Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I tried refreshing my page in my non-logged-in browser, but I still can't see any of the previously hidden forums. huh

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Mike, you can look for older posts/stories if you clear out the "Newer than" drop down lists. (Click the down arrow and choose the first (blank) option for each list.) My thanks to Michael for pointing that one out.

Joy,
Lynn

I am sorry, did not see Michael's post on the subject and believed the statement in the search where it stated "Maximum Date Range is one year". I am glad that works and thanks.

Anyone know how to get the search to return only the original posts not all the replies. 1. The replies are just the original post name with a RE: in front so they don't tell you anything and 2. You have to scroll many pages to get all of the original posts.

On the other hand the performance seems much better.

Thanks
Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I tried refreshing my page in my non-logged-in browser, but I still can't see any of the previously hidden forums. huh

Joy,
Lynn
Me, too, Lynn. Wendy, should I add a ticket for this?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by Mike M
Anyone know how to get the search to return only the original posts not all the replies.

I can see two possible solutions:
1) Include the original poster's name in the Display Name Search field.
2) Search only subject lines and add -Re: to your search terms. (Note the Advanced Search Tips hints link beside the Keyword Search Terms field for added hints.)

Joy,
Lynn

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ah! There were two separate permissions - one to view topics, the other to view the forum itself. All have now been reset, and I tests in a non-logged-in browser and could see all the forums.

Wendy smile

Joy,
Lynn

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

EDIT: Okay, my original post coincided with Wendy.

Wendy, here's the list of nFic forums visible from a not-logged in browser:

Lois and Clark nFanfic
Lois and Clark nFanfic TOCs
Superman In Other Canon nFanfic
Superman In Other Canon nFanfic TOCs

You can still see all the posted topics and the members who started them and who replied last. There should be a setting to hide the forum's threads. And then only the last thread remains publicly visible. Or you hide the entire forum...

wave Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 04/27/14 04:57 PM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Michael, see my post above yours: I've just fixed this issue and tested it.

Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Wendy, here's the list of forums visible from a not-logged in browser:

Lois and Clark Fanfic (topics, member, and content)
Lois and Clark nFanfic (topics, member)
Fanfic Challenge (topics, member, and content)
Original Fiction (topics, member, and content)
Fanfic Related (topics, member, and content)
Lois and Clark Fanfic TOCs (topics, member, and content)
Lois and Clark nFanfic TOCs (only the current topic and member in the main page)
Superman In Other Canon nFanfic (topics, member)
Superman In Other Canon nFanfic TOCs (topics, member)

I think the permissions need some more tweaking.

wave Michael

Just a fly-by! *waves*
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Wendy. I can confirm that now I, too, can see all of the fora even when I am not logged in.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Wendy, yeah we coincided, still, the permissions for nFic are a bit looser than before:

Lois and Clark nFanfic

You can still see all the posted topics and the members who started them and who replied last. There should be a setting to hide the forum's threads. And then only the last thread remains publicly visible. Or you hide the entire forum...

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, and fixed!

Hi Wendy, yeah we coincided, still, the permissions for nFic are a bit looser than before:

Lois and Clark nFanfic

wave Michael

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Anyone know how to get the search to return only the original posts not all the replies.

2) Search only subject lines and add -Re: to your search terms. (Note the Advanced Search Tips hints link beside the Keyword Search Terms field for added hints.)

Joy,
Lynn
I did a search for my stories removing all the "search within" parameters and was able to get a list of my story TOCs (I searched only in the FanFic TOC Forum). It did require a little trial and error because I couldn't remember Lynn's exact wording. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank you, Wendy. I can confirm that now I, too, can see all of the fora even when I am not logged in.

Joy,
Lynn
peep Nope. Sadly, now non-registered visitors don't see ANY "Superman in Other Canon" Forums (and related TOCs) as they've now disappeared. The "Lois and Clark Nfic" Forum is gone from non-registered people's sights as well, but the "Lois and Clark Nfic TOC" is still there.

VirginiaR.
---
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Whoops! Not sure how that happened, but try refreshing now and you should find that they're visible.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR

Joy,
Lynn
peep Nope. Sadly, now non-registered visitors don't see ANY "Superman in Other Canon" Forums (and related TOCs) as they've now disappeared. The "Lois and Clark Nfic" Forum is gone from non-registered people's sights as well, but the "Lois and Clark Nfic TOC" is still there.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sweet, now the permissions check out.

New Challenge: How do we advertise the nFic boards now? Or are they still visible to registered users who don't have nFic access yet?

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Wendymr
Whoops! Not sure how that happened, but try refreshing now and you should find that they're visible.
Okay, so now the non-registered user will be able to see all the forums, except the Nfic Forums, which are visible only to us registered members. thumbsup Looks good!

VirginiaR.
---
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, registered users can see the nfic area, but cannot access it.

Sweet, now the permissions check out.

New Challenge: How do we advertise the nFic boards now? Or are they still visible to registered users who don't have nFic access yet?

wave Michael

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR

Joy,
Lynn
I did a search for my stories removing all the "search within" parameters and was able to get a list of my story TOCs (I searched only in the FanFic TOC Forum). It did require a little trial and error because I couldn't remember Lynn's exact wording. laugh

Tried Lynn's idea (-Re:) and got no difference frown.

Virginia,

Not sure I understand removing "search within" parameters. Do you mean Subject, Body, Body and Subject or the forums list or something else entirely different smile

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Virginia,

Not sure I understand removing "search within" parameters. Do you mean Subject, Body, Body and Subject or the forums list or something else entirely different smile

Mike
* Click "Search" button.
* In the "Search Screen" highlight (in blue, off to the left of the screen) the "Lois and Clark FanFic" Forum (if looking there, or TOC if you want the TOC).
* Type "Wrong Clark" without quotes, with spaces, no "+" signs (or whatever story name you're searching for).
* Click the button "in subject".
* In "Display Name" type "VirginiaR" (or whatever author you're searching for)
* Under "Date Range", erase the "1" and "Week(s)" (by scrolling up the drop-down menu) so that NO dates parameters are given -- FYI: This was the "search within" I was referring to earlier. I must have forgotten to type "date" blush
* Press "Submit" button

Hope that helps in your searching of stories. It sure will help me on fixing my broken links. jump

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/27/14 07:55 PM.

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia,

That probably works in the TOC forum due to very few replies. I posted a reply to one of your posts in a different thread which covered a technique that trial and error (the dynamic duo) found.

I decided to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark. The reason mostly was to check techniques against volume because this baby has some volume.

The search string trial and error had the most success with was

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

+"Wrong Clark (" looks to include any posts with the text in quotes
-"FDK - Wrong Clark" looks to exclude FDK posts
-"Re: Wrong Clark" looks to exclude replies to original story posts (infrequent but they do happen)

Hopefully this might be of some help to others.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
FYI: When I got a copy of my "Ticket" it came with the title: "Nfic Forum Request".

VirginiaR.
---
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard