Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Are there any other fans of "Justice League"/"Justice League Unlimited" here? I didn't enjoy the show quite as much as I enjoyed "Superman: The Animated Series," which is set in the same continuity as "Justice League," but overall, it is a very good show.

I guess that one of the reasons this show appeals to me so much is that my first exposure to Superman was through watching "Super Friends" reruns on Cartoon Network. However, unlike "Super Friends, which was created with children in mind as the sole audience, this show was clearly made with both adults and children in mind.

Superman was obviously a main draw for me, but I also enjoyed all of the other characters on the show. Batman and Wonder Woman are my two favorite superheroes besides Superman, so it was nice to see all three of my favorite superheroes working together episode after episode. I also liked the romance that the show created between Batman and Wonder Woman. While I'm on the subject of romance, I have to add that Green Lantern and Hawkgirl's relationship was another interesting aspect of the show to me.

The Flash was my favorite character after Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman because he was a good source of comic relief. It's hard to believe that the voice actor of the Flash, Michael Rosenbaum, also played Lex Luthor on "Smallville." The way he was able to portray both characters so well despite the polar opposites of the two of them is a tribute to his versatility as an actor.

As for Justice League Unlimited," the later incarnation of the show, I thought it was nice that some of the superheroes who otherwise weren't likely to appear in animation got a chance to shine. The one downside to that is that with such a large cast of characters, sometimes the original seven members of the cast got pushed to the sidelines a bit too frequently. I sometimes found myself missing certain characters whenever they disappeared for a long amount of time.

My biggest complaint about the show, though, is that we didn't get to see the characters in their secret identities often enough. This meant we didn't get to see Superman's supporting cast in very many episodes.

Kerth
Kerth
hyper hyper Me! MEEEEEEE!!!

I love all of the Bruce Timm cartoons. I agree that Superman and Batman animated series were the best, but JL/JLU are just awesome. I recently started going back through and watching them on Netflix but haven't had much time to get any further....

After Superman and Batman (or perhaps even tied evil Although usually, that's the Flash's job. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Yes - enjoyed them a lot. They dealt pretty well with one of the major issues of superheroes - government reaction - and the story arcs worked very well indeed.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I really like the Justice League shows as well. I've seen JLU much more than the original because we've had those DVDs for years, but we just got the Justice League ones.

I grew tired of some of the JLU episodes where they're having trouble with the government. I also can't stand "Clash", which is the one where Superman gets into a brawl with Captain Marvel. I understand that the show is intended to focus on the superheroes, not their secret identities, but the characters start to lose their humanity when they spend all their time up on the Watchtower. Superman in particular seemed to forget that he's Clark Kent, smalltown farmboy. He gets pretty full of himself. They act like they know what's best for everyone and that they can do whatever they like regardless of what anyone else wants.

When the JL isn't being overly self-righteous, it's a great show. One of my favorite episodes is "Flash and Substance". I love it when Flash goes into the bar and sits down to chat with the Trickster.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I really adored Justice League. However, once it became Justice League Unlimited, I lost interest and quit watching. The cast was just too large for my taste.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I love it when Flash goes into the bar and sits down to chat with the Trickster.
That was one of my favorite episodes. I just love everything about how Flash was portrayed in this show.

Originally posted by Tzigone:
I really adored Justice League. However, once it became Justice League Unlimited, I lost interest and quit watching. The cast was just too large for my taste.
It took me a few episodes of "Justice League Unlimited" before I got into it, and the change to a larger cast is the main reason I didn't immediately love the new incarnation of the show.

Kerth
Kerth
The original show was more intimate, certainly. The later incarnation was a bit too big, but it did showcase a lot of DC characters that have otherwise has no screen time, such as the Question, Hawk and Dove, etc. I liked episodes from both series.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
The original show was more intimate, certainly. The later incarnation was a bit too big, but it did showcase a lot of DC characters that have otherwise has no screen time, such as the Question, Hawk and Dove, etc. I liked episodes from both series.
I think the appearances of those types of characters was one of the biggest assets of "Justice League Unlimited," and for really big fans of the comics, I can see why the episodes involving those characters would be very enjoyable. In fact, as someone who is only now starting to delve into comics, I still enjoyed seeing a lot of the different characters that were showcased, and I hadn't heard of most of them before watching the show. Still, though, having them all added as members of the Justice League at once did feel a little overwhelming as a viewer at first.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard