Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This vignette might qualify for the July Reveal Challenge -- at least, it is an anti-unreveal story, so to speak. But I hadn't wanted to mention it either in the story title or in the relevant Fanfic Challenge thread, since doing so would be a spoiler for the story.

I still have an idea for a belated June A-Plot story challenge in the works, but it may still be a while before that story sees the light of day.

As always, all feedback welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, that's definitely an anti-reveal. clap

Slap him again, Lois! The lunkhead deserves it. laugh

Fun little story, Lynn. Thanks.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Nice one!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very nice and more preferable conclusion to the movie. Way to go!
goofy thumbsup
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, the whole memory-erasing kiss was really a cop-out and insulting to Lois.

I heard that originally, Superman II would have ended with the ending of Superman I, where Clark flies around the world backwards and reverses time. But budget issues led to using this ending in Superman I (which was originally supposed to end on a cliffhanger with Zod and his minions escaping from the Phantom Zone.)

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Virginia, Marcus, Artemis, and Iolanthe, thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate it. This is my first foray into a non-L&C Superman story. I'm glad it held up. I had tried not to let my heavily-L&C-influenced perceptions of the characters influence the character portrayal here (our beloved characters really do have a lot of differences between 'verses); it sounds as though I may have succeeded.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
rotflol Good on Lois! Nice vignette, Lynn!

But I wonder if it has ever been clarified exactly how Clark swiped her memory. Was it for sure hypnosis? Darn powerful lips there, Clark! Are there other theories out there in the canon on the mind-wipe nonsense?

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for the FDK, MM.

But I wonder if it has ever been clarified exactly how Clark swiped her memory. Was it for sure hypnosis?
Well, it was in this story. wink AFAIK, there is no official word about precisely how the memory-wipe kiss works, and I'm not into movie-verse fandom, so I don't know of any fan-based explanations. The most logical explanation I can come up with is that the kiss somehow put Lois in a state susceptible to hypnosis, and Clark then sent her hypnotic suggestions telepathically. Yeah, it's a pretty far-fetched explanation, but I can't come up with a better one.

Are there other theories out there in the canon on the mind-wipe nonsense?
If there are any out there, I'd like to hear them, too.

Joy,
Lynn

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
"You're a grown man, for goodness' sake! You don't have to do what mother says! Just because she says we can't be together doesn't make it so. Do you want to be with me?"
Way to go! Cut those apron strings!

I like the hypnosis explanation. Superman often used his Super-Hypnotism power back in the '60s comics.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Mrs. Mxy,

Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
<chuckle>

Superman often used his Super-Hypnotism power back in the '60s comics.
Thanks for pointing that out. I remember one Bronze age comic (Superman 330) which explained that the reason no one recognized Clark as CK was that he (as Clark) subconsciously hypnotized everyone who saw him in person, on air, or via newsprint, into thinking that he (CK) looked older and frailer than Superman. This site shows the relevant page from that comic, and this site has a plot synopsis and a review of it.

IIRC, Golden Age Superman also memory-wiped Lois' knowledge of his dual identity via hypnotism (no kissing involved) on more than one occasion.

So (if I'm remembering correctly about Golden Age Superman), one of the things about Superman that has endured (albeit off and on) over his 75 years seems to be his willingness to mess with people's minds in order to preserve his secret identity. Not one of his better characteristics. Fortunately, I can't see Dean Cain's Superman playing such mind games.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Clark should be like he people in the old t.v. ads and say, "Thanks! I needed that." There are many differences between Clarks, but apparently they share a tendency to make bone-headed decisions "for Lois's own good" without consulting her.

Well done, Lynn!

This *is* my happily ever after.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by HappyGirl:
Clark should be like he people in the old t.v. ads and say, "Thanks! I needed that."
rotflol
There are many differences between Clarks, but apparently they share a tendency to make bone-headed decisions "for Lois's own good" without consulting her.
Ain't that the truth!

Well done, Lynn!
Thanks. blush

Joy,
Lynn

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
party finally a worthwhile ending. It makes sense that Lois would be able to beat the memory-wipe kiss. She is just that awesome.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Hi Mrs. Mxy,

Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
<chuckle>

Superman often used his Super-Hypnotism power back in the '60s comics.
Thanks for pointing that out. I remember one Bronze age comic (Superman 330) which explained that the reason no one recognized Clark as CK was that he (as Clark) subconsciously hypnotized everyone who saw him in person, on air, or via newsprint, into thinking that he (CK) looked older and frailer than Superman. This site shows the relevant page from that comic, and this site has a plot synopsis and a review of it.

IIRC, Golden Age Superman also memory-wiped Lois' knowledge of his dual identity via hypnotism (no kissing involved) on more than one occasion.

So (if I'm remembering correctly about Golden Age Superman), one of the things about Superman that has endured (albeit off and on) over his 75 years seems to be his willingness to mess with people's minds in order to preserve his secret identity. Not one of his better characteristics. Fortunately, I can't see Dean Cain's Superman playing such mind games.

Joy,
Lynn
I always though he was too supportive of Wells' removing Lois from knowing in the first episode with Tempus, but I guess at least Clark was also made to forget their time in the past, so it was at least equal erasure of knowledge, although Lois lost a lot more.

John Pack Lambert
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback and the party. smile

You make an interesting point about Clark going along with the the memory erasure. But there was another HUGE difference here; Lois, too, heard what Wells was planning to do and did not protest. Clark didn't make the decision for her in the show. Another point in favour of "our" Clark.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You fixed the one major flaw in what was otherwise one of my favorite movies growing up! clap For that, I thank you. smile

Btw, are you blending the "regular" version of the movie with the Donner cut, here? Because the Donner cut has Lois shooting Clark to prove he's superman, but only the Lester version (IIRC) has him consulting his mother instead of the more-expensive Jor-El. Just wondering if this is an intentional shake-up; no worries either way. cool

~•~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Queenie,

Oops. I guess it shows that although I enjoyed both versions of the movie, I am not a fan of it in the same way I am of L&C. I remembered both the shooting and the burn scene as revelations, and I went with the one that worked here. But I had forgotten completely that only one of the two versions had Superman consulting his mom -- and it was the burn scene version. Oops. blush

Consider my story taking place in a universe halfway between the Donner and Lester universes. wink

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Blueowl, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard