Chapter 18: The New Pact

Lois Lane woke on the morning of her wedding earlier than ever before. And it wasn’t by accident, or forced by the alarm clock from hell, it was by choice. Her first thought brought a smile to her face.

I’m going to become Mrs Superman today.

Stretching her arms above her head she wiggled down under the covers a little. It was warm and cosy. But not warm and cosy enough. Something was missing. It was strange to think of it that way. He’d never shared her bed yet, but it still felt like he was missing from that spot. Although, after tonight. She felt her cheeks hot with her blushes and she leapt out of bed before she could continue that train of thought.

She lingered in the shower letting the hot rivulets of water slide down her back, over her curves and down her legs. The steam fogged up the glass cubicle. Her breath came in short pants with the thickness of the air causing her to remember that night seven weeks ago when Clark had dropped her off at the apartment.

Lois pocketed her door key and turned back to Clark to say goodnight only to have him swoop down and take her lips in a searing kiss. She was tempted to lean herself back against the door so that her legs didn’t have to take all her weight but she’d just unlocked it and thrust it open. When Clark brought one hand round to the small of her back and drew her in close she knew it didn’t matter; he would support her.

Her arms were trapped between both chests so she inched them up and over his shoulders. Linking her fingers behind his head she drew him in deeper. When she opened her lips he dived in with his tongue immediately. A moan escaped and she rocked her hips closer to him.

Their kisses had steadily been getting hotter since she’d returned from visiting Lucy and the passion grew exponentially after the real proposal. Somehow, in the church this afternoon, they’d been unable to keep from leaping on each other the moment the minister left the room. And now ... they were back at the door to Lois’ apartment just hours later.

Lois shivered as Clark’s hand moved lower and then gently cupped her bottom. That’s when her knees gave out and she found herself in his arms, ‘Superman Save’ style. It broke the kiss and they just stared into each other’s eyes. Lois recognised the look on Clark’s face. It was impossible to count the number of time she’d seen it, on both Clark and Superman. Over the years it had become more frequent and more intense.

Now there was a hunger part to it; a need, driving both of them to the edge.

Clark tensed a moment then took a step towards the open doorway. He stilled and then raised his head to look upwards but closed his eyes. When he looked back down he took a deep breath then spoke quietly. Lois could hear the raw passion in his voice.

“Lois, I want to take you inside and ...” he glanced down again. “If we hadn’t booked the church just this very afternoon then I would be taking you inside and holding you tight all night. But I want to carry you over the threshold on our wedding night. And it is only seven weeks away now. It will kill me to do it, but I want to make that night special.”

Lois nodded and Clark let her down slowly. “I,” she paused to clear her throat from the lump choking her. “I agree, Clark. We should ... we can wait seven weeks.”

Clark lifted a hand to her cheek. “I don’t think I’d be doing this if we hadn’t finalised the date.”

“I know what you mean, Clark.” She lifted her hand to his cheek. Sliding her fingers into his hair she pulled him closer. “Goodnight Clark,” she said just as they touched lips. She felt herself being swept away again when he nibbled her lower lip.

Clark pulled away reluctantly. “I should go, before I change my mind.” Lois nodded. “It’s only seven weeks, but it’s going to seem like seven years.”

But the seven weeks had passed in a blur of whirlwind preparations. Two weeks ago, when Martha had put the last major items in place, Lois had felt a peace come over her. That didn’t mean she hadn’t experienced moments of sarcasm and bossiness. The news floor had been continuously on alert for an outburst from ‘Mad Dog Lane’.

When the doorbell rang, interrupting her reverie, Lois opened her eyes in shock. “She’s here already. Oh gosh. I’m already behind. I’m going to be late on my wedding day.”

Climbing out of the shower and reaching for a towel she shouted out as loud as possible. “Hey Lucy, I’m coming.” She wrapped the towel round her body and sprinted for the door, water dripping from her hands, feet and hair. At the door she let in a shocked Lucy.

“Lois!” she exclaimed.

“I know, I know,” she flustered and ran back to the bedroom to change into a robe.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Two hours later and Lois was sitting on the couch, hair in alien sci-fi rollers, with Lucy painting her nails.

Cindy was in the kitchen making a pot of coffee; the third one Lois had demanded since her arrival. Lois was buzzing with caffeine and it was taking ultimate willpower to keep her hands from shaking while Lucy gave her the manicure.

“So, you promised us girl talk ... including an explanation about Trivial Pursuit night ...” Cindy placed down the steaming pot and peered at Lois. Her heart suddenly jumped and she looked around to escape but she was trapped. Lucy still held onto her right hand applying the clear gloss finish.

“Oh, well ... um ... we can get to that later.” She blinked her eyes and tried a distraction technique. “How about I tell you how he proposed?”

“You did that at the bachelorette party,” replied Lucy.

“Four times,” growled Cindy.

“And the story became more wild and romantic and unbelievable with each telling.” Lucy pointed at her with a nail brush before stroking over the final nail and then releasing Lois’ hand.

“Then how about the time we went on our first date to the worst movie ever?”

“Lois, that was only two months ago. You’re talking like these events are years ago and we will have forgotten them.” Cindy placed her hands on her hips.

Lois sank down into the couch and sulked. “Hmmm. Well then I guess you’ll have to make do with the story of us making out in the minister’s office,” she grinned as she spoke and sat up quickly.

“Yuck, Lois we don’t want that kind of detail.” Lucy shook her head and stood up, turning away and packing up the manicure kit. Lois noticed and widened her eyes in surprise.

“Oh, I’m ready?” she asked.

“Fully cooked, sis,” Lucy quipped.

Lois squeaked. “So is it time for the dress.”

Cindy sighed. “Lo, it’s not even lunch time. You and Clark are having an afternoon wedding, remember?”

“Hmmmph,” Lois said and slumped back again. “This day is going sooo slow.” She crossed her arms in defiance then suddenly uncrossed them in horror. “Oh, no. My nails.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark strolled into the kitchen at the farm, a feeling of peace spreading over him. He turned to see his mother struggling with a flower for her lapel.

“Hey, let me help you,” he reached out his arm and stepped forward.

“Thanks honey,” she replied and passed him the blue posy. She took a deep shuddering breath and relaxed.

“Mom, are you alright.”

“I’m fine sweety. It’s just,” she looked up and he stilled with his hands half way to her lapel, “my boy is getting married.”

Clark noticed the tears in her eyes and felt them threatening in his eyes too. His father stepped over and put an arm around her. “Now Martha, we always hoped this day would come. You know that.”

Clark gave her a wistful smile. “It’s not like I’m leaving home and you’ll miss me. I’ve been gone for years.”

“I know you live in Metropolis now, Clark, but there’s just something about this. The change, the commitment. I’m so happy for you.” She smiled and the tears tricked down her cheeks.

“Me too, son. I’m very proud of you. Of everything you are doing in Metropolis, the man you’ve become. And to know that you are marrying the woman you love today. Oh, Clark!” He stepped over and placed a hand on Clark’s shoulder

“Thanks mom … dad. I’m happy too.” Clark returned to fixing the flower to Martha’s jacket. “You know, I never would have expected this day to come eight years ago. When I first met her, she fascinated me – yes – but she also drove me mad. She was so rude, and domineering, unfeeling. Plus she made her opinion of me quite clear on numerous occasions. And if somehow you’d convinced me this day would come, there is no way I would have thought she was doing it of her own free will.” Martha and Clark both laughed. There was also a chuckle from Jonathan, standing behind.

“Oh, I don’t know. I could always imagine a spark of something between the two of you. Whenever you spoke of her...” Martha’s eyes twinkled.

“Yes. I have to admit, looking back, I guess I could to. But at the time ...” He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head to the side.

“She hated the sight of you?” Martha finished for him.

“Well ...” he turned away awkwardly. “Hate is such a strong word.” Turning back there was a grin on his face. “More like detested violently.” He laughed and scooted away before his mother could hit him with her handbag. He knew Lois had dealt with seriously conflicting emotions regarding him and Superman since the beginning. But her initial reluctance and resentment over Clark had actually only lasted a short while.

“You better super-speed me to the church before I tan your hide, Clark Kent,” she spoke sternly.

“Of course mom, but Jimmy will be waiting at my apartment by now, and it’s a little early for the church. Hold onto your hat and I’ll get us there in one piece. I’ll be back for you in a moment, dad.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So was the journey easy?” Jimmy asked Martha and Jonathan nervously.

“Yes Jimmy,” replied Martha

“It’s a nice day, no bad weather on the horizon.”

“No, Jimmy,” said Jonathan.

“So there were no traffic jams in the centre of Metropolis?”

“No Jimmy, Clark got us here safe and sound from the Metropolis Hilton, and in plenty of time.” Martha smiled at the young photographer who seemed overly nervous.

Clark chuckled to himself and slowly shook his head while he fastened his bow tie. Listening to the three of them in his living room was quite amusing. A sudden scream invading his hearing had him speeding to the balcony, ready to leap out until he stopped himself. One hand was already on the door frame, the other at his shirt but he took a deep breath and then stepped away from the opening.

“No, not today.” He recalled the morning, while he’d still been alone. Needing to keep himself occupied until time to go for his mother and father, and Jimmy’s arrival, he’d put on his other suit and gone patrolling. It had been the most satisfying way to release his tension and anticipation. The criminal underworld would tell stories of this day.

Superman raided known drug dens and smuggler’s warehouses. He stopped bank robberies and street muggings. He rescued every cat stuck up a tree.

By the time he needed to be going for his parents things had started to slow. At first he thought it was his own good work but he soon noticed that something else was interfering. Arriving at the scene of a highway crash he found Martian Manhunter already dealing with the disaster. Tuning in his hearing he sped off to another bank robbery only to arrive and find Flash already there. After that he came across Green Arrow capturing a mugger, then he bumped into Diana while doing another aerial sweep.

His suspicions aroused he focused his hearing and vision in tandem, looking for someone in particular.
There, I knew it. Clark sped to the rooftop and landed behind the man he knew would be responsible.

“Bruce,” he spoke.

“Clark,” came the reply and the black clad man turned, not showing any surprise that Superman had just landed behind him.

“What’s the meaning of all this?” Superman gestured out, sweeping his hand over the city.

“It’s time for you to take some time off. If I ... or one of my team ... see you answer any call, short of all out alien invasion, between now and your return from honeymoon I will be forced to take serious measures.”

Clark had heard absolutely no sign of teasing in Bruce’s voice. His mind shuddered at the thought of the serious measures Bruce had mentioned. He was quite capable, with the item stored in the Bat Cave. Clark had immediately left and sped off for the farm to collect his parents.

“No need to answer any calls for help, Kent,” he spoke to himself. “The League have it covered.” He turned away from the window and returned to fastening his bowtie

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hours later Clark was standing at the far end of the room staring at his beautiful wife. He couldn’t believe how lucky he was. She’d been his wife now for ... he held up his arm and checked the time ... three hours, twenty minutes.

The moment he’d seen her walking down the aisle towards him he’d been lost. The vision of loveliness was forever etched on his eidetic memory. His pulse had been racing, increasing in reaction to the decreasing distance between them as she slowly inched down the carpet.

Now he stood, replete from the wonderful meal and ready to give his speech, but all he could do was drink in the sight of her. She sat in her place, at the head of the room, the focus of everyone’s attention. Her animated gestures to some distant cousin further down the room brought a smile to his face.

In a few minutes he would have to stand up and give his speech, putting into words all the emotion of the day, all the ups and downs of the last few years. It would be impossible to express everything in his heart but he would do his best today, and then spend the rest of his life trying to show Lois all he couldn’t fit into the few words he’d scribbled on his piece of paper.

The paper wasn’t necessary, he knew exactly what he was going to say and his memory was perfect. But to keep up the Clark Kent appearance he had to appear bumbling. The paper was his one concession to that, otherwise he was determined to be his true self today. His speech would be confident, moving, passionate ... and utterly from his heart.

He made his way back to his seat and leaned over to give his wife a peck on the cheek as he sat down.

“Hi honey, I was wondering where you were,” she smiled up at him.

“Just checking on something for later,” he explained. He was about to lean forward and take her mouth once more when he heard the clinking of a glass indicating that it was time for the speeches.

Taking in a deep breath Clark stood slowly. He licked his lips to bring some moisture to them then took a sip of his wine.

Here goes, he thought.

“Years ago we made a pact, Lois and I.” He looked around at all the guests. “We promised each other that, if we were still single at thirty-five, we would marry each other.”

Clark paused and quiet gasps could be heard. Some guests had, clearly, been unaware of The Pact.

“At first I never even considered that there was a chance it would happen.” He laughed lightly. “One or both of us was bound to find someone.” He played up the comedy.

“But as time went on, I must confess,” he spoke conspiratorially to the guests, “I began to feel a sense of impending doom. Having to spend all my life deflecting sarcastic comments from Lois. It was not exactly a dream come true.” There were many giggles around the room. Clark stopped and waited for the heel to dig into his calf, but it never came.

He turned to look at his wife. She was smiling up at him, even after his joking comment.

“But then time continued on, and I realised that it wouldn’t be so bad.” He took on a more serious tone. “You were my best friend. How terrible could it be ... to be married to your best friend?” He shook his head ever so slightly as if to seem confounded over the thought.

“And then, before I knew it, I was looking forward to my thirty-fifth birthday.” A wondrous quality entered his voice. “Waiting impatiently for the day I could say that we were officially engaged.”

“And now,” he blinked away moisture from his eyes and smiled down at Lois. “I am happy to say that being married to you, Lois, will be the most wonderful thing in the world. I cannot imagine a better life, a better future.”

She smiled and nibbled on her lower lip. He could see the tears shining in her own eyes back up at him.

“And so today I make a New Pact with you.”

He reached down and took her hand. Holding it between both of his he began to recite a solemn oath.

“I promise to make you breakfast ... sometimes.”

A laugh rippled around the room, also spilling from Lois’ lips.

“I promise to wake you with coffee ... most days.”

She lifted one eyebrow in surprise.

“I promise to kiss you goodnight ... every night.”

Clark heard a dozen whispered awwww’s.

“I promise to tell you I love you ... every day.”

Clark saw Lois’ emotional control break at that point. One tear rolled down her cheek.

“That is my new Pact, made just for you, Lois.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments go here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."