Chapter 8

Lois knew she got into trouble more than most people. Sometimes it was her big mouth, other times it was her nosy personality. She’d brushed death on more occasions than she cared to count and each time someone was there to save her. Well, actually it was Clark on one or two occasions in the past. Now the mysterious Blur had taken over the Lois-protection-duties. He always seemed to know when she was in need of rescuing. He always turned up to save the day. That’s why she wasn’t worried when she found herself tied to a chair in the abandoned warehouse she’d been snooping around.

Sure enough there was a sudden commotion and one of her captors went flying through the air. The spot of light illuminating a small patch around her faded into dark within yards and Lois strained to make out what was happening. She could hear the sounds of a miniature battle and then all went still just as another man landed in the light at her feet.

When she felt her bonds loosen and drop she smiled. Everything was quiet but she could hear her own heart beating. She stood and peered out into the dark.

“Are you there?” He didn’t speak but somehow she knew he was in the shadows. There was a comforting presence. He never spoke unless it was over the phone. Why?

“Thank you,” she shouted out to Mr Right. If only.

Walking home in the pouring rain she let herself wallow in some self-pity. Mr Right was definitely out there somewhere. Wouldn’t it be great if it turned out to be a superhero god? He’d love her and cherish her, always be there for her ... in a ‘relationship’ way and in a ‘saving’ way. But Lois had to admit that she didn’t know anything about him apart from the superhero gig.

He has powers, he saves people, he is compassionate. All great, yes, but would he go with me to monster truck rallies or enjoy a six pack on movie night?

I guess the Blur is not Mr Right. So who is?

She reached the door into her apartment and looked up to see Clark waiting. Mr ‘Right Now’. He shares movie night with me, came an unbidden thought, and he has a ... uh ... shares a six pack too. She shook her head.

“Lois,” he said, relief etched in his voice. He strode towards her. “Where have you been? I was worried sick.” He grabbed her arms and held her, looking down into her eyes. It was impossible to move from that spot.

God, he’s gorgeous. Even plastered in rain like I am. Especially plastered in rain.

“Lois, I can’t do this anymore. I can’t wait around for you to have an accident. I can’t wait for you to realise what we could have. I need you to be honest with me ... and honest with yourself. And I need to be honest with you.”

“Clark, what is there to be honest about?”

“What is there? Lois, what exactly do you think happened in the copy room this afternoon?” Lois was suddenly afraid. He was shouting. Clark was shouting at her. He never shouted like this.

“Ok,” she said gesturing casually, “so there’s some attraction, some tension. What difference does that make?”

“What difference? Lois, it’s more than that.” He turned away and ran his fingers through his hair. “At least it is for me. Maybe it’s not for you then.” He turned back and pointed out to her then dropped his arm back again.

“Lois,” he paused. “You mean something to me. Something more ... more than Lana. I never thought I’d be able to say that, but it’s true.” Lois stood, rooted in place. “And when you ran off this afternoon I got so worried. I thought I’d done something wrong. Maybe chased you away, somehow.” He stepped back towards her and took hold of her arm. “Please don’t run away, Lois.”

“Clark, I’ve done this dating thing so many times, and it always went wrong. I don’t want it to go wrong again. I don’t think my heart could take another crack in it. And with you,” she stopped and gulped. Thank goodness it’s raining or he’d know these were tears rolling down my cheek. “With you, I don’t think I’d get a crack in my heart.” She broke free from his grasp and turned. “I think it would shatter.”

Lois felt a tentative touch on her shoulder. “I’d never hurt you Lois. Never.” His voice was so raw and quiet. She turned back to look at him. The rain was coming down so thick that she had to blink furiously to keep her eyes clear. She looked up into his eyes and saw the truth shining from them.

“Clark,” she spoke but with no idea what to say next.

“We’ll take it slow, do it right. Whatever you want Lois. I just ...” He trailed off and lifted a hand to her cheek. He stroked a soaked piece of hair behind her ear. “I just want to be with you.”

Lois felt a river welling up inside. She was unable to speak but a smile touched her lips. Mr Right? She brought a hand up to touch his chest. One of the ‘cracks’ in her heart opened and a feeling of hope stole inside. It’s not just a ‘passing fancy’. He’s the one. Her smile turned to a grin and she slipped the hand further up to his neck. She pulled his head down to hers and when their lips touched she opened up her heart fully. There was no break, no shatter, no splinter. In fact the swelling of emotion felt like ultimate healing.

When they pulled apart Lois knew she looked embarrassed – hopefully in a cute, shy way.

“Would you like to come up for a coffee?” she asked.

“What? Right now?” Clark replied.

Lois grinned and giggled. Mr Right Now. “Of course right now, Clark.” She linked arms with him and started to lead him up the steps. Half way up she stopped and turned. “Before we go any further I just have to make our first ‘relationship demand’.”

“What is it Lois?” Clark looked at her seriously.

“ ‘Right Now’. Don’t ever use that phrase again.”

“What?” He looked at her in confusion. “Why?

“Just. I have my reasons.” She smiled wryly and turned back to the steps. There’s no more Mr Right Now. Just Mr Right. As she opened the door to her apartment she smiled. Well, maybe a little bit of Mr Right Now ... every now and again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."