Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just finished reading "All-Star Superman, Vol 1 & Vol 2" - by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely with Jamie Grant

I've copied my review from 50 Books thread. And I'd like to preface this by stating that I haven't yet watched the movie. (I do have it on my Netflix instant list, so maybe I'll remedy that tonight. wink )

Plot: Superman rescues scientists from dying when their spaceship is pulled into the sun. He's overexposed to the sun's super charging effects and told that his body cannot handle it and that he will die. We discover (in Vol 2) if Superman lives and dies. Kind of, sort of, not really. I hope the ending of the All Star Superman (the movie) is more clear.

Artistically, I can't say I like how the characters were drawn. Superman looked downright scary in a few parts and Clark like a clod. Jimmy appeared deformed. Cat like a plastic doll. Only Lois, Steve, Lex, and Perry looked realistic.

I can't say I liked the scientist in rainbow jacket (Quantum?), mostly because he seemed to be working for Lex Luthor at first. Superman seemed to trust him though. Superman discovers that he will have to answer an unanswerable question and do 12 Herculean-type feats before he dies, which gives him a bit of a time table for his death.

Lex was is usual egotistical, megalomaniac self. It was fun seeing Cat Grant, very superficial though, and Steve Lombarti. I also liked when he set Steve's toupee on fire after Steven lit a match under Clark's butt. laugh Jimmy is more accomplished in this series than I have seen before and, I believe, dating Lucy Lane, who seemed as superficial as Cat. There was even a quick cameo by General(?) Lane.

I would have liked to see more of Perry White though. Clark seemed to do something for Lois and for Jimmy once he found out he now had over-charged DNA due to too much exposure to the sun, but nothing for Mr. White.

Clark's clumsiness was intentional to save people, which I thought was a nice twist.

There was a funny joke about Clark revealing to Lois that he's Superman, but she not believing him because she's guessed it so many times before and been proved wrong. She also tries to kill Superman shock because she's thought he's gone insane / bad without really much proof, when he was just trying to keep her birthday gift secret.

There was an interesting bit about Green K not hurting him, and Black K turning him Bizzaro, too. It showed what a good friend Jimmy is to Superman.

I was a bit confused on why Clark went out of his way to continually save Lex Luthor in prison. Was he just trying to get Lex's confession or did he really want Lex to die in the electric chair, or did he know that Lex wouldn't die in the electric chair? Or was it that he kept promising Perry an interview and he didn't want Lex to die before it was written? At the end, it didn't sound like Clark ever turned in the article.

I found it interesting that he kept meeting future generations of supermen (his descendants) but never considered how they may have come to be. (Even telling Lois that they could never have a real family, although at the end of her birthday, it looked as if he was going to propose.) Unless, that was what he was doing when he gave Dr. Quantum samples of his DNA.

The ending wasn't very concrete and vague. Did Clark die? Or was Lois right and he lived? I hope the movie makes this more clear.

What were your thoughts?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I just finished reading "All-Star Superman, Vol 1 & Vol 2" - by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely with Jamie Grant
As you've probably already discovered, Morrison is known for his idiosyncratic story telling style. You might have to re-read the series a few times to get all the nuances. I'll try to make my comments as spoiler-free as possible, in case anyone who hasn't read the 12-comic-book (2 volume) series is intrigued enough to do so.

I can't say I liked the scientist in rainbow jacket (Quantum?), mostly because he seemed to be working for Lex Luthor at first.
There is actually an interesting hypothesis that Dr. Quintum IS Lex Luthor . I'm not sure I buy it, but it is fun to think about.

There were nods to several eras of Superman in this series. Steve Lombard was very much a Bronze Age (1970s or early 1980s) character. Jimmy was portrayed similarly to the Silver Age (1950s and 1960s) "Mr. Action" version. Cat Grant was featured in the 1980s and 1990s.

I would have liked to see more of Perry White though. Clark seemed to do something for Lois and for Jimmy once he found out he now had over-charged DNA due to too much exposure to the sun, but nothing for Mr. White.
A good point. I had the impression that Perry wasn't as important a factor in Clark's life in this 'verse as he was in the L&C-verse. He was his boss, but not necessarily his friend.

She also tries to kill Superman shock because she's thought he's gone insane / bad without really much proof, when he was just trying to keep her birthday gift secret.
I can't recall the specifics, but IIRC, she was under the influence of some sort of drug that made her paranoid.

I was a bit confused on why Clark went out of his way to continually save Lex Luthor in prison.
I had thought he was just acting from his overall ethos of all life being valuable and everyone (even Lex) being redeemable.

At the end, it didn't sound like Clark ever turned in the article.
True, but the last (ever) article that he did turn in was undoubtedly a Pulitzer in the making.

I found it interesting that he kept meeting future generations of supermen (his descendants) but never considered how they may have come to be.
I interpreted it very differently. I think he had been pondering that even when, as the unknown Superman, he gave the ambiguous answer to Lois' question. I definitely think that was one of the main reasons (possibly even the only reason) he gave Dr. Quintum the DNA samples.

Have fun watching the movie. It wasn't perfectly faithful to the comics, but I still think they did a fantastic job translating the story into a different medium.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">She also tries to kill Superman laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard