From Chapter 4: Given

“Goodnight, Kal.” Kneeling on the floor she drew back the blankets on his pallet and slid in.

Kal continued to hang his hammock and once it settled in place he removed his boots and jacket. Striding over to his small desk he bent down and blew out the candle in the lamp. Two strides and he was back at the hammock.

He climbed in at the same time as sliding his pistol out of his waistband. Holding it in his hand as he shuffled into place he slid onto his side, facing the door.

Out there were dangers. He had to be alert and aware at all times. He was in such a delicate position and he couldn’t risk anything tipping the balance here.

But then he thought about the lady resting behind him; hopefully asleep. She was definitely tipping the balance, but in what direction. And it was possible that she was a greater danger than the rest of the crew outside the door.

Lois woke the following morning with a start. She bolted upright in shock when she remembered where she was. It had been the best sleep she’d had since this whole affair had started: since the kidnapping of her father.

‘Just the comfy bed,' she told herself, 'and the lack of snoring pirates surrounding me. Nothing to do with the other occupant of the cabin.’

Kal didn’t snore, or she’d been too asleep to notice.

Her pounding heart subsided when she realised that she was alone. The hammock, which he had hung last night, was now folded up on the small table. She wondered how long he’d been gone.

She dressed herself in the only clothes she could find in the cabin, the cream dress, and then went out on deck. It was obviously still early morning. There was always a subdued air about the crew at first light. Lois suspected that was the fault of the rum that had been imbibed the night before.

As she wandered the deck, heart in her throat but acting confident, she received a few nods from the crew. Some of them tipped their head, others acknowledged her ‘ma-am’. One leered greedily and she turned away the moment she noticed.

That just happened to bring into view, stood at the wheel, the very person she’d been looking for, but trying to put off finding. Kal. A smile came to her lips and she stood still and just watched him from afar for a minute.

She was broken out of her dream state when he moved away and another pirate replaced him at the wheel. Kal walked away and rested against a wooden banister. A quick movement of his arms and he had removed his shirt. She watched as he closed his eyes, facing himself to the sun. As he basked in its warmth Lois gazed at his now bare chest.

This would be the third … no fourth, time that she’d been privy to the sight of the Quartermaster’s glistening, bronzed chest. A flutter began deep in her abdomen. Lois took a deep breath and placed her hands on her stomach to control the nerves.

‘Well, to battle. The captain is not going to fall for my charms … thankfully. He is old enough to be my father, though he is handsome … in an old, rugged way. But, he’s too unpredictable. And his reaction when I mentioned the Pirate King. I now doubt that he is the Pirate King, but judging by the effect the name caused I also doubt that he would be forthcoming with any information.’

‘Kal, on the other hand ...’

He opened his eyes and turned, his eyes locking with hers, as if he’d know she was staring.

As she strode the length of the deck and ascended the steps to where he stood on the bridge she kept her eyes trained on his. He watched her the whole way. She kept her gaze steady and attempted a gentle smile.

Kal was by no means old enough to be her father. And she was already drawn to his good looks. She also suspected that she’d seen a flare of desire in his eyes when he’d discovered her in the bath. Kal would be easy to seduce. She’d get him to trust her then ask him to take her to the Pirate King. Surely he would be in the know as the First Mate on the Kandor.

“You were gone when I awoke,” she spoke as she reached the bridge.

“That was my intention,” came his reply.

Lois couldn’t interpret the tone of his voice and he was no longer looking directly at her, but out to sea. She rested her elbows on the wooden banister as close to him as she dare.

“I wanted to ask you a question.” She turned to look at him and when his head turned towards her she fell into his blue eyes. My goodness, they are the very colour of the sea. Lois found that her breath was struggling to release from her lungs. Never had she been so enraptured by a pair of eyes before. He raised his eyebrow mockingly. Lois’s stomach clenched and the spell of his eyes was broken when she realised that he was probably making presumptions about her intentions towards him based on her behaviour at supper the night before.

“Do tell,” he spoke patronisingly.

“The return of my clothes,” she paused to take in the look of confusion on his face. “To get back to work.” The confusion turned to shock and Lois felt a flash of triumph in her chest. If Kal was under the impression that she was out to seduce him, after her disastrous attempt with the captain, then he was absolutely correct. But Lois was not about to make it that obvious. She knew many ways to kindle the spark of interest in a man. And one of the most difficult techniques was the one she realised would have to be employed in this instance.

Honesty. Hard work. Friendship.

With maybe just a touch of ‘accidental’ flirtation.

“And why would you wish to work, Miss Lois?” He tilted his head and before she had a chance to explain he turned and walked away. He swung out his arm to indicate the whole ship. “You now have free passage until we return to port. All the men here are paid to work.” He looked back at her, steel in his gaze. “And you made your intentions clear last night. A rich husband. Why would a lady such as you be eager to work?”

Lois felt the need to defend herself against Kal’s arrogant opinion of her. He’d judged her immediately without any basis in fact. “I am not averse to hard work, I would have you know, Kal. I am quite willing to pull my weight and contribute.” She held her head high and stepped forward until she stood chest to chest with him, although her chest was considerably lower, and his was still bare. “I know you watched me, Kal. I know you saw what I could do. I am a good sailor. Put me back to work.” She gentled her tone. “Please!”

Moments passed as they stared at each other. The moments stretched into eternity and Lois felt like she was falling into his soul. The blue of his eyes rippled like the waves and she drifted on those waves out of control. She felt her body swaying a little and, for a moment, was convinced that she’d seen Kal’s head dip.

“You are right. Lois, you are a great sailor.” He blinked and stepped back freeing her from his power just as her heart soared in joy at his compliment. “We are fortunate to have someone with your skill on board, especially in combination with your young and acrobatic body. I will speak to Corbin about placing you somewhere.”

“No!” her heart jumped. “No, please don’t send me to Corbin. I’m sure you can assign me something yourself.” She pleaded with him.

Kal frowned and narrowed his eyes. “Has Corbin done something?” he asked, almost missing off the question and stating it as fact.

“He … he …” she faltered.

Kal grabbed her by the shoulders and stepped up to her again. “If he has touched you, or threatened you I will see to it that he limps with both legs.”

Lois dropped her mouth open in shock at the fire and anger in Kal’s voice.

“No, Kal, no. He hasn’t, please just …” she found herself dithering over her words and as the passion grew in his eyes she knew she needed to find her own calm. “Kal!” she spoke clearly, to herself as much as to him. “I am just a little wary of him … now that my, um, feminine charms have been revealed.”

“I see.” Lois watched as he found control and then backed off. “I will find you some responsibility, Lois. Be assured, if you wish to be useful then you shall be.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tess slowly ascended the stone steps leading to the Commodore’s manor house. She arrived at the top and paused, then brushed down on her coat and dress. It still felt unusual to wear brightly coloured clothing but she’d slowly begun to realise that her father would rather she honoured his memory than grieved over it. The best way she could think of to honour him was to become the lady that he had wanted her to be. That meant fulfilling her role as Governor. In the current situation that had to be done in secret, though, and currently it was the world’s best kept secret as no-one but herself was privy to it.

Tess lifted her hand to grab the door chain. One swift pull set the bell ringing. She waited patiently for a minute or two before repeating the action. A distant voice came to her, only just piercing the thick wooden door.

“Alright, alright. Hold on to ya britches.” Tess smirked at the broad English accent and obscure phrase. When the door opened she was greeted by an elderly woman dressed in simple brown woollens and clutching a dirty rag. “What is it? There’s no-one ‘ere.”

“I am Miss Luthor. I’ve come to investigate the disappearance of Commodore Lane.”

“Oh!” Old, but bright eyes, widened slightly. “Oh! Miss Luthor. I do beg your pardon. Please come in. Please.” She shuffled backwards and dropped into a small curtsey before opening the door as wide as it was able.

“Thank you,” she smiled at the servant. “And you are?” she asked with an openly friendly face.

“Mary, miss. I’m the housekeeper for the Commodore. At least, when he’s here, that is. There’s usually more of us, but Rosie left when the Master was taken and Josiah and Jeremy were sent home the day Miss Lane went missing. There’s no-one ‘ere to tend to so I’m just lookin’ after. You know, cleanin’ and carin’ for.”

Tess strode into the house and began to look around the hallway, familiarising herself with the new layout. She had visited long ago, and well before the new Commodore’s appointment by the King seven months past.

“Oh, look at me rattling on. I do beg your pardon miss. I’ll be thinkin’ you want to see his study?”

Tess turned to look at Mary. “Yes, I will. Thank you Mary.”

“This way then.” She held out her arm to indicate the direction then strode ahead at a quick pace.

At the door to the study the elderly servant stopped. “He’s been missin’ for over a month now.” She hung her head, hand placed against the door ready to push it open. “And then for Miss Lois to run off too. It’s such a shame. I never thought such ill luck would fall on such an honourable family.”

Tess tried to recall her father’s wisdom on dealing with situations of grief but she could not bring them to mind. She felt compassion in her heart, almost the resonating of her own grief and loss, but somehow managed not to get distracted by it.

“I completely agree, Mary. I never met the Commodore, or his daughter, but I have heard such wonderful things. I am most grieved that I did not have their acquaintance and I am most determined to help the Governor in the matter of finding the Commodore.”

Tess felt no guilt over the tiny falsehood which sprung from her lips, but it was necessary at the moment. Her brother was Governor, in her place, but she would uphold the honour of the position as long as she could. Then take it back when the time was right.

Entering the study a shiver travelled up her spine, as if the foul act lingered in the very air.

“I’ll be fine on my own here, Mary. Thank you.”

“Of course, Miss.” She peered past Tess and into the room, tension showing on her face. “Would you care for some tea?” She asked as she straightened up and turned to leave.

“That would be wonderful,” Tess replied.

Finally alone Tess sat herself down in a high backed chair and sighed. ‘Lex is going to send this Port to ruin if I cannot find the Commodore and put an end to his Governorship. I cannot believe he would be so devious.’

Tess shook her head to bring back her concentration and then she stood and began to wander around the room. The first point of interest was a writing cabinet. She opened the top drawer, flipped out the wooden supports and then pulled down the writing flap. As she searched through the papers she continued to muse over her brother’s actions.

‘I know Lex is not a good Governor, but I cannot understand why he does not wish the Commodore to be found. And to place someone on board HMS Planet to sabotage Captain White’s mission. What is Lex trying to hide?’

As she carefully searched through the papers, only finding blank parchment, she began to worry over the direction of her thoughts. There was only one reason that Lex would interfere in the attempt to find the Commodore.

She closed up the cabinet and moved further round the room. At the large oak desk she slid out the grand chair and slipped onto the plush, red velvet cushion.

‘Lex is somehow involved in the disappearance’. Tess felt her heart plummet and a cold fear steal into her chest. Lex was not merely incompetent, as she has hoped, but he was purposefully acting in this way.

A clatter at the door made her start in shock and then Mary entered carrying a tray. She placed it on the table and poured out some tea into a delicate cup.

“Mary, has there been anyone else investigating the Commodore’s disappearance?”

Mary stretched out with her arm to hand the cup across. “Governor Luthor sent someone two days after the … incident. He took a little look around.” Tess heard no inflection in the maid’s voice.

“Has he returned at all, or sent word of how his investigation is progressing?”

Mary paused and straightened. “No miss.” Tess now heard the confusion in the old lady’s voice. “Is the investigation not goin’ too well?”

Tess raised the cup to her lips and took a sip of hot tea. “I’m not sure, Mary. I will find out for you.” ‘But I suspect that there is no investigation at all.’

The servant turned and exited the study leaving her alone again. Tess took another sip and then sighed, putting the cup back down. She was not paying particular attention and so misjudged making some liquid spill onto the table. She jumped back quickly to avoid the spill reaching her clothes and as she patted at it with a napkin from the tray she began to notice deep scratches in the table.

She frowned and looked closer, drying off the tea as much as she was able. An inspiration hit her and she ran for a piece of paper and some graphite from the writing cabinet.

After carefully rubbing the pattern into the paper she studied it for only a few seconds before leaving swiftly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kal stood at the bottom of the steps to the hold just in the shadows. A chill came over his body at the sudden difference in temperature down here, and out of the blazing sun. He reached for his shirt but then remembered that it was still up on deck.

“I need someone to complete an inventory for me. I have a previous one in my cabin to compare your results with when you are done. It will help me to know whether …” Kal paused, not wanting to raise his suspicious to the lady who had deceived him, and everyone on board, once already.

“You suspect someone is pilfering the … um pilfered loot?” she smiled at him mischievously. He frowned. ‘Does she know something? Or is she just very observant, possessing good instincts?’

He turned and strode to a desk hidden behind the wooden steps and picked up a piece of paper in one hand. Using the other hand to rummage through a box on the floor he found a quill and ink.

“Here are your writing implements, Lois.”

She pursed her lips momentarily and Kal felt desire shoot through his body at the thought that it looked as if she were preparing for a kiss. “How can you be sure I am literate,” she teased.

He stared into her twinkling eyes but felt no humour himself. “I just know,” he breathed out softly.

Suddenly the mirth disappeared and was replaced by something unexpected. Sounds faded away and all he could hear was the pounding of his own heart and the ragged breathing coming from Lois. He noticed that she was staring at his chest. As he breathed in and out it expanded his ribcage and her eyes followed. His nipples hardened with the cold air and charged atmosphere. She gulped and looked back up at him.

An uncontrollable impulse came over him and he felt his mouth descending ever so slowly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tess arrived at the Queen Warehouse in under ten minutes. Never had she walked so quickly while trying to seem as not in a rush. She stopped and nodded and smiled to many people on the way and every time the knot in her stomach tightened.

As she strode past the general store which provided food for the mansion she resolved to call in after her errand was complete. She quickly glanced around to see if anyone was watching before slipping into an alleyway. At the end of the darkened passage she encountered a wooden door.

She knocked and waited.

Hearing footsteps coming from inside she let out a sigh of relief. ‘They have returned.’

The door opened and Tess was greeted by the sight of an old friend. Someone she hadn’t seen in years, since her childhood. “Uncle Robert!” She smiled and then a big grin appeared on his face. He wasn’t truly her Uncle but the phrase came easily to her.

“Tess! Little Tess, is that you?”

“Yes it is.”

“Come in, please.” He smiled and motioned with his hands then allowed her entry inside. “So, what brings you to my humble warehouse?” he asked.

“I, uh, need the services of The Justice.” Tess spoke shakily. Robert Queen stopped and turned.

“The Justice?” he asked looking completely oblivious.

“I know you are the King’s paid Privateer Uncle. I need you. Lex is involved in a potentially disastrous scheme.”

“Tess,” he smiled, “you are mistaken. I am no Privateer, just a businessman. I was once on the Port Council when your father was Governor, but I am no longer of such importance.” He turned and continued to walk through the warehouse. Tess followed and kept her silence until they reached a study room.

She seated herself opposite Mr Queen and waited till he seemed comfortable. “I came to find you a fortnight ago but the warehouse was all shut up. You have been away?” she questioned innocently.

“Yes. I took Laura on a trip to investigate new channels of trade.”

“Mmm hmm,” nodded Tess wryly. “Look, Uncle. The Commodore went missing over a month ago. There is much reason to believe it is suspicious. I came to ask for your help at that time but you were away. Now I have more evidence and I desperately need you to put to sea.” She reached into her bag and pulled out the piece of paper with the graphite rubbing on. “This was burned into the desk in the Commodore’s study. Also his daughter has gone missing.”

Robert Queen leant forward with a serious look on his face. He took the paper depicting a square with a lightning slash and two dots outside at opposite corners and then sat back in his seat.

“I also have reason to believe that my brother is involved. I overheard him instructing an officer to sabotage Captain White’s mission to look for the Commodore.”

The older gentleman, who’d been a close friend to her father, studied the paper intently but said nothing.

“Please, Uncle,” she pleaded.

“Tess, you have the wrong idea. I am not the King’s Privateer. But,” he sighed, “I will do my utmost to help you. I do have … contacts.”

“Thank you,” she breathed out in gratefulness. “Now I should leave. I believe it is time to inform my maid of the truth to this whole messy situation. She is entitled to know, as it is her Uncle who has gone missing.”

Once Tess left Robert closed the door behind and then turned. Running through the warehouse as fast as he could without disturbing his stock he made it to the door which connected his store to the house. He flung open the door and raced in.

“Ollie!” he called. “Oliver!”

“Yes father,” came a shout from the kitchen.

“Oliver. You must set sail at once.”

“Father?” he frowned.

“The Commodore is missing and this was left at the scene.” He held up the paper with the stylised - boxed in - ‘Z’ pattern. Oliver’s eyes widened and he turned and ran to the main entrance.

“Is The Justice ready?” he shouted out.

“Always, son.”

“Then I’ll be back in an hour with my crew,” and he left, sprinting through the streets of Port Metropolis on the way to the homes of his fellow shipmates.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois felt her heart skip a beat as she noticed Kal’s head lower, his lips descending. All thought of being the one in control of this seduction fled and she fluttered her eyes closed. The boat swayed, hitting a relatively large wave, and something crashed to the floor separating them in an instant.

Her eyes blinked wide as she stared at Kal, nervously. ‘What just happened? Is my plan working already? And why did I lose all concentration?’ Kal’s chest rose and fell with his deep breaths and she purposefully tore her gaze away from the bare, goose pimpled flesh and into his eyes. That was of no help to her disposition, to see the passion staring back at her.

Kal slowly turned his head to search for the source of the interruption and Lois followed. He strode past her and then crouched down when he found a small wooden crate on the floor.

“I’d wager that this was stacked up here,” he explained and stood up to full height indicating the top of a stack of boxes. “And the swaying of the ship toppled it off.” He turned round to look at her. “And non to soon,” he whispered.

He brushed past her and headed for the steps back out to the deck.

“Kal!” she called. “My clothes. It would be much easier for me in my clothes.”

“I’m afraid, Miss Lois, that they have been taken to be washed and cleaned. They will be returned to you after the mid-day meal I would expect.”

With that he turned and left and Lois set about cataloguing the items in the hold … still dressed in the aristocratic dress from the previous evening.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."