Epilogue

Lois stood in her private pleasure spot once more. She stared through the glass and admired the body in full view. Boy did she love her spot, love watching him, studying him. Her eyelashes fluttered and she sighed.

He was naked, stretched out on her bed. Chest down, resting on the mattress his arms were above his head, bent at the elbows, with his head resting on his hands. He was facing away but she could tell he was sleeping peacefully. Whenever that happened she would let him be. She’d climb out of the bed, put on a robe and then step out onto the balcony. She would slide the door shut behind her to cut him off from the city noise, not that it made much difference, but there was a psychological help to the idea of cutting out the noise, and then she would turn and gaze through the glass back to her Mr Right.

Mr Right.

Lois couldn’t really pinpoint the moment she’d finally accepted that he was Mr Right and not just Mr ‘Right Now’. It was also impossible to determine when she’d swapped her private pleasure spot from work to home, not that it mattered. The important thing was that she still had a spot from which she could watch Clark. And it was so much safer here. And the things she got to observe were so much more ... more!

She placed her palm onto the glass and smiled letting her eyes roam over his body. Starting at his feet, just covered by a sliver of bed-sheet, she lazily travelled up his legs. Such powerful legs. At his thighs she paused and nibbled on her lip. Moving the hand placed on the glass until only one fingertip was remaining she trailed an outline of his hips and up to his waist.

At the dimples in the small of his back she stopped and trailed her fingers round in circles. She imagined what it would be like to stroke him tenderly there. He would shiver. She smiled and continued her exploration upwards to his shoulders.

They were so powerful. The position of his arms made his shoulder-blades stand out creating peaks and dips in his smooth skin. Those shoulders carried so much. She’d been carried by them on many occasions, for many different reasons. But there was more. He carried a ‘burden’ on them, not just physical.

She understood him so much better now. All the struggles he’d gone through. All the heartache and worry. She seen how his breakups, both friendship and romantic, had wounded him. His losses in life had left him scared to risk his heart. No wonder she’d thought he could only be after a quick affair ... Mr ‘Right Now’ ... He could never want anything serious.

She laughed, unable to believe it had been a year since she’d forbidden him from using the phrase ‘Right Now’. But thankfully she hadn’t meant it, and he hadn’t paid any attention because, whenever those words came out of his beautiful mouth ...

Brrrr. She shuddered as a shiver went down her spine. Sometimes those words were followed by the most delicious kisses.

Moving on from his shoulders she reached his neck. Ooooh. The times she’d nibbled on the crook of his neck, his head stretched backwards; burying herself in his arms, fingers tangled in his hair.

Jet black, wavy hair. It was so soft, and when she inhaled she was transported to a musky, earthy, magical wood. What is that shampoo?

She was knocked out of her reverie when she noticed him shifting. He lifted his head and placed it back on his hands but facing the opposite way - towards her now. And that’s when she saw that his eyes were open. He had a lazy smile on his face and he locked his gaze with hers.

Her heart rate increased suddenly and she began to pant nervously. He shifted onto his side and rose up on one elbow, never dropping his gaze or his smile. She knew what he wanted. She knew him so well now.

Lois reached for the handle on the balcony doors and slid it open. Stepping through she closed it behind but kept hold and lent backwards.

“I think you should come over here Lois,” he spoke softly.

“Really?” she squeaked out.

“Right now.” She giggled and let go of the handle, striding to the bed. She made it in four steps then dropped herself down next to Clark. “Sometimes I think you purposefully use that phrase just to tease me.”

“Darn right I do,” he admitted, but his eyes held no teasing light, just affection.

Lois straightened herself onto her back but turned her head to face him. “I thought you were sleeping. Didn’t want to disturb you,” she explained.

“I know,” he raised his eyebrows, “But I think you should know, Lois. That I can’t sleep without you next to me. That’s why I spend every night here instead of at my apartment.” He reached out an arm and snuck it round her waist then pulled her in close, partly turning her away so that she spooned into him.

She closed her eyes and smiled. When she felt his nose begin to nuzzle behind her ear she sighed. “Are you alright Clark, you seemed a little quiet when you came home earlier?” She felt the arm at her waist tense up and wished she hadn’t mentioned it.

“I um ....” She heard his gulp and felt the pressure of his deep breath as his chest expanded behind her. She wrapped her arms around his, holding it in place at her waist. She didn’t speak anymore, sensing that he still wasn’t ready to talk. Sometimes he just needed to hold ... and be held.

After a minute of silence he cleared his throat then whispered in her ear. “I was too late.”

Lois shifted and turned over to be facing him. She snuggled up close and placed her hand on his chest. Looking into his eyes she smiled in an understanding way. Clark rolled away a little so that he was looking up at the ceiling and Lois snuggled up close again. She felt the tension in his body, saw the emotionless exterior he was projecting – but she knew the turmoil that was hidden inside.

“There was a girl.” He gulped. “About three years old. She’d climbed into a closet to escape the fire, but ...” Lois moved her head ever so slightly and kissed his chest. She tried to hold in her emotions. It wouldn’t do for her to crack at this point. This was when he needed her to be the strongest person in the world. “Her mother. I took her to the hospital. She’d gone back inside to look. She has third degree burns all over her arm and chest.”

Lois placed her hand on Clark’s mouth to quiet him, to stop the horrors spilling from his lips. Lifting her head she saw the pain in his eyes; the disappointment in his inability to help.

“Smallville, you do so much. Don’t beat yourself up over this. How many people did you save?” It was a rhetorical question and Clark knew it, just nodding in agreement. His forehead crinkled together as he wrestled with his sorrow and then he reached for her, drawing her lips up to his.

The soft comforting kiss lingered on and Lois felt her heart pounding when Clark’s hand travelled round to her back. He pulled her close and slid her underneath. Lois knew the moment Clark had turned desperate. His sorrow poured out of him and she took it off him, freeing him from the burden.

His lips crushed her harder and his hands began to explore, sliding against her silky robe. One hand travelled to the knot at her side and deftly pulled it open. He slid his hand inside and parted the soft fabric.

Lois returned his kiss with all her passion and understanding. Her own arms came up to encircle him, hands trailing up and down his back in fulfilment of her earlier fantasies. When Clark broke off the kiss and pushed himself up and away from her she looked up, blinking slowly. She smiled at him, letting him know that she was willing; that she was here for him; that she loved him ... more than anything else.

He crashed back down onto her letting out all his frustration, all his love and passion, and all his desire for her. She took him into her arms and let him love her fully.

When they were both spent Clark lowered himself to her side slowly. She stroked his cheek with tender fingers and declared her love.

“I love you, Clark.” He lifted his arm and placed it round her so that she could rest on his chest.

As he trailed his fingers along her arm lazily he returned the spoken affection. “I love you too, Lois.”

Lying peacefully in Clark’s arms she smiled when she heard him breathing evenly. Her head rose and fell with his chest.

“You know just what to do Lois,” he said, wonder evident in his voice. “How do you do that?”

“What do you mean?” she asked

“When to just let me hold you. When to let me talk. When to ...”

She gave a light laugh and snuggled up. “Guess I must be your Little Miss Right.”

“And I’m your Mr Right?” Clark asked hopefully.

She looked up at him. “You know you are.”

“I just wish you’d call me something else.” She frowned and he continued ... “Mr Kent.”

“Smallville, don’t you think that’s a bit of a step backwards? Almost like you’re a stranger ... or vague acquaintance.” She lifted her head from his chest and shook it slightly.

“Not when I explain the reason behind it.”

“Do tell,” she encouraged him in a cheeky voice.

“Because I want to call you a different name.”

“Clark Kent, if you are going to start calling me Snuggle Cheeks then I will be forced to kick that indestructible ass of yours.”

“I was thinking more on the lines of ... Mrs Kent.”

“Was that a proposal?” Lois hitched up onto one elbow suddenly. Shock caused her to widen her eyes.

“I think it was,” he spoke slowly. She grinned. “So ... Miss Lane ...” he looked at her, utterly serious.

“Oh, that is so hot. Why did I never notice that before?” she whispered to herself and caught her lower lip between her teeth.

“... would you do me the honour of becoming Mrs Kent?”

“I think,” she licked her lips, “that being your Mrs Kent would be even better than being your Little Miss Right,” and she launched herself at him, toppling him backwards, then peppering him with joyful kisses.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."