Chapter 3 – The Birthday

Lois stepped off the elevator and came to a halt at the railing. She saw a jacket hanging over the back of Clark’s chair and knew that he was in. Whirling away she strode for the stairwell.

What am I going to do? The Pact is bound to come up if we spend tonight together, especially if there is wine involved. In fact, Lois gritted her teeth, that’s kind of what got me into this problem.

She purposely ignored the ‘re-pact-ing’ of the following day that had again been her idea … sober. Not that she'd been particularly drunk that evening, but Clark seemed convinced that she had been. And the following morning he knew she was sober.

Striding purposefully in no particular direction she found herself in Human Resources.

“Lois!” came a happy voice.

“Suzie,” she shouted back and waved. Making her way over to her new friend’s desk she smiled. Suzie was a new addition to the Daily Planet family and a chance meeting in the elevator on her first day had led to an immediate friendship when it became clear that they were Mel Gibson's No 1 and No 2 fan. Although they couldn't agree on which way round! “So ... how long has it been now?”

“Just finished my one month probation.” She grinned up at Lois from her seated position. “I was thinking of celebrating.”

“Well, when you do, count me in.” Lois smiled genuinely.

“Um, Lois?” Suzie spoke timidly. “What’s it like on the newsroom floor?”

Lois frowned. “You mean noisy, frantic and manic!” she quipped.

“No.” Suzie gave a shy smile and looked down into her lap. “I mean ... with Clark?”

“Clark!” Lois’ eyes widened, then narrowed, and was joined by a wry smile.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark returned to his seat then turned to look up at the elevator. No sign of Lois yet. He turned back to his article.

Intergang leader finally exposed

Clark had broken the story last night and was desperate to finish off his narrative and get it to copy. But his mind kept going back to Lois. Looking up to the elevator once more he lowered his glasses a notch, staring over the top. The elevator carriage was there, as if the last person who used it had exited on this floor.

He sighed and returned to work again. When he finally pushed print and wandered over to wait for his output he allowed himself to acknowledge what was wrong. He was nervous about tonight.

Kent, you’re slacking. You still haven’t figured out how you are going to do this. He lectured himself. Come on, you need to decide on your plan of action. Blunt, forward, aggressive – remind her of The Pact. Or gentle, careful, subtle – don’t bring up the subject in case it backfires.

Clark decided to take a wander after delivering his finished article. Trotting down the stairs he realised that Lois would never have forgotten about The Pact. So that means she’s avoiding bringing it up. I guess that means if I mention it we could have an awkward situation on our hands.

Catching a glimpse of another Daily Planet reporter coming up the stairs he decided to do a little ‘Clark Kent-ing’ and stumbled ever so slightly into the fellow worker causing him to slop his coffee and drop his folder.

“Oh, sorry!” Clark mumbled sounding contrite. Inwardly Clark liked ‘messing’ with this particular reporter, and seeing him with a coffee stain down his shirt was just a little rewarding.

“It’s okay, Kent. Just ... take the elevator next time,” replied Ralph.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Hold the elevator!” Lois shouted as she ran. A hand came out and cupped the doors, keeping them from closing. Lois had a dreadful suspicion about whose hand it was. She stepped in and turned around watching the doors close behind her, sealing her doom.

Goodness, Lane. How dramatic can you get? Doom indeed!!!!!

She turned to confront the other elevator passenger and her suspicion was confirmed.

“Clark,” she nodded.

“Lois,” he nodded back.

They stood in silence for a few moments until Clark decided to break the tension. Unusual, as Lois was the one who babbled through uncomfortable silences normally.

“So, where have you been all morning?”

“Around,” Lois shrugged.

“So, about tonight,” Clark started. Lois felt her heart jump into her throat.

“Um yes, I’ve been meaning to say. Suzie in HR wants to take me out so,” she paused hoping to gauge Clark’s reaction. He just tipped his head forward a little and raised his eyebrows. “I said I’d meet her at the Ace o’ Clubs.” She smiled, pretending to apologise. Wait for it, Lois. Work the situation. “If you still want to celebrate my special day with me then why don’t you come too.”

“Sure, Lois. I’d be happy to.” Clark smiled. Lois flicked her eyes away. Was that an affectionate tone? She turned away completely and nibbled on her lower lip.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark entered the homely pub and scanned the room for Lois. For some reason she hadn’t wanted him to pick her up. “We’ll meet there Clark,” she’d said as she left the office late this afternoon.

He pulled at his jacket collar, to settle it better into place, then began striding towards the bar. It had been difficult to dress ‘date-worthy’ without it seeming like just another work-suit, but he was sure he’d managed it.

“Lois, hi,” he smiled as he drew near.

“Hey, Clark,” she replied. “This is Suzie. You’ve met her right?”

He held out his hand and she took it. “Yes, once or twice. Hi.” He smiled at her genuinely. The responding smile and gulped ‘hi’ gave him pause for a moment but then he turned his attention back to Lois.

He opened his mouth to speak but she jumped in. “Why don’t we take our seats, eh?” and she indicated over to a spare table nearby.

Once seated he turned to speak again but Lois was there first. “Suzie’s celebrating her one month probation being over, Clark.” She gestured with her arms and Clark turned to smile at the young girl.

“Congratulations.”

“Thanks!” she smiled shyly and clasped her hands in her lap.

“Lois,” Clark was determined to get out his thoughts this time. “I know you said no present was necessary last year … but ...” he paused and reached into his pocket. “Here you go.” He shrugged and tried to play it down. “It’s nothing, really.”

Lois reached out tentatively and took the package. Her mouth twitched as she tried to suppress a smile. She looked up at him with a little confusion in her eyes, but then looked back and ripped into the paper. Before she could make it all the way into the box her phone rang.

“Bother!” she mumbled. Looking at Clark and Suzie apologetically she pulled out her phone and glanced at it. “I have to take this, sorry.” She stood and walked away, placing the phone to her ear and tucking the present in her pocket.

Clark turned to look at the shy girl left next to him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments go over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."