Chapter 4

Clark arrived at seven-o-clock. Lois opened the door tentatively. “Um, what you doin’ here Smallville?”

“Told you I’d pick you up,” he pushed on the door while smiling and strolled past her into the apartment. She was left staring out into the dark holding the door. Her heart was beating a mile a minute. It didn’t help that he scrubbed up incredibly well. His suit was so well fitting that her mouth went dry again. She wasn’t even looking at him now, he’d walked past her, but her mind remembered every detail from the gently waving hair just creeping over his forehead down to the shiny patent black shoes just peeping out from under the hem of his jet black trousers. Lois tried to calm her breathing. Bad boy. There’s a ‘bad boy’ look about him tonight ... all in black.

“Um, Smallville, you’ve got a terrible memory. Either that or selective hearing loss.” She turned back to him and pushed on the door, letting it fall shut on its own.

“My hearing is just fine, Lois. It’s you that seems to have memory loss. You’ve forgotten that I’m a small-town farm boy who was brought up with impeccable morals and etiquette. A gentleman always picks up his date.” His smile was cheeky and the twinkle in his eye was working like magic on her heart.

“Whoa. Hold it there. This is not a date.” She held up her hand in a stop motion.

“If you say so, Lois.” He twisted his head to one side and grinned even wider. Turning away he quickly glanced round the apartment. “So, are you ready?” He looked back at her. “Do you have a coat?”

“Um, no, just this shawl.” She lifted up a thin silk scarf decorated with a faint red and blue swirl pattern. It slipped out of her fingers to the floor. Clark stepped forwards and reached down for it. Lois rolled her eyes and groaned inwardly at the sight of his trousers pulled tightly over his butt. He picked up the shawl then draped it round her shoulders.

He really is an old fashioned gentleman. “I like the colours, Lois.” Don’t you dare be so nice, especially while dressed so ‘bad’.

When they arrived at the Ace of Clubs Ollie collared both of them. “Lois, you look lovely, but I hope you will excuse me stealing your date for a few minutes.” He grabbed Clark’s arm and they walked off as Lois opened her mouth to protest that Clark wasn’t her date. She shut it a moment later having not had the opportunity to say a word.

She ‘hmmmphed’ and strolled over to the bar. Leaning back onto it she looked out to survey the room periodically sneaking a glance back at Clark. Lois shut her eyes when she realised and gave herself a stern talking to. He’s been driving you mad for weeks. What’s happened to you, girl? You’ve always been the one in charge, the one with the upper hand. She opened her eyes again. You know, Clark, I think it's time you had a taste of your own medicine. She narrowed her eyes and grinned at herself then proceeded to search the room for the perfect target.

She ran out of time. Clark was heading straight for her so she reached out and grabbed the nearest guy.

“Hey, how about a dance?” She gave her best, flirtatious smile.

“Sure,” came the surprised reply. He took her hand and led her out to the dance floor then put his arms around her. Lois felt uncomfortable but when she glimpsed the look of jealousy all over Clark's face she let herself relax. Manoeuvring herself and her partner so that her back was to Clark she began to move her backside as slowly and seductively as possible.

After a few minutes of what Lois hoped was torture for Clark she let herself be swung round so that she could get a look at his reaction. Her mouth dropped open and she quickly clamped it back shut. He wasn't even looking. He was dancing with someone else. How dare he dance with someone else. She turned back to her partner and tried to forget about Clark.

It was impossible. Her traitorous thoughts and eyes kept returning to Clark and her enthusiasm for the dance was lost. Her partner soon caught on and gracefully ended the dance, exiting when the music came to an end.

Lois was stood with her arms folded feeling incredibly grumpy when there was a tap on her shoulder.

“Care for a dance, Legs?” She smiled and nodded.

“Sure Ollie.”

Throughout the dance with Oliver she was constantly distracted by the sight of Clark dancing with another woman. Thank goodness he’s not dancing with that floozy any more. I mean ... wearing such a short skirt ... and fishnet tights of all things.

The dance ended and Ollie went off to find another partner. Lois felt trapped when she saw Clark aiming for her again so she pounced on another unsuspecting bystander.

Again she tried to dance seductively for Clark’s benefit but, once again, he ended up dancing with another woman rather than watching her. At least it’s Chloe this time. When she glanced up randomly a few minutes later she caught him looking. Her breath caught in her throat. Finally The jealous look was etched deeply all over his face so she wiggled her bottom again and pressed her chest up against her dance partner.

She immediately realised her mistake when her partner made a move and she had to kick him ... lightly ... in the shins. “Sorry, buddy, but that’s off limits.”

She made her way back to the bar and sat down on a stool. I can’t believe I’m acting this way. Lois, get a grip. You’ve lost all control, and even when you tried to gain it back you actually made it ten times worse.

She picked up a glass and knocked back a shot of ... something ... that someone had left lying around.

“I think I’ve waited long enough,” came a silky voice from over her shoulder. “It’s time for OUR dance.” Lois held tightly onto the glass. “Right now.”

Oh God. Dancing with Mr Right Now. I can do this. I can.

She let go of the glass and stood. When she turned to face Clark she plastered a wide smile on her face.

“Sweep me of my feet then, Smallville,” she said as a sarcastic challenge.

“I intend to,” came his dangerous reply.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."