Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, now if I check the "keep me logged in" box, it refuses to log me in at all.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Wendymr
I've talked with Annette about this. Bottom line, data that's missing is missing, unfortunately. There isn't anything we can do to make it reappear frown However, at some point we may be able to make a read-only version of the old boards available, so you can copy and paste stuff over.

I also asked about the quote limit. Quotes do take up additional space in the database, so the higher the quote limit the more space an individual post takes - which slows things down as well. Our suggestion is that if you really feel the need to quote more text then make a second comment post goofy

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by LMA
I just happened to leave FDK for Anti-K's latest story with 11 quotes smile...right before the limit of 10 was installed.

Anyway...I'm still having the same issues with my old posts. Some seem fine, some are missing things, and some are shrunken down to not much of anything. The ones that are missing things--the stuff that is missing doesn't follow a certain pattern or anything--some things gone at the beginning of the post, others have the posts shortened so only the last half of a response is there...and it's not just certain quoted areas taken out of the posts. It's essentially a whole section of a post--the beginning/the middle/or the end--with the quotes and my FDK.

The strangest one is in the most current FDK thread to "The Wedding"--I know that I only posted maybe (at most one or two) quotes in that particular FDK. It was more of a discussion and I had typed up multiple paragraphs...Now, since the update, that FDK only shows the first line or two of the first paragraph and nothing else. So this example--at least--isn't b/c of too many quotes.

I did tell LabRat about it this morning and she put a ticket in for my acct.

Hmmm...

Thanks for all the effort everyone--really appreciate it smile
Laura

Thanks for checking into this, Wendy--and glad to have an answer smile.

And great point about the number of quotes--if we want to leave more than 10 in FDK, start another post dance.

Thanks guys--for all the work involved getting the boards updated...

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 04/29/14 12:11 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Okay, now if I check the "keep me logged in" box, it refuses to log me in at all.

Is anyone else still having this issue? I was having it earlier, but it seems to have resolved itself for me. Deadly Chakram, have you filed a ticket for it? smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
Is anyone else still having this issue? I was having it earlier, but it seems to have resolved itself for me. Deadly Chakram, have you filed a ticket for it? smile

Sara
Somehow I got logged off the internet (kids, I'm suspecting, but it might have been my hubby). So, I just had to log back onto the boards. I clicked the box, even though with my cookies erased every time I restart my cookies, I still have to log in every time, but I had no problem.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Sara

I did now, and am hoping that I did it correctly.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Sara

I did now, and am hoping that I did it correctly.

And of course, now the thing works when I try to log in. Still doesn't seem to be keeping me logged in if I quit IE though.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh dear. I guess that means I'll be doing 4-6 part FDKs in a certain long-posts soap opera from now on. (20-30 graemlins on a usual day and somewhere around 40 quotes. Or 60? Dunno... Virginia, do you remember?)

Wendy, please, say that at least the quick post blocker is gone. On the olden boards you had to wait a minute between posts.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
No, the quick post blocker is not gone. It's in place for a reason because if you flood the boards with too many requests at one time you can bring the whole system down and I will not allow that to happen.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Oh dear. I guess that means I'll be doing 4-6 part FDKs in a certain long-posts soap opera from now on. (20-30 graemlins on a usual day and somewhere around 40 quotes. Or 60? Dunno... Virginia, do you remember?)
Sounds about right, Michael. smile The more the merrier, I say. But I can see why it would drive the admins crazy.

Also, strange thing happened just now. The quick reply box at the bottom of the topic had disappeared. Is it gone for good? Because I liked being able to scroll up and read the previous replies for quotes and stuff.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Virginia,

The quick reply box had disappeared for me for a few minutes last night and then reappeared. It seems to have disappeared for me again just now, though. huh

- Lynn

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally Posted by ColleenMA
I found in my posts, and I've seen in some others, that the old posts with text inside the < > read it as HTML and anything in there disappears.

I noticed the same thing when I was reading an old story. It took me a few minutes to realize that the story wasn't just poorly written to make me feel like I was missing something - I was actually missing thought-dialog.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[*]QUOTE block needs to be wider. Maybe size it in relation to the page width? It now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote. FYI, Annette will of course have the final word, but I think it may not be possible to do anything about this.
To our admins in charge of the styles. I know you're out there, since the visited links color has changed smile

All that's needed is to remove the width-attribute from the following css-classes
ubbcode-block
ubbcode-header
ubbcode-body
I just did that in the Firefox inplace css editor. So, it *should* work on the live version, too, but it's never a 100% guarantee, only 98% wink

And maybe some tweaking of how much margin there is between the outer and the inner quote smile

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Virginia,

That probably works in the TOC forum due to very few replies. I posted a reply to one of your posts in a different thread which covered a technique that trial and error (the dynamic duo) found.

I decided to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark. The reason mostly was to check techniques against volume because this baby has some volume.

The search string trial and error had the most success with was

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

+"Wrong Clark (" looks to include any posts with the text in quotes
-"FDK - Wrong Clark" looks to exclude FDK posts
-"Re: Wrong Clark" looks to exclude replies to original story posts (infrequent but they do happen)

Hopefully this might be of some help to others.

Mike

It appears that the blacklist (and possibly the whitelist, too) require the individual words to be a certain minimum length, even when used in phrases. So, if you where to just say -"RE: FDK: The", it would not exclude FDK posts, because FDK is too short a word to be recognized by the search. It still counts when used with more, longer words within the phrase, though.

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
Originally Posted by ColleenMA
I found in my posts, and I've seen in some others, that the old posts with text inside the < > read it as HTML and anything in there disappears.

I noticed the same thing when I was reading an old story. It took me a few minutes to realize that the story wasn't just poorly written to make me feel like I was missing something - I was actually missing thought-dialog.

I filed a ticket for this.

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Wendy!
I've talked with Annette about this. Bottom line, data that's missing is missing, unfortunately. There isn't anything we can do to make it reappear frown However, at some point we may be able to make a read-only version of the old boards available, so you can copy and paste stuff over.

I'm so looking forward to get the read-only (please with enabled edit-button, so we can get at the UBB markup of the post) accessible. This will help a lot in restoring certain FDK posts smile

I also asked about the quote limit. Quotes do take up additional space in the database, so the higher the quote limit the more space an individual post takes - which slows things down as well. Our suggestion is that if you really feel the need to quote more text then make a second comment post goofy
Thanks Wendy. Ummm, since I'm a tech-minded person and I know this is something Annette will need to answer when she pops in again, but isn't the post stored as UBB code in the database, meaning there's just the open and close-quote in there? Or is the UBB-software taking those posts apart and storing the quotes separately. I'm asking because the quote limit might discourage some posters from doing long FDKs. I for my part, am hoping that I'll just modify my posting behavior to write a bit of FDK with up to 10 quotes, post it, and continue with the next bit FDK. That way, I get around the quote limit and the spam-protection, but it will slightly increase the number of posts I'm doing (by a factor of 3-6, I'm guessing), send more e-mails to the authors, etc. So, naive thought: A low quote-limit might actually increase the load because it will generate longer (more posts) threads, send out more e-mails, etc.

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Virginia,

The quick reply box had disappeared for me for a few minutes last night and then reappeared. It seems to have disappeared for me again just now, though. huh

- Lynn
/starts petition for bringing back quick-reply/

I've also filed an issue/request for switching ": o" back to embarrassed/blusing instead of shocked. blush blush

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wahoo! The boards are keeping me logged in now!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You mean the Boards kidnap you, drag you to your computer and make you read them now? Wow! What a feature! peep

Interesting thing about the 60 second time-out rule, it wouldn't let me OPEN a reply window within 60 seconds of posting a previous post. It used to be that it wouldn't let me SUBMIT a posting within 60 seconds posting a reply.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/29/14 04:15 PM.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
You mean the Boards kidnap you, drag you to your computer and make you read them now? Wow! What a feature! peep

Interesting thing about the 60 second time-out rule, it wouldn't let me OPEN a reply window within 60 seconds of posting a previous post. It used to be that it wouldn't let me SUBMIT a posting within 60 seconds posting a reply.

I wish! But the MS Word fairy DOES have me writing! (Which is why I haven't been reading at night in the 3 hours between the kids going to bed and me going to bed.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yup! That was it, Michael. thumbsup

And as a reward you now have your ": o" blush shortcut back. clap

Elena wink

Originally Posted by Darth Michael
[*]QUOTE block needs to be wider. Maybe size it in relation to the page width? It now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote. FYI, Annette will of course have the final word, but I think it may not be possible to do anything about this.
To our admins in charge of the styles. I know you're out there, since the visited links color has changed smile

All that's needed is to remove the width-attribute from the following css-classes
ubbcode-block
ubbcode-header
ubbcode-body
I just did that in the Firefox inplace css editor. So, it *should* work on the live version, too, but it's never a 100% guarantee, only 98% wink

And maybe some tweaking of how much margin there is between the outer and the inner quote smile

wave Michael

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard