Tuesday

Kissing Booth

When did that go up? Lois wondered.

She tipped her head to one side and gave a slight smile then casually wandered in the direction of the large red and white striped canopy. She pretended to get distracted by a basketball shooting game but her eyes flicked back over again. Setting off once more, but not letting it seem like she was directly aiming for the booth she again stopped at another stall and handed over a dollar so she could attempt to throw some darts at some playing cards. Her aim was lousy, but she blamed that on the ever-present distraction of the kissing booth.

Eventually, giving up all pretence of not being interested, she strode directly up to the stall and bluntly asked what it was all about.

“So, what is this? Are all the football jocks hoping to score with multiple women?”

“No miss,” came the young Crows reply. “It’s for charity.” He pointed to a sign on the left and she sidled over to take a look.

Kissing Booth

$1 per kiss

Smooch a Smallville Crow and help save the Dodo.
Lois put her hands on her hips and twirled round, striding back to the young footballer.

“I know you jocks are all brawn and no brain but I’m sure even you know that the Dodo is already extinct.”

“It’s just supposed to be a joke miss. It’s for animals in general.”

“Oh ... Ok,” Lois blinked and stepped back. “Good for you,” she nodded authoritatively.

“Uh, scuze me,” she heard from behind her and turned around to see a young girl looking up at her. She looked to be about twelve years old. “Are you waiting in line?”

“For this?” Lois chuckled in surprise. “You must be kidding me,” and she stepped away. The young girl rushed forward and grinned up at the football player then handed over her dollar. Lois couldn’t help but watch as the young man dipped his head to reach over the small counter and the young girl lifted on her tiptoes to reach up. Their lips met and then the guy pulled away very quickly.

Lois smiled to herself. What a gentleman. Just right. As she saw the schoolgirl-crush grin on the young girl’s face when she walked away Lois actually found a little respect for the football Jock.

“So,” she strolled back over. “When’s it Smallville’s turn?” A confused look on the lad’s face made her laugh. “I mean Clark Kent.”

“Um, I not sure. Not all the players are taking part.”

“Now that’s a bit unfair. Everyone should take turns.”

“Some of the guys begged off with homework, or chores.”

“Chores, eh!” Lois tutted. That was Smallville’s excuse for soooo many things. Chicken, she thought.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois found Clark in the barn, stacking hay. Boy was he strong. She stopped and admired the muscles for a moment, raising one eyebrow and nibbling her lip. After a moment she shook herself off and then strode forwards.

Chores! She tutted again. I knew it.

“Smallville,” she shouted aggressively and he turned round, dropping the bale of hay with a whoump.

“Lois, don’t you have a volume dial? Does everything have to be at top decibel level?”

“Don’t start with me. How come you’re not doing your duty by your team mates? I can’t believe you’re such a chicken.”

“What are you on about, Lois.” He shook his head at her looking utterly confused.

“The Kissing Booth at the fair. Why are you not on the rota?”

Clark widened his eyes and looked at her in utter shock. “You,” he chuckled, “You want me to sign up to the Kissing Booth?”

“Don’t have a cow, farm-boy. It’s for charity and it’s perfectly decent.”

“This might shock you Lois, but I’m already signed up ... every night at 7pm, once my chores are finished.”

Lois felt her mouth drop open. “Every night!” she squeaked.

He nodded back at her. “All week,” he drawled.

“Good for you, Smallville,” she regained her control and sent him a parting jibe. “Just try not to catch too many cooties kissing all those ten year old girls.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois peered round the side of the food stand. It gave a perfect view of the Kissing Booth. Morbid curiosity had prompted her to go to the fairground along with Clark but she’d split from him the moment they arrived feigning lack of interest in the reason for him being there. After less than a minute had passed she’d made her way towards the booth then found a good spot for her voyeurism.

She watched in delight as the first young girl approached the booth and handed over her dollar. Clark lent over the counter and gave her a chaste kiss. She walked away with a massive grin on her face. It was less than a minute later when the next one approached. Lois narrowed her eyes a little when she saw Clark’s encouraging smile.

Don’t let it go to your head, farm-boy, she thought.

As time went on Lois began to get hungry. I knew I should have had a second helping of Mrs K’s apple pie. She walked round to the other side of the food stand and was shocked to see a massive line. When her stomach gave a gigantic growl she resigned herself to the wait.

Unfortunately the view of the Kissing Booth was now blocked by the food stand and she tapped her foot impatiently. Crossing her arms over her chest she muttered under her breath. I’m probably missing all the good stuff. Smallville’s sure to have suffered some terrible embarrassment and I wasn’t there to see it.

When she finally handed over her coins and received a hot-dog and a coffee in return she quickly checked her watch for the time.

7:30 Argh. I bet his shift is over now. She grumbled. Just a couple of steps back round the side of the stand and she had view of the Kissing Booth once more.

Just about to take her first bite of the hot-dog she paused in shock. Her mouth was half open and the food was poised at her lips but she didn’t notice. All she could think about was the massive crowd round the Kissing Booth.

That can’t be for Smallville. She blinked herself out of her shock when sauce dripped from the edge of the hotdog and landed on her chin. Taking an aggressive bite she strode forwards, elbowing through the crowd.

“Hey!” came an annoyed voice from behind. “Wait your turn.”

Lois stopped and swivelled round. She took another bite and put one hand on her hip. “I’m not here to steal kisses, don’t get all het up. Just checking out the talent that drew this crowd.” Turning away she started to push forwards again only to stop when a head of black wavy hair appeared above all others. Whoever had been leaning over for the kiss had straightened.

Lois’s mouth dropped open again.

It is Smallville.

She turned away quickly and escaped the crush in a rush. Heart pounding she made it back to her sweet spot for watching and lent against the food stall. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.

God, what if he’d seen me? He would have thought I was in line for a kiss. Urgh! She opened her eyes, stuck out her tongue and shook her head.

As she continued to nibble on her hot dog she scrutinised the waiting girls. Although girls was no longer the correct term. Evening had worn on and the average age of the punters was rising. The twelve year olds had been replaced by tight jeans - low top wearing - floozies. Poor Smallville, she thought, her eyebrows knitting together in a worried frown, he’ll never know how to cope with these vipers. Such a sweet, naive boy.

She laughed and grinned happily. Great.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments thread

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."