Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#251672 05/25/13 08:38 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm starting a new discussion over here because the movie is hitting theatres in about 3 weeks now. Some of our previous discussions have been about:

Man of Steel Trailer/Previews

Man of Steel Soundtrack

Man of Steel Premiere tickets

No Kryptonite in MoS

PG-13 for MoS / Movie Ratings discussion

If I missed any of the previous discussions please add them to the list. hyper Thanks.

I've been seeing a lot of things popping up on the internet with Spoilers (see link above about the no Kryptonite in the MoS), since the movie is getting close to release, I'm trying to avoid anything MoS related so not to taint my viewing of the new movie.

Are you one of those hungrily searching for anything MoS related? Or are you like me (sticking your fingers in your ears and humming, not wanting any more spoilers)? Or do you not care either way?

Are you excited? Hopeful? Fearful? Cringing in anticipation?

***Please do not post Spoilers in this discussion. If you've seen the movie, please go here Post-Viewing Discussion thread for Man of Steel. Spoilers will be allowed there. wink ******

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#251673 05/25/13 09:07 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I have been getting more and more excited. I'm supposed to head to Chicago to meet up with a few fellow Superman fans from across the US (well, I think mostly from the midwest this time but it's a Superman Family meetup of people I know from another forum) to see it. I did also get tickets for the night (the Walmart Premiere on Jun 13th) before figuring that my hubby wouldn't go see it if I didn't get tickets for us (plus we haven't had a date for just the two of us since before the new year.)

Also I saw a bunch of gifs of a scene from the most recent trailer over on tumblr. I won't post them out of respect for people that are trying to avoid spoilers but what I was being a nervous nelly was whether or not Lois and Superman would have any real attraction evident. The most recent trailer alleviated that worry.

Man of Steel Trailer #6

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#251674 05/25/13 09:14 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm getting excited; I just hope I'll be able to see the movie in the theatre. That will depend on whether a matinee will be airing early enough that I'll be able to watch it in time to get home to meet my son's summer school bus. (I have no respite available, so when he's not in school and I'm not at work, my son and I are a "package deal." And there's no way I could take him to a movie theatre.) I'll be seriously bummed out if I have to wait for the movie to be released to disk/streaming before I can see it.

I have eagerly been watching the trailers, but I've been avoiding reading articles about the movie in an effort to stay relatively spoiler-free.

It is nice to go into stores and to see Superman getting his due for a change.

Joy,
Lynn

#251675 05/25/13 11:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am so completely excited it's unbelievable. I eagerly lapped up everything that came out of comicon last year but once the trailers began to get 'plot' in them I stopped. It's sooooo hard to stay away when my favourite thread on K-site is constantly being filled with gifs from the latest tv spots.

AAAARGH.

Is it June yet?

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#251676 05/25/13 09:25 PM
Kerth
Kerth
smile1 .... hyper

I go back and forth.

I am excited for it, and if it's atrociously bad then I can just file it away as an alternate universe solution. But one thing has been bothering me from the trailers (or rather the lack of one thing...)--

Where's Clark Kent?

Seriously. We see kid Clark, hobo-Clark, traveling Clark, and Superman. dance

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#251677 05/26/13 05:03 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sorry, Virginia, I've nixed your links. But at least these threads are all in this forum now. wink

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#251678 05/26/13 08:49 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am way, way excited. There are all sorts of things I should be focusing on- work, school, family - and I am, but few times a day I'll randomly think "ManofSteelSQUEE!!!!", grin real big and then go back to my previously scheduled life.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#251679 05/26/13 12:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
I am way, way excited. There are all sorts of things I should be focusing on- work, school, family - and I am, but few times a day I'll randomly think "ManofSteelSQUEE!!!!", grin real big and then go back to my previously scheduled life.
rotflol

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#251680 05/28/13 05:31 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I am the type of person who was glad that they knew Lois and Clark got married in the TV show before first watching it, so I in theory would proactively seek spoilers.

However I am not really proactively seeking them, just willing to read any that other people post here.

John Pack Lambert
#251681 05/28/13 05:37 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I have to second the worry that this seems to focused on Superman, and too little on Clark, but what can we really tell from 35 second trailers?

Also, I guess they are going into the back story wuite a bit, and not the Clark at the Planet story. Still, I hope we do see some of Clark at the Daily Planet.

John Pack Lambert
#251682 05/28/13 05:59 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I have to second the worry that this seems to focused on Superman, and too little on Clark, but what can we really tell from 35 second trailers?

Also, I guess they are going into the back story wuite a bit, and not the Clark at the Planet story. Still, I hope we do see some of Clark at the Daily Planet.
From what I could tell from the last preview I saw, it looks like there are three story lines: a) Lois is following some leads given to her from the boy who witnessed Clark saving the school bus, trying to find the man who could do what Clark can do. b) CK goes from being a Kansas farmboy to a lost soul in search of meaning in his life to being Superman and probably ends with him also becoming the Clark Kent with the glasses (hopefully not the goofball one), reporter at the Daily Planet (I know that Clark exists as I saw stills months ago with him dressed like that.) and c) Zod makes an appearance, so we can have some action scenes and see Superman is a good Kryptonian and not a bad one (perhaps it is Zod's appearance which finally makes Clark decide to become Superman). Although, how he defeats Zod without Kryptonite and fancy glowing crystals (per SM-II), I haven't a clue and I hope isn't lame.

VirginiaR.
---
#251683 05/28/13 06:29 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
A lot of (formerly unseen) Lois in this clip (#10).

"Man of Steel" TV clip #10

It definitely had me going OMGSQUEE!!! When I saw it.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#251684 05/28/13 06:40 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
b) CK goes from being a Kansas farmboy to a lost soul in search of meaning in his life to being Superman and probably ends with him also becoming the Clark Kent with the glasses (hopefully not the goofball one), reporter at the Daily Planet (I know that Clark exists as I saw stills months ago with him dressed like that.)
Hey, I'm all for the origin story, so long as they don't leave Clark Kent (the *real* one) out of it all. I forgot about the stills, but I don't always trust those anyways. It could always be a promo.

I'm still super excited!! dance

--Mark Twain
#251685 05/31/13 07:40 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by John Lambert:
[b] I have to second the worry that this seems to focused on Superman, and too little on Clark, but what can we really tell from 35 second trailers?

From what I could tell from the last preview I saw, it looks like there are three story lines: a) Lois is following some leads given to her from the boy who witnessed Clark saving the school bus, trying to find the man who could do what Clark can do. b) CK goes from being a Kansas farmboy to a lost soul in search of meaning in his life to being Superman and probably ends with him also becoming the Clark Kent with the glasses (hopefully not the goofball one), reporter at the Daily Planet (I know that Clark exists as I saw stills months ago with him dressed like that.) and c) Zod makes an appearance, so we can have some action scenes and see Superman is a good Kryptonian and not a bad one (perhaps it is Zod's appearance which finally makes Clark decide to become Superman). Although, how he defeats Zod without Kryptonite and fancy glowing crystals (per SM-II), I haven't a clue and I hope isn't lame. [/b]
Somewhere early on I saw someone gripe that putting in Zod made this just a remake, but without Kryptonite it will have to be different in many respects.

How long of a movie is it anyway?

John Pack Lambert
#251686 06/01/13 06:12 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Also, the S symbol does not stand for hope. cat
That depends. Originally, it was just an S for Superman. I've seen it be the symbol for the House of El, and I've seen it be the Kryptonese word for "hope". It just depends on what the current continuity claims. I've heard that it means "hope" in the New 52, but I think that this meaning pre-dates it.

When the movie was announced, I was completely pessimistic, thinking that they're just going to foul it up again. The movie had to be made because of the status of the copyright battles between the heirs and DC at the time. (Something about the heirs being owed a lot of money for "lost income" if DC didn't make a Superman movie by a certain date.) I was seriously debating whether I'd even bother to see the movie at all. The first trailer I saw confirmed my assumption that the movie would be terrible. (Especially the line that Pa Kent said in a voice-over. I hope that's out-of-context enough that it doesn't play out the way the trailer makes it sound.) The second trailer looked like it might not be entirely awful. Each subsequent trailer I've seen has looked better, to the point that the last one I saw looked awesome.

This makes me mad! They're getting my hopes up against my wishes! I don't want to go into the theater expecting an awesome movie only to see a mediocre one or a horrible one. I'd rather expect it to be garbage and be pleasantly surprised when it's not. Or, hopefully, be ecstatic when the movie is amazing. I guess this makes me a pessimist, but I just don't want to be disappointed again with a Superman movie.

I think I'll need to go see it as soon as it comes out so I can put my speculation out of its misery. Either see a great movie that I can be fanatical about, or see a lousy movie and just get it over with.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#251687 06/03/13 08:18 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b]This makes me mad! They're getting my hopes up against my wishes! I don't want to go into the theater expecting an awesome movie only to see a mediocre one or a horrible one. I'd rather expect it to be garbage and be pleasantly surprised when it's not. Or, hopefully, be ecstatic when the movie is amazing. I guess this makes me a pessimist, but I just don't want to be disappointed again with a Superman movie.[/b]
huh

--Mark Twain
#251688 06/03/13 09:16 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
laugh That's how I always feel. Keep your expectations low and you'll either be pleasantly surprised or at the least not too disappointed. wink But then again, I AM a pessimist, so it might not be the best example...
Whew! I'm not the only one! after I posted I started wondering whether everyone would think I'm nuts for being upset that the latest trailers look good.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#251689 06/03/13 09:25 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[b] laugh That's how I always feel. Keep your expectations low and you'll either be pleasantly surprised or at the least not too disappointed. wink But then again, I AM a pessimist, so it might not be the best example...
Whew! I'm not the only one! after I posted I started wondering whether everyone would think I'm nuts for being upset that the latest trailers look good. [/b]
Don't worry. It'll never be movie of the year with Kevin Costner as Pa Kent and Russel Crowe as Jor-El. Too many known stars are sure to sink this film right off the bat. It's going to be Superman playing the Dark Knight meets Field of Dreams bashed in by a Beautiful Mind (or a Gladiator). And you know it! Moreover, Lois isn't a brunette.

Feel ready to watch the film now? wink

VirginiaR.
---
#251690 06/03/13 10:13 AM
Kerth
Kerth
[b]
[b] laugh That's how I always feel. Keep your expectations low and you'll either be pleasantly surprised or at the least not too disappointed. wink But then again, I AM a pessimist, so it might not be the best example...
Whew! I'm not the only one! after I posted I started wondering whether everyone would think I'm nuts for being upset that the latest trailers look good. [/b]
Don't worry. It'll never be movie of the year with Kevin Costner as Pa Kent and Russel Crowe as Jor-El. Too many known stars are sure to sink this film right off the bat. It's going to be Superman playing the Dark Knight meets Field of Dreams bashed in by a Beautiful Mind (or a Gladiator). And you know it! Moreover, Lois isn't a brunette.

Feel ready to watch the film now? wink [/b]
rotflol Thanks, Virginia! (Although I do agree with the concern over so many big stars-- the only exception was when I was pleasantly surprised by the Avengers.)

--Mark Twain
#251691 06/03/13 10:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol Thanks, Virginia! (Although I do agree with the concern over so many big stars-- the only exception was when I was pleasantly surprised by the Avengers.)
As you know as a film major, too many stars tend to sink a boat more than keep it afloat.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard