All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Clark said, "Thanks, Frank," and placing his free hand at Lois' low back, Clark guided her away. Lois took a sip of her coffee and grimaced. She said to him softly, "Yours is much better."

"Mine has a secret ingredient."

"Oh, what is that secret ingredient?"

He stopped her and looked her in the eyes as he said in a low tone, "Love."

Lois’s knees suddenly felt weak and she had to reach for his arm to steady herself.

The arm that had been at her back was suddenly around her waist pulling her against his body and her knees became weaker still. She just stared up into his dark brown eyes and marveled again that this man was her husband. She just couldn't believe how fortunate she was. <He is one in a million. No, billion. No, trillion. Oh how many people are there on this planet anyhow? And he's all mine.> Her lips parted in anticipation and he didn't disappoint her. He bent down and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

After some time she managed to get herself together indicated her drink and quipped, "If I drank this all of the time, I'd have to spend half the day in the gym."

With a leer, he said, "I don't know about that. You expended a lot of calories this morning and you weren't in the gym."

Playfully she slugged his arm and said, "I guess you may be right. I'm just maintaining my energy levels."

Before Lois could say anymore she was interrupted by a sudden reduction in the light around them. As they looked around it grew darker and darker.

With concern in his voice, Clark asked, "What's going on?"

Lois offered, "Solar eclipse?"

Shaking his head, Clark said, "Nah, they always announce them in advance. Astronomers know when and just where the shadow will fall. About twenty-three or twenty-four years ago, while I was a kid, we took a vacation and went to Canada, Nova Scotia actually. Anyhow, we got to Antiganish just before an eclipse was scheduled to occur. That's the first one I can remember seeing. It looked like this though. Could the astronomers have missed this one?"

As he finished speaking the light continued to fade, Clark, knowing that he might be needed, handed his coffee to Lois to free his hands. Quickly the darkness became profound. The darkness was unbroken by streetlights and drivers had been surprised by the sudden change in the light level. A car that had been making a turn overshot and skidded around a corner near them. Clark could see pedestrians in the way that would be hurt if the driver didn't regain control. The driver also saw the pedestrians and panicked. He slammed on the brake which threw the car into a worse skid, totally out of control. Clark looked around and most people had their heads back, staring up into the sky so he used his super speed to get in front of the car. He braced himself and as the car came within reach he put his hands on the hood. To avoid injuring the driver by stopping the car dead like it had hit a tree, he allowed his feet to skid along the pavement using them to brake the car. When the car was about at a standstill he saw people starting to turn to look so he jumped back as if he had been hit, landing on a pile of boxes and miscellaneous trash that was piled for pickup.

When Lois looked and saw that Clark was missing she looked around and saw him flying through the air into the trash pile. She rushed over to him and helped him up. Under her breath she asked, "How'd this happen?"

As he straightened his tie he said, "Tell you later."

Clark feigned confusion after the collision, but looking up asked, "What happened?"

Lois handed him his coffee, shook her head and said, "The sun just … blacked out! But why?"

Nodding, Clark agreed with her, "Good question."

Smiling, Lois said, "Yeah. But it's going to be an even better story." She pulled him in the direction of the Planet as she said, "Come on. This could be our lucky day."

While Lois dragged him in the direction of the Planet, Clark was distracted by all that was happening around him. People were wandering about aimlessly dazed and confused from the sudden darkness even though it was lifting. He closely examined the streets in the immediate vicinity and didn't see any mishaps like the one he had prevented. Then he looked up and used his telescopic vision to try and determine the cause of this astronomical anomaly as he allowed her to drag him away.

They made their way into the lobby and found the door to the elevator standing open. Quickly entering and pushing the button for the newsroom floor they waited for the doors to close. As soon as they were she was in his arms once again. They were both careful of their coffees that they didn't spill them on each other as their lips merged and their bodies melted into one another.

They had taken this trip so many times that they both knew just how long they had and seconds before the doors were to open they separated. By the time the doors were open they were standing side-by-side with their free hands entwined. Like a switch had been thrown, as soon as the doors were open, Lois was all action. She threw herself down the ramp, nearly at a run, placed her coffee on her desk, dropped her bag on her chair and shouted, "Jimmy!"

Anticipating her, Jimmy had been approaching, "Lois?"

"Jimmy, call the observatory!"

"Which observatory?"

"I don't care, any observatory. We need to know what caused … that!"

Jimmy turned away and as he did, said, "Already on it."

Lois was startled and asked, "Already?" Then Lois noticed what was happening in the newsroom. She had been too focused to see anything but her objective.

And now:

Chapter 2

When they entered the newsroom pandemonium had broken out. People were scurrying hither and yon. The big screen TV was on LNN and blaring out reports of accidents all over the city, all of them minor. All of this had gone unnoticed by Lois.

Perry spotted them and yelled. "Lois, Clark, my office. Pronto!"

They headed for his office. As they entered, he said, "Close the door."

Clark was closing the door as Perry settled into his chair. Perry said, "I just had a call from the Public Affairs Office at EPRAD headquarters. They're calling all of the major media outlets to let them know about a news conference being held in one hour. I want the two of you over there on this story."

Lois asked, "Is it about that phenomenon that just happened?"

"That'd be my guess, but at this point it's only a guess. Get over there and get the facts."

Clark replied, "We're on it, Chief."

Over the PA system Professor Daitch said, "That concludes our presentation on the so-called 'Nightfall' asteroid. Phones are available for those of you who need to file your stories immediately."

The doors to the Extra Planetary Research and Development, EPRAD, headquarters building burst open and people flooded out. If an observer didn't know better they would be convinced that they were all fleeing a fire. Near the head of the flood of humanity were Lois and Clark.

Lois was wishing that she hadn't chosen to wear heels today. Her choice had not been driven by practicality. It had been driven by what she had chosen to wear. The skirt of her business ensemble was rather short and bright red, a red that pretty well matched Superman's cape. It had a red jacket over and she wore a blue shell under the jacket. The blue of the shell was a near match to Superman's blue spandex. The heels she was wearing were her favorite for that outfit. The height of the heels added length to her already long shapely legs, but they gave her calves definition and she wanted to look especially good for her husband today after their wonderful morning tryst.

Now however, they were proving to be a hindrance. They had just been to the news conference and as they were released everyone was making a mad dash for the public phones in the kiosks just outside. Unfortunately, the number of reporters far exceeded the number of phones available. It was first-come-first-served and Lois was determined to be one of the first ones at the phones.

Lois indicated a TV reporter by the name of Frank Madison, who was on their heels, to Clark and said, "Take out Madison. He's behind you."

Clark was incredulous and said, "Why bother? Lois, these TV guys all get on the air before our afternoon edition anyway.

Suddenly Mad Dog Lane made an appearance. She gave Clark a push which sent him into Madison, knocking him down.

Clark offered Madison his hand and said, "Sorry. Sorry, I …"

While Clark was helping Madison, Lois was behaving like a tight end in a broken field run for the end zone. She bobbed and weaved her way to the phones and managed to grab a handset just a nanosecond before it was going to be snatched by a reporter from the Star. She gave him a smug look as he said, "Give me a break, Lane," in a whiny tone.

As Clark finally approached, Lois was punching in the number for the Planet.

"Lois, was that really necessary?"

Lois' reply was succinct, "Kill or be killed."

Clark was taken aback, "Lois, you're talking about war. This is journalism!" Clark marveled that Lois had changed so much and she still hadn't changed that much. In her personal life she was sweet and tender, but at work she was still a success driven journalist.

The phone was starting to ring as she said, "See? Your problem is you think there's a difference." The phone was picked up and she heard Perry's voice, "Perry? Lois. Here's the story. It was an asteroid. What? Oh, okay." To Clark she said, "He's transferring me to re-write." When the phone was answered, she began dictating the story. "Okay, it was definitely a solar eclipse, but get this, it was caused by this huge asteroid nobody's ever heard of before. I think there's more here than they're telling us ..."

As Lois was dictating the story, Professor Daitch, the man who had conducted the briefing, came out through a side door and approached the phone kiosks. Spotting the object of his search, he approached, Clark. When he was close, he said, "Mr. Kent? Might I have a moment of your time?"

Clark nodded and after the professor looked around assessing the situation he inclined his head and the two of them stepped away from the milling throng so that they could have some privacy for their conversation.

Clark was curious of the reason for the private conversation. Why should he be singled out from all of the reporters? He asked, "Is there an update to the briefing?"

Professor Daitch shook his head and his face was tight, giving the impression of a person under a lot of pressure with no time for idle conversation. He got right to the point. "I understand the Daily Planet has a 'special' relationship with Superman."

Being careful how he replied, Clark said, "We've gotten our share of exclusives."

Daitch looked around to make sure that they weren't being eavesdropped upon and asked, "Can you get a message to him?"

Still being careful, Clark answered, "I could try."

Daitch said, "I need to see him ... here … this evening."

Clark's curiosity was getting the best of him and he asked, "What's the message?"

Lois had been curious about why Daitch had pulled Clark aside and had been watching as they stepped away and started talking. She was so distracted that her dictation of the story had some long pauses as she tried to hear what was being said.

Lois hung up the phone, but continued to stand in front of it, blocking access. She was so occupied that she didn't hear a female voice at her side saying, "Lois, you done? Lois! Hello!"

The professor simply shook his head and seeing Lois was finished her call and knowing the she would be joining them shortly, he simply said, "Please," and walked away.

As Daitch was leaving, Clark returned to Lois’s side. Lois gave Clark an inquiring look. She asked, "What'd he want?"

"He wants us to pass a message to Superman that he wants to see him, tonight."

As she picked up her bag and stepped away from the phone, that same female voice said, "Thank you," in a sarcastic tone.

It was later in the evening when they returned to the Planet. Perry called a staff meeting so Lois and Clark joined their colleagues in the conference room.

As Perry entered, he said, "Okay, people, I know we're working late, but this is a big one. I got us an extra half-hour before we go to press. Let's make the most of it." He looked back and forth between Lois and Clark then said, "Lane, Kent. One of you should be writing."

Lois and Clark traded looks. Lois knew that Clark had to meet with Daitch so she said, "Clark, why don't you …"

He looked at Perry and said, "I'm on it, Chief." Clark gathered up their notes and left the conference room.

Since everyone else was in the conference room, Clark brought up his computer and started his word processor. Keeping his speed down to a point that the computer could keep up with him he typed up what they had, referring to the notes frequently. By using super speed he was able to accomplish in a minute what would look to anyone else to be an hour's work.

Satisfied that what he had would pass muster, he sent it to Lois' computer and scrawled a note, "Lois, be right back," and dropped it on her desk. He knew that she would cover for him, but the note would help.

While Clark had been doing his thing, the meeting had progressed. Perry had turned his attention to Jimmy. "Jimmy, how's the lab coming with the slide from the telescope?"

Jimmy answered, "They said it'd be ready on time."

Perry's anxiety was obvious as he said, "I want you to go down to the lab, grab one of those folding chairs, set your fanny down and wait. The second that picture's ready, I want it in lay-out. "

Jimmy couldn't help, but feel that would be a waste of time and spoke up, "Okay, but I was thinking I could be more help ..."

Perry glared at Jimmy and said, "Jimmy, I am in the 'order mode,' not the 'discuss mode.' Now which one are you in?"

With a hang-dog expression, Jimmy replied, "The, uh, 'Grab-A-Chair-At-The-Lab Mode.'

With a smile, Lois said, "Good choice."

Jimmy jumped up and headed for the lab.

Perry turned to Cat and asked, "Now, Cat, where were you when the lights went out this morning?"

With an innocent look, Cat replied, "In bed."

Even though their relationship had changed somewhat now that Lois was firmly with Clark, Lois just couldn't resist the little jab, "What a surprise."

Shaking his head at the banter, Perry continued, "I'm talking side-bar here, ladies. Cat, I want you to call all those big names in that Rolodex you keep locked up in your desk and get me some human interest. If you need help, ask Applegate."

Applegate was sitting next to Cat. He was a skinny guy with lank hair, a dour expression, very prominent Adam's apple, a scrawny neck and to top it all off, an old fashioned bow tie and black rimmed glasses. In other words, he was everything that Clark was not.

Applegate looked at Cat expectantly, eager to get the chance to work with the stunning auburn haired beauty. Cat turned to Perry and said, "I work alone."

Perry accepted her statement for what it was and said, "Then do it fast." To indicate that the meeting was finished, he clapped his hands. "Okay, boys and girls, it's show time. Let's go."

After leaving the note for Lois, Clark had headed for the stairwell. Running up to the roof, he spun into the Suit and took to the air.

The EPRAD center was located outside of town and the complex was arranged like a wheel around a mountain with the observatory on the peak looking like the hub of a wheel, the wheel being the administrative complex.

After a leisurely flight, Superman arrived above the complex. Earlier he, along with Lois and the other reporters, had all been gathered in a large auditorium in one of the buildings below the peak in the administrative area. Unsure of just where to go he first listened with his super hearing. Hearing servo motors running he headed for the observatory and landed outside of the doors. Finding them unlocked, he opened them and walked in. After passing through an atrium with a vacant receptionist desk he passed through a door into the dark observation chamber.

Professor Daitch was sitting on a stool under the eyepiece of the large telescope that was the purpose of the entire building. The professor was so absorbed in what he was viewing that he didn’t even realize that he was no longer alone in the room. One of his hands was on a control and constantly moving it, causing the servo motors that Superman had heard to run, adjusting the focus.

Superman waited patiently until Professor Daitch looked away and picked up a notepad to record his observations and then said, “You wanted to see me, Professor Daitch?”

Startled by this voice from the dark, Professor Daitch almost dropped his notepad, but turning in that direction realized quickly who it was that was addressing him and blurted out, “Superman!”

Superman stepped closer and indicating the telescope asked, “Mind if I have a look?”

Surprised by this request, Professor Daitch stepped aside and said, “I thought you had enhanced visual capabilities.”

With a small chuckle, Superman stepped up to the eyepiece and as he started looking through the telescope replied, “I do, but I have my limits too.”

When Superman looked through the lens he saw what looked like a small globe, however it didn’t have continents and oceans. It also didn’t look like the moon or any other celestial body he was familiar with. He asked, “What am I looking at Professor?”

“Oh, that’s 4581 Asclepius. It’s a relatively small NEA or Near Earth Asteroid. I was hoping that by studying that I could develop some ideas on how to handle ‘Nightfall’.”

Stepping away from the eyepiece, Superman asked, “It’s *not* Nightfall?”

“Uh, no. Nightfall is on the sunward side of the planet. We’re facing away from it right now. That is why I was studying 4581 Asclepius. I do have some slides that I took earlier today.”

Professor Daitch led Superman over to a desk with a computer setup. After bringing the computer up he called up the pictures. “These are Nightfall. Note the umbra … these were taken during the eclipse that it caused. We only have an optical device available here. With the sun behind the object we can’t see any detail.” A note of envy crept into his voice as he continued, “We’ve been in contact with a radio-telescope facility and they have sent us some detailed images.” He called up a different set of pictures.

Superman asked, “Is it a difference in magnification or is this object … larger?”

“You’re right, Superman, it isn’t an optical illusion or a difference in magnification. This object is much larger. It’s approximately seventeen miles in diameter.”

Superman let out a low whistle before he said, “Fascinating what kind of surprises the universe can turn up, isn't it?”

Daitch said, “Yes, I have to agree with you, Superman. Seventeen miles and travelling at close to thirty-thousand miles per hour.”

Superman looked away from the monitor where he had been studying the object and facing Daitch asked, “You told Kent and the other reporters as much at the news conference. Why am I here?”

Directing Superman’s attention back to the monitor, Daitch called up a program. A computer animation began to play and as it did they were distracted by a stylized, digital countdown on a big screen, next to the one showing the animation, complete with the EPRAD space logo which popped into existence. The clock read the hours, minutes and seconds as they counted down. Turning back to the animation, they watched as a marble sized object approached a baseball sized object and then … impact. Daitch said, “The large sphere represents the Earth. The smaller on represents ‘Nightfall.’ If my calculations are correct, in a little over four days, it's going to hit the Earth.” He indicated the countdown clock and then continued, “The sky, literally, is falling.”

Grasping the seriousness of the situation, Superman asked, “What kind of damage could that cause?”

Daitch said, “Okay, I see you’ve grasped the gravity of the situation and want to cut right to the chase. You’re right, there’s no time to beat around the bush. Superman, this could knock the Earth off its axis. Even throw us out of our current solar orbit. Depending on the angle of impact it could accelerate or retard the Earth’s orbital speed. A slight increase and we would move farther out, possibly to a point where all of the water on the earth would freeze. A slight decrease and we would move closer to the sun and all of the water could evaporate. The tolerances are very slim either way. This is *far* larger than the meteor that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. Even if it doesn’t disturb the Earth’s orbit, the ejecta from the impact crater alone will throw enough dust into the air to start a new ice age.” Professor Daitch paused as he saw Superman’s brow furrow. Then he resumed, “I know it’s a lot to get used to.”

But Superman’s brow had furrowed because he had heard a soft sound. Checking to see what had caused it he had used his x-ray vision to look through a door. When he did he saw two men. One was a somewhat portly older man who wore a business suit. The other a distinguished looking black man in an Air Force blue dress uniform which had several rows of ribbons representing medals over his left breast pocket over them was a set of flight wings and a row of four stars lined his shoulder epaulettes.

Superman held up his hand and said, “No, it’s not that. We’re not alone.” Turning toward the nearby door, Superman said, “Might as well come out, gentlemen. I know you're there.”

In response to his invitation the door opened and the two men he had seen came into the observatory and approached Superman and Daitch.

The officer spoke first, “Superman, my apologies. We felt you should hear the news from Professor Daitch before we were introduced.” He extended a hand to shake Superman’s as he performed the introductions, “I'm General Robert Zeitlin. This is Secretary John Cosgrove.”

There were formal handshakes all around.

Superman assumed that they were here to tell him that the government was going to keep a lid on this information and said, “You can’t keep this secret.”

Secretary Cosgrove spoke up, “The President will tell the public, but he wants to avoid panic, too. He simply wants to get you on board before making an announcement.”

Superman asked, “I take it this means that you agree with the professor’s calculations.”

General Zeitlin replied, “Yes. But, unfortunately with something this size, there is no military option. We're looking into modifying a rocket but, at best, it would be a fifty-fifty proposition.”

Secretary Cosgrove hastened to add, “We need to improve those odds. The country needs your help, Superman. In point of fact the world needs you.”

Superman maintained his outward calm although inside his emotions were running wild. He said, “Of course. But you're asking me to fly a million miles into space to stop a piece of rock the size of Metropolis that's travelling faster than any spacecraft we've ever made.”

This answer worried Cosgrove. He asked, “Can you?”

Superman considered his answer and finally had to say, “I don’t know.”

Zeitlin was serious when he said, “You’re our only hope.”

Turning to Daitch and referring back to his earlier comment, Superman said, “I guess we’re about to find out what my limits really are.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/12/14 10:39 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj