Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
A while back I had made a post about this paragraph in the opening from George Reeves' Superman TV series:
Yes, it's Superman - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman - who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights the never ending battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way.
In that post, I had commented about being surprised by the fact that it was the Clark Kent persona, rather than the Superman one, who fought for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Another thought occurred to me about that opening sequence. It says that Superman has abilities far beyond those of mortal men. I had never thought about it before, but it sure seems to me that that phrasing implies that Superman is immortal.

I wonder whether Tim Minear, who wrote the L&C episode Brutal Youth, got the idea for the plot of that episode from this passage.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
A while back I had made a post about this paragraph in the opening from George Reeves' Superman TV series:
Yes, it's Superman - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman - who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights the never ending battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way.
In that post, I had commented about being surprised by the fact that it was the Clark Kent persona, rather than the Superman one, who fought for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Another thought occurred to me about that opening sequence. It says that Superman has abilities far beyond those of mortal men. I had never thought about it before, but it sure seems to me that that phrasing implies that Superman is immortal.

I wonder whether Tim Minear, who wrote the L&C episode Brutal Youth, got the idea for the plot of that episode from this passage.

Joy,
Lynn
Actually the concept of Superman living beyond everyone he knows is also part of comic book canon as far as I'm aware. Now whether or not it predates Lois and Clark, I'm not as certain of (the earliest reference of this in comics is the elseworld story Superman 1,000,000 but that was published in 1998, which is AFTER Lois and Clark.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard