Chapter 5

Lois was at her private pleasure spot again. It was the only place she allowed herself to enjoy her Clark fantasies. Anywhere else they were a distraction; an annoyance; inappropriate. But here ... she could smile, nibble on her lip, squint her eyes and moan out load ... and revel in it.

Resting her chin on her hand, leant on top of the copier, she’d given up all pretence of copying this afternoon. Thankfully it was a quiet day, from a work colleague point of view. It was practically just her and Clark keeping the bull pen running. That meant there was little chance of being interrupted.

Lois licked her lips when she saw Clark pick up a donut from the box on their desks. As he lifted it closer to his lips she opened her mouth a little, as if anticipating a taste. And there’s the first moan of the afternoon, Lois. She didn’t care. This was the one time, and place, where it was allowed.

She continued to stare as Clark placed the donut back down and strolled round to her side of the desks, searching through her papers for some corroborating quote ... or something. She paid no attention to the reason for his visit to her side; rather she focussed on his behind which she was currently getting an excellent view of.

God, why does he wear such form fitting trousers? Moan number two, Lois.

When he walked back to his desk and settled himself into his own seat she began comparing his graceful movements to the dancing. Her mind recalled the feel of his hand on her waist and the way he swayed her gently.

#####

“You look beautiful tonight, Lois.” She looked away shyly.

“Thank you.”

He pulled her closer and she locked eyes with him again. She was unable to draw away. She felt his hand in the small of her back. A warm sensation spread out from there and up her spine. She felt herself relaxing into Clark’s arms. His eyes searched her face as if he were trying to read her. She tried to keep a plain look on her face but knew that if he stared too long into her eyes he’d see the truth.

He’d see that she was terrified. He’d see that she was vulnerable, conflicted. He’d see that she desired him. But worst of all, he’d see that she was in love, he’d see that she loved him.

Oh God, when did that happen?

Her realisation that she both loved him and was ‘in love’ with him came at the moment that his eyes softened and his mouth started to quirk. Within seconds he was grinning. He saw it. He knows. Lois felt her eyes widen in terror. Nope, don’t react.

“Lois, I think we should go on a real date.” He spoke softly. She was numb with shock. Dating? Real dating? “You don’t have to give me an answer right now ...” he continued but the words brought her out of the shock. Mr Right Now. Remember, he’s Mr Right Now, not Mr Right.

“Um, do you really think that’s a good idea, Smallville,” she spoke softly too.

“I do,” he whispered. The dancing seemed to stop and they were just stood in each other’s arms. Clark started to lower his head and Lois felt a sense of déjà vu. Unable to escape she tilted her head back ready to let him kiss her. At the last moment he turned his head to the side. The sense of déjà vu increased. She turned to follow the direction of his gaze but didn’t see anything of interest. When he turned back to look at her she frowned.

“I’m sorry, Lois.” He glanced down then back up in a second. “I have to go, right now. I’m really sorry.” And then her arms were empty and the warmth was gone.

She walked back to the bar in a daze. I can’t believe he did it again. But, more than that, I can’t believe I did it again. Stupid, stupid, stupid Lois. How many times did you tell yourself not to fall for Mr Right Now?

#####

Lois got so lost in her memories that she didn’t notice Clark leaving his desk. When her conscious mind engaged she realised she was staring at an empty chair. Immediate panic hit her stomach and she started to look around frantically. Peering into the office as much as the window would allow she could find no sign of him. Relief coursed through her body; relief that she hadn’t been found out.

Lois, you nearly ruined your private pleasure spot then by losing control. If he’d found you ...

Unwilling to risk another mistake she quickly left the copy room and returned to work.

It wasn’t much later when Clark returned to his desk, steaming coffee in hand. “Oh, Lois,” he glanced up at her. “I didn’t realise you were back from your marathon copying.”

“Yup, all done,” she replied brightly and innocently.

“I’ll get you a coffee then, I’d have brought one back with me if I knew.”

“No, that’s ok, Smallville, you don’t have to ...” but he was already up and gone. She dropped her head to her hands and groaned. After a minute of self recrimination Lois brought her head back up. Ok, that’s it. Just admit defeat and go home before things get any worse. She stood up impulsively and turned around colliding with Clark instantly. The coffee he was carrying squashed against his chest and spilled all down his shirt. Lois stumbled back in horror.

“Oh, no. I’m so sorry, Clark.” She automatically started a wiping motion with her hands, sweeping them up and down his chest.

“Lois,” Clark spoke. She reached behind her for some paper towels on her desk and then continued trying to dry up the spill. “Lois,” he said louder.

“I’m really sorry, Clark.”

“Lois!” he practically shouted. She stopped and looked at her hands, splayed over his chest. God, I love his chest. I could just explore that chest all day. When a finger on her cheek shocked her out of her thoughts she looked up into Clark’s face. “It’s ok. It was an accident.”

The look in his eyes captured her and she was unable to move. They seemed lost in each other for hours, no-one speaking, until Clark finally moved.

“Um, I think I should change this shirt.” Lois nodded mutely. “Luckily I actually have a spare in my drawer.” He separated himself from her slowly and she watched him walk away. He’s doing it now. He’s changing his shirt in front of me. Look away, Lois. Look away. But she couldn’t.

She slid herself into her seat without blinking. She knew her mouth was open slightly. Breathing became difficult. Oh boy. Farm work is better than going to the gym. When Clark slipped a fresh, clean, crisp shirt over his shoulders and began buttoning it Lois noticed that he was looked at her. He was facing away but his eyes were sneaking glances through his eyelashes. Cover, Lois. Say something to cover it up.

“Um, you gonna finish that donut, Smallville?” She reached forward without waiting for an answer and picked it up, taking a bite immediately.

She turned away and swung round on her chair putting herself in completely the opposite direction. She heard rustling from behind her. Hopefully he’s finished buttoning up his shirt and I can get my hormones back under control. Jeez, Lois, you’re not a teenager.

The rustling stopped and everything went quiet. Lois paused with the donut halfway to her mouth. What’s he doing? Suddenly she was tugged up, out of her chair and Clark was holding her tight.

“Ok, that’s enough.” She frowned and shook her head. Clark glanced around the bull-pen and, noticing Jeff the intern wandering around, he pulled on Lois’s arm. Lois trotted along next to Clark as he strode down the corridor and dragged her into the copy room. He finally let go of her arm, twirled her free and she ended up stood in her special spot. But Clark wasn’t on the outside of the room now. He was stood directly in front of her and the expression on his face was a mystery to her.

“Lois, we are going to talk about this. Right now.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments are over here

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."