Chapter 15: Being in Love

Apparently to ‘enjoy being in love’ Clark had to take Lois to the park ... and the fairground ... and ice skating … and the movie theatre. He pointed out that there was an International circus and fairground booked into Centennial Park at the weekend.

“Oh, but I can’t this weekend Clark, I’m visiting Lucy.” Lois suddenly blurted out.

“Oh,” he expelled, disappointed.

“I’m sorry,” she reached out her hand and placed it on his chest.

“Say hi to her from me will you?”

“Of course.” She smiled up at him.

“So, how about a movie on Friday evening then instead?”

She grinned and turned away, striding towards the conference room door. “Sure, but I get to choose. You’d probably pick some foreign artsy film or a boring ...Oh!” She put her hand up to cover her open mouth and turned back round. “I’m sorry Clark, that’s probably all part of your act!” She looked mortified.

Clark frowned at her and took a step backward.

“Oh, gosh. I’m sorry. Is that bit not an act.” Now she looked distraught. “Oh, no. This is terrible.” She turned away and began to stride around. “I can’t believe it. Lois Lane strikes again.” She hung her head in her hands. “Clark, please forgive ...” She turned and stopped. When she saw him chuckling she put her hands on her hips. “Clark Kent, you are so mean. I never thought Superman could be mean.

His chuckles turned into full laughs and she found her mouth quivering, eventually joining him in the amusement.

He strode forwards and cupped her cheek. “You can choose, Lois. I’ll love whatever film you choose.” He lowered his mouth and brushed her lips gently.

She coughed and murmured then gave a slight nod as he pulled away. “Uh, huh. Maybe we should get to work?”

He smiled. “I think that would be a good idea.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois was completely engrossed in her research, strewn all over the conference table, when Clark suddenly jumped up from his seat. She looked up, questioningly.

“Lois, I need to, uh ...” She saw him looking very uncomfortable and she stood up with a query evident on her face.

He glanced towards the conference room door then back at her. “I have to ...”

“What, Clark? What do you need to do?” She stood.

He looked frustrated, as if he didn’t know how to explain himself. Then, all of a sudden, he stood up straighter, whipped off his glasses and tossed them down onto the room-length desk then ripped open his shirt to reveal the red ‘S’.

“Oh!” she mouthed and then he was gone in a sudden breeze which sent papers flying around the conference room.

She dropped back into her chair in shock. Blinking rapidly, her mouth started to twitch and her lips curled up in a smile. She’d known that Clark was Superman since this morning but this was her first experience seeing it. As she leaned back in her chair she allowed herself to remember her previous encounters with Superman. Looking back on them, complete with full knowledge, she now saw things in a different light.

Things Superman had said ... and done; the way he had looked at her sometimes. He was always there to rescue her. He looked after her. It was obvious now ... he loved her. But even before the love had begun to develop between the two of them there had been friendship - connection. Superman had been entwined in her life more that she was aware of for years.

It gave her a warm feeling, a sense of belonging. She was loved, accepted, wanted, desired and cared for. And it was the most wonderful man in the world who ignited all these feelings.

Lois blinked her eyes and realised that she’d lost five minutes of time staring out of the window thinking about Clark.

Clark.

She smiled and absently reached up to her neck and pulled out her birthday present. Sliding the chain between her fingertips she felt the weight of the heart tugging a little.

Clark.

Superman.

She tilted her head to the side and smiled in beautiful surprise. She’d always attributed Superman’s character and personality to his ‘Superhero-ness’. He was kind and compassionate and wonderful ... because he was ... Superman.

But that wasn’t true.

Superman was kind, compassionate and wonderful ... because he was Clark Kent.

That’s where it all came from. That was the source of his ‘Superhero-ness’; his background, his upbringing, his home.

Clark Kent was the Superhero.

And then Lois realised she’d lost another five minutes of time.

“Lois, pull yourself together. You’re acting like a teenager in the throes of her first superstar crush.” She giggled as she pulled herself forward to slide back to the table. “Well, I think you’re entitled,” she replied to herself.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Superman righted the small table and began to pick up the flowers which had been forcibly scattered around the marketplace by his altercation with an angry, supercharged villain, whose slightly purple skin had been disturbing.

“Thank you, Superman,” came the grateful words from the flower stall owner.

He smiled back at her. “You’re welcome, miss.” As he turned to leave his eye caught a beautiful collection of roses just visible from behind a shattered stall. He strode over slowly and reached down, pushing his cape over his shoulder, out of the way. He gently collected together the red, pink and white blooms then straightened up.

Unable to focus on anything but the thought of Lois he felt a smile begin to appear on his face as he marvelled at the soft petals and sweet fragrance.

“Take them.”

“I beg your pardon?” He turned around in surprise.

“Please, take the roses, Superman.” He saw the grateful face of the young girl who tended the flower stall. He could read her expression and tone of voice. She was truly thankful for his help, not just for now, today, but every time he made a difference in the world.

“Thank you, miss. They are beautiful.” He smiled genuinely as he leapt into the sky clutching the bouquet.

He returned to the conference room the same way he left – at superspeed. He made sure that it was Lois, and only Lois in there, before blurring in. Plus he’d left his glasses on his desk. He couldn’t casually stroll through the newsroom without them.

“Clark!” Lois exclaimed when he appeared suddenly. She shot up out of her seat and ran over to the other side of the table.

He strode forwards and when she turned round to face him she had his glasses in her hands.

“You need these on Clark,” she whispered urgently.

“Lois, there’s no-one around. And we’re alone in here.” He grinned at her.

“You can’t be too careful.” She flicked her eyes around him warily, glancing past to the door. He continued to grin at her. When she finally focussed back on him and lifted the glasses up to slide them on his face she smiled. Stepping back she glanced down then frowned.

“What are those for, Clark?” She pointed at the bunch of flowers.

He continued to grin at her for a moment until he realised what she had asked. “Oh.” He held them up. “They’re for you.”

“Oh, Clark,” she reached out a hand, “they’re beaut ... no. No. You can’t buy me flowers,” she exclaimed then backed away waving her hands in front of her to ward away the roses.

“What?” Clark frowned. “I can’t bring my girlfriend flowers.”

“No. Nobody knows we are … you know. And your image. Clark. You can’t be seen to be a romantic, wonderful boyfriend. It’s too good, too perfect. You can’t do that.”

“You don’t want me to be the perfect boyfriend. You know I only do a 'little' bit of playing down Clark Kent, don’t you?” Clark was truly confused. “What’s wrong with Clark Kent being a good boyfriend. How will that damage my image? ”

Lois stopped her fussing and her face softened. She stepped forward. “Oh, Clark,” she sighed and smiled. “You WILL be the perfect boyfriend. I have no doubt.” Her smile reached her eyes and they twinkled. “But we can’t have other people seeing it.” She blinked the moisture away and shook her head. “If they start to see you as romantic then they may move on to sexy, then wonderful, then ...”

“Lois, you sound almost jealous,” Clark teased.

She took a shocked breath then frowned at herself. “Well, maybe I am ... a little. I mean all the world gets to see you in your underwear ...” Clark raised his eyebrows ... “but that’s not actually the point here. We can’t risk anyone gradually changing their perception of you as it could lead them down a dark and dangerous alleyway ... for you.”

He sighed and dropped his head. “Lois, I want to be able to give you flowers, to be romantic.” He looked up into her eyes. “I love you.”

“I know that, Flyboy,” she twinkled at him, testing out a new nickname. “And I also know you.” She placed her hand on his chest. “You’ll be just fine ... as Clark Kent. He’s good enough for me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Working side by side the rest of the week was so hard. The temptation to fall into ‘distraction’ was so great. But Clark found out he had a new Superpower – super-discipline – and he hated it. He wanted to give in; to spend every second revelling in his newfound love; holding her in his arms; stroking her hair; tasting her lips. But he didn’t.

He knew she felt the same. The blistering looks they gave each other, sneaking a peek over the tops of their monitors, were so easy to interpret.

When Friday evening came they both clocked off at precisely 5pm. There were blatant stares following them as they exited, flicked off their computers, grabbed their coats and made their way out of the building. It was unheard of for Lane and Kent to leave at this time on a Friday evening; the best stories were made at this time; people out on the town getting into trouble. The stories were unexpected, they were emotional and passionate, they called out to the heart, and they made great front page headlines.

Outside on the street Clark turned to Lois. “I’ll pick you up at 6:30.”

“Okay,” she replied, her voice so quiet with a mixture of nerves and happiness that she knew only Superman could have heard. Luckily, that was who she wanted to hear it, and that was who was stood next to her, gazing down at her adoringly. “See you then.”

“See you soon,” he said.

Lois felt a shiver run up her spine at the word ‘soon’. Such tantalising promise in that word. As she made her way through the city to her apartment she allowed herself to think over the last few days.

It came as a shock to Lois when she realised that she’d never once doubted herself, or Clark, since the ‘moment’. So often she ran away from complex and emotional situations. But why would she do that here? It was a blissfully happy situation. Then again, Lois always second guessed everything. She could so easily have done that here.

It can’t possibly be a good as I think. There’s no way it will last. How can Superman possibly be in love with me? I won’t be able to cope with this complicated relationship.

But none of those thoughts had ever hit her. And even now she was forcing herself to think them. Making them up. It wasn’t real. The doubts were not real. She had no doubts.

This was IT.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois, unsurprisingly, had chosen an action film for their official first date ... and it wasn’t a good one. Clark found himself shifting uncomfortably in his seat every time the hero made a lame comment or a witty comeback that wasn’t at all witty. He groaned at the sound effects accompanying each punch. And he sighed in despair when the over muscled protagonist swept the girl into his arms and kissed her senseless, ignoring her protests, which obviously ceased after she’d been thoroughly ravished.

“I’m sorry,” Lois apologised as they exited the movie theatre at the end of the film. “I really thought it would be much better.”

“I don’t mind, Lois. I’m just happy I got to spend some time with you.” She turned and smiled up at him saying ‘thank you’ with her eyes.

A short walk in the cool, late evening climate took them back to Lois’ apartment. As they travelled up the elevator in unusual, but comfortable silence, Clark wondered how he should deal with the ‘goodnight’ at the door.

The elevator doors opened and Lois suddenly launched into chatter mode again. “Look, Clark, I’m really sorry tonight’s movie was so terrible, and I can’t make it up to you tomorrow ‘cause I’m off to Lucy’s but you have to believe me that I want to and ...”

“Lois,” he took her hand in his and she quietened suddenly. “Stop it.”

“But the dialogue!”

“I know!” he raised his eyebrows and started to walk her along the corridor.

“And those terrible outfits.”

Clark laughed.

“And the sound effects. I mean, if anyone knows what a real hero/villain fist fight is like it’s you.” She stopped outside her apartment door and turned to face him. “You must have been holding in your anger, or your laughter, in frustration.”

“No!” he spoke quietly. Looking deep into her eyes he felt a change in his mood, deep within his soul. “I was holding on to your hand ... in anticipation.”

Lois’ breath caught and she stilled. Clark lowered his head and brushed her lips tenderly. A slight parting allowed him to sneak a taste of her with his tongue as he swept it gently across her mouth. He drew her close and she melted into his embrace.

A little ironic thought at the back of her mind taunted Lois with the picture of the ‘hero’ getting his girl. But Clark was no hero; at least, not in the same genre as tonight’s lame hero. They couldn’t compare. And, in contrast with the film, Clark most definitely deserved to ‘get his girl.’

Should I let him ‘get’ me? she pondered as she felt his hands slide up her back. Is it too fast? Or have we been waiting for eight years?

Clark slowly released Lois but kept his head close. Opening his eyes he looked into hers and saw questions. Questions he was tempted to answer with dramatic action, but now was not the time.

He took a deep breath then consciously stepped away. He brought a hand up to her cheek. “Goodnight, Lois.”

“Night, Clark.”

“I hope you have a lovely weekend.” He paused. “I’ll miss you.”

“Miss you too, Flyboy,” she squeaked out quietly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments, as always, go over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."