Friday

Sat at the table eating Martha’s delicious roast Lois found herself unable to enjoy it. Her stomach turned in knots at every bite.

“Are you ok, sweety?” Martha asked. “Are you not hungry?”

Lois looked up from pushing some vegetable around with her fork. “What? Oh, no. Well yes. Um. Actually, I’m kind of tired.” She turned to look at Clark who was munching away oblivious to the conversation and her discomfort. “I don’t think I’ll come tonight.”

He immediately looked up, confusion on his face. “What?” He put down his fork. “Lois?” He half laughed, as if he didn’t quite believe her.

“I know I’ve driven you every night, but it’s getting a bore, Smallville. I need some big screen entertainment. Something full of action.”

“The movie theatre is straight past the fairground, you could drop me off and I’ll wait around until you’re done.”

“Na. I was kinda thinking more small screen and cosy.” She resumed her eating, hoping that she’d acted casual enough. Clark frowned for a moment then picked his fork back up and stabbed a carrot, placing it in his mouth quite violently. Lois watched this out of the corner of her eye and it confused her. Why would he seem so … upset … that she wasn’t coming along?

When it came time to clear the dishes away and Clark bounded past her shrugging on his jacket she felt a lurch of her stomach. She peered through the kitchen window as she rinsed off a plate and watched him climb into the cab of the truck then drive off. For a moment she was overwhelmed by loss, but then it was replaced by relief.

It was not much later and Lois was sitting on the couch flicking through the channels on the TV. Nothing caught her eye. In fact she seemed doomed to spend the evening watching sappy romance films. Every time she switched channels it seemed to be on a kissing scene from some old-fashioned movie.

“Found anything yet, Lois?” came Martha Kent’s voice from the kitchen.

“Nope,” she shouted back. “Are you sure this is tuned in right?” She stood and wandered over to the set, peering behind. “I’m convinced there must be some kind of ‘action’ inhibiter installed behind the set, or something.”

Martha wandered in with a coffee and a cookie. “You’re just being unlucky, Lois. I’m so sorry. I know you felt the need for … how did you put it? … some big screen entertainment played on the small screen.”

Lois just hmmph-ed, continuing to flick through the channels with the remote as she returned to the couch. She dropped onto the seat but then immediately sat herself back up and brightened. “Oh! Terminator.” Her eyes sparkled for a moment till she noticed which scene was about to play out.

Kyle Reece removed his shirt.
Sarah Connor wept over his scars.
Kyle confessed his love …

Lois gritted her teeth as unfamiliar emotions arced through her heart. Well, unfamiliar until she’s kissed a certain farm-boy two nights ago … and then had a wonderfully enjoyable evening at the carnival with him. She flicked the off button and threw the remote down beside her on the couch. Martha held out the coffee and cookie and Lois took them, biting into the warm cookie immediately.

“A little down on love, are we?” asked Martha, knowingly.

“What? No!” Lois replied defensively, crumbs spilling from her lips.

“Lois,” Martha sat down next to her. “I noticed that you went with Clark to the fairground every night. Why haven’t you gone with him tonight?”

“I told you. I’m a little tired, plus I needed some serious action,” Lois replied casually. Martha looked at her making it clear that she didn’t believe her, but she never said a word. “Ok, maybe something happened between Smallville and me and I’m trying to stay away,” she admitted when she couldn’t take the woman’s knowing look any longer.

“Oh, honey. Did you fight? Because you know he doesn’t mean it. He’s only sticking up for himself because you … well you do tease him a lot.”

Lois let out a breath she didn’t realise she’d been holding. Martha thought they’d fought. Nothing more. Good, let’s keep it that way.

“I know Mrs K, but he’s such a temp … er easy target.” Lois laughed to lighten the mood and end the conversation. She felt a little mortified though. She’d been about to describe Clark as a ‘tempting’ target and had only just swapped it to ‘easy’ in time.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark tossed and turned. That was very unlike him. He needed little sleep and he always found it easy to relax and rest his body, almost setting an internal alarm clock for morning. Plus, he’d become quite accustomed to the couch. But his mind wouldn’t shut off. He kept thinking how strange it had seemed, to drive himself there and back this evening. Also, the feeling of being watched which had been present all week had been absent tonight.

Clark had to accept that he was disappointed not to spend some time with Lois again. He enjoyed their evening on the rides, even if he’d got so distracted that he’d got on a ride that went too high for comfort.

Throughout the evening he’d found himself looking up, activating his x-ray vision to look through the crowd and the stall, expecting to see her somewhere. Possibly even expecting to see her laughing at him from that spot she seemed to linger in by the hot dog stand.

When his shift had ended and he’d pulled on his jacket and wandered off he’d finally realised that he’s actually be expecting to find her in line. Why, he didn’t know. There were two massive reasons why that would never happen. One: she wasn’t even here, and two: she didn’t even like him. Not to mention a million tiny reasons also.

Still, he couldn’t forget that tingle when their lips touched. He hoped so badly that she’d get back in line again so he could find out if it was a unique experience … or if it was endlessly repeatable. His mind was still racing even when he fell asleep.

He found himself back in the booth, a line of girls waiting for a kiss. It was a familiar feeling now. He no longer felt any shyness or embarrassment at it. Actually, he’d become quite comfy with the situation pretty quickly on the first day.

He looked up when a dollar was placed on the desk. It was Lois. She wore a tight, small red top and skinny jeans. Her hair was pulled up in a ponytail and was swinging from side to side. Without any words spoke he leant forwards. She turned her head and he kissed her on the cheek and then she strolled off.

Then next girl stepped forward and offered her dollar. It was Lois again. Her hair was still in the ponytail, but it was much lower, almost at the nape of her neck … and she was wearing a more modest, but still red, blouse. This time she didn’t turn away and he brushed his lips to hers for a fraction of a second. His body tingled all over.

When he pulled back she strolled off only to reveal another Lois offering a dollar. This time Clark’s lips lingered for a few seconds. When they pulled apart he noticed that her hair was loose and had a little wave over her shoulder. She also seemed to be dressed quite smartly.

Another Lois stepped up. Then another, and another. Each kiss lasted longer than the previous.

Another Lois stepped forward and Clark found himself out of breath. Her hair was shiny, chocolate brown. Full and gentle waves tumbled over her eyes and past her shoulders. A soft, yet shaped blouse dotted with a simple pattern flattered her body. She looked into his eyes, blinked slowly and smiled.

Clark smiled back and then his lips began to descend.

His heart raced as the kiss lingered on. The roaring of the crowd faded and he pulled closer. He realised that the counter separating them had disappeared. In fact the whole fairground had faded away. There was only him and Lois.

He drew her close and wrapped his arms around her. He felt her hands trailing up his back till they reached his shoulders. She pulled tight and their chests touched. A moan escaped her lips and he pressed in deeper. A stirring in his stomach tempted him to explore with his hand and, when she sighed up her side he gave in and began to move his hand down to her behind. When he reached her bottom he gave it a gentle squeeze and then moved his other hand up her chest until …

And then woke up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."