Clark worried about how to tell Lois the truth about himself all the way back to Metropolis. He had pretty much told her the truth about them, and she must have remembered something with that kiss to trust him enough to fly with him back home. But would discovering he was Clark set her back? Would it confuse her even more?

He didn’t know, but he was tired of worrying. She was done with Deter, and that was a start. A good start. The rest would sort itself out in time. He had to believe that.

To get them home faster, Clark would superspeed at intervals, and then slow down for a while so Lois could enjoy the view. During their slower flights, she questioned him thoroughly and relentlessly about his powers and his origins. He didn’t mind sharing with her what he’d already told her in the past, and hoped that each little piece of information would eventually help her put her memory back together. But she certainly hadn’t forgotten how to be a reporter. Her follow-up questions were exhaustive and kept him on his toes. He felt a bit like the old days with Lois… but he needed more. He wanted his fiancée back, the woman who knew him better than anybody in the world.

Eventually they entered Metropolis airspace. Lois smiled at the view. “This…it’s definitely home, Superman. I could almost imagine it in Marseille… but this, is definitely a memory I remember.”

He felt encouraged by that, and hoped that returning to his apartment would have a similar effect on her.

They landed on his terrace, and she glanced at him in surprise. “This is a rather unassuming apartment for a superhero,” she commented.

Clark shrugged a bit modestly. “That’s the point.”

“So… you have two identities? Is that what you meant earlier? One mild-mannered, unobtrusive guy, and the other—Superman?”

He nodded. “That’s pretty much the gist of it… But Superman… Lois, you have to understand. Superman is what I can do, not who I am.”

He opened the door, and let Lois step inside ahead of him. She looked around, her eyes skimming over his knickknacks on the shelves and pictures… Clark had to stop himself from rushing around to remove the ones that obviously pointed to the truth.
She needed to see them, discover who they were together.

Lois stopped in front of a photo of her and Clark, taken right after their first Kerth Awards Ceremony. “Clark Kent,” she said, and he thought his heart would hammer right out of his chest, filling with hope, hearing her say his name.

“You know who I—who he is?” he stammered, uncertain.

“I saw his picture in the paper that the thugs taunted me with,” she said wryly. “I knew we worked together… but why would you have our picture?” she asked, walking around his apartment.

Clark sighed, trying to remain calm. He hoped she’d put the puzzle together herself. Though, she had taken two years to figure it out the first time. But he had faith in her. And besides, he wanted her to figure it out this time.

He watched as she scanned his apartment. Clark Kent’s presence was clearly there in many of his souvenirs… from his high school football, to his Kerth Award. As her fingers danced lightly over his possessions, Clark felt like she was touching small corners of his own memory.

She turned to him, having scanned his whole bookshelf, with a curious look on her face. “Why are there so many things of Clark’s here?” she asked, picking up the photo of them once again.

“Lois, isn’t it obvious?” Clark said slowly, realizing he was still dressed as Superman. Surely there was one way to make the truth clear to her. “Lois,” he said, getting her attention. She looked up, still looking unsure. Then, he sighed and spun out of the suit, into a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. “Do you get it now?” he asked softly.

The picture slipped out of her hand, and Clark caught it just before it hit the floor.

“You’re—Superman…and Clark?” she got out, sitting herself down on the sofa. “Wait… I’m remembering something…”

“Really?” Clark said hopefully.

She nodded. “It was you that came to the garden the other day… we work together, that much I knew… but—when Superm—you kissed me…”

He waited patiently for the penny to drop. Clark longed to reach for her, but he knew she had to find her own way.

“Wait… I need to—“ she stopped and looked at him, this time a little unsure. “Would it be ridiculously rude if I asked you to kiss me again? As Clark?”

He smiled warmly, scooting closer to her. “Lois, I’m happy to kiss you however much you want.”

“I just—I know it’s silly, but—“

He gently cupped her cheek. “Lois, you don’t have to explain. I’m happy to help you get your memory back, however you want to go about it.” Then he laughed, amused. “But I got to admit, I am enjoying your method.”

“Good,” she said and then leaned in for a kiss without further preamble.

They moved in closer to each other, and Clark noted how much warmer and welcoming this kiss was than the one on the cliff. She was surer of herself and surer of him—at least he hoped so. Clark dared to deepen the kiss, pouring in how much he loved her and had missed her.

“Clark?” she whispered, suddenly breaking from the kiss. He saw tears in her eyes, and a wonder there that gave him pause.

“Are you okay, Lois?” he asked gently.

She nodded, suddenly tossing herself into his arms. “Oh, Clark! I remember! Not everything—but enough. I know we love each other and I know that it must have killed you when I left! Oh, Clark! I’m so sorry!”

He pulled her in for a closer hug. “Are you really back, Lois? Could it be that easy?”

She pulled out of the hug, just enough to look at him, even though tears streamed down her face. “I remember enough to know that I belong here, with you… that it was a mistake to go to France with Max. I must have been out of my mind!” she laughed, then grew serious again. “And it must have been hell for you to let me go. Oh, Clark, can you forgive me?”

“Forgive you? Lois, I’m just thrilled beyond words that you are back! I’ve missed my partner.”

“Just your partner, Clark?” asked Lois shyly. “I sorta remember something else as well… unless it was just a fantasy. But I thought—Clark, are we um, getting married?” Her question was so adorably uncertain, and Clark kissed her again before fishing the ring out of his pocket that he’d held onto since this whole disaster got started.

“Yes, we are, honey. Here, I have something that belongs to you.” Clark slipped the ring onto Lois’ finger and gave her another kiss. “Welcome back, Lois. Welcome home.”

~L&C~

After a short visit to the hospital, Max Deter made his way back to his villa, mulling over what he had learned last night.

Clark Kent was Superman.

The people of Marseille might not care so much, but Deter knew that this information could be very valuable in Metropolis. He could use his knowledge as leverage to get Lois back. Because there wasn’t a doubt in Deter’s mind that Clark had flown off to rescue Lois, and had undoubtedly succeeded as Superman.

Those thugs wouldn’t have a chance against Superman.

But it made Deter wonder why Clark had had so much patience with him in the first place. He had naively let Deter take Lois and really hadn’t done much to stop him.

Deter shook his head, laughing. What did it matter? He had enough leverage against Superman that he could force him to bring Lois Lane back to Marseille, surely.

Max bounded up the steps to his office, thinking of how he would word a phone call to Clark Kent, when he met an imposing figure in his office.

Superman stood there with his arms crossed, looking rather smug.

Deter peered behind him and noticed that his shelves had been emptied. All his notes were gone. He had written down everything, fearing putting them on a computer would make them more vulnerable for discovery. He never thought anyone would even care to look in his binders.

“I have secured your library, Dr. Deter. The authorities are on their way to arrest you for fraud. Your copious notes of your conquests and manipulations of your patients will be your downfall. I hope you enjoy the ride.”

~L&C~

Epilogue

Lois Lane was back. Mostly.

Throughout her first day back at work, every step felt more and more familiar. Then the people she saw slid a few more memories in place. Jimmy, running around doing various errands. And Perry, giving her a warm teddy bear hug and then blustering about getting the details right on her rescue from the gunrunners for their next lead story.

Her desk was its own field of memories… her Rolodex, which she thumbed through, recalling a handful of sources and locations. Her dead plant reminded her that she didn’t have a green thumb. Her computer had files of stories on it that she perused with interest, recalling other various little moments.

And then, Clark Kent had brought her a cup of coffee and even more memories slid into place. She recalled that he knew exactly how she liked her coffee. His smile warmed her to her toes, a feeling that she had delicious memories of experiencing. His voice reminded her of how considerate he was and how dear to her.

Even halfway through the morning, when Clark got a deer-in-the-headlights look in his eye and started tugging on his tie, she had smiled at the familiarity. She had nodded to him, “Go,” and then had covered for him when Perry asked where he had gone.

All of it felt familiar, and clicked dozens of other memories back into place.

But the memory most dear to her was on her finger, in the form of a ring. As Clark had slipped that ring on her last night, she had recalled how he had first proposed… and how a torrential downpour had almost interrupted his proposal. And how she had discovered the secret that would change her life—not just that Clark was Superman. But how much he loved her.

And that had reminded her of how much she loved him. And how she had proposed to him, some months later, having learned what it was like to be him. And how extraordinary he was as a man, not just a superhero.

Clark was sitting at his desk, trying to work. Lois knew he was only trying, because he kept glancing up at her and smiling. Finally, she got up and walked over to him. “Can’t work either, huh?”

He shook his head. “It’s just I’m so happy that you’re back. I can’t keep my eyes off you,” he said softly.

She grinned, and then took his hand. “Come on,” she said, tugging him to the conference room.

He grinned in return, following close on her heels.

Lois pulled him inside and closed the blinds, not caring that it would look suspicious to their colleagues.

“Lois, what are you doing?” he asked, though he didn’t seem to mind.

She turned him so he leaned against the door. “You may not be able to keep your eyes off me, but I can’t keep my hands off you.”

She leaned in for a quick passionate kiss, and then Clark conceded. “Same here.”

She smiled, a brilliant Lois Lane smile, the likes of which Clark hadn’t seen in a long time. Too long.

“I’ve missed you,” he whispered huskily, leaning in to kiss her cheek, and then her chin, and back to her lips...

“Me too… though I may not have realized it. But you brought me back, Clark,” she said, cupping his face with her hands to look at him. “You and Superman. Not just the flight home, but us. This,” she sighed, leaning into him for another kiss, wrapping her arms around him. “Maybe I did need my prince to kiss me to help me remember, after all.”

“Happy to oblige, Miss Lane. Whenever you need rescuing,” he said, and pulled her in for a deep, slow, memory-returning kiss.

“Mmm… I could do this all day,” she said, luxuriating in the feel of him. “How did you live without me?”

She had meant it in a teasing way, but Clark leaned his forehead against hers and sighed. “It was torture, Lois. I thought I was doing the right thing staying away… but when you left for France—it devastated me.”

She leaned into his embrace, setting her head on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Clark. For whatever I put you through.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Lois.”

“But it was… I should never have left Metropolis… and I should have seen Max for what he is. Well, at least we’ll have the last laugh on that one.”

Clark nodded. “Superman paid him a visit while you were sleeping. He won’t be able to manipulate any patients like that ever again.”

“Good. I’ll be sure to add his downfall to my article,” she said, holding Clark tighter. “Great,” Lois groaned, peering past Clark through the blinds. “Perry’s on his way. We’d better get back to work.”

Lois sighed, stepping out of Clark’s arms to head out of the conference room.

“Lois! Clark! In my office now,” called Perry, waving them over.

Lois and Clark stepped inside, and Perry closed the door.
“Look you two, I know it’s been a helluva few weeks. And you still have to finish your article on the whole ordeal,” he started sternly. But then he smiled, and leaned back on his heels. “But I’m so happy to see you two together again. Knock off for the rest of the day, all right? Send me your article this weekend, Lois. I don’t want to see you two until Tuesday, you got that?”

Lois grinned at Clark. “Yes, Chief,” they answered nearly in unison.

“All right you kids, get on out of here,” Perry said with a friendly wave of his hand. “Go on. Get!”

Lois took Clark’s hand and headed towards their desks to collect their things. “Everybody’s looking at us, Lois.”

She slipped her jacket on and then grabbed Clark’s hand again.
“I don’t care. They didn’t try to get married only to be replaced by a clone, abducted by a formerly dead criminal mastermind, and manipulated by a quack psychiatrist, now did they?”

Clark smiled back at her. “No, I guess you’re right. I guess we better enjoy our good fortune then, huh?”

“Yes, indeed,” she said, tucking her arm through Clark’s as they headed toward the elevator. “Besides, I’m still in need of a bit of therapy. And I much prefer your methods to that awful Dr. Dreadful.”

“Oh, really?” asked Clark playfully as he pressed the elevator button.

The doors opened with a chime, and they both stepped in. “Yes, absolutely,” Lois smiled.

“Well then, Miss Lane. Come on over here, because the doctor is in,” Clark said, pulling Lois into his arms just as the elevator doors closed.

THE END

But the fun doesn't have to end yet! Come on and visit over here!

Last edited by mozartmaid; 06/25/14 04:09 AM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink