Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I got to wondering, today:

Discounting elseworlds where Lois and Clark/Kal are in an arranged marriage for some reason, what's the furthest you've ever seen Clark go, in a fic, without telling Lois he's Superman?

In other words, what's the furthest point in their relationship that they've reached without him telling her? When they're engaged? At the altar? On the honeymoon? After the kids/grandkids are born?

~•~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Kind of depends on how you mark out the relationship! The longest I can remember seeing is a fic where they meet up in Israel, and then 4 or 5 years later Clark comes to Metropolis and finds out Lois had a little girl 9 months later. wink She doesn't want to flat out admit the girl is his daughter, so there's some back and forth before he reveals the secret, but it's in that time frame. So, I guess that might count as "after the kids are born"! laugh

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think you mean Cause and Effect by ML Thompson.

That is a great story. clap

I think there are also others where something similar happens which leaves Lois with child and Clark doesn't know about it.

Kathryn
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I read a short where Clark finally gets around to telling her between the wedding and the reception. If I remember correctly, she faints, and Martha scolds him pretty heavily for not having told Lois beforehand.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh!!! I just remembered another one, "Learning to Love" by CarolM - Clark (well, alt-Clark in foster care) and Lois meet at Journalism camp (there was this one time at journalism camp… okay, sorry, couldn't help myself laugh ) and a series of events leads to a very young marriage, well before Clark thinks to become Superman. He holds off several months before telling her, and even then only when forced to by circumstances. (But he's so young, it's easy to forgive him [Linked Image] )

And while looking for that one, I found "Family Hour" by Shayne Terry - similar concept, one night together leads to a child, but this one takes it 12 years out before they get back together again. And then it's quite a while until The Secret is revealed!

I was on an Elseworlds kick for a while, and yeah, the unexpected child is a popular theme.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I think "Family Hour" is the longest one I know of but that's most definitely an alt-universe.

The longest time for a pretty much cannon universe has Lois figuring it out about 1 year into the marriage. She tries to get Clark to open up, she even arranges to get him all jealous and confused by seducing Superman again.

Grr I can't find it, though. Can't remember what it's called.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, Queen of the Capes - I think you win the prize here with your hilarious fic Phero-Moan My Lovely .

To all: don't miss this snappy vignette! smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
On a more serious note, ML Thompson investigates what would happen if Clark married Lois without telling her his secret, in First Comes Marriage .

You might guess that Lois is a little ticked off by the time she finds out (which, BTW, doesn't take too long.)

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
If I remember correctly "Learning to Love" has Mayson come close to breaking up Clark and Lois's marriage, but if there is a child there at the start of the marriage it isn't Clark's.

Carol M has another one where Lois and Clark get into a shotgun wedding in Latislan. I don't remember when Clark gets around to telling Lois that he is special in that one. It might not be until after she has their second child, so it might not be until after the kids are born.

John Pack Lambert
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by KatherineKent
The longest time for a pretty much cannon universe has Lois figuring it out about 1 year into the marriage. She tries to get Clark to open up, she even arranges to get him all jealous and confused by seducing Superman again.

Grr I can't find it, though. Can't remember what it's called.

I wanted to read this story, so searched for it on the archive. It's called Lois Finds Out and was written by Mobile Richard.

Greets,

~ An ~
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ooo! People remember my little [or not so little!] fics?! So nice!

In LtL it's... a little while. I forget how long, but not terribly after the wedding. They'd known each other, gosh, 6 or 8 years at the time.

In OtOH it's a bit longer iirc. They'd met in late August. Got married in early Jan in Latislan and he told her over spring break - which I think was in March. smile

As for the longest one I remember... Gosh. There was Coming of Age where a high school Lois and Clark meet as camp counselors and when she gets home she finds out she's pregnant. He raises their son for... 7-8 years? before she returns and he tells her at some point not too terribly long after that.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard