Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253896 05/10/14 01:29 AM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The assignment they were given is an actual 11th grade history assignment and is quoted directly:

http://www.weareca.org/uploads/documents/lessonplans/cch_all_lessons.pdf

The information on the Dust Bowl is all true as well.

Well, what do you think?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It doesn't seem like Clark is trying to hide his homelessness from Lois any more. In fact, I half wonder if he assumes she's already figured it out. (I'm assuming he's still homeless. Brother Wayman could have found him a shelter, but I can't imagine Clark taking a spot away from someone who's not invulnerable.)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I get the feeling Lois might be falling for Clark faster than he is for her. He's so cautious and careful in this incarnation, and I get the impression he doesn't feel he's in a position to have a relationship. Certainly Lois's parents will be horrified at her having a relationship with a homeless boy.

This continues to be a great story! I like the social themes you're weaving through it. Superman got his start in the Depression, when many people were in desperate circumstances.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by DebbieG
I get the feeling Lois might be falling for Clark faster than he is for her. He's so cautious and careful in this incarnation, and I get the impression he doesn't feel he's in a position to have a relationship. Certainly Lois's parents will be horrified at her having a relationship with a homeless boy.
Clark is no way ready for a romantic relationship; although, I'm betting he wishes he were. I believe he does like Lois but being focused on his education, garnering funds for college, his duties as hero to the homeless, and the fact that he knows that Lois is heading to Ireland in a few short months, he wouldn't want to pursue a relationship at this time. Also, he's still nervous about his powers and his ability to control them, that I could see him more worried about accidentally hurting Lois than anyone else. Plus, being homeless, I cannot see himself as someone Lois *should* have a relationship with. Nor can I see him being comfortable at the Lane house, whether or not her father is at home, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him make a hasty exit. Dr. Lane would never approve of him for his daughter, because Clark is homeless, and Clark knows this without having ever met the man. He said as much from what he said to Lois about how she treated his friends at the soup kitchen.

I don't think Lois has figured out that Clark is homeless, but I'm sure she's pretty close to figuring it out... especially after that interaction with the boy at the library who Clark referred to Brother Wayman. Clark's never hidden it, per se, but he's never announced it either. It's going hit her like a strike of lightning and, suddenly, everything she's learned about him will make sense. I'm interested to see in which direction and manner her freakout will happen (whether it's external or internal).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Clark doesn't seem afraid to show Lois some of his abilities, even if not openly. I believe he realizes that Lois is smarter and more observant than an average high school student. It shows some trust on his part, even if it's not done on purpose.

KateB
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
...And nine months later, they got married. Right? wink

I couldn't help but be amused at the commodore 64 with it's 3-page capacity. Even though it's just a tad before my time, it still reminds me of the computers we had in my childhood, where you sometimes had to stop and insert the second floppy disk to continue your progress, and having a whole megabyte of space was a huge deal. smile

~•~
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Lois and Clark are exceptional, however they are teenagers, and well, some things are going to happen regardless of good intentions.
Loving the side trips down memory lane - vinyl, white out, photo shops and all.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Analyze the different explanations for the Great Depression and how the New Deal fundamentally changed the role of the government. Discuss the human toll of the Depression, natural disasters and unwise agricultural practices and their effect on the depopulation of rural regions and on political
movements of the left or right, with particular emphasis on Dust Bowl refugees and their social and economic impacts in California.”

“Is everybody getting the same assignment?” he asked.

Lois shook her head. “I talked to some of the others. Some of them are getting assignments on the major developments of the 1920s, some about race relations since the 1920s, and some about World War II.”

“So he’s not just picking on us,” Clark said.

“He’s just like that,” Lois said.

It seems as if this teacher actually wants them to learn. Why do I think that Tom Church and the other football players will regret not having Lois in their group?

The librarians all seemed to know Clark. They called him by name, smiled at him and seemed to go out of their way to be helpful.

Clark seemed to know them all as well. Although Lois had always thought Libraries were supposed to be quiet, he asked each of them questions about their private lives and families.

You can see how the foundation of how and why Superman fights so hard for humanity. This is the kind of thing that will keep Superman going when Clark is tired or discouraged.

“What, him?” Lois asked...

“His backpack was full of clothes,” Clark said. “If it was filled with books it would hang differently."

Interesting. I bet that Clark didn't even have to use his X-ray vision to see that.

ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
All the points about rushing into a relationship are well noted, and I agree with you. Don't worry; I'm not going to write an nfic starring two 17 year olds. Next section is up tonight.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Shayne reading about the Commodore 64 was a real blast from the past!

Great writing! Keep the story coming!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard