Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254338 05/18/14 04:54 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sorry again about the graphic violence. This won't be a recurring trend; after this I doubt Clark will let himself be caught by surprise again, even if it risks jeopardizing his secret.

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I've been lurking around, reading this story, and wow it keeps going in a direction I'm not expecting. didn't expect the adults to come to definitely didn't expect the twist with Joe. definitely looking for the next chapter , thank you so much.

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh my gosh, JOE!!! [Linked Image] Did someone start a "shock the daylights out of your readers" challenge this weekend and I missed it?

First of all, I'm a little surprised Tom even picked Joe for this little "mission." Sure, he's been yukkin' it up with the rest of them, but he hadn't struck me as being as cruel as Tom and his buddies. Kind of curious about that backstory.

And then, OMG, I can't believe Bill killed Joe. I'm actually a little unclear on the "how" still, with your description, but then, that's okay, somehow I don't think I really WANT to know the exact mechanics. [Linked Image]

What a terrifying situation for our young teenagers. With that kind of price on their heads, even Clark is going to have a hard time keeping them under the radar. I'm sure he's made plenty of enemies on the streets who would just LOVE to turn him over to Intergang - $100 grand and they get rid of the neighborhood pest? Sounds like a good deal. [Linked Image]

I'm hoping Lois thinks to go to the Daily Planet for help and runs into Perry. It's their (Ralph's) fault they're in so much trouble at the moment, AND this is a pretty juicy lead into the local organized crime.

Oh, wait, Perry was friends with Bill Church... [Linked Image] darn it! Well, still, the Daily Planet's gotta be their best shot if they can't go to the police.

Man, the more I think about this, the more worried I am about these kids. I mean, Clark's powers can help some, but only so far until he has to make the choice between public discovery or leaving Metropolis behind completely. Lois already has enough to start asking a lot of questions once she's past the shock of the night.

I hope you post the next chapter before I chew off all my fingernails!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yikes! Poor Joe. mecry Yes, the Churches aren't a family you want to cross. Clark's probably wishing that he hadn't discounted Charlie's warning from a year earlier.

At first, I had thought Bill Church Sr. had only hit Joe in the face with the gun. It was only later when he said that it would look like a suicide that I realized what exactly happened. sad I am a bit surprised that Tom wasn't more freaked out by what his dad shooting Joe right in front of him. He must already know what kind of man his father is, but still knowing and seeing him do it to one of your friends is world changing for people.

Lois is lucky in her friendship of Clark. I have a strange feeling that her entire life and world view is going to change tonight, and that's not just because the Churches are trying to kill her.

Geeze, people, it's only a football game. dizzy Is it really necessary to kill people over this? I mean I know, like Terry said, to some people football is EVERYTHING, but they sure have their priorities whacked.

Something major is going to have to happen (i.e. the Fall of Intergang) otherwise Lois will not be able to go back to her previous life. She'll never be safe, even if Clark sticks like glue to her. And while that too could be nice, it would be too confining for her life. Would she want to go into witness relocation? Would they even offer it to her? Will Lois and Clark have to start a life on the run? Even if they move to another city, change their names, they'll never be able to trust anyone except each other, and will have to constantly be looking over their shoulders. Will they ever make it out from under the thumb of the Church family? She and Clark just witnessed Bill Church kill a 17 y.o. boy and set fire to her house. This isn't something that they'll be able to brush off and hide away from for a few hours, and still be able to return to their previous life, come Monday morning.

Where are you heading with this story? shock Please, let Perry turn against his friends the Churches and help Lois and Clark by publishing their story. It won't solve all their problems but it'll help, somewhat. I'm afraid they'll be on their own though for a while.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shayne,

I'm ashamed to say that although I have enjoyed the prequel to this story and am immensely enjoying this one, this is the first review I am leaving. Please forgive me for my silence. grovel

This part was fantastic. (Well, all of the parts so far have been fantastic, but this one was even more so.)

It was clear in my mind what was happening: Bill forced Joe's hand up and made Joe shoot himself with the gun. The only thing that might keep it from looking like a suicide to the coroner would be if Bill put enough pressure on Joe's arm to leave bruises. Of course, since someone in the coroner's office has been bought off, any such evidence might be moot. But then again, if Lois and Clark manage to break into the morgue (how morbid!), they might be able to take pictures of the evidence.

I suspect that Lois and Clark's first stop will be to see Brother Wayman. Or if they are afraid that their presence might endanger him, they might seek help from Louie instead.

And there is a certain irony in the fact that were it not for Clark's swift actions, Lois would also be homeless. Of course, until this situation is resolved, she is, de facto, homeless, since she can't safely go near any of her relatives' homes.

There seem to be more and more meanings to the title of this story. I've seen three so far. (The typical high school reunion day rah-rah activity, Clark eventually finding a home and now, apparently, Lois finding one, as well.)

I definitely see a Kerth in your future for this one, Shayne. Correction, I see multiple Kerths.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., A weekly news magazine that I get has a blurb for a charity of the week. This past week's charity was apropos to this story. The mission of My Stuff Bags Foundation ( mystuffbags.org) is to give duffle bags full of items such as clothes, toys, and security blankets to child care agency to distribute to children who are homeless or in the foster care system. According to the magazine, the charity has a four-star rating (the highest possible rating) from Charity Navigator.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 05/18/14 08:45 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yikes, Lois (and Clark) have landed in the deep end. Taking on Intergang while still in high school I think is too much even for Lois Lane. She's very lucky she met Clark.

Even so, I'm with Colleen: L&C need adult help, and soon. As Virginia points out, the resolution of this is going to either be the defeat of the Churches, or L&C on the run and in hiding. The Daily Planet and Perry would be a good place to start. Perry is not the kind of man who'd let his friendship with Bill Church stand in the way of doing the right thing.

“A freak windstorm?” Clark offered feebly.

<facepalm /> Clark, you need to tell Lois soon, if only because you need help coming up with better excuses.

Great story! I can't wait for the next part.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. shocked

Just Wow. So, technically, Lois is homeless now, right? Is this how it all ends: Lois and Clark as two vagabonds, roaming the streets on the run from Intergang?

Where is Clark taking her, anyway? Has he actually gotten a place since the prequel?

I'm so glad he came to her rescue, but what'll it take for them to finally be out of the woods? eek

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! I guess Joe won't be coming to that high school reunion that happened in canon.

I wonder if L&C will be able to testify at Church's trial in the future - in fact, will they make it alive to a trial? And will Church ever come to trial for his misdeeds, given that he has everyone in Metropolis bought off and in his pocket?

I forgot - where is Lex Luthor in this universe? Is he fighting Intergang? Did you already mention him?

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Wow, this went far beyond anything I expected. I do hope they go to Perry. I'd love to see a scene with a disbelieving Perry being talked 'round by Ralph.

Someone suggested going to Louie, and someone else wondered where Lex Luthor is at this point in time.

I can just see Nigel as the rescuer of L&C. I am certain it would serve Luthor's goals to take down Church et al.

Very much looking forward to more.

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Poor Joe. Poor Lois. At least she has Clark. I wonder what Sam will think when he gets home. I'm looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I was going to say it about the previous installment, but it makes sense here, too.

Cutting the phone and power is something that adults would do, so I was surprised that Tom and Joe were involved. I mean, how many times have copper thieves ended up in the news because they tried to steal active transformers? (Well, probably more in the Detroit area than average.) I don't know if Tom and Joe would be able to cut the power to a house without electrocuting themselves or setting the place on fire.

BTW, this wasn't the kind of "violence" I was looking forward to.

Thanks for the great story.

Shallowford
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow. Clark thought he felt bad about not rescuing Lois sooner at school... Joe's murder right in front of him is going to really shake him. Lois better find out about his powers soon, because he's going to need a confidant.

I too was surprised that Tom and Joe managed to cut the power and phone. Maybe Bill has been training Tom for low-level thuggitude, since he seems to be aware he won't amount to anything else.

Also, it didn't sound like Perry is editor yet, just a regular reporter like Norcross & Judd. That doesn't mean they can't go to him, just that he might not be their first stop.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
So Clark and Lois will be hiding out, but what about school? They'll both be truant, and neither can afford that for the sake of their grades. And they could be arrested, or at least picked up by the cops, if they're found out and about during school hours, couldn't they?

And given that Bill, Sr. has cops in his pocket, will they put out an APB on them? I'm sure that Bill can come up with some sort of fake crime that they've committed to justify it. And what will Clark's reputation on the street do for him now that he's got a hit out on him? Will thugs and gangsters be more afraid of him, or more interested in the money?

I wonder where Clark has actually been staying. He must sleep at some point, right? And have somewhere to keep his clothes? Evidently he isn't somewhere with easy access to a shower, or else he wouldn't be using the locker room in the morning.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
holy moly!!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard