Chapter 7: The Blind Date

Clark stood at the entrance to the restaurant. I can’t believe I’m here. How does she get me to do these things? She should be the one here to do this.

He could tell which one was his date. She was sat alone, neck craning over to view the door, and she looked just like the profile picture which Lois had shown him. She’d raved on about the perfectly long straight blonde hair and the perfectly proportioned face, pointing out the high cheekbones and pert nose.

Okay, Clark. You can do this. Just go over there and explain. She’ll be fine. It’s not as if you were the one deceiving her and she’s not emotionally attached to you either.

He strode forward with confidence. “Jenny?”

“Clark?” she replied tentatively. She gave a small smile and Clark’s heart dropped. Somehow he knew that she was going to be upset. He sat down and took a deep breath.

“Look, Jenny. I’m afraid there’s been a mistake.”

Her brows crinkled. “Mistake?”

“My ... friend I suppose you’d call her ... signed me up to the dating site and set up this meeting without my knowledge. I’m sorry, but you’ve been set up. We’ve ... been set up.”

“Oh!” her voice quietened and she dropped her head. Clark watched as she slid her hands off the table and clasped them in her lap: an obvious sign of nervousness and a defensive gesture. Clark felt like a jerk.

Lois, I can’t believe you did this to me. I’m not a jerk and I don’t treat women like this.

“Look, why don’t I just get you a drink while you let this sink in then I’ll make sure you get home safely.”

Clark took the quiet girl’s arm and led her to the bar then helped her up onto a stool. While the bartender mixed up a simple cocktail Clark went to inform the Maître-D to cancel the reservation. Back at the bar he found a much changed lady.

“Clark. I’m sorry for my reaction. I have to admit I was very disappointed as your ... friend ... played your part particularly well. I liked you. But I’m a strong girl. People don’t always see that with me. They look at my fragile body and simple hobbies and think I’m a pushover.” She took a sip of her cocktail. “Anyway, I just wanted you to know.”

“Thank you, Jenny. I’m relieved. I really didn’t want to disappoint you. I’m so sorry that you were dragged into this ridiculous scheme of hers. And I’m not even sure what the point of this scheme is.” Clark perched himself on a stool.

“So, who is this friend then? The one who obviously thinks you need a woman.”

“Lois. She’s my work partner. Actually she’s much more than that.” Clark took a drink from his glass of water. “We’ve known each other for years and I guess we’ve become best friends during that time. It also happens that we often partner together on assignments at work.”

“But there’s even more again, isn’t there, Clark?” Jenny arched an eyebrow.

“I ... thought so. But maybe I was wrong.” Clark took another swig of water and looked away. Jenny must have caught on to his defensive mode as she didn’t question further.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The first thing Clark did when he got into work the following morning was listen for Lois’ heartbeat. As he stepped into the elevator he was surprised to hear it close by, rather than up above in the office. He turned and was about to step forward for the button when another hand got there first.

He looked up to find Lois smiling at him.

“So, did you do it?”

“Do ... what?” Clark asked

“Break her heart,” Lois replied. “You stormed off after I refused to cancel the date saying that you couldn’t leave her there waiting. I presume you actually went and then broke the poor little girl’s heart.”

“Jenny is not a ‘poor little girl’,” he said.

“Oh, because she seemed the delicate type from her picture and her profile.” Clark dropped his head and smiled. Jenny was right. People do see that about her.

“You’d be surprised, Lois. She’s stronger than most people think.”

“Sounds like you actually got to know her then, Clark.” He looked up to see her grinning at him. “Am I great, or what? So I guess it’s time to thank me.”

“Thank you?” he almost shouted back.

“You’re welcome,” she returned.

“Lois, what you did was wrong. But just so you know,” he grinned, “I had a lovely time. Jenny has so many nice qualities and interesting hobbies.”

“Ah ...” Lois stuttered. Clark saw her confused look as she clamped her mouth shut. She seemed to regain her composure after a moment. “See. I knew it.” She looked up at Clark, straight in the eyes. “She’s perfect for you.” Then her gaze faltered and looked away.

Did that work or not, thought Clark. She seemed to have an emotional reaction to the knowledge that it went well. But then she got over it rather quickly.

The elevator doors opened and Clark let Lois exit first. When they were both sat at their desks he made his demand of her.

“I’d like the details for my profile, Lois.”

She looked up and Clark could read shock on her face. Was she surprised, upset, saddened?

“Of course.” She smiled brightly and logged into her mail. Less than a minute later Clark received multiple notifications in his in-box. She had forwarded on multiple mails with login details.

“Thank you,” he replied genuinely.

“So,” she said. “Are you going to continue seeing your matches?”

“There’s no need,” Clark replied, not even looking back up.

“Oh!” replied Lois. Clark glanced up in shock. That sounded like utter disappointment in her voice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois found it almost impossible to keep back the tears. Why? Why am I on the verge of a crying fit?

She snuck a glance up at her partner. He’s found someone. Jenny was perfect. I knew it. I am sooo good. I got everything perfect on his profile.

The tears threatened again. Too good. Too perfect. Lois how could you be so stupid?

She looked back to her computer screen and tried to focus on the words but her ‘almost’ tears blurred her vision.

I wanted him to find someone. I needed him to find someone so I could get out of The Pact. But now that he has. I can’t deny it any longer. It’s not just a crush. It’s not just ‘in love’.

I love him.

And it will hurt me to see him with someone else. But that’s better than him ever finding out the truth. I can’t marry him because that would do more than just hurt. I’d slowly die inside. Every day that he was ‘kind’ to me, that he would ‘look after me’ in that gentle, loving, caring way he had. Every day he didn’t fall in love with me, I’d lose some of myself. And I’d die.

As a single tear finally rolled down her cheek she turned away so that Clark would not see. She blinked it away and brought her latest e-mail into focus.

[Linked Image]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments are welcomed over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."