Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253684 05/05/14 11:31 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sorry about the long wait. I was away from a keyboard for five days and I tried writing on an IPAD but found it very slow going. If there are more typos than usual, it's because of that. I'm back now, and should be able to post a little more quickly. I appreciate everything everyone has been saying. Let me know what you think?

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
*singsong*

Lois has a cru-ush! Lois has a cru-ush!

It's interesting that the soup kitchen is his equivalent to Smallville (at least in terms of the canon version's response to Smallville in comparison to this version's soup kitchen).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lois pretested -> Lois protested.

Another great chapter! Lois's curiosity is fully engaged. She won't rest till she solves the mystery that is Clark.

It will be interesting to see how Lois explains the feelings she's having at the end. Or, explains away, more likely. wink

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Wonderful part and delighted to see Clark as part of a community.

Framework4
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Warm fuzzies. Definitely warm fuzzies. Looking forward to more!

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana

I have been away from these boards for a long time (dabbling in other fandoms) - just visited today and saw a Shayne Terry story.. quickly read Vagrant and got up to to speed with Homecoming.. wonderful as always...

Loved the plot as well as how Lois is gradually losing interest in the football story and becoming more captivated by Clark.

Thanks for renewing my interest in lcfanfic once again.. going to read more LnC stories smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Aw, Lois... he already told you how to reconcile it.

“It’s about redemption,” Clark said. “I like the idea that no matter what you’ve done you can turn your life around and become a better person.”

For the first time this evening, Lois thought she saw Clark starting to relax.

“Even if the law doesn’t agree?”

“Even then,” Clark said. “We can’t control what other people think about us, we can only work on being the best people we can be.”

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
One of these days, she'll realize that because people often think wrongly of her, they might also be wrong about Clark.

Julie has definitely shown her true selfish colors as a not-quite-a-friend. With friends like this, she might as well become buddy-buddy with Annette. It's almost hard to believe that people would care more about winning a few football games than getting a proper education for these football players. I know this was common in many school during this time (and possibly still is today), but still it's sad.

At first, I wasn't sure whether or not to like Mr. Johnson. He should have informed Lois and Clark about the project when they returned to class after being pulled out of it to be taken to the principal's office. That's what we call common courtesy. They shouldn't be expected to psychic as well as high schoolers. Again, I know people often treat high school and college students like this. They put unfair expectations on people that I've found don't really occur in real life. If you miss an important meeting at work, people will make decisions concerning you but at least you'll be CC'd on the memo. Huge projects and due dates are usually mentioned on the syllabus given out at the beginning of term, so if you miss a class you can't claim total ignorance. Perhaps I'm naive or just went to good schools, but I'm glad I only encountered one teacher who played power-trip games like this. It's just another form a bullying.

It wasn't until, Mr. Johnson said that Church wouldn't be in a group with a smart student to do his work for him, did I realize that this had actually been a boon for Lois and for her football investigation. If Tom Church ended up in a group with Julie or Joe, then they might realize how much he was taking advantage of them for his own gain. I hope Tom DID end up in a group with Julie AND Joe. Maybe Lois will luck out and she'll end up with a secret source. It makes me wonder what's going to happen to these football players *after* the season is over. Will they suddenly be expected to turn in assignments where they hadn't before?

I love it when Lois's expectation and prejudices are totally knocked askew. I agree with other readers, her visiting Clark at the Soup Kitchen was very similar to her preconceived notions upon arriving in Smallville. I'm glad to see Charlie and Rufus are still alive and thriving. smile1 Even better, it's good to see her look at Clark through these people's eyes as opposed to Louie's or the Principal's.

Can't wait to see them working together on this project.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I presume that's Charlie King that Clark is talking to? I hope so; it's good to see that he's ok. I was afraid that he'd be dead by now, given how sickly he was before.

I'm glad that Lois was able to figure out that the teacher was doing her a favor with the group assignment. I wonder whether he will end up helping her with her investigation. I guess that partly depends on whether he thinks that her investigation will actually yield any real results or changes. If all that happens is that Lois gets caught by the school administration, Mr. Johnson wouldn't want to be associated with her at all.

There were a few places in this chapter where you've got typos or it got confusing:

Young Mr. Kent, of course, Mr. Johnson said. “As he was the only other student missing from class when the assignment was made.”

“There are only two of us, Lois said. She didn’t actually mind having to work with Clark, but she hoped she’d be able to wheedle some sort if concession out of Mr. Johnson.
You're missing some quotation marks here.

Louis gave him a skeptical look.
Lois?

“It also provides an opportunity to pad the grades of the poor students so that it’s not necessary just see them again next year.”
Who said this? It seems like it's Lois being snotty, but it's not entirely clear.

“That doesn’t seem...” Lois began.
Oh, so it's the teacher who said it? Hmmm.

“So tell me about the assignment,” Lois said.

“Are you sure he didn’t say we could work alone?” Clark asked.
Could you put some asterisks in between here or something to indicate a change of scene?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
What a great chapter. clap I'm glad Lois met Brother Waymon and was able to see Clark being himself. I wonder if Charlie will tell her a story about Clark saving his life.
Please, post soon. grovel

Last edited by KateB; 05/06/14 09:22 PM.

KateB
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's probably not anything important to the plot, but I'm curious what the group project is. I don't think you even said what class Mr. Johnson is teaching - science, English, geography?

It's nice to hear Brother Wayman's perspective of Clark at the food kitchen. He seems to have built a little family there with at least a couple of people who look out for him.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois is now seeing Clark in his natural habitat - a place where he is helping others. Good training for the Superman-to-be. I think it would be interesting to see how this Superman will differ from the canon Superman - I don't know if your fic will go that far, but it's an interesting speculation.

This Clark has had many more trials and tribulations than canon Clark and yet he seems to be making a life for himself, beating the odds. And he has gotten to know the poor and helpless throughout the city. Very different from canon Clark who grew up in (relative) luxury with two parents on the Kansas farm. But maybe not so different after all - I'm sure the Kents insisted that canon Clark do charity work, yes?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Julie is a terrible friend. At least Lois ended up with Clark as a partner for the project.

I enjoyed the scene where Lois watches Clark at the soup kitchen. I'm looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
very satisfying part! thanks

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Glad to know that Charlie and Rufus are still around. If Lois could talk to Charlie I'm sure it would be an enlightening conversation.

Keep posting! It's a very good story! clap

Andreia

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard