Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I stumbled upon a very good Samllville fanfic and I thought I would share. If somebody is interested, it's an epic (73 chapters!), involves pregnancy and Lois and Clark's relationship. Lana plays a part (of course, it's Smallville :rolleyes: ) but the story is about Lois and Clark, no Clana. laugh You don't need to understand all about Smallville (I didn't watch most of the series), the story is based on their relationship. I loved the story, couldn't stop reading. smile

Here are the teasers:

And here is the link for the story:

En Tempus Veritas

A Window to the Future by Jadarite_18
Clark rescues a woman that tells him to "save Clark" before passing out. But when she wakes up she's amnesiac and she looks a lot like Lois.

Remind Me to Forget You
This is an AU story where Lois is Oliver's sister. She and Clark have a relationship that ends badly and Lois is devastated. Years later they meet again as partners at the Daily Planet and Clark wants a second chance.

A Second Chance at Destiny by Jade4813
Lois sees a possible future, but can she really let Clark go, even if it's to prevent the end of the world? And would Clark let her? One thing's for sure: Sometimes it takes a second chance to get it right.

Tempus by Natty

A blog with several good fics: http://ascertainlife.wordpress.com/

Andreia

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, Briee is an exceptional writer and the story you recommend is especially good.

There are a lot of excellent Smallville fics out there. I started off as a SV fanfic writer, fics like the one above having given me the inspiration to write out the scenes I was playing in my own head.

Of course, now I've moved onto LnC fics.

I have noticed something about the kind of people that like one, or the other, or both shows. And I think this translates through to fanfic, and what people read/write.

There are people (like me) who are, first and foremost, a Clark/Superman fan. How much I love the relationship between Clark and Lois is second place (by only a smidgen) to how much I love the character of Clark/Superman. So ... I watch anything with Superman in it and am therefore a fan of both shows.

The people who watch LnC for the 'romance' and not because of any connection to the single character of Clark/Superman, probably won't watch Smallville.

The people who watch Smallville for the character of Superman (not Clark/Superman - just the macho superpowered hero aspect) will probably not watch LnC. Same with the teenage angst (ugh).

Because of these differences I think we also get a different kind of fanfic writing for each of the shows.

I think what I'm leading up to here is to say that we need a 'recommendations' list for the people here who would miss out on fantastic Lois and Clark stories just because it's based on Smallville (or on the Comics universe). There are plenty of stories out there that only have vague references to characters and events and could otherwise easily slip into the LnC world. Unfortunately at the moment, my brain is screaming at me to get some sleep and so I can't bring a single one to mind. ARGH!

So, hope you don't my me rambling on. Hopefully I've done it in an endearing Lois style and now Clark is 'head over heels' in love with me. laugh

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
If you remember good Smallville fanfics feel free to recommend them. I don't know if there is some Smallville archive like we have for Lois and Clark fanfic, so I don't know where to look for good fanfic. I've now started reading A Pirate Affair and I'm liking the story (I'm still in the first chapters). razz Lana was the bigger reason that I stopped watching it still in the first season because it seemed she was more important than Clark. razz razz razz Don't waste my time with them. But apart from this insufferable arc I liked the final seasons, mainly 9 and 10. I was sorry to see it end (I would like more one or two seasons with Lois and Clark together) and it was one of the reasons that I went looking for fanfic. But I didn't find very good stories until now. So far, this was the only one that I really liked. So, if you have more good stories to add, I would like to read them.

Sorry my rant. blush I never liked Lana in the comics, but Smallville made me hate her with a passion. devil I was sadistically happy when she became a kryptonite blob and couldn't come near Clark again. devilsplat

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
There are people (like me) who are, first and foremost, a Clark/Superman fan. How much I love the relationship between Clark and Lois is second place (by only a smidgen) to how much I love the character of Clark/Superman. So ... I watch anything with Superman in it and am therefore a fan of both shows.

The people who watch LnC for the 'romance' and not because of any connection to the single character of Clark/Superman, probably won't watch Smallville.
I have been a fan of L&C since the pilot aired in '93, and specifically tuned at the beginning for the romance/relationship aspect of the show. It's what immediately caught my attention when I started watching--and still is what has kept me loving the show (and the fanfic). But, through the show I have come to be a Superman fan because of how the subject directly effects the relationship between Lois and Clark. Superman's powers and secret and origin are what makes Clark who he is. And all of this is what makes up a lot of his connection to Lois...their similarities--both hiding their true selves, feeling different, how they relate to others (and to each other), trusting, etc. I guess, bottom line, what I'm trying to babble out is that you can't have Lois and Clark w/o Superman, and so I have come to love the whole love triangle smile ...

I have seen half of two different episodes of Smallville--no idea which ones they were. It wasn't that I didn't like what I saw, it's just that it wasn't L&C. I really love how Lois and Clark/Superman are portrayed, along with their relationship, in L&C--and I just couldn't seem to see the characters any other way blush ...

I've sat through a few of the different Superman movies, and had the same reaction...they were good, but not what I really wanted to see of the characters.

I think what I'm leading up to here is to say that we need a 'recommendations' list for the people here who would miss out on fantastic Lois and Clark stories just because it's based on Smallville (or on the Comics universe). There are plenty of stories out there that only have vague references to characters and events and could otherwise easily slip into the LnC world. Unfortunately at the moment, my brain is screaming at me to get some sleep and so I can't bring a single one to mind. ARGH!
BUT, I have been SO IMPRESSED with anything and everything L&C-related that I have read here and in the
Archive--and always will give anything a shot thumbsup ...so, recommendations please smile

So, hope you don't my me rambling on. Hopefully I've done it in an endearing Lois style and now Clark is 'head over heels' in love with me.
laugh --came off as a very nice Lois-styled babble--well done! Think Clark will be smitten...

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
If you remember good Smallville fanfics feel free to recommend them. I don't know if there is some Smallville archive like we have for Lois and Clark fanfic, so I don't know where to look for good fanfic. I've now started reading A Pirate Affair and I'm liking the story (I'm still in the first chapters). thumbsup
You should read KatherineKent's other Smallville story on the 'other canon' boards... The Kissing Booth . It's joyfully Lana-free. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am an outlier here in that as much as I love LnC, I also like Smallville (enough to have the entire sires on DVD.) While there are certainly series issues that drive me crazy, there are also a lot of positives. Of these, the best part is the Lois & Clark relationship over the last three seasons of the series. Consequently I was excited to see this here.

Andreia:
Thanks for the recommendation. I got through the first three chapters and decided to stop long enough to convert the story to epub so I can more easily read it on my phone.

Victoria
I've been meaning to get to your Smallville stories. Now that I'm in Smallville-mode, I hope to get to them very soon. For sure I'm going to convert "The Kissing Booth" to epub so I can read it at my leisure.

If anyone else has any recommendations for Lois/Clark Smallville stories, especially longer ones, please share. I'm going to be traveling and would love to have some reading material.

Finally, If anyone would like a copy of the "En Tempus Veritas" epub, I'll be happy send it via email. Just drop me a note.

Bob

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I have seen half of two different episodes of Smallville--no idea which ones they were. It wasn't that I didn't like what I saw, it's just that it wasn't L&C. I really love how Lois and Clark/Superman are portrayed, along with their relationship, in L&C--and I just couldn't seem to see the characters any other way blush ...
I don't know if the episodes you saw were from the last three seasons. If not, I recommend you give it a try. I was positively surprised. I couldn't stand broody and moody Clark from seasons 1 to 7, but from season 8 ahead he makes a 180 degree turn and then you can believe he has potential to become Superman. smile The turning point is his relationship with Lois. With her he becomes confident and self-assured and even finds a sense of humor. laugh You can see what a difference she makes. While Lana turned him into a whining teenager Lois turned him into Superman. wink

Virginia, thanks for the rec. I'm going to read it. thumbsup

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

Top Banana
Top Banana
There's no archive for SV fics in the way that the LnC archive works, but there is www.fanfiction.net . If you want a massive collection of SV fics then look on Kryptonsite in the 'Creative' section.

Thanks for the recommendations of my fics. Both the Kissing Booth and A Pirate Affair require very little, if no knowledge of SV.

Kissing Booth is only 5 parts long, doesn't take long to read. Pirate Affair is 14 parts altogether.

I have written quite a bit more than these 2, but they are VERY MUCH in the SV universe and so don't want to post them here and spoil it for those that haven't seen right to the end and many LnC lovers would not be interested either.

For those that DO want to know these are my main fics ...

Who Do You Love?
My first fic. Follows on from Season 9 cliffhanger and covers what I though the first few episodes of season 10 could be like.

Mr Right or Mr 'Right Now'
Set in Season 9

Remember
A possible Season 11 episode if they had continued making on TV. Probably around about episode 5 or 6 of an imaginary Season 11.

Band of Blue
This is my epic homage fic, 40 chapters long. Set majorly in an alt SV universe but with homages (some small, some large) to LnC, movies and comics. Many, many spoilers for SV all the way from season 1 to season 10.

There are more, some unfinished, some short vignettes, but I'll leave it there for now.

You can find all of my fics on both of the sites mentioned above.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One "Smallville" fic I can wholeheartedly recommend is Elsewhere by bulbus. It's based on the early years of "Smallville", so Lionel Luthor is the bad guy and Lex is still sort of good. Also, Lois hasn't appeared on the scene yet, and Chloe is the love interest. It's an excellent parallel-world fic. Clark has to act Supermanly, numerous times, before he can get back to his own universe.

Another really good fic is Getting Eaten Alive by Tandrelmairon. It's not Smallville, it's not L&C, it's not the Reeve-verse movies - it's just Lois and Clark and Superman, based on seventy years of comics and shows and concretions of legend. I had to read it five or six times to catch some of the subtleties in it. It's a very rewarding fic that stands up well to a lot of 'thinking-about' and re-reading.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't know if the episodes you saw were from the last three seasons. If not, I recommend you give it a try. I was positively surprised. I couldn't stand broody and moody Clark from seasons 1 to 7, but from season 8 ahead he makes a 180 degree turn and then you can believe he has potential to become Superman. The turning point is his relationship with Lois. With her he becomes confident and self-assured and even finds a sense of humor. You can see what a difference she makes. While Lana turned him into a whining teenager Lois turned him into Superman.
I've been trying to remember what the episodes were about, but could not--it was quite awhile ago...but I am very positive that Lois hadn't come on the scene yet. I'm guessing it was possibly 2005? And if I remember right, part of what had bothered me was simply the fact that Lois wasn't in it.

From what you said, those last few seasons do sound interesting. While looking around online I did happen to watch a few minutes of the end of the series--and that I did like, also.

Anyway, sounds like I'll have to give it a shot smile (and do some reading--thanks everyone for the recommendations clap ).

Laura

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lara said:
Anyway, sounds like I'll have to give it a shot
If you want to get a feel for the potential of Smallville's Lois, then you should start with Episode 1 of Season 4.

That is where Lois is introduced (and where she has a VERY unusual introduction to Clark) and one of my favorite Smallville episodes. Season 4 has several very good Lois episodes - mostly at the beginning. In any case, if you want to get a feel for Lois, I suggest you start with S4E1.

Bob

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the information Bobbart--appreciate it smile ...Sounds like the best place to start--my first thought is definitely more of an interest in the show where Lois is part of the storyline, so what you suggested gets me right where I need to be...curious about the introduction--hmmm?

Again--thanks wave

Laura

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
From season 4 to 7 I just watched some bits (the Lois related parts smile ). Their introduction, too. blush laugh Some parts left me curious about the rest of the story. Maybe I have to go back and watch the whole episodes. But first I'll have to prepare myself to bear all the Lana angst ride <sighs>. At least I can always remember that it was temporary and eventually she will go away forever and Clark won't mope anymore. devil devilsplat

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by KatherineKent:

The people who watch Smallville for the character of Superman (not Clark/Superman - just the macho superpowered hero aspect) will probably not watch LnC. Same with the teenage angst (ugh).

Because of these differences I think we also get a different kind of fanfic writing for each of the shows.

Interesting... cause I like both shows for the Lois and Clark relationship. I stayed away from Smallville for YEARS (finally tuned in around Season 9 and then had to go back and rewatch everything to get the story line), but I turned to it during an obsession over LnC. From a LnC lover AND a Smallville watcher --meaning, I love the Clois of both shows-- here's my rundown of Smallville, because it is really worth a watch, particularly for Erica Durance's portrayal of Lois, as much as I love Teri Hatcher's...

(This is all from memory, so if you want a particular episode title, just ask and I'll look it up! I'll even PM you a list of must-see eps from Season 4-10 if you want... But to save time, just going for description here -- with as few spoilers as possible!)

Season 4 is when Lois first appears on Smallville. Watch the first episode. The chemistry between the two in the first episodes is spot on.

Season 5, Lois is more a part of the Kent family, as she helps Mr. Kent with a senatorial campaign, and the sibling rivalry between Lois and Clark is played up in interesting ways. The eps she appears on in this season are interesting for understanding her relationships with men, and particularly those with super powers. She has a brief affair with Aquaman, and it is interesting to see Clark get jealous without realizing that is what he is doing.

Season 6, Lois dates Green Arrow in this season. Also some interesting foreshadowing and yet room for development in terms of how Lois handles a 'super' relationship.

Season 7, lost its way. I think this is the season of the Hollywood writers strike, and this season definitely suffers in terms of story arc. Just 'Siren' and the last episode really has any good Clois in it. Though this is the season Lois starts work at the Daily Planet.

Season 8, things get interesting... Lois suggests Clark applies to work at the DP. The triangle built for three develops in this season, as Clark takes on the persona of the Blur -- an invisible hero that Lois never sees. Halfway through this season, during Chloe's wedding, is when Lois realizes her feelings for Clark. Right when Lana makes a reappearance...

Season 9, Lois and Clark start dating... lots happens in this season...as I said above, PM me and I will give you a list of eps with a key as to which eps involve which characters... but you should pretty much see all of season 9 and 10...

Season 10, Not to reveal too much, but Lois learns the secret without Clark knowing for a few eps, and then it is a denouement of solidifying their relationship and Clark becoming Superman.

One thing I really like about Smallville, is that there is such a complete story arc for Lois and Clark through the seasons. You generally don't get to spend this much time with characters and really see how in many ways, they can fall in love over the length of a show, and not just cram it into a few episodes. And of course, since you know they will end up together, it is fun (if frustrating at times) to watch them go through their ups and downs, and see how the actors show feelings for each other, even if the writing really isn't there yet (the writers were 'forbidden' to write any serious Clois until Season 8, I think). So I enjoy that 'completeness' of character development that I think you get with Smallville. Not to say LnC didn't have that, but a lot of us I think can agree that once Lois and Clark got together, Lois lost some of her agency with some of the plot devices -amnesia, and so on --and Smallville rarely falls back on those sorts of plot twists. They happen occasionally, but they are not as forced.

All that said, for detail of their history, Seasons 4-6 are vital to watch (and one ep in season 7, Siren). For their dating history, then Seasons 8-10. Consult the Smallville wiki (or PM me!) for the eps that Lois appears in to help narrow it down further.

As to Smallville fanfic, ahem... not to toot my own horn, but please try my fics. I really enjoyed writing Blurring the Lines , which has a prequel, linked on this TOC. I've written a few more, which you can find on other sites. If there is interest, I will work on posting those here as well. smile

Anyway, I guess what I really want to say is, if you love LnC, give Smallville a chance. The early seasons and just about ALL of the Lana stuff, has too much teenage angst and is quite immature. The later Clois is well-written, IMHO, and any fan of the characters of Lois and Clark, should really give it a chance! smile

Edit: more accuracy on Smallville eps.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you--we've been out of state visiting relatives...and now home, wifi, and catching up online smile

Anyway, I guess what I really want to say is, if you love LnC, give Smallville a chance. The early seasons and just about ALL of the Lana stuff, has too much teenage angst and is quite immature. The later Clois is well-written, IMHO, and any fan of the characters of Lois and Clark, should really give it a chance!
For lack of knowledge on my part, I had lumped the whole show into 'teenage angst', and had therefore not really given it a chance--but you make a great point about how a fan of the characters of Lois and Clark should give it a chance...everything Lois-related sounds great, and I'll really have to jump into the series! Thanks for the breakdown--appreciate simplifying all the seasons/episodes down to pinpoint the L&C sections. (And the offer to PM you is really nice, too, if questions blush ).

What you said about how the length of time of the series really benefits the character development sounds so true. You really got to spend a lot of time with these characters--getting to know them and their personalities--and I can appreciate the value in that...(and it's nice knowing that whatever is going on, L&C are ending up together thumbsup ).

After the holidays, I have a feeling I know what I'll be up to smile

Thanks!
Laura

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by mozartmaid:
[b]

The people who watch Smallville for the character of Superman (not Clark/Superman - just the macho superpowered hero aspect) will probably not watch LnC. Same with the teenage angst (ugh)
Interesting... cause I like both shows for the Lois and Clark relationship. I stayed away from Smallville for YEARS (finally tuned in around Season 9 and then had to go back and rewatch everything to get the story line)

Anyway, I guess what I really want to say is, if you love LnC, give Smallville a chance. The early seasons and just about ALL of the Lana stuff, has too much teenage angst and is quite immature. The later Clois is well-written, IMHO, and any fan of the characters of Lois and Clark, should really give it a chance! smile
[/b]
Yeah, My part about the three different kinds of watchers (LnC only/both/SV) and how they crossover really only applies to Smallville seasons 1 to 4 (possibly up to season 7).

From season 8 onwards every LnC lover should at the very least 'appreciate' the series if not love it.

The only problem with starting at season 8 is seven years of back story and certain bits of important character history that you miss. It's a shame really. There are fabulous Lois bits from season 4 onwards - but only in rare episodes then gradually building in frequency.

Originally posted by LMA:
For lack of knowledge on my part, I had lumped the whole show into 'teenage angst', and had therefore not really given it a chance--but you make a great point about how a fan of the characters of Lois and Clark should give it a chance...everything Lois-related sounds great,
There is a LOT of teen angst and after watching the first few episodes you could be forgiven for lumping it all into that. But it does gradually fade. And even when the romance element is FULL of angst, there's still plenty of plot/action/super powers development and moral lessons to be learned.

You also mentioned about the great amount of time available for character development. 10 years is a long time. And covering the change from teenage to adulthood is probably the most intense time to cover. I know I love the Lois and Clark relationship, and the Clark character - both of which are full of character development, but if you start at season 8 one thing that gets missed completely is Lex's character development. He probably undergoes the biggest, most subtle, fantastic character development. He starts off good with a tiny bit of evil trying to break out. He fights it sooo hard. Then he moves to not bothering about small morally questionable things - as long as the outcome is for the good ... and so on .. till we get to 'evil with bits of good trying to break out' and eventually, in the episode Descent in season 7 ... all trace of the original Lex is gone.

It's a masterful transformation.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Top Banana
Top Banana

You also mentioned about the great amount of time available for character development. 10 years is a long time. And covering the change from teenage to adulthood is probably the most intense time to cover. I know I love the Lois and Clark relationship, and the Clark character - both of which are full of character development, but if you start at season 8 one thing that gets missed completely is Lex's character development. He probably undergoes the biggest, most subtle, fantastic character development. He starts off good with a tiny bit of evil trying to break out. He fights it sooo hard. Then he moves to not bothering about small morally questionable things - as long as the outcome is for the good ... and so on .. till we get to 'evil with bits of good trying to break out' and eventually, in the episode Descent in season 7 ... all trace of the original Lex is gone.

It's a masterful transformation.
LnC fans who want to give Smallville a go should at least skim seasons 4-6 (I have a list all prepared, if anyone wants it of which episodes to watch. Just PM me!), particularly for the reason of character development and the relationship between Lois and Clark. The sibling like rivalry gradually grows to grudging respect, friends, partners, and more... and you miss part of the journey if you skip those seasons.

Lois truly is the key to 'getting' Smallville. She makes it all worth it! smile

You are right about Lex - though apparently Rosenbaum got sick of playing him towards the end, which is why Season 7 has sort of a half-hearted ending... But there are moments where Lex is trying so hard, or where he has sort of already crossed over, and just misses a chance at redemption, that are truly agonizing for the character. Some key Lex development eps, IMO: Lexmas and Onyx. In one, you get to see what kind of life Lex could have if he made the right choices. The second one reveals the villain and the acting in Onyx is chilling...

Tess Mercer (who takes over Luthorcorp, start of Season 8) is another complex character and a force to be reckoned with in her own right.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LMA:
(And the offer to PM you is really nice, too, if questions blush ).

What you said about how the length of time of the series really benefits the character development sounds so true. You really got to spend a lot of time with these characters--getting to know them and their personalities--and I can appreciate the value in that...(and it's nice knowing that whatever is going on, L&C are ending up together smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by mozartmaid:

You are right about Lex - though apparently Rosenbaum got sick of playing him towards the end, which is why Season 7 has sort of a half-hearted ending...
Actually my understanding was that he was afraid that the constant shaving of his head would permanently affect his hair. Plus the half-hearted ending was to do with the writer's strike. Most series only got half a season written before the strike. SV was nearly complete with episodes so they are only short by 2 or 3 that season.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually my understanding was that he was afraid that the constant shaving of his head would permanently affect his hair. Plus the half-hearted ending was to do with the writer's strike. Most series only got half a season written before the strike. SV was nearly complete with episodes so they are only short by 2 or 3 that season.
Yeah, I thought the strike had affected Season 7. But it seemed to me that Lex could have been written into Season 8, and I just remembered hearing on one of the commentaries about Rosenbaum getting tired of playing Lex -- or at least wanting out of the series. Interesting about him worrying about his hair, though. At least John Shea didn't have to worry about that. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blueowl, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard