Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, what an interesting turn of events. Surely this is not 'it', right?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great story! smile1

Greets,

~ An ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
C'mon CC: you really mean 1/11 = or 1/111, right??

YOU CAN"T LEAVE US THERE>..with Lois crying into her wine on a 6-hour flight to San Francisco???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wallbash wallbash

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh! Maybe the plane gets into trouble and Superman has to come rescue it and spots Lois smile

Or Superman is somewhere else busy and the plane gets way off course and then crashes down onto a deserted island... but is it really deserted? wink (Lol, just kidding!)

Greets,

~ An ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, since Lois really believes that Clark doesn't love her and that Superman let her down - which is logical since she doesn't know that he's Clark and the reason he never told her anything about Lex as Superman is that she refused to believe Clark frown - it makes sense that she'd want to walk away and start again somewhere else.

Though what was the real last straw? Clark not loving her, or being told that she'd be on effectively a trial period at the Planet, with Clark as her senior partner? Unrequited love... or pride? goofy

Seriously, though, this is a fascinating premise. Though I can easily see what comes next. Clark, who does really love her, after all, will go after her. What she forgets, of course, is that he's free - it's not as if she's lost him to someone else. He'll find her, talk to her, persuade her to come back or maybe even move to be with her - because, after all, it's only a simple lie between them. He said he didn't love her so that their friendship could recover. If he knew how she really felt... I think we all know what he'd do. wink

So a sequel? Or will you leave us all to imagine the reunion? goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The truth of the matter is, Carol Malo, that you are a cold cruel woman. Do you have something against happy endings? goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Maybe no reunion and thats it...I like it better that way... blush

Great job! smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be (who runs to hide from the next person to post) peep

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
This is great, Carol! smile1

It's screaming "sequel" to me, don't you think? wink

simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, LLWB's comment does strike a chord with me - I've been reading fanfic in another fandom lately and one thing that's become very clear is that we're very unusual in expecting happy endings in fanfic. Stories where the toys break and stay broken are very common elsewhere. wink

So in ending this story where she did, Carol is in keeping with a common theme in fanfic. smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Probably because Lois and Clark really are meant for each other. In other fandoms, there are also couples who aren't really meant for each other.

Even if Lois&Clark would have continued 5 more seasons, we know they would have stayed together. But you can't say that for all the couples in other fandoms. Not with certainty.

Greets,

~ An ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think An has a point. The show explicitly said that these two were soulmates and ended up together again and again, lifetime after lifetime. So I think there's a natural trust in many fans' minds that they'll always find their way back to one another, no matter what obstacles come their way. I ship couples and read fanfic in many other fandoms, and part of what really appeals to me about Lois and Clark is that you can truly invest in them and have faith that things will work out between them. I like that; they're my comfort couple. wink

Having said that, I really did enjoy this piece and the open-ended way you left it. Those who want to believe that Clark would have followed her can imagine it for themselves, and those who can abide by or even genuinely prefer the idea of Lois not ending up with Clark in this particular tweaking of the story can leave it at that, as well.

This was very interesting; I liked getting a peek into Lois' psyche, so thank you.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
When Superman was created as a character 67 years ago, he was in love with Lois Lane right from the start - or at the very least, Clark Kent certainly was! What other famous fictional hero who keeps getting screen and silver screen time has had the same girlfriend/wife for so many years? Those characters who lose their loved ones in other fandoms, have they really been romantically involved for 67 RL years? I'm all for the idea that Lois and Clark belong together the way extremely few other fictional lovers do.

Ann

A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Exactly -- we know they'll wind up together, even if we get our boatload of angst along the way. So, that "/1" was a typo....

wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy RIGHT? wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

Columnist
Columnist
I really enjoyed this piece! It was an interesting change of pace from the happily ever after (which don't get me wrong, I love), but it's always good to see an ending that makes perfect sense for the characters' personalities, yet still doesn't end up pleasant...and you got Lois and Clark down perfectly. I always wondered why Clark didn't tell Lois about Lex's criminal activity AS Superman when she asked to see him, or why Clark didn't just say 'I know he's evil cause Superman told me'. I know Clark probably didn't like the idea that Lois would buy whatever Superman told her regardless of evidence, while he had to prove his credibility, but certainly it was worth it if she didn't marry Luthor...right? Anyway, I love that you addressed Lois' loss of faith in Superman after knowing he would have let her marry Lex without warning her he was evil....great story! smile1

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The end! Series over. One season. That's it. lol

Nooo! Come back! I'm w/ everyone here. We are spoiled in this fandom because these two are meant to always end up together. So... this is a great stand alone! Interesting spin on things/premise, great writing, angst, etc! An original take on a familiar episode. So how about a sequel???? :rolleyes:

This was a great read! Thanks for sharing smile

~NICOLE

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
With this one-parter you hinted at some topics which I haven't paid much attention to in the past. Reading 'the truth of the matter' really struck a chord in me and at first thought I can see some parallels to 'the butterfly legacy' by Lynn M where it is Clark leaving Metropolis just a few days earlier.

You jump into the story and show dozens of reporters humiliating Lois, then you lead on with a glimpse of hope only to be shattered by Clark. Poor Lois is being verbally beaten the day after by her new employer and suddenly the top banana is no more wink

I can totally see where Lois might get the idea that running away is the best solution. Like Wendy already mentioned, publishing stories without a happy-end is a rare ocurrence and I appreciate those few ones all the more!

But truthfully ... did you plan to end this here or was there a sequel in your mind?

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Having met the lovely CCMalo, I can tell you that she doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but her typing skills may be a wee bit off. When Carol typed "The End" she made a typo. What she meant to say was "The Ending will appear in my next post or two".

I personally think that a sequel isn't called for because in order to have a sequel, you have to have a complete story.

Although good fiction doesn't have to have a happy ending, I think that Lois and Clark stories do need that ending because as I learned many years ago on these boards, we take our toys out of the box, play with them, but then put them back neatly.

And Carol took the toys out and dealt with some difficult questions that both Lois and Clark had to face. The aftermath of the wedding fiasco (and I loved that you called it 'the wedding day' as opposed to 'her' wedding day) must have been really hard on Lois. She was the news rather than the other way around, and most people didn't know that she had said, "I can't" instead of "I do".

Lois's disappointment with Superman for not telling her what he knew about Luthor's activities is also very valid and needed to be dealt with.

And maybe there has to be some reprecussions for Clark's silly fingers-crossed, I really don't love you comment. That's a crock and in some ways he got off too lightly. So losing Lois for a while might get him to think about what he did.

With all that, the story has introduced these elements, but like running away, nothing can be resolved until Lois, Clark and Superman deal with these issues. (And in some ways, Carol, I think you've run away from that challenge.)

So IMHO, I don't think that this post is finished. I'll be glad to read more...actually, I crave to read what happens.

gerry

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I take one day off from the computer, and you go and post this.

whinging

It was really good, though.

I don't mind a few tearjerkers as long as there are happy endings elsewhere to make up for it.

Extremely realistic, because, after all, Lois had pretty much lost everything that she cared about. Why wouldn't she run away? I certainly would be at least tempted to.

Still, I won't be complaining if you decide to write a sequel. <hint, hint>

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Actually, LLWB's comment does strike a chord with me - I've been reading fanfic in another fandom lately and one thing that's become very clear is that we're very unusual in expecting happy endings in fanfic. Stories where the toys break and stay broken are very common elsewhere.
Thanks for that Wendy wink

I actually went back again to read the story and it was interesting how you chose to end it. I am a romantic at heart but for some reason this kind of story was nice because it was different with no possiblity of Clark comming after her. Again great job. smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Kerth
Kerth
So... what's Clark going to do? confused

Jose (Expecting a sequel wink )

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard