Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story promises to give us a very different Cat Grant ...right?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana

Nope... At least not the way I remember Cat from the series.

This was a cute story and I am glad to see a strong Lois deciding that Superman could take her as she was or not, she was not changing just to attract him.
Lois walked briskly down the sidewalk. The breeze blew her hair
in front of her face. She reached up and tucked an errand strand
behind her ear. She had walked out of Cindy's. As her friend
had approached her, Lois had realized that she couldn't cut her
hair because she thought Superman might notice her because of it.
That wasn't who she was.

That wasn't to say that she would never cut her hair. She held
no romantic notion of the power and beauty of a woman's long
hair. Not that long ago she had contemplated cutting her hair
very short for her undercover work when she broke the car theft
ring story. If she hadn't noticed that some of the other young
boys who were employed by the thieves had long hair; she'd
probably have done it. Instead she had opted for a fake mustache
and goatee.

I also loved Clark spotting the bit of green paint left in Lois's hair confirming her story and then running when Ralph came around.
"But you have to be true to who you really are. It isn't really
about a haircut. It's about acceptance, acceptance for what and
who you are. I'm Lois Lane, warts and all, and I can't, and
won't, try to be someone I'm not just to please a man, even
Superman. If he can't accept me for who I am, then there is
nothing I can do about it."

"That makes a lot of sense, Lois. But you do know that Cat is
going to spread her version of this incident all around.
Everyone will think you cut your hair because she tricked you
into thinking it would please Superman."

Lois shrugged. "I know, but I don't really care what other
people think, and in a way, the truth is even crazier than Cat's
story will be." Suddenly it was important to Lois that Clark
believe what had really happened. "You believe me, don't you?"

Clark smiled. "Yes, Lois, I believe you." He glanced up at
her newly cropped locks. "Was the offending paint, by any
chance... green?"

Lois was surprised by Clark's comment. How had he known? "Yes
it was. How did you know? I don't remember saying what color it
had been."

Clark laughed softly as he gently brushed his hand through her
short tresses. "Well, I can see a few touches of green still
shining out amongst the dark brown."

Lois' hands flew to her head. "Oh god, if Cindy finds out
she'll take the clippers and shear me down to stubble for sure."
Lois began to paw through her purse looking for a mirror. "How
bad is it?"

Clark laughed out loud. "Don't worry, Lois. No one will see
anything unless they are specifically looking for it. And even
then, they'd have a hard time. I just have great eyesight."

The Henderson comment was very cute also and seemed to work with Ralph.
Just then Ralph came oozing up to her desk. He gave his typical
leer, which she supposed he thought was a smile. "Hey, Lane, is
it true that you chopped off your hair because you heard that Big
Blue liked skirts with cropped tops?"

Lois turned to Clark, her eyes beseeching him. He laughed as he
held up his hands.

"I'm afraid you're on your own here, Lois. I have to get back
to work." Still chuckling, Clark left, heading toward his own
desk.

Lois turned her attention back to the misanthrope standing next
to her. "Go away, Ralph. I don't have time to deal with
Inspector Henderson right now."

"What's Henderson got to do with anything?"

"Well, he's going to want to question me about your murder."
Ralph got the hint and left without any further snide comments.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally Posted by Mike M
Originally Posted by Morgana

Nope... At least not the way I remember Cat from the series.

I agree, Mike. I thought that the Cat Grant in this story felt very much in line with how her character was written on the series, which was just fine with me. I fully admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Cat. She's my favorite supporting character from "Lois and Clark." In fact, one of the reasons I recommended that we read this story was the fact that Cat was one of the main characters of this story.

I loved the rivalry between Cat and Lois on the show, and Tank did a great job of highlighting that rivalry in this story. The quote below is one of my favorite exchanges from the story.

Cat had heard enough. She couldn't take it anymore. "You only
called out to him, Lois? I thought that throwing yourself off
tall buildings, or trying to get blown up, were more your usual
style."

Lois glanced up at Cat but feigned indifference. "Oh, Cat,
you're here? Is it noon already?"

"Next time, Lois, try for something a bit more subtle; like
hanging from a flagpole in your bra and panties. That might get
Superman to notice you."

Lois rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't dream of stealing your
techniques, Cat."

lol I can totally picture Teri Hatcher and Tracy Scoggins saying those lines to each other.

I also enjoyed Cat's delight when she thought Lois had fallen for her trick. Poor Lois. She'll never be able to convince Cat that she wasn't the reason for her haircut. grin

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
lol I can totally picture Teri Hatcher and Tracy Scoggins saying those lines to each other.
Yes and enjoying every minute of it I bet...

Originally Posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
I also enjoyed Cat's delight when she thought Lois had fallen for her trick. Poor Lois. She'll never be able to convince Cat that she wasn't the reason for her haircut. grin

Yes even if Lois were to bring in the remnants of her hair caked with green outdoor paint Cat would claim she found some paint and treated her hair so it would look like she did not fall for Cat's trap. Probably even to the point of claiming Lois put some green paint in her remaining hair to sell the story.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Had to come on board with my old computer since the new boards hate my new computer and won't let me sign in with it. I keep getting blocked by 'someone already has that (fill in the blank)'.
I guess it's okay because I can't say I like the new boards much either. I'm an old guy and I'm not real thrilled by change that makes things more complicated for me.

Anyway... I'm honored to have one of my fics picked to be 'discussed'. It was an interesting choice and it's somewhat telling about my run on these boards over the years.

As a bit of backround for those few gentle readers who aren't that familiar with me and my 'haircut stories'.
Early on I wrote just like any other writer and didn't think much about any particulars for our characters other than the season we were playing in. But as a person who really liked the look Teri gave Lois when, in the third season, she cut her hair short I wanted to give my Lois that visual more often, even it the season of the story didn't jibe.

I would find reasons in my fics for Lois to get a haircut so the visual in my mind would fit the one I preferred. This became a subject of discussion in the reviews of my stories. I soon became known for this... it became a, sort of, defacto signature for one of my stories. If I didn't provide Lois with a haircut or at least a season for short hair the readers would give me grief about it. So I embraced it even more, just for the kick of it.
That gave rise to a series of stories where the only purpose of the fic was to require Lois to cut or get her haircut. Sometimes it was a dramatic situation, sometimes a humourous one; but for these fics the main plot objective was to get Lois into short hair. While the main purpose of these fics was the haircut, I think that in all of them I tried to showcase certain aspects of who Lois Lane actually is and what is really important to her. We all know that she'd change her hair for a big story, and in one fic she sacrificed hair in the name of charity, and in another her single minded focus on getting information for her story caused her to lose track of the haircut she was getting at the time. Each, though written for the purpose getting Lois into short hair and to placate the gentle readers need to see me 'challenge' Lois in this manner, were written for fun.

This was one of those stories.

Tank (who knows he still owes the board a ToGOM story for 2014)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Tank
As a bit of backround for those few gentle readers who aren't that familiar with me and my 'haircut stories'.
Early on I wrote just like any other writer and didn't think much about any particulars for our characters other than the season we were playing in. But as a person who really liked the look Teri gave Lois when, in the third season, she cut her hair short I wanted to give my Lois that visual more often, even it the season of the story didn't jibe.

I would find reasons in my fics for Lois to get a haircut so the visual in my mind would fit the one I preferred. This became a subject of discussion in the reviews of my stories. I soon became known for this... it became a, sort of, defacto signature for one of my stories. If I didn't provide Lois with a haircut or at least a season for short hair the readers would give me grief about it. So I embraced it even more, just for the kick of it.
That gave rise to a series of stories where the only purpose of the fic was to require Lois to cut or get her haircut. Sometimes it was a dramatic situation, sometimes a humourous one; but for these fics the main plot objective was to get Lois into short hair. While the main purpose of these fics was the haircut, I think that in all of them I tried to showcase certain aspects of who Lois Lane actually is and what is really important to her. We all know that she'd change her hair for a big story, and in one fic she sacrificed hair in the name of charity, and in another her single minded focus on getting information for her story caused her to lose track of the haircut she was getting at the time. Each, though written for the purpose getting Lois into short hair and to placate the gentle readers need to see me 'challenge' Lois in this manner, were written for fun.

This was one of those stories.

Tank (who knows he still owes the board a ToGOM story for 2014)

Tank, I like you really liked the look Teri gave Lois in Seasons 3/4 with the short hair which is why I have read all of your stories regarding haircuts. Most of them are pretty amusing some a bit darker comedy than others but still amusing. I still find it amazing the number of situations you can find to put Lois in requiring her hair to be cut, must be a gift.

Also no worries, you still have almost 6 whole months to get the ToGOM story in for 2014...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard