Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Here is a poll on which comic book couple people want back to being married in the comics. Superman and Lois are in a very close second behind Spiderman and Mary Jane. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=181

John Pack Lambert
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I voted. The fact that Lois and Clark are not a couple in the current comics is the biggest factor that has led to me not buying most of the current Superman titles. I have over the past year begun to buy comics regularly for the first time in my life, but as far Superman is concerned, I've been sticking to the "Smallville" comics and some collected editions of older Superman comics. That may change at some point, but I'll admit that if I were to hear that Lois and Clark were dating in the current comics, I'd probably immediately start buying up what I've missed so far.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's hard to believe that Superman and Lois Lane are behind Spidy and MJ.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
It's hard to believe that Superman and Lois Lane are behind Spidy and MJ.
It must have to do with the order on the list. Spiderman and Mary Jane are the first well known couple on the list. You have to scroll until the last ones to find Superman and Lois Lane. grumble Oh, I've voted too. If just DC would listen to fans... wallbash

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
I suspect this may come down to the favorite Marvel couple and the favorite DC couple.

Look at these two compared to ALL the other couples on the list. Even though Spidy & MJ are a little ahead, what I get is that there is one couple for each franchise that the fans want back together.

Bob

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
The order the couples were presented in was different for me than for you, Ultra Woman. I suspect they might randomize the order. That would give the poll a little more credence -- although, frankly, since there doesn't seem to be any way to ensure that no one votes multiple times, the results of the poll should be taken with a mountain of salt. Despite that, I did vote for our favourite couple.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
What boggles me is that 18 people have voted for the Atom and Jean Loring - in comics continuity she murdered someone as part of an insane plot to get her husband's attention, was taken over by Eclipso and tried to kill various other people, died, came back as an evil Black Lantern, and was killed again. I really don't see much of a future for that marriage...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
since there doesn't seem to be any way to ensure that no one votes multiple times, the results of the poll should be taken with a mountain of salt.
When I went away from that page and hit it again it gave me the results, not the voting page. That's probably just a cookie, but it ought to deter some multiple votes.

Marcus L. Rowland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
When I went away from that page and hit it again it gave me the results, not the voting page.
Same here.
That's probably just a cookie, but it ought to deter some multiple votes.
I, too, had figured it was a cookie. But the only people that would deter are those who aren't persistent enough to really want to vote multiple times anyway and those who are not computer literate enough to realize that one need simply to switch browsers or computers to vote again. (Out of curiosity, I did just revisit the site using a different browser, and I was presented with the voting page. Of course, I did not abuse the system by voting again.)

But I do take your point -- I'll downgrade my mountain of salt to a large hill of salt. wink

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
When I went away from that page and hit it again it gave me the results, not the voting page.
Same here.
That's probably just a cookie, but it ought to deter some multiple votes.
I, too, had figured it was a cookie. But the only people that would deter are those who aren't persistent enough to really want to vote multiple times anyway and those who are not computer literate enough to realize that one need simply to switch browsers or computers to vote again. (Out of curiosity, I did just revisit the site using a different browser, and I was presented with the voting page. Of course, I did not abuse the system by voting again.)

But I do take your point -- I'll downgrade my mountain of salt to a large hill of salt. wink
My computer erases all cookies whenever I turn it off, so when I just tried it, I too was giving the voting page. Perhaps our favorite couple would have gotten more votes for "Superman and Lois Lane" if they had correctly called the couple "Clark Kent and Lois Lane", because if I recall, Lois didn't MARRY Superman, but Clark. wink But I guess that's a detail only us super fans would nitpick about.

I don't mind them rebooting the canon back to the beginning as long as they don't seriously hook up CK or Lois with other people.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My computer erases all cookies whenever I turn it off,
Yup. That would certainly work, too. Of course, setting your computer up to do that would require (a little) more technical skill than just switching browsers or computers, but clearing one's cookies would be more efficient if one were determined to skew the election.

Joy,
Lynn

J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] It's hard to believe that Superman and Lois Lane are behind Spidy and MJ.
It must have to do with the order on the list. Spiderman and Mary Jane are the first well known couple on the list. You have to scroll until the last ones to find Superman and Lois Lane. grumble Oh, I've voted too. If just DC would listen to fans... wallbash

Andreia [/b]
Well, Lois and Clark are gaining. They are now up to 29.9, to 31.1 for Spiderman and Mary Jane.

It is not just the order of the list that is skewed. It is also that the site has a picture of Spiderman holding Mary Jane in a wedding dress at the top. The site seems to be trying to skew the results.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
I use Opera which has special "private tabs" for e.g. financial transactions, anything where you want to be sure that there is nothing left in the cache etc. As soon as you close a private tab it deletes all cookies etc., so in theory I could just keep opening that page in private tabs, vote, close them, rinse and repeat indefinitely. But life is WAY too short...

Marcus L. Rowland
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Well, Lois and Clark are now to 30.0%. Spiderman is still at 31.1%. I think they close on the 8th, so Lois and Clark might still win.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
I use Opera which has special "private tabs" for e.g. financial transactions, anything where you want to be sure that there is nothing left in the cache etc. As soon as you close a private tab it deletes all cookies etc., so in theory I could just keep opening that page in private tabs, vote, close them, rinse and repeat indefinitely. But life is WAY too short...
Well, I just tried this using an iPad browser with similar privacy features - since I don't want to cheat I put in votes for a couple of the low-scoring pairings, which won't affect the main contest. It's definitely doing this by cookies, not by IP address etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Given how Peter Parker keeps getting messed over I can see wanting something to go right for him.

J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
The race is at 30.3% for Lois and Clark to 30.9% for Spiderman and Mary Jane. I think they close it down tomorrow. The difference is 54 votes, with both having roughly 3000.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Actually, the pool closes at 12:07 pm on Saturday, October 12th. Lois and Clark are now at 3013 to 3039 for Spiderman and Mary Jane. Green Arrow and Black Canary come in 3rd at 526.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Superman and Lois are first! grumble

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
It's nice to see our favorite couple in the lead. clap

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard