Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

Last edited by ShayneT; 08/09/14 02:52 PM.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I haven't read it yet. In fact, I almost missed it, since it lacked the blue arrow. I'm going to read it somewhere in time this afternoon, I hope.

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It’s amazing how only 100 years makes such a huge difference in society. It’s especially hard for a modern woman like Lois, but I think even a man of today would have trouble 100 years ago.

Going the other direction, there’d be just as much culture shock, but people would just think you were old-fashioned or silly, rather than offensive or immoral. I imagine H. G. Wells had quite a shock on his first travels through time.

Lois is right, she needs to get back her present ASAP. And bring Clark along, of course.

As always, a fascinating, enjoyable story!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
So Clark met Star's ancestor (or someone similar)? I wonder what the woman told Clark. I'm guessing she mentioned his stellar origin, but I've no idea what she might have said about Lois. I would imagine that if she had merely described Lois' physical appearance, Clark would have said so. Maybe she mentioned time travel? I'm intrigued.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's amazing how much can change in 10 years. By the 1920's, many women went out and about without hats (i.e. flappers). It's surprising what differences a world war can produce. I don't think these people really considered Lois a prostitute but more likely an oddity or a loose woman. Women wore hats to keep their skin unblemished from the sun and as pale as can be. She probably doesn't realize how scandalous it was during that era it would have been to be seen at young man's rooms. (More so, than not wearing a hat.) Yes, wearing an evening dress during the daytime will get people to look at your twice nowadays as well.

I like that Lois is considering all the ramifications of what someone from the future might have in the past and the difficulties she will encounter should she not make it back into the future.

He sighed. “I spoke to a medium once. She knew things that….she couldn’t know. She told me that I would meet a woman who would end my life as I know it.”

Lois froze. “And you thought that women might be me?”

He flushed again. “There were things she told me that led me to think so.”
Hmmm. I wonder what the psychic said. Did she mention something generic about the age Clark would be when he met his mysterious woman? Did mention that they would meet by a lake? Or did she say something more specific about the most attractive woman he had ever seen or something about how Clark would physically react to seeing her, instantly falling in love with her? I think this might be the case, since he "flushed" when he mentioned the incident. If Clark mentioned what the medium said to Robinson, then it might explain why he's so overprotective of his actor. Even back in the 1910's actors were known for their wild lifestyles, and being that Clark is male... more generally acceptable lifestyle.

I could see why the medium's words would make Clark nervous, too. He thinks Lois will be the person who carts him off to be dissected like a frog, instead of teaching him the wonders he can do with his powers.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love the movie and I love your story, Shayne. Watching the movie was the first time I'd heard Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." I like to listen to it while reading your story.

"Rhapsody" from the movie is on YouTube, if anyone else wants to listen, and it looks like someone has uploaded the rest of the soundtrack too. The pieces are all so beautiful, I think I'm going to buy the soundtrack.

I'm looking forward to reading how your story unfolds.

LaurenW

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So glad the 'oddities' of Lois' clothes are mentioned here. This was a very different time when a lady's reputation was everything. Anything else was considered vulgar.

Lois needs to hold onto Clark Kent with all her strength and bring him back to her era pronto!

This story is a more a love letter than a fic.

Keep writing!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really loved this segment. The details about women's fashion and social expectations of the time are interesting. Poor Lois! All that hard work breaking the journalistic glass ceiling and she was transported back to the basement.

I love the mention of the psychic and her prediction about Lois' influence on Clark. If leaving your own timezone and (hopefully) springing decades into the future isn't "ending life as you know it", then being able to use his abilities for good after Lois helps him create Superman will definitely fit the bill.

B

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I realized after I read part 7 that I was wearing my 1992 Mackinac Lilac Festival T-shirt. (I know, guys can keep clothes forever.) Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not to nitpick, but I think this is interesting so bear with me. It seems that the bra was REinvented a hundred years ago. Here's a story about a 14th century bra they found in 2012.

So, was Clark in his own time or was he displaced before this? Where When did his spaceship land? Does he know about how to use the time rifts?

Shallowford
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The psychic's prediction is one of those classic "double meaning" prophecies. Let's see how it turns out!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard