Wednesday

“You coming, Smallville?” Lois called out; hand on the open door to her car. She turned to look back at the farmhouse and caught Clark shrugging into his football jacket and running out of the door. He had a piece of pie in his hands and Lois licked her lips. Lois, you’ve already had two helpings. My goodness where would you fit it? she scolded herself.

She climbed into the car and waited while Clark slipped into the seat beside her. His large frame filled the space and she experienced a moment of claustrophobia. Shrugging it off she twisted the key in the ignition and the engine roared to life.

When she squealed out of the driveway she saw Clark grab onto the door handle. She grinned to herself. He’s such a wuss.

“Lois, I’d like to make it there in one piece.”

“Aw, are you worried you won’t get as many punters if you have a black eye, split lip and blood pouring out of your nose,” Lois teased.

“Don’t mock, Lois. With the way you drive that’s a real possibility.”

“Yeah,” Lois retaliated, “at least I make it into double figures with my speed.”

“More like triple,” Clark mumbled back. Lois narrowed her eyes reflecting the combination of anger and offense she felt at his remark.

As she pulled into a free spot quite a distance from the fairground Clark unclipped his seatbelt and sighed in relief.

“Having a little trouble breathing there are we Clark?” Lois said sarcastically. “You must have caught a cold from one of those pre-schoolers. I told you they all had cooties.”

They both climbed out and once again she split from him immediately, feigning no interest in his lip-smacking activities. As she wandered around she fingered a dollar that she’d put in her jeans pocket. She made a point of avoiding the Kissing Booth for quite a significant amount of time.

After a while she began to wander aimlessly and forgot that she was purposefully keeping to the other end of the ground. She blinked in shock when she realized she’d wandered over to the footballer’s stand. She turned away quickly; scared, wide-eyed look on her face, then breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the hot-dog stand and ran to join the queue.

As she waited she began to fidget. But you’re not actually hungry, Lois. You had that second helping of Mrs K’s pie earlier. After arguing with herself all the way to the counter she finally made it, pulled out her dollar and then frowned.

“You know what?” she spoke to the server. “I’m not hungry. Sorry.” She gave an apologetic smile and shuffled off. Coming round the corner and spying the Kissing Booth she felt her heart jump when she saw that it was empty; there was no-one waiting. Clark was leaning on the counter casually, his football jacket tossed over it and hanging down next to him.

Lois realised she still had the dollar in her hand. Rolling it around her fingers again she made a snap decision. “What the heck, it’s for a good cause.” She strode forwards, confidently, and slapped her dollar down on the counter.

“Lois!” Clark straightened up, looking completely shocked.

“Come on, let’s get this over with then,” she grumbled.

“What? You’re here for ...” Lois rolled her eyes at how terrified he looked. And he can’t even bring himself to say the word.

“Don’t let it go to your head Smallville. I’m not here for you. I’m here for the animals.” She nodded in the direction of the sign advertising the charity.

Clark grinned suddenly and Lois felt wary. “Well, I never imagined Lois Lane would be willing to actually pay to give me a kiss.” The teasing note in his voice set her stomach on fire. Oh, he is so going to pay for this.

“Technically, Smallville, you are the one doing the kissing.”

They stared at each other for too many seconds, each trying to win the argument just using their eyes, until Lois eventually couldn’t take any more.

“Ok, just get on with it.” She gestured with her hands and then stepped forwards. Determined to make him do all the work Lois stood completely still, hands clamped in fists at her side.

Clark rolled his eyes in despair and rested his hand on the counter, enabling him to lean forwards.

Lois refused to let her eyes close so she experienced a close up view of Clark’s face as it descended. His eyes were also open, but an instinctive reaction obviously caused him to close them as he got closer. Lois almost fell prey to the same natural desire but forcibly widened her eyes instead.

When Clark’s lips met hers she felt a slight tingle. Her eyelids fluttered closed against all her previous wishes and she swayed closer. This increased the kiss pressure. Rather than a light touch at the very edge of their lips they became tangled together. Both Lois and Clark parted their lips in surprise but as they were still touching it only deepened the kiss.

Lois’s eyes shot open and she stepped away. Her whole body was humming. The tingle which had started in her lips was now vibrating in every molecule of her body; becoming part of her DNA.

She somehow managed to find an inner calm and nodded her head briskly. “There. Done.”

“Lois?” Clark spoke in confusion. Oh bother, deflect, deflect.

“Thanks for the thrill, Smallville,” she teased and then turned quickly, bouncing her ponytail while jogging off.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois wandered as far away from the Kissing Booth as possible. The opposite end of the wasteland currently home to the carnival turned out to be a real disappointment, though. The hoop stall and the hook-a-duck stall had very little to interest her in terms of prizes so she passed up on attempting them; although the cure, cuddly bear dressed in Crow’s colours and sporting a snazzy cape nearly tempted her.

She wandered for a while, enjoying the more sedate atmosphere. Somehow it calmed her after the sudden adrenaline pump from a moment ago. It must have been some static electricity. What kind of soles do the shoes have anyway? She bought a giant drink of Pepsi and sat herself down on a bench. As she slurped through the straw she tried to angle herself to see through the crowds and in between the stalls, wondering if the booth were visible or not. At this distance, if she just happened to be in the correct spot, then it would be like looking at a matchbox house. It turned out that line of sight was not onto the Kissing Booth.

“Oh well,” she said to herself brightly. “It’s not as if it’s important.” She shuffled down a bit on the bench so that her feet slung out straight and her upper back rested on the back of the bench. It was incredibly comfy.

She smiled. Life was good. Smallville was a great town.

As she closed her eyes she head some giggles coming closer.

“So, are you going back for another?” came a high-pitched young voice.

“Of course I am, Suzie.”

“Yeah. Who wouldn’t go back many, many times to kiss those lips,” a third voice chuckled.

“So how many dollars do you have left then?”

Lois heard rummaging and then a zip sound. The group of adolescent girls must be stood right next to her. It was pretty obvious from the coin rattles that money was being counted up.

“Awww,” Lois heard a disappointed whine. “Only three dollars left.”

Another voice sighed dreamily. “Oh! Three more times. Kayley, you get to kiss the Quarterback three more times.”

“I know, Maddie. I know!”

The girls broke out into giggles again and the sound drifted away. They were almost out of earshot, but not quite, when Lois heard a final comment. “He’s sooo dreamy.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, how many girls swooned then, Smallville?” Lois asked on the way back to the farm remembering the overheard conversation.

“None,” he replied with a confused tone. She turned to look at him only to be greeted by an almost puzzled expression.

“Are you really so naive?” He was the epitome of every adolescent girl’s tall, dark and handsome fantasy. Plus he was the starting quarterback on the football team. Definitely a perfect fantasy. Not mine of course, she sternly told herself.

“Come on Lois. It’s just for charity, and there’s no real kissing going on.”

“That’s what you think,” she mumbled flashing back to their stumble and lip-mingle.

“What do you mean, Lois,” he questioned.

“Uh, just ... some of those kindergarten girls looked rather star-struck as they ran off giggling.”

“So, you were watching?” he pointed out, grinning and raising his eyebrows.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."