Next Thread
Print Thread
#251668 05/25/13 12:25 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I thought an appropriate new topic for this new forum would be "The K-Metal from Krypton." Way back in 1940, Jerry Siegel came up with an idea for a Superman story that the powers that be nixed. In it, he introduced the concept of Kryptonite (which he called "K-Metal"). He also had some interesting, game-changing plans for the characters. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the story too much, but I will say that I think most FoLCs would find it a fascinating read.

Although the story was never officially published, it has captured fan attention enough that there is a project to complete the work which Siegel and Shuster had begun. (Shuster had drawn illustrations for the story.) Fans have restored and colorized the extant work (all that remained of the illustrations was a blurred carbon copy), and have created new pages for the pages which didn't survive. This restoration is a work in progress.

You can read the K-Metal story and the story-behind-the-story at The K-Metal Project\'s web site

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Wow!

I just wasted an inordinate amount of time reading through this and, boy, do I love it! Way beats the current reboot of Superman comics, has a strong storyline, a strong, independent Lois, pre-Kryptonite-Kryptonite, and it's just classic Superman. Sigh. I really wish some people would actually read this stuff before deciding that they could simply take the name Superman and do whatever they want with it. (That's right, I'm looking at you, Bryan Singer and the team behind the New-52s!)

Thanks for posting this link, Lynn! thumbsup

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I think this points to why I like "Lois and Clark", they let the characters develop and move forward. They may have still spent too much time on the love triangle aspect. I really have to say things would have been better for Superman if DC comics had allowed this story to be published.

John Pack Lambert
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
This is an awesome story. Thanks for pointing us to that site, Lynn. I'm in awe of all the work that has gone into restoring the comic. It really makes you wonder how the Superman comics would have progressed had that story been published.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard