Chapter 9: The Hot Match Wild Card

Lois arrived at the restaurant. Vino Mia. She’d considered cancelling after the website had sent the details, as it just proved that the Hot Match was based on her original profile.

At least he didn’t say he’d be wearing a red carnation. Just gave me a code word to say at the desk.

She approached and the waiter looked up.

“I’m here to meet someone,” she said. “I was told to say ‘Lara’ and you’d know which table to take me to.”

“Yes, miss. This way.”

Lois was determined to see this through, even though her date was probably as stuffy, snobby and 'Lex-like' as Brian but there was always a chance that he’d be nice ... something special. And, anyway, she’d get a good meal out of it.

As she wove through the tables she pondered over the code word. Somehow it seemed familiar but she couldn’t place it. She flicked to a memory of someone speaking the word to her, a name, then she was back in the restaurant again.

The waiter came to a stop and indicated a table to his right. Lois stopped and turned. Her eyes narrowed lightly when she saw her date. He was facing away and she could only see his back. His broad shoulders were covered by a black jacket. His thick, slightly wavy, dark and shiny hair was just curling up at his collar.

There’s something familiar ... she started to think but before should could complete the though he shifted and stood, turning to greet her.

The welcoming smile on his face dropped and his eyes widened when he saw her. She knew her face reflected the same shock.

“Clark!”
“Lois!”
“What are you doing here?”
“What are you doing here?”

They both spoke together.

This must be a mistake. He brought me to the wrong table. Lois quickly scooted past Clark to the other side and slid into the empty chair. She lowered her voice and spoke in a whisper, somehow still managing to sound angry.

“I’m here to meet someone. What are you doing here? Are you meeting Jenny?”

“Lois you misunderstood. I just took Jenny safely home after telling her the truth.” Lois saw a look which could only be described as teasing come over Clark’s face. “Lois, how would Superman feel to know you are going out on a date?”

“He ... how do you know this is a date?” He raised his eyebrows in mocking and then she realised. “It’s you isn’t it. You are my date.” She groaned and put her head in her hands.

They both sat in silence until Lois could bear it no longer. “So, you’re my hot match then,” she said in a cheery voice. Make the best out of this Lois, turn it around somehow.

“I guess so,” he replied and Lois was sure she heard a tone of wonder in his voice. He glanced down at the table then looked back up at her. “So, what do you want to do then?” He smiled, a little shyly and Lois bit her bottom lip to keep from letting the emotions overwhelm her.

He looks so sweet. He is so sweet. Lois nibbled harder. I’m here, on a date with Clark. Is this a good thing or not?

“Come on, Lois, we shouldn’t let the reservation go to waste. It’s a swanky restaurant.” Lois looked into his eyes, pleading in such a sweet way and she was lost.

“All right,” she smiled. Keep in charge of the situation, Lois. “But you’re paying.” She arched her brow at him in a challenge.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, Lois.” When he grinned at her she gulped. Gosh, this is going to kill me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark risked a look up at Lois while perusing the menu. I can’t believe it is Lois. She’s here, on a date with me. Don’t ruin it, Kent. This is the breakthrough you were hoping for. I can’t believe I nearly gave up on this.

He looked back to his menu. I’m going to have to say something about her Superman deception but it could make the evening awkward. I’ll challenge her on it later. Let’s just enjoy this now.

“So, ready to order?” he asked and folded up his menu.

“Yes, I’ll have the Salmon en Croute,” she replied as she placed her menu on top of his.

Clark indicated to the waiter who immediately headed for their table.

“I’d like the Beef Bourguignon and the lady will have Salmon en Croute.”

“Any wine, sir,” asked the waiter. Clark looked over to Lois and she nodded briefly.

“Just a house red please.” Clark looked up as he handed the menus over.

When he looked back to Lois he could tell that something was bothering her. She was fidgeting, almost acting nervous.

“Okay, I can’t take it anymore. What is Lara?” she blurted out.

Clark stilled. He’d picked that name as it was a pretty normal word but it meant something to him. He hadn’t expected to have to explain, but then he never thought his date would be Lois; the woman who knew more about him than almost anyone else; the woman whose insatiable curiosity had led her to become a top reporter at the best newspaper in the world.

He knew that some painful emotions flickered across his face. “It’s my mother’s name.” When she tilted her head and leaned forward, looking confused, he continued. “My biological mother.”

“Oh,” she sat back again. “I didn’t know you were in touch.” He saw the nervous twitches and arm gestures again. “In fact I didn’t remember that you’d even found out who your real parents were.”

She was babbling. He knew he needed to say something and the plain basic truth was actually the best thing to say.

“I’m not in touch with them. They are ... um,” he paused. It was difficult to say it, but he didn’t have to as Lois jumped in.

“Oh my goodness, they’re dead.” She looked mortified; one hand covering her mouth, the other reaching across the table to take his. “I'm so sorry, Clark. I didn’t mean to be so insensitive.” Clark could see a glistening in her eyes, betraying her soft, loving heart: the truth that she kept hidden from everyone.

“It’s okay, Lois. They died when I was a baby, and even though I didn’t find that out for a long time, I’ve accepted it. And I love my family.” He squeezed her hand and smiled at her reassuringly.

She smiled back, momentarily, and then she gently extracted her hand from his grip.

"So, how does a Kansas farm boy afford a meal at Vino Mia?" she asked, clearly attempting to lighten the mood.

"I haven't worked on the farm for years, Lois. I'm a reporter now, in case you forgot," he teased.

"You'll always be a farm boy, Farmboy," she replied.

Clark smiled. Somehow, his heart always skipped a beat whenever she called him that.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois enjoyed every morsel of food. She even enjoyed every syllable of conversation but that was to be expected when you spent the evening with your best friend, especially when he was such a sweet, wonderful guy. Doubly so if you were secretly in love with said best friend.

They talked about all manner of things from work to the farm, from movies to music. Lois knew she fell more in love with him over the course of the evening, but she allowed herself to enjoy the moment.

One single evening to pretend that there was no heartache to come.

There were many smiles exchanged and plenty of genuine laughs. As it came towards the end of the night Lois found her sadness attempting to creep back in. She pushed it away by choosing a delectable sticky chocolate desert and relishing every bite.

The mood was unpleasantly broken when Clark said the one thing she hoped he’d forgotten about.

“So, what will Superman think when I tell him that you’ve cheated on him?”

She put down her spoon and slumped her shoulders. “I think you know, Clark.”

“Of course I do. He’ll be devastated.”

“No.” She shook her head. “You know ... that I was lying. I’m not in a relationship with Superman.”

“Yes, I knew.” Lois could tell that Clark was a little upset with her, but he was also confused.

“I’m not even sure if Superman would be interested in that kind of a relationship with ... anyone.” Does he need a companion? Not that I’d be offering myself to him anymore. She looked up at Clark. Well, maybe if he offered. If anyone could help me get over Clark, it’s Superman.

“So why did you do it,” Clark enquired.

“I,” she picked up her spoon and began to eat her desert again, answering as if she had no problems with her deception. “I wanted you to think you were free from The Pact. You need a good woman. You deserve someone who can love you and who you can love back. And we both know that I’m not an easy person to live with. You don’t want to marry me, Farmboy.” She knew she was rambling again so she shoved a spoonful in her mouth.

“Isn’t that my choice?” he said and Lois looked up in shock.

She swallowed her desert then spoke. “Are you saying you want to go through with The Pact?” She leaned forward, her eyes wide.

“Well it was your idea to start with,” he pointed out.

“Eight years ago!” she squeaked out in defence.

“I thought you didn’t want to be alone.” He threw her tipsy words back at her.

“I don’t,” she admitted without thinking what the revelation would mean.

“So you just don’t want to be alone ... with me?” he challenged.

Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter yet quiet farm boy had just called her out and Lois felt her spine stiffen in defence. Her fight or flight mode had been permanently active for over a week now and she’d done too much of the ‘flight’.

“Okay, then. You’re on. As of this moment we are officially engaged.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Surprised? Let me know over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."