Next Thread
Print Thread
#252616 02/23/14 12:41 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Lois is getting her own one-shot in the new52 finally. From the preview, I think I'm going to like it. Superman: Lois Lane #1 Previw on IGN

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#252617 02/23/14 05:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First they split Superman and Lois, then they launch a title called Superman: Lois Lane. But Lois is still with that nobody Jonathon. What is the point? grumble

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#252618 02/23/14 06:14 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
First they split Superman and Lois, then they launch a title called [b]Superman: Lois Lane. But Lois is still with that nobody Jonathon. What is the point? grumble [/b]
Are you saying that Lois Lane is nobody without Clark Kent or Superman? That she isn't super in her own right? wink (I know that's not what you're saying, just thought I'd point it out though). It would be good to have some super journalists still left in the world doing some good for us little fellows, even if apparently they only fight monsters (per the cover Christina posted).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#252619 02/23/14 06:19 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
First they split Superman and Lois, then they launch a title called [b]Superman: Lois Lane. But Lois is still with that nobody Jonathon. What is the point? grumble [/b]
The only thing about that pessimism is they're seriously talking about how this may make or break whether Lois gets her own comic. I am intrigued by some of the things they've said about this and worried about others. On the "Clark/Lois relationship" thread over on CBR I mentioned that I was a little worried about a tweet from the author saying that she'd be following her heart. I'm hoping and praying that they're actually talking about her family and Superman and NOT Jonathan but I'm skeptical that they aren't. With that said, I have plans on buying the comic. It won't be the first comic I have in my collection where Lois is involved with someone other than Clark (but they're thankfully few and far between). I'm just looking forward to a "take no prisoners" kind of Lois. That's the primary reason I'm going for it.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
#252620 02/24/14 03:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Are you saying that Lois Lane is nobody without Clark Kent or Superman?
No, I just find it a mess. They split Lois and Superman. Then they turned Lois into a support (out-of)character. Now, to appease the fans that complained about her lack of purpose in this damned reboot, they give Lois her own comic, but the title is Superman: Lois Lane. Why? If they aren't together and this is her comic, why put Superman before? As Lois said, the first name in the byline is the most important. It seems they think nobody would recognize Lois Lane if there wasn't Superman in the title. mad And I know, most of all I'm frustrated and angry because it makes me mad seeing Lois stuck with a filling made-up character that means nothing and will fade into oblivion as soon as this new 52 burns down.
/rant off. splat

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#252621 02/24/14 04:40 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
No, I just find it a mess. They split Lois and Superman. Then they turned Lois into a support (out-of)character. Now, to appease the fans that complained about her lack of purpose in this damned reboot, they give Lois her own comic, but the title is [b] Superman: Lois Lane. Why? If they aren't together and this is her comic, why put Superman before? As Lois said, the first name in the byline is the most important. It seems they think nobody would recognize Lois Lane if there wasn't Superman in the title. mad And I know, most of all I'm frustrated and angry because it makes me mad seeing Lois stuck with a filling made-up character that means nothing and will fade into oblivion as soon as this new 52 burns down.
/rant off. splat

Andreia [/b]
Well, I do happen to understand why it seemed to make logical sense to give her a producer role, but I think they realized pretty quick that it didn't make sense to her character and then had to go back to reporting (at least part time). I think you're not the first person to comment on that fact that I've seen. I'm sure their logic is not "Superman's platonic gal pal: Lois Lane" but simply that this is supposed to be under the Superman family of books generally. It did sound like this one might well lead into a May event that Lois is mentioned in great detail (in at least one of the related books) so I'm hoping that this is simply their springboard to that storyline.

*edit to add:* I can't blame you about your frustration about Jonathan. He doesn't come across as much a "Dan Scardino" as a "Richard White" (meaning an all-around good guy as much as a rebel with a heart of gold) kind of character. It's weird, their written so that they don't offend the sensibilities of fans of the main character in the pairing (A "what does she see in him? kind of response) but all it does is further offend (this time directed at the authors/directors of that story.) In the end, I've yet to see a story work where Lois is involved with someone else long term (in a TRULY serious capacity-I suspect there were few people that believed Lois would definitely marry Luthor when it was first on the air.) I'm once again hoping and praying that the "following her heart" comment from Marguerite Bennett is about Lois/Superman and not Lois/Jonathan but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm just hoping for a logical follow-through on her characterization (FTR, I LIKED her in Superman #1-6 of the reboot, I just wished they'd kept the hints going a little longer before dashing my hopes like they did.)

#252622 02/24/14 05:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just out of curiosity, since I don't recall ever reading one, but did the old Lois Lane comics ever have a Clark-free or Superman-free issue? Perhaps, though they're calling this a "Lois Lane: One Shot", another reason that it's called "Superman: Lois Lane" comic, it's actually a Lois & Superman story with a Lois POV or focus. I tend to agree with Christina though. They are putting it in the Superman line of comics which is why his name is mentioned.

Also, I read recently a mention of an OLD 52 (or, technically, "52", 'old' is my designation to differentiate it from the 'new'), which makes me feel that this "New 52" is supposedly a revamp. Does anyone recall anything in particular about that 'old 52'?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#252623 02/24/14 06:48 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Just out of curiosity, since I don't recall ever reading one, but did the old Lois Lane comics ever have a Clark-free or Superman-free issue?
Besides the New Krypton arc that preceded Grounded and the reboot? The comic leading into the Wedding Album showcases Lois as an international correspondent (in an attempt to get her head on straight in the time following giving his ring back). It does end up indirectly have Superman in it. She accidentally meets a man who Clark saved before he became Superman and befriended him. It's what makes Lois decide to go back to Metropolis. Let me look for it and I'll give you the comic name and number (it's worth a read for people looking for potential inspiration for the LnC Clark's travels).

There are plenty of stories of Lois Lane: Girl Reporter (written by S&S themselves) that I don't remember Clark showing up for more than a panel (at least one of these stories is in the "Lois Lane: A Celebration of 75 Years book). There's also a one-shot comic called "Girlfrienzy" published back in the 90s where Superman/Clark only shows up for the first couple of pages (he was stopping by to make sure she didn't need and "back-up" (she tells him, "I appreciate the offer but no.") That one was also in "Lois Lane: A Celebration of 75 years. Beyond those I don't know of others off the top of my head.

Edit to Add: I did remember one other comic where Superman didn't have a proactive (or even passive role.) In the Flashpoint comic "Lois Lane and the resistance" I think we only see Superman/Kal in once comic that that's it. The only comic that I know of where he doesn't have a role to save her and it's essentially an elseworld.

#252624 02/24/14 06:59 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Virginia, 52 was a year-long weekly comic back in 2006 that has nothing to do with the New 52. It's just an unfortunate coincidence in the name. The New 52 is a 2011 reboot of DC continuity, where they retooled their lineup so that they have 52 titles and restarted all of them with issue #1.

For some reason, the board won't let me post a link with parentheses in it, so copy and paste and take out the space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_ (comics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_52

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#252625 02/24/14 12:38 PM
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I haven't been buying the new 52 Superman titles, but I plan on keeping an eye out for this one. My recent comic purchases have mostly been limited to the "Smallville" comics and a little bit of "Catwoman" and "Justice League," but I'm very excited about this one-shot. If it leads into an ongoing series, I'll be happy to add it to my list of comics to pick up each month.

#252626 02/24/14 10:58 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
I haven't been buying the new 52 Superman titles, but I plan on keeping an eye out for this one. My recent comic purchases have mostly been limited to the "Smallville" comics and a little bit of "Catwoman" and "Justice League," but I'm very excited about this one-shot. If it leads into an ongoing series, I'll be happy to add it to my list of comics to pick up each month.
You might also want to keep an eye out for Batman/Superman #11 and the "Futures' End" event (yes, grammar IS correct here). Apparently it and Futures' End #2 mention her in the solicits so it's likely that she plays a relatively important role in both.

#252627 02/25/14 12:47 PM
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Originally posted by Christina:
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
[b] I haven't been buying the new 52 Superman titles, but I plan on keeping an eye out for this one. My recent comic purchases have mostly been limited to the "Smallville" comics and a little bit of "Catwoman" and "Justice League," but I'm very excited about this one-shot. If it leads into an ongoing series, I'll be happy to add it to my list of comics to pick up each month.
You might also want to keep an eye out for Batman/Superman #11 and the "Future's End" event (yes, grammar IS correct here). Apparently it and Futures' End #2 mention her in the solicits so it's likely that she plays a relatively important role in both. [/b]
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to keep an eye out for those.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard