Chapter 4 – The Present

Lois squeaked in surprise when she logged onto her e-mail the following morning.

Subject Title: Match found.
Height: 5’6
Features: Blonde hair, blue eyes.
Interests: Art, animals, decorating
Name: Jenny

Yes! Sounds good.

She immediately set about composing a reply that, while not being untruthful, didn’t yet give the game away but would prepare Jenny for the ‘subterfuge’ when finally revealed.

She kept glancing over to the empty chair opposite. Perry had sent Clark to a press conference and, thankfully, he’d be missing all morning.

After pushing ‘send’ she leaned back then nibbled on her fingernail for a minute. Finally making a decision about her own match she lunged forward and typed out a quick invitation to meet to Brian.

Resting back in her chair she smiled. Opera and fine dining. Sounds perfect. He’s possibly rich. Not that wealth is particularly important, or a guarantee of … anything. After a moment she frowned and chewed the inside of her cheek. As she swivelled around in her chair she began to second guess her excitement. What if he's a ‘snob’? I want class, intelligence and refinement, but I don't want anyone who will act superior.

Remembering her disastrous time dating Lex she suddenly got the feeling that Brian would be completely unsuitable. She leapt forward for her computer again but it was too late, her outbox was empty. Oh no, what have I got myself in to?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark marched into the office knowing he had to confront her, even though part of him didn't want to. But it had to be done. She deserved whatever was coming to her.

“You set me up!” he whispered sternly. Lois jumped in her chair and turned to him. “Lois, why?” He knelt down at her side and softened his voice. “I thought you wanted to spend your birthday with me.”

“I did, Clark.” She stood and walked past him, wandering to the fax and fiddling with the paper. “But I just couldn’t ignore the distraught call from Lucy. She needed me.” Clark narrowed his eyes. It was possible. Lois and Lucy were close. And Lois was fiercely loyal, protective and caring when it came to her sister.

“It was just rather convenient,” he walked towards her, automatically going into Superman mode with his attitude. “The call ... right at the start of the evening. The extra guest ... who wanted to take you out, rather than you come to my place.” He came up right behind her. His head was so close that he could smell her perfume, or was it her shampoo. Clark took in the scent then stepped back in shock. His affection for Lois had grown extremely strong over the years. Even though he'd attempted 'friendship' for years, he'd only recently accepted that his initial crush had become deep love - or maybe it always had been. But something that had been overtaking him, in moments like this, even more recently, was a physical desire for her. It had been creeping in, in recent days, and it always took him by surprise whenever it hit.

“Clark, relax!” she twirled round and then backed away when she nearly slammed into Clark’s chest. “I apologise for abandoning you, but I’m sure you had a great time with Suzie. She’s lovely.”

“Maybe with you.” He turned away and softened his voice. “But I have some doubts about how comfortable she is around me.” Turning back he spoke emotionally. “Lois, she hardly spoke for the first five minutes. I tried to put her at ease and we eventually talked but once it became obvious you weren’t coming back ...”

“I’m sorry, Clark.” She smiled but Clark could hear a very tiny tinge of sarcasm. ”I’ll make it up to you. Um, how about an Ivory Tower evening tomorrow night?”

“Lois, that’s not exactly making it up to me.”

“Well, if you don’t want to …” She walked back to her desk and Clark got the impression she’d offered that particular olive branch as she knew he’d decline.

They both sat down and an uncomfortable silence descended. Clark made notes and did research to add weight to his article covering this morning’s conference.

“So, what did you do?” came a sudden question.

“Do?”

Lois shrugged and nodded to the stairwell, indicating the lower floors of the Daily Planet. “You and Suzie.”

“Oh, well, when you didn’t return I thought it best to end the evening, but Suzie looked so crushed that I bought her a drink and we chatted. Lois, she was devastated that you left. It was meant to be her celebration and you left her with a stranger.”

“I don’t think it was me that devastated her,” Lois mumbled. It was so low and under her breath that Clark knew any normal human wouldn’t have heard. What the heck is that supposed to mean?

They settled back into silence again. A tiny squeak from Lois made him frown and glance up. She was staring at her monitor as if she could see through it. A little smile twitched at the corner of her mouth.

“Um, Clark. How about we have another night together? Do something special.”

“What did you have in mind?” Clark felt a combination of excitement and dread.

“I’m not sure at the moment. I’ll have to think about it.” She tapped away on her computer. “And I’ll have to get back to you with the date.”

“Okay.” It was a start. Clark rested back in his chair and adjusted his glasses. Lois grinned at him. It was confusing. He couldn’t figure out her motives. He couldn’t guess her mood. He continued to ponder the situation until he was interrupted from his thoughts by a different shout of exclaim from his partner.

“Ahh, stupid pen.” Lois reached down to the floor searching for her missing item and that’s when Clark noticed something.

He smiled. Okay, so maybe Lois did set me up. Maybe she didn’t. I guess I’ll never know. Either way, though, I still think I’ve got a good shot.

His eyes stayed honed on Lois as she sat back up, pen in hand. Her gaze came up to meet his and when he grinned, knowingly, she frowned. He nodded down a little and dropped his gaze to her chest. She glanced down and let out a sharp breath.

She dropped her pen again and scrambled for the simple heart necklace which was now dangling out of her blouse. Tucking it back inside she flicked her hair back with a snap of her head and turned back to her work obviously trying to ignore him.

Clark spent the rest of the afternoon with the tiniest of smiles on his face. Nothing could make it drop, not even memories of the poor, nervous girl forced to spend an hour with him last night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois dropped herself into her couch at home. I don’t know how I managed to make it through the day. The only thing that kept me from having a breakdown or a manic attack was the dating site coming through with a match for Clark and the girl in question replying already.

She wiped her hand across her brow. Ok, Lane. Remember your uncle’s training. All’s fair in Love and War. No mercy for the enemy. Get the job done.

Lois rested her head back and closed her eyes, remembering the previous evening.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*LAST NIGHT*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Hi, Lucy,” Lois said as she put the phone to her ear.

“So, what did you want to talk about that has me ringing you at precisely 7:05?” came Lucy’s voice.

“Nothing. Just thought you’d want to wish me Happy Birthday.” Lois continued to stride away from the table.

“I did that this morning. Lois, what is going on?”

“I just thought we could talk.” She reached the exit and then slipped behind a partition.

“Don’t you usually spend your birthdays with Clark?” Lucy questioned.

“Not today.” She turned to glance at the couple left behind. “Maybe never again.” She smiled in relief at the thought. It would also be nice for Clark to have someone. He deserves a nice, sweet girl. She took one last, quick glance around, then left.

At home she took off her coat and threw it down. A thump reminded her of the present in her pocket. Slowly extracting the half-unwrapped box she lowered herself to the couch. She turned the present over and over in her hands then nibbled her lip. Nervousness was keeping her from finishing the job. Why should I be nervous? It’s just a present ... from Kent ... and it’s not even very big.

She ripped off the rest of the paper and then slowly slid the lid off the black embossed box. Inside she was greeted with burgundy tissue paper. Gently moving it to the side she uncovered a heart. Lois’ breath caught and her own heart skipped a beat. A tear rolled down her cheek as she lifted out the necklace; a simple heart on a long, simple chain.

“It’s nothing really,” he’d said. But it was beautiful. Oh it obviously wasn’t gold, but there was a lovely antique, light-bronze, look to it. Lois swiped away the tear and put it round her neck.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*PRESENT*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois opened her eyes then stood and walked in a daze into the bathroom. Flicking on the bright light above the mirror she stared into her eyes. Without breaking contact with herself she lifted a hand and pulled the necklace out from behind her blouse.

Why did you hide it? It was a birthday present ... from your best friend. Why did you hide it, Lois? And why did you feel hugely embarrassed when he saw?

She shook her head to break the contact then turned away.

It’s okay. Everything will be okay once he’s dating. No more complications, no more worries about the stupid Pact. He just needs to like one of them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments over here.

Important Note: (WHAM warning)

I've been posting on Wed and Sat, but am posting a day early today because I go into hospital tomorrow morning. In April I was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour. Thankfully it is benign and not life threatening, but I am exhibiting physical reactions (severe hearing loss, facial numbness, loss of balance and more). Tomorrow the neurosurgeon will attempt to take as much of the tumour as possible, without causing further hearing loss or facial paralysis. I will be in hospital for up to a week, so the next chapter posting could be quite a while off. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, and please leave me some comments (on the story).

Thanks
Vic

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."