Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Thank you. hyper

You're welcome. wink

Elena

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
BINGO!!! And the star of the day is LadyLoisette!

I checked the control panel in response to this comment - and lo and behold, the default setting was 4 quotes per post. I've upped it to 10 - now, we may have to keep an eye on this to see whether it causes any issues, not that I know why it should.

Please can members who noticed truncated posts go and check to see whether there's any difference now.

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by Lady Loisette
My story post is a little longer than 9000 words and it is all intact. It may be a quote related issue. Another forum I'm a member of only allows so many quotes per post.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hmm. I've just been through the control panel looking for a global control to turn off HTML code, but can't find one - yet it should exist, as we had HTML off and UBB on with the previous boards. If this is still a problem, suggest you submit a ticket requesting that HTML be turned off.

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by ColleenMA
Hmm, maybe we need a thread for "How to clean up old posts" stuff? As opposed to a bug that needs a ticket?

I found in my posts, and I've seen in some others, that the old posts with text inside the < > read it as HTML and anything in there disappears. However, all it took with my posts was to go into the edit mode, and save "changes" that aren't really changes - I think it just reads it as text after that instead of code.

It's mostly an issue where someone chose to use the <> mode for thoughts, telepathy, or other versions of dialogue.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wendy,

One of the FAQ answers is:
There are 2 ways that this can be configured on a per-forum basis. If HTML is On then you will see HTML is On and you can use normal HTML in your posts. If UBBCode is on you will see UBBCode is On.

Does that help you narrow down where to look to make the change?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just noticed the colour-coding is back on links. Yay! party

Thank you. hyper

Joy,
Lynn
I'm going to join in on Lynn's party This is soooooooo helpful! clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lynn, what do you see? Or better yet, can you switch from "UBBCode" to "HTML"?

Wendy, the default is "UBBCode" for all users except Admins and Moderators. The reason Colleen was able to "save those changes" is probably just a result of being able to use only UBBCode.

Elena

Wendy,

There are 2 ways that this can be configured on a per-forum basis. If HTML is On then you will see HTML is On and you can use normal HTML in your posts. If UBBCode is on you will see UBBCode is On.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Wendymr

I checked the control panel in response to this comment - and lo and behold, the default setting was 4 quotes per post. I've upped it to 10 - now, we may have to keep an eye on this to see whether it causes any issues, not that I know why it should.

Please can members who noticed truncated posts go and check to see whether there's any difference now.

Wendy smile
Sadly, no. Wendy. Michael's truncated FDK from Part 168 of Wrong Clark looks the same. frown Also, does this mean a limit to 10 quotes per FDK thread? Long winded, rambling FDKers want to know.

Going back to another issue. While perusing the boards a minute ago on my iPhone (where I'm not logged in), I noticed Colleen had posted a response to our FDK. hyper I went to check it out only to get a "DENIAL, please register" notification. It seems the Gfic "Superman in Other Canon FanFic" forum is acting like a Nfic forum and not letting people in who aren't registered. Do you want me to ticket this?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by Elena
Lynn, what do you see? Or better yet, can you switch from "UBBCode" to "HTML"?

Wendy, the default is "UBBCode" for all users except Admins and Moderators. The reason Colleen was able to "save those changes" is probably just a result of being able to use only UBBCode.

Elena

Wendy,

Joy,
Lynn

When I look at the post that I had cited in my earlier quote, I can see what I had hoped everyone would see, namely angle brackets around the phrase "In best Perry imitation voice".

When I add a reply to a thread in the Fanworks Auction folder, I see "HTML is disabled UBBCode is enabled".

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nah, that's okay, Virginia. Already fixed. smile

Elena devil (for old times' sake)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
When I look at the post that I had cited in my earlier quote, I can see what I had hoped everyone would see, namely angle brackets around the phrase "In best Perry imitation voice".

When I add a reply to a thread in the Fanworks Auction folder, I see "HTML is disabled UBBCode is enabled".

Joy,
Lynn

Excellent!

Elena

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hmm. I wonder whether it's that it won't fix in retrospect? On that, I know that Annette plans to make a read-only copy of the old boards available, so that - though it would be time-consuming - would be a way to fix those posts.

Re. 10 quotes, I don't know whether more quotes consumes more resources, which is why I'm reluctant to increase it further - seriously, though, is 10 not enough? goofy

I have no idea why guests weren't able to read topics in that forum, as it was definitely set to allow guests to read. I tested it and got exactly the same problem as your friend reported. However, I saved the required option (allowing guests to read) again, and this time it seems to have done the trick - at least, it worked for me on my non-logged-in browser. So no need to submit a ticket.

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by VirginiaR

Wendy smile
Sadly, no. Wendy. Michael's truncated FDK from Part 168 of Wrong Clark looks the same. frown Also, does this mean a limit to 10 quotes per FDK thread? Long winded, rambling FDKers want to know.

Going back to another issue. While perusing the boards a minute ago on my iPhone (where I'm not logged in), I noticed Colleen had posted a response to our FDK. hyper I went to check it out only to get a "DENIAL, please register" notification. It seems the Gfic "Superman in Other Canon FanFic" forum is acting like a Nfic forum and not letting people in who aren't registered. Do you want me to ticket this?

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Re. 10 quotes, I don't know whether more quotes consumes more resources, which is why I'm reluctant to increase it further - seriously, though, is 10 not enough? goofy
I guess it's been a while since you've received some Darth Michael FDK. wink Is there a Greamlin limit on the new boards as well? It was set to 15 on the old boards, last we noticed.

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just happened to leave FDK for Anti-K's latest story with 11 quotes smile...right before the limit of 10 was installed.

Anyway...I'm still having the same issues with my old posts. Some seem fine, some are missing things, and some are shrunken down to not much of anything. The ones that are missing things--the stuff that is missing doesn't follow a certain pattern or anything--some things gone at the beginning of the post, others have the posts shortened so only the last half of a response is there...and it's not just certain quoted areas taken out of the posts. It's essentially a whole section of a post--the beginning/the middle/or the end--with the quotes and my FDK.

The strangest one is in the most current FDK thread to "The Wedding"--I know that I only posted maybe (at most one or two) quotes in that particular FDK. It was more of a discussion and I had typed up multiple paragraphs...Now, since the update, that FDK only shows the first line or two of the first paragraph and nothing else. So this example--at least--isn't b/c of too many quotes.

I did tell LabRat about it this morning and she put a ticket in for my acct.

Hmmm...

Thanks for all the effort everyone--really appreciate it smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 04/28/14 07:47 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I've talked with Annette about this. Bottom line, data that's missing is missing, unfortunately. There isn't anything we can do to make it reappear frown However, at some point we may be able to make a read-only version of the old boards available, so you can copy and paste stuff over.

I also asked about the quote limit. Quotes do take up additional space in the database, so the higher the quote limit the more space an individual post takes - which slows things down as well. Our suggestion is that if you really feel the need to quote more text then make a second comment post goofy

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by LMA
I just happened to leave FDK for Anti-K's latest story with 11 quotes smile...right before the limit of 10 was installed.

Anyway...I'm still having the same issues with my old posts. Some seem fine, some are missing things, and some are shrunken down to not much of anything. The ones that are missing things--the stuff that is missing doesn't follow a certain pattern or anything--some things gone at the beginning of the post, others have the posts shortened so only the last half of a response is there...and it's not just certain quoted areas taken out of the posts. It's essentially a whole section of a post--the beginning/the middle/or the end--with the quotes and my FDK.

The strangest one is in the most current FDK thread to "The Wedding"--I know that I only posted maybe (at most one or two) quotes in that particular FDK. It was more of a discussion and I had typed up multiple paragraphs...Now, since the update, that FDK only shows the first line or two of the first paragraph and nothing else. So this example--at least--isn't b/c of too many quotes.

I did tell LabRat about it this morning and she put a ticket in for my acct.

Hmmm...

Thanks for all the effort everyone--really appreciate it smile
Laura

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
10 quotes it is, and 10 quotes it will stay. Space/bandwidth issues, potentially.

Graemlins: I haven't seen where that limit is on the control panel, though I know it has to be somewhere. However, have you tested it?

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I guess it's been a while since you've received some Darth Michael FDK. wink Is there a Greamlin limit on the new boards as well? It was set to 15 on the old boards, last we noticed.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Consider this a test of the graemlin limit.
Five graemlins per line. Ten lines of graemlins. Let's see what happens:

1) angel-devil wildguy twins sloppy shock
2) sad rotflol notworthy mecry laugh
3) huh evil dizzy jump party
4) devilsplat splat thud spider grovel
5) jawdrop peep razz blush grin
6) angel-devil wildguy twins sloppy shock
7) sad rotflol notworthy mecry laugh
8) huh evil dizzy jump party
9) devilsplat splat thud spider grovel
10) jawdrop peep razz blush grin

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Fifty graemlins come through just fine. smile (Now 52, including the smily and winky on this line. wink )

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
...WHOA :jawdrop

...yeah. That will be changed. In the meantime, I'd recommend not going overboard on graemlins in posts, because once the limit is set (most likely 15), your excess graemlins will disappear. lol

Wendy smile

Last edited by Wendymr; 04/28/14 09:06 PM.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Do we have an option to add any graemlins? I have a few (some from other-fandom forums) that I'd love to have here so I don't have to impact the images limit.

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
New graemlins have to be imported and coded. Maybe you could ask Annette if there's space in the allotment to add others, but I'd strongly recommend waiting at least a few weeks - she has a lot on her plate right now because of all the issues she's working on fixing.

Wendy smile

Originally Posted by Kismatt
Do we have an option to add any graemlins? I have a few (some from other-fandom forums) that I'd love to have here so I don't have to impact the images limit.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard