Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awww. How romantic! Loved it! clap More please!

I loved the comparisons of how slow life was in the past and how impatient and fast everything is nowadays (or two years ago).

You have found a simple way of explaining why Clark is the gentleman that we see.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

Pennies were worth a lot more in this time than in her own.
Good point. It's sad how inflation hasn't kept up with what our thoughts are worth.

It was ridiculous, being attracted by a man’s forearms. Was this what it was like for men of this era, everything so covered up that even the sight of an ankle was scandalous?
Oh, yes! clap It reminds me of the line from Anything Goes: "A glimpse of stocking used to be something shocking, now anything goes".

“Are you happy?” Lois couldn’t help but ask. Maybe having his life disrupted would actually be doing him a favor. Robinson seemed like a controlling ass.

“Here? Now?” Clark asked. He smiled suddenly. “I can’t remember being this happy in a long time.”
Oh, dear. Then what will happen to poor Clark's happiness when Lois is sent forward in time again?

I loved everything about the scene of them caught in the rain, too much to quote. Shayne, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite writers on these boards.

blush No pressure or anything. whistle

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I love the mood that you've captured throughout this story. It's mysterious with an undercurrent of sensuality. And, having been to Mackinac Island, I can totally picture in my mind every location your characters visit. I'm very much looking forward to the next part.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
“Are you happy?” Lois couldn’t help but ask. Maybe having his life disrupted would actually be doing him a favor. Robinson seemed like a controlling ass.

“Here? Now?” Clark asked. He smiled suddenly. “I can’t remember being this happy in a long time.”

It took Lois a moment to realize that her cheeks felt warm. That wasn’t what she’d meant at all, but she was suddenly aware that there was something in the way he was looking at her. It wasn’t the look of a man who was being interviewed.
It's fun to think about how something so little makes things so profound when you consider the dating/courting scene of the 1910s.

Clark leaned forward to lift the oars out of the water before pulling back. He’d done this before, apparently. His movements were efficient. He’d taken his jacket off and rolled up his sleeves and she was suddenly very aware of his arms.

It was ridiculous, being attracted by a man’s forearms. Was this what it was like for men of this era, everything so covered up that even the sight of an ankle was scandalous?
The "Conceal to reveal" effect.

Before today, she’d have thought the idea of rowing silently across a lake to be boring. She’d have been checking her telephone repeatedly for updates, looking for the latest news, or worrying about her next story.
It's interesting to see how taking an option away changes your perspective intensely. When I worked at a Girl Scout camp, the girls weren't allowed to have electronic devices (i.e. music or cellphones) and that was to help them re-focus. I'm not sure I would have handled going without my music because of how much I love to dance (luckily, as a staffer I was allowed to have it, but was asked just to limit it's use in front of the campers).

Running with a sort of reckless abandon, Lois felt a strange sort of joy. Clark was holding her hand and her feet splashed through the water as they ran.
When I got to this part I was smiling in a close-lipped way and my 1912, self came out just a little bit.

1912 me: So very improper, Lois! He's handsome, isn't he?

This felt even more like flying.

He carried her effortlessly, as though she didn’t weigh anything.
Some signs of his superpowers. I'm sure that if we didn't know Clark was Superman in most versions, we wouldn't be wondering if these weren't metaphorical.

For a moment longer than she would have expected, he held her. He looked down at her for a moment, the smile gone from his face.
Feeling something a little inappropriate, Clark?

His clothes were plastered against him, but they couldn’t have been as revealing as Lois’s dress. She didn’t dare look down at herself.
That's one thing I noticed about clothing until synthetics came around. It was very easy for something to become see-through if it was a nice fabric.

Originally Posted by groobie
I love the mood that you've captured throughout this story. It's mysterious with an undercurrent of sensuality. And, having been to Mackinac Island, I can totally picture in my mind every location your characters visit. I'm very much looking forward to the next part.

The movie this was based on my mom had in her personal collection. I suspect that was why mom always had a dream to visit Mackinac Island (sadly she never had the chance to). I know I've been fascinated by it as well (Lighthouses of any sort are one of my dream/fantasy home/vacation.)

Last edited by Christina; 08/16/14 04:40 AM. Reason: add a response to groobie

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story. Anxious for next part.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I like the gentle way you’re having them start to fall for each other, and the way you capture their feelings and moods. I’m really enjoying this.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Heh... Lois had the same doubt as me: where did the dress come from? grin But still no answer. confused

Loving each part of this story!

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Lurking but loving it.

Shallowford
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Round Island Lighthouse near Mackinac Island.

[Linked Image]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is how it was to fall in love in those days; innocent, sweet and as gentle as floating on a fluffy, white cloud.

Thank you for sending all of us somewhere in time.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard