Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Some survey results that won't surprise L&C fans:

"The results of The Nielsen Company's market research for DC Comics that surveyed "New 52" readers were released at ComicsPro's Dallas meeting yesterday and well... there's not much that's brave or bold about them. ICv2 reports that 70 percent of the survey's 5,336 respondents were already fans, with only 5 percent completely new to buying comics, and 93% were male. What's more, only an estimated 2 percent were younger than 18 years old. The results are troubling, and raise serious questions about DC's ability to expand their audience base, and the accessibility of their content to both women and younger readers."

"The numbers seem particularly stark in the context of the stated goal of the new 52 to create a "more modern, diverse DC Universe" that would both reach beyond its existing fanbase."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/10/dc-comics-readers-survey-reports-new-52-readership-93-male/

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Columnist
Columnist
Maybe if they made a series geared towards younger kids, more parents would buy the comics for those kids. I tried reading batgirl year one with my six year old niece, and she really couldn't read much of it on her own because there were too many words and the comic was hard for her to follow.

.talk nerdy to me.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Maybe if they made a series geared towards younger kids, more parents would buy the comics for those kids. I tried reading batgirl year one with my six year old niece, and she really couldn't read much of it on her own because there were too many words and the comic was hard for her to follow.
Actually they do have a series of comics geared towards kids but they don't really do anywhere near the numbers of the new 52. In addition, they are not even CONSIDERED part of the new 52. They're considered something separate (the same way the Smallville Season 11 comic and the Ami-Comi Girls is.)

The Superman Family Adventures are a regular pull for me (trying to build a base of comics that I would be happy to share with my son when he's old enough.) They regularly do reviews of these on the Supermanhomepage (reviewed in conjunction with a four year old if you're curious.) I've also heard really good things about the Teen Titans one as well (even though I've never read it.)

I can't really say that I'm at all surprised about the numbers. This was something I suspected would happen when they were doing all the releases of all of the comics.

"Oh look at how sexy Catwoman is!"

"Lookit that sexy sexy alien!!" (i.e. Starfire from Red Hood and the Outlaws)

"Superman's swinging from the stars with Wonder Woman!!!" (ok, I'll firmly admit to halfway joking on this one but the Wonder Woman as Superman's girlfriend thing really steamed a lot of the female fans I know on tumblr to the point where I had to step away from it for a month until things calmed down.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The results are troubling, and raise serious questions about DC's ability to expand their audience base, and the accessibility of their content to both women and younger readers
They're probably hoping for a bounce from "Man of Steel" as "Superman" gave them in the 70s. Not that "Man of Steel" is geared towards kids...

Surveys are skewed to the people who answer them (for some reason I'm imagining the characters from "Big Bang Theory" when I write this). 5K isn't a very large or representative sample in my opinion. How and where the surveys given? If they asked people at other ComicCons, that limits significantly the number of kids who took the survey, being the majority of people who go to such events are over the age of 20. (My opinion, kids probably don't take many surveys anyway.)

On a sad note, our local comic shop is closing at the end of the year, due to the death of the man who owned it and his relatives not wanting to keep it open. sad They switched the hours of operation after his death, so it wasn't open until school let out at 3:30, which makes it unaccessable for me. I like the "Superman Family Adventures" (since I got the freebee on Free Comic Day in May), but since the switch in store hours couldn't stop by the store to buy it. My kids like the Tiny Titans. Oh, if I had won the Powerball... wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
On a sad note, our local comic shop is closing at the end of the year, due to the death of the man who owned it and his relatives not wanting to keep it open. sad They switched the hours of operation after his death, so it wasn't open until school let out at 3:30, which makes it unaccessable for me. I like the "Superman Family Adventures" (since I got the freebee on Free Comic Day in May), but since the switch in store hours couldn't stop by the store to buy it. My kids like the Tiny Titans. Oh, if I had won the Powerball... wink
I think they have them on comixology if you want to get them online (it's really good if you have a Kindle or IPad or something similar.) To be honest, I'm a hard-copy kind of person. If I had my way I'd buy two of the Superman Family Adventures books and read one with my son (he's less than a year so it might be a year before it's read) and then keep the other hidden away. Considering how few people know of it and it's target audience tends to be harder on them than traditional comic readers I suspect these are the collectable comics of the future.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mrs. Luthor and I were just talking about why the next generation (i.e. like my kids) knows everything about Marvel characters (Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, etc). and almost nothing about the DC characters. Marvel has their cartoons available for viewing on the Netflix instant list, while none of DC's (except the old Fleishman Superman cartoons) are available for viewing. <<For those of you who don't know about Netflix: it's a video rental agency, which will send you a DVD off your list in the mail for a monthly fee. They added a few years ago, a way to instantly stream some movies / tv shows on your computer, game consol, or ROKU box.>>

If DC made their old shows like SuperFriends, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman show, some of the old Batman cartoons, and the old Adam West Batman show (which Netflix doesn't even have, because they say it isn't available on DVD) widely available to this audience, then they would hook the next generation. DC needs to hook people on the characters when they're kids and having these old shows easily available would do just that. They aren't thinking ahead.

Anyway, that's my opinion to solve DCs readership problems.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part of the problem with Superman and DC comics in general expanding has been a decades long lawsuit from the heirs of Siegel and Shuster for 50% of proceeds from any Superman product. It finally got resolved. So perhaps the DC universe can expand.
Also, there is a new animated DVD called Superman: Unbound due out in the spring. Kids may relate to the animation more than a comic. Matt Bomer (White Collar) voices Supes and Stana Katic is Lois Lane and Molly Quinn is Kara. Any fans of "Castle" might really want this (like me).

By Ben Fritz

January 10, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

In a legal victory that cements the studio's ownership of Superman as it goes forward with a slate of movie about the Man of Steel, Warner Bros. has won an appeal against the daughter of the character's co-creator, Jerry Siegel.

A trio of judges with the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a lower-court ruling that had allowed Laura Siegel Larson to terminate 50% of Warner Bros.' copyright. Terminating the copyright would have deprived Warner Bros. of much of the Superman mythos and likely would have led to new negotiations over royalties -- at a higher price for the studio.

Contrary to the finding of a U.S. District Court judge, the appeals court said Larson had in 2001 accepted an agreement with Warner that allowed the entertainment giant, which owns Superman publisher DC Comics, to retain rights to the character.

As evidence, it pointed to an October 2001 letter from Larson's then-attorney accepting terms of the agreement.

"Statements from the attorneys for both paries establish that the parties had undertaken years of negotiations, that they had resolved the last outstanding point in the deal during a conversation on October 15, 2001 and that the letter accurately reflected the material terms they had orally agreed to on that day," the judges wrote in their ruling.

In October, Warner Bros. defeated the heirs of Superman's other co-creator, Joseph Shuster, in court when Shuster's heirs attempted to reclaim their half of the copyright.

Attorney Marc Toberoff, who represents the Siegel and Shuster estates, is appealing that decision. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday's ruling in the Siegel case.

"The court’s decision paves the way for the Siegels finally to receive the compensation they negotiated for and which DC has been prepared to pay for over a decade," a Warner Bros. spokesman said in a statement. "We are extremely pleased that Superman’s adventures can continue to be enjoyed across all media platforms worldwide for generations to come."

Added attorney Daniel Petrocelli from law firm O'Melveny and Meyers, which represents Warner Bros. in the Superman litigation: "We are extremely pleased and grateful that justice has prevailed.

The studio's victory against Shuster's heirs allowed it to continue using Superman and most of his supporting cast and mythos. Thursday's decision will make it more difficult for Toberoff to wrest back control in further appeals.

Warner will release the Superman movie "Man of Steel" in June. Should that movie prove successful, the studio is now in a much better position to go ahead with plans for a sequel in 2014 and a "Justice League" movie that would team Superman with other superheroes in 2015.

If either Siegel or Shuster's heirs had retained control of the copyright, Warner would have had to negotiate new, likely more costly royalty agreements with them.

In October's ruling in the Shuster case, the judge noted that DC has paid both families more than $4 million since 1975, not counting medical benefits and bonuses.

Superman has generated more than $500 million at the domestic box office with five films and billions more from television series such as "Smallville," toys, games and comic books.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Columnist
Columnist
I'd watch that simply because of Bomer. drool blush

.talk nerdy to me.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I think one of the few things that I don't care about in the DCnU is is the use (dare I say overuse) of the shared universe. It takes the interaction from super/villain with civilian interaction to super/villain with super interaction.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
I think one of the few things that I don't care about in the DCnU is is the use (dare I say overuse) of the shared universe. It takes the interaction from super/villain with civilian interaction to super/villain with super interaction.
You lost me, Christina. confused What are you trying to say here?

VirginiaR.
---
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] I think one of the few things that I don't care about in the DCnU is is the use (dare I say overuse) of the shared universe. It takes the interaction from super/villain with civilian interaction to super/villain with super interaction.
You lost me, Christina. confused What are you trying to say here? [/b]
Basically a shared universe is one where the other DC characters exist and DIRECTLY interact with the other characters on screen/page. An example of this is the Justice League comics and all these different events that go across multiple books (some of which are of no relation to one another.). This means that ALL of the action and ALL of the dramatic tension is placed on the supers interacting with each other and the villains and very little (sometimes none) of the interaction is dedicated to the impact of the villains or the superheroes interacting with the civilians (which Lois has been with a few exceptions.).

S&S never designed Superman for that and Marston never designed Wonder Woman for that. It dramatically alters their core stories to unrecognition and waters down their impact to the point of non-existence.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm with you there, MrsLuthor! He's one of my favorite actors and I love White Collar. Not to mention Magic Mike.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Basically a shared universe is one where the other DC characters exist and DIRECTLY interact with the other characters on screen/page. An example of this is the Justice League comics and all these different events that go across multiple books (some of which are of no relation to one another.).
Yeah, I don't understand that either. If you only buy Superman comics, it would be annoying to finish a story to have to buy a Batman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman comic. Forcing your customer to branch out to other comics so they get their sales up, doesn't sound like a good way to keep a customer, IMO.

This means that ALL of the action and ALL of the dramatic tension is placed on the supers interacting with each other and the villains and very little (sometimes none) of the interaction is dedicated to the impact of the villains or the superheroes interacting with the civilians (which Lois has been with a few exceptions.).
So, all the stories deal with their super persona and not with their secret identity? What would be the point? Sounds kind of boring to me. I, personally, like the whole double-speak, hiding in plain sight, not trying to give anything away, aspect to the Clark Kent / Superman character. I prefer those stories to the ones only dealing with Superman. I guess that's why I like LnC and Smallville, is because they focus on Clark Kent persona more than Superman. He's more interesting person of the two personas. Okay, I admit it. I'm not really a Superman fan. shock I'm a Clark Kent fan. <<would hang my head in shame, only I'm not ashamed in the least.>>

S&S never designed Superman for that and Marston never designed Wonder Woman for that. It dramatically alters their core stories to unrecognition and waters down their impact to the point of non-existence.
I agree with you completely, which is probably one of the aspects of the lawsuit between DC and the heirs that made it drag on so long.

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard