois entered the hallway she saw Henderson and headed in his direction. As she approached she was irritated that he had pulled her away from the Planet where she thought she would get any word about Superman early, she said, “Henderson, this had better be good. I'm working the asteroid story with my partner AWOL and ...” Bill interrupted her tirade and pointed through what Lois thought was a window. When she looked her heart leapt in her chest. Relief flooded through her when she saw Clark and she blurted out, “What's he doing here? Why didn’t he come home?” She waved and said, “Clark?”

Bill said, “He can’t see you or hear you. That’s one way glass. You can see in, but he can’t see out. It’s also multiple paned so that it’s soundproof. It wouldn't matter, though. He doesn't remember a thing. His name, where he works, me, you.”

Lois let out a little sob. “He doesn’t remember me?” What’s going on? Who’s that in there with him?”

In his normal, deadpan tone, Bill said, “He couldn’t remember who he was. We picked him up at the Fifth Street Mission. I was working the case and brought him in. As soon as I was sure it was him, I gave you a call.” Bill pressed a button and spoke into a microphone, “Doctor?” While waiting for the doctor to come out he said, “It looks like he was mugged. The muggers must have taken everything, including his clothes, that is, of course, unless he was working undercover as a down at the heels mechanic or something. The only explanation I can come up with is that they must have hit him over the head and he has a concussion. His memory has been affected.”

“Where was Bobby?”

Mystified, Bill asked, “Bobby, who?”

“Bobby Bigmouth, he’s one of our snitches. He works at the Fifth Street Mission. If he’d been there, he’d have recognized Clark and called me. I’m gonna have to give him a piece of my mind next time I see him.”

“Don’t be too hard on him. Transportation being what it is and all he might not have been there.”

Just then Doctor McCorkle stepped out through the door and Henderson performed the introductions, “Doctor Jerri McCorkle, Lois Lane, his partner and I now am led to believe, his wife.”

By way of confirmation, Lois held up her left hand to display her rings.

When Doctor McCorkle had exited, Clark had stood and approached the mirror. He started looking at himself and his apparel.

Bill continued, “Doctor McCorkle is one of the department shrinks.”

Lois was glancing frequently at Clark as she talked with the doctor, “What could have caused this? Bill said that he thinks he might have been hit on the head.”

“There are several possibilities. I'd guess anxiety caused by this asteroid could be a factor. On the other hand, these cases are often triggered by some kind of physical trauma. I’ve seen cases of concussive amnesia where a severe blow to the head has been the cause. I’ve also seen it in severe anoxic cases where the victim was deprived of air for an extended period of time. There have been cases of mountain climbers that have run out of air at high altitude. The lack of oxygen to the brain affects the higher functions and often memory.”

Lois knew that she would have to provide cover for Clark. She searched her memory for something, anything that she could say that would protect his secret. Finally she remembered, “He got knocked down by a car and hit his head! But that was the day before yesterday.”

Doctor McCorkle offered, “It could be a delayed reaction.”

In order to muddy the waters even farther, Lois offered, “When he disappeared he was wearing his suit (She said it without the implied capitol.) so I guess a mugging can’t be discounted.” In a small voice she voiced her concern, “Is he going to be okay?”

Clark was still looking at himself in the mirror and had gotten to the point of checking his dental health.

In an effort to reassure Lois the doctor offered, “Physically, he's fine. Whether he's going to regain his memory immediately, I don't know. Based on the battery of questions we ask, it seems Clark suffers from what we call the 'Superman Complex.'”

Lois was concerned that Clark might have revealed something that under normal circumstances he would not have, so trying to deflect she said, “Don’t we all?”

Undeterred, Doctor McCorkle continued, “What I mean is that he's a chronic do-gooder who thinks he can handle anything. This kind of setback can be very frustrating.”

Anxious to end this and get Clark away before his secret was compromised, Lois said, “Tell me what to do.”

Understanding a wife’s anxiety for her husband, in reply Doctor McCorkle said, “Clark needs to be in familiar places, surrounded by familiar people, and do familiar things. It should all come back to him in time. Be patient with him.”

Bill couldn’t resist a parting shot at Lois, “That’s asking a lot, doc.”

Lois was very defensive as she said, “Bill, things are different now. I’m different now. He’s my husband. I can be patient.”

“Okay, Lane, well, he’s all yours. Like I said, I need the space. Get him outta here, please.”

Lois replied, “Thanks, Bill. I really owe you for this one.”

“Pay me back by staying out of my hair for a while, okay. I have enough on my plate right now without having to deal with you and your partner, uh, husband.”

Lois was smiling as she went through the door.

Bill watched through the glass as Lois approached Clark.

Clark looked at her. It wasn’t exactly recognition in his eyes, but there was at least interest.

Stepping up to him, Lois put her hand on his arm and said, tentatively, “Clark?”

He looked at her and asked, “I know you, don’t I?”

Lois smiled at that and said, “Yes, yes you do. In fact you know me very well. Better than anybody else. I’m … I’m your wife.”

At this statement, his smile lit his face. He said, “I was hoping it would be something like that.”

Lois took his hand and said, “Come on, husband. Let’s get out of here and get you into some decent clothes.” Lois hustled them out of the precinct because she wanted to get him into the Jeep as quickly as she could without seeming to be desperate even though that was exactly what she was. Desperate to get him away before he revealed his secret accidentally.

After exiting the Twelfth Precinct Lois had taken Clark to the Jeep and driven home. As soon as they got in the door, Lois said, “Look, why don’t you go on in to the bedroom and pick out some clothes, take a shower and get dressed. I have some calls to make.” Seeing his confused look she pointed and said, “Right through there.”

He nodded, turned in the indicated direction and headed off to get ready.

Lois grabbed the phone and dialed Smallville. The phone rang several times and then the answering machine picked up and Lois heard Martha’s voice, “Hello, this is Chez Kent. You can leave a message after the beep.”

Rather than leave a useless message, knowing that it meant that Jonathan and Martha were on their way to Metropolis, Lois hung up and dialed another number. After one and a half rings she heard, “Daily Planet, Perry White.”

In an excited tone, Lois almost shouted, “Perry, Lois!”

“Lois, honey. What’d Bill want?”

“Bill found Clark! Perry, he has amnesia. He can’t remember anything.”

“Wow, what can we do?”

“The department shrink said that he should be surrounded by familiar people and objects. I’ve got him taking a shower and changing clothes. Maybe that will trigger a memory. I was thinking that I’d bring him in. Maybe seeing the bullpen and his desk will help. Of course, I’ll be spending as much time with him as I can.”

“Sounds like a good idea to me. We’ll all do what we can to help him recover his memory. Bring him on in.”

“Okay, Perry, see you in a while.” She hung up the phone.

Lois moved into the bedroom and was checking the clothes that Clark had pulled out as he came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his hips.

Seeing him, Lois gasped and goggled at him.

He smiled in response and looked down at himself. “Is this okay,” he asked.

Lois walked over to him and placing her hands on his chest stood in tip-toe to give him a kiss, “It’s more than okay. I always enjoy looking at you. It’s one of my special perks as your wife. Unrestricted ogling of my husband’s body. Ooooo, I just wish you had your memory because this could have led to so much more. Right now we have to concentrate on you getting your memory back. Come on, get dressed. I called Perry and he is expecting us to come in. Oh, and your folks are on their way. They’ll probably be here before the end of the day.” Lois was wondering just how much she should tell him and how soon. She decided that first he had to be comfortable with her. Hopefully that would be enough to restore at least some of his memory. Telling him about his powers and the fact that he was Superman would have to wait.

He had a mystified expression as he said, “My folks? My parents? Are they local?”

“No, we are in Metropolis, New Troy and they live in Smallville, Kansas. They said they would catch an early flight. They didn’t answer their phone so they must be on their way.”

When they arrived at the Planet, Lois restrained herself as they rode up in the elevator. She wanted so much to just throw her arms around him and kiss as was their habit. Then the thought hit her, Familiar things, familiar people, familiar activities. Throwing caution to the winds she turned to him and asked, “Familiar?”

He shook his head and said, “No.”

She threw her arms around his neck. Her hand played with the hair at the back of his head as she pulled his face down to hers for a kiss.

He was startled at first, but then quickly moved to deepen the kiss.

As the doors opened, Lois pulled back, breathlessly and asked, “Anything?”

With a wry grin he asked, “I don’t know how I could have forgotten something like that, but no.”

Taking his hand she led him down the ramp to his desk, “This is your desk. Look familiar?”

He looked at the desk and the few things on the surface. He fingered his nameplate and said, “I’m sorry. No.”

Trying to think back to the days before they were married, Lois looked around. Catching sight of the break area she walked in that direction as she was saying, “You always come in and grab a donut from the coffee area. You usually like the cake things with the frosting. These are a little stale. Are you hungry?

“I can't remember anything. I'm not starving. I'm fine.”

Lois crossed to Clark’s desk and pulled out a drawer. She pulled out a spare pair of glasses and handed them to him, “Here, these are one of your spares. I’m sorry I didn’t think to grab a pair from home.”

Clark removed the glasses that Henry O. had given him and put these on. Out of curiosity, he pulled them off and put them on a few times to see what difference they made. He asked Lois, “Are you sure these are mine? They don’t seem to do very much.”

Lois moved close and whispered, “They do plenty. Just wear them and I’ll explain later.”

He nodded and put them on, “Whatever you say.”

Lois asked, “How much did Bill tell you?”

“Well, he told me we were a reporting team. Then you told me that we are married.”

Lois couldn’t help taking advantage of the situation. She said, “Yes, we’re married and in that we are equal partners, but here I have seniority because I’ve been here longer so I’m the senior partner.”

“So, you call the shots?”

“You could say that.”

Acquiescing easily, he said, “Okay, what should I do now?”

Feeling a little guilty about taking advantage of him in this way, Lois relented and said, “Well, actually, we're a team, full partners. Nobody works for anybody. Although, for the immediate future, you may want to follow my lead.”

Clark nodded his understanding, “Probably a good idea.”

Cat came strolling by and seeing Lois and Clark moved to join them, “Clark, welcome back. What happened to you?”

Clark looked at Lois questioningly.

Lois answered his unasked question, “This is Cat Grant. She writes the gossip column for the paper. We write news.” She turned to Cat and said, “Clark has amnesia.”

With a startled look, Cat asked, “Is there a punch line I'm missing?”

Clark replied, “She's telling the truth Miss Grant. I don't remember much of anything.”

Lois said, “The police psychologist said that familiar places, things and people might help restore his memory.”

Cat looked back and forth between Lois and Clark and then made up her mind. She said, “Excuse us a moment,” she grabbed Clark’s arm and pulled him a few feet away.

Cat pulled Clark around to face her and said, with all sincerity, “Oh, honey, it's me, Cat. How can you not remember what we've meant to each other?

Clark replied with uncertainty, “I guess we work together, huh?”

With a leer, Cat said, “Oh, honey, we do a lot more than that.”

Surprised, Clark asked, “We do?”

Cat lowered her voice to a whisper, “We've kept it a secret. You're so worried about what people think.” Cat indicated Lois, “Especially her.” Cat put on a grief stricken act and started to tear up as she continued; “Now you don't even remember … 'us.'”

Cat reached out and pulled him into a hug, “Does this refresh your memory?”

Pushing Cat away he looked at Lois apologetically and said, “I don’t believe a word of it. I may not remember much, but I do know that I wouldn’t cheat on my wife.”

Cat was crestfallen, “Oh, she told you, huh?”

“Of course she told me and I believe her.”

“Rats. Oh, well. Can’t blame a girl for trying.”

Just then Perry approached and cleared his throat. Cat smiled and said, “See ya around.”

Perry stuck his hand out to Clark, “Perry White, Son. Lois told me what happened. Sorry to hear about it.” He noted Jimmy’s approach and performed the introduction, “This here's Jimmy Olsen.”

Jimmy held out his hand to shake as he said, “Hi, Clark. Actually, I always call you 'C.K.’, ‘C.K.’”

Perry turned to Clark and asked, “Now, how you feelin'? Up to going to a news conference?”

Clark’s answer was encouraging, “I think so.”

Perry called Lois over, “Okay, something's cookin' at EPRAD. I’ve had Steve and Frank down there since yesterday. I want the two of you to get down there and relieve them.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/26/14 10:50 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj