The bright flash of light vanished around her, and Lois found herself somewhere in downtown Metropolis.

She had vague memories of her adventure, though more than when she had first accidentally put on the ring and had seen the destruction Zod would have brought to Earth. Perhaps she was adjusting to the forces of time travel? Whatever the reason, she recalled Clark in the Phantom Zone, and knew she had spent a cursory amount of time with Clark in the past. The details were fuzzy, but it was enough to make her hope that she had landed in the right time, at last.

She wondered what had happened to Clark. She had a vague memory of him abandoning her… but she just hoped that it meant he had made it back to Earth, and that he was all right.

Lois started walking out of the alleyway, trying to get her bearings to find her way to Watchtower. She headed towards what looked like a main street, seeing several cars pass by. She got the feeling that she wasn’t in the best part of town. But she didn’t have her cell phone or her purse with her. She just hoped she’d make it out of there without any trouble.

As she rounded the corner, she spotted Watchtower overlooking the city and let out a relieved sigh. She was tired, and her ankle was still quite sore, but Watchtower was a welcome sight.

She started walking faster, sensing she was heading into the downtown area and therefore into safety, surrounded by more people.

At last, Lois reached Watchtower. She was able to access the building with her code and body scan, which was as clear a sign as any that she was back to her own time.

Relief filled her as she entered the main doors.
“Chloe?” she called. When no one answered, Lois went to the storage cabinet to pull out Chloe’s emergency cell phone. The battery was run down, and Lois had to search a few minutes to find the charger.

She plugged in the phone and immediately called her cousin.

“Chloe, it’s Lois.”

“Lois!” Chloe cried on the other end. “I’ve been trying to reach you all day! Where have you been?”

“It’s a long story—I put on the Legion ring. I was trying to get to the future, to see if the Legion could help with Brainiac – I ended up with Clark instead. But Chloe, I think he came back to Earth. I—“ Lois got out in a rush.

“He did, Lois,” Chloe said excitedly. “Clark showed up last night and John Jones called me when he found him.”

“Found him? Is he all right?” Lois asked, immediately worried.

“Physically, yeah. But Lois – he’s lost his memory. I’m at the farm now. I brought him here thinking it would help.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can, Chloe.”

“I figured you would be. He’s sleeping already though.”

“It doesn’t matter… I want to be there when he wakes up.”

“Okay. I’ll leave the porch light on for you.”

~\S/~

Lois was once again thankful for her keyless entry car that was still in the garage at the Planet. She never could keep track of things like keys.

She quickly headed out of town, popping in her favorite Whitesnake CD, feeling a bit better knowing that at least Clark had returned.

It was close to two in the morning when Lois arrived at the Kent farmhouse. Lois quietly came in the kitchen, the house practically silent, as she assumed both its inhabitants were sound asleep.

Lois slipped off her shoes and climbed the stairs as softly as she could. She was uncertain what she’d do exactly, only knowing that she needed to see him. She needed to know that he was here, in her time, and safe.

The door to his room was open, just a crack. She stepped inside, and felt her breath release. Clark was there, sleeping, his back towards her.
Just knowing he was there, made her feel marginally better.

But his memory…

He was back physically, but how long until she had her Clark back, the one she remembered and longed for? The one that teased her at the office, and snuck into her apartment to wake her with kisses? But she knew this was no time to worry about her feelings. The important thing was getting Clark back to normal.

He must feel like a stranger here. How was it that he was even asleep? Or did the lack of memories make it easier for him? The farmhouse was still and peaceful, with no sound but the crickets from the open window. Even feeling like a stranger in your own home, the Kent farmhouse had a way of soothing even the most distraught soul.

Lois resisted the urge to go over to the bed and touch him. How she longed to be held in his arms, to find a way to tell him about all that she has learned over the last three years… despite the reticence she felt at disclosing exactly how doggedly she had pursued as much as she could about him. Would he be angry with her for prying, or would her understanding bring them together?

She turned away with a sigh and headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed. She was exhausted after all she had been through. She felt what must be the equivalent of time travel jetlag. Just how long had she been in the Phantom Zone and with the other Clark from the past?

It was all so confusing … though not as confusing as it must be for Clark, here now, with no memory. As Lois brushed her teeth, she thought how difficult it will be for him, to start from scratch. How even getting around the farmhouse must be a new experience for him.

Her cheeks flushed red as a memory suddenly hit her, when Clark had first shown her around the Kent house.

“Knock before you enter, since there is only one up here,” Clark said, turning on the bathroom light so she could see the amenities.

“Why, Smallville? Afraid I’ll catch you in you in the buff?” she teased, leaning against the door frame, her arms crossed.

He ignored her statement as he backed them both out of the bathroom and reached into the hall closet for extra towels. “Since we both have to get up early, I’ll go first as I’ll be faster,” he said, handing her two towels.

“Ha!” she laughed. “So much for country manners and ‘ladies first.’”

“Lois,” he whined. “I’m trying to be fair,” he said, gesturing for her to follow him into what used to be his room.

She inspected the room, tossing the towels on the edge of the bed. Suddenly she noticed a nightlight on the wall, marched right over, and yanked it out of its socket. “Elmer Fudd? Really, Clark? Haven’t you outgrown nightlights? Or do you still get scared of the dark?” she teased, waving the offending lamp in his face.

He reached for it, and she lifted it up in the air. “I’ve had that since I was five. It’s just a childhood keepsake. Now give it back! It’s a collectable!”

“Clark needs a nightlight!” she laughed in a singsong voice, still trying to keep it out of his reach.

Suddenly, he reached for her waist, tickling her as he spun her around in his arms. “Give it back, Lois!”

She started laughing uncontrollably, sinking to the floor and pulling Clark down with her. “I’m sorry! I give up! Take the stupid nightlight!” she conceded in between cries of mirth. “Stop tickling me!”

Somehow, they ended up on the floor. Clark was leaning over her, both of them trying to catch their breath from the tickling and laughter. What had started out as harmless play, abruptly took another turn, as Lois looked up at Clark above her. Her laughter died in an instant as they both realized they weren’t kids playing a game, and definitely not sibling rivals.

“Here. Take it,” she offered softly, her eyes still locked onto his.

Snatching the nightlight out of her hand, Clark suddenly jumped up.

“See you tomorrow, Lois,” he said quickly, not looking at her. ” You can have the bathroom at 8:30.”

She watched as he disappeared down the stairs, her heart still racing. “’Night… Smallville.”

She missed those days, and she missed the ones when they became more than friends.

She simply had missed him.

And no matter how long it took, she would stick by his side until his memory came back.

They had a lot of unfinished business to take care of…

~\S/~

Clark woke up in the middle of the night, breathing heavily. He felt like he had been running… but in his sleep? He closed his eyes and tried to remember the last vestiges of his dream.

Who was Zod?

Had it been more than just a dream, perhaps a memory locked in his brain? Desperate to know more, he got out of bed and turned on the light. He started searching for paper and a pencil in the nightstand. Finding none, he turned, looking for another possibility. When his searching eyes concentrated on the wardrobe, he suddenly could see through it. Clark stepped back, shook his head, and then looked at the wardrobe again. No mistaking it. Somehow, he could see through the solid object.

More anxious than before, Clark started digging through drawers, searching for a pad and paper. He finally found some at the top of the wardrobe and began sketching the few details that remained of his dream.

War?

Zod… a general perhaps?

Me… some sort of leader?

Was he some military experiment gone awry? Was that why he could see through solid objects? Clark was almost panicking now, wondering if Chloe knew this about him. Wouldn’t she be scared of him if she did know?

There were too many questions to sort through tonight. He couldn’t conjure any memories other than vague ideas and a few names…

But seeing through a solid object? How had that happened?

Clark sat on the bed, raking his fingers through his hair in dismay.

He felt so lost, confused. He had too many questions, and he wasn’t sure Chloe would give him the answers he needed. She had seemed hesitant tonight, and again he wondered about how he had become this way.

Clark felt restless. He glanced at the clock. It was almost 3 in the morning… perhaps if he went to the kitchen and got a glass of water he could calm down enough to get back to sleep.

Clark headed down to the kitchen, trying to keep a light foot on the stairs, so as not to wake Chloe. He didn’t want to face her right now, too perplexed and distraught.

As Clark came into the kitchen, he saw a tall brunette woman, standing in front of a halo of light from the open refrigerator. She looked like an angel. Her hair was loose and wavy around her shoulders. She wore a large red t-shirt that went halfway down her thighs. Clark’s mouth suddenly went dry and he completely forgot about what had gotten him out of bed in the first place.

“Uh,” he said vaguely.

The woman jumped and spun around.

“Clark!” she said in surprise. She shut the door, and leaned against it. She looked as if it was the only thing keeping her upright.

“Do I know you?” he strangled out, confused by the expression on her face, which was close to tears, but also a sweet hope that he didn’t at all understand. All he knew was that he didn’t want to upset her.

She nodded. “Yeah,” she whispered. “I’m Lois. Lois Lane,” she said, and smiled demurely.

That smile hit him in the chest, until she laughed. Her laugh went straight to his heart.
“What’s so funny?” he couldn’t help asking.

She shook her head, “It’s just – this was how we met. I mean – sort of. You were,” she gestured towards him, standing in his boxers and a t-shirt, trying to explain. “Well, naked, actually. You were in a field and couldn’t remember who you were and, uh – oh Clark, I just can’t believe this is happening,” she finished abruptly. Her hand went to her mouth in dismay, and in the moonlit kitchen, he thought he could see tears in her eyes.

“What? What’s happening?” he asked, coming closer to her, wanting to offer her comfort, but unsure how.

She moved to lean against a counter and crossed her arms, her long bare legs crossed at her feet. “It’s been so long… and I know you don’t remember anything. And I have no way of explaining it to you, but I – I guess I’m just glad you’re back, Smallville,” she said, with an attempt at a smile.

“Smallville? Isn’t that the name of the town?” he asked, confused.

She nodded, “Yeah, but you’re sort of my Smallville, Smallville,” she said quietly. “And the truth is, this town hasn’t been the same since you left either.”

He came closer to her. They stood in the dark kitchen, a full moon casting a comfortable glow in the room. Lois had her arms wrapped tight around her, as if protecting herself from something. He had the urge to reach out to her, but he resisted.

“So… we knew each other before?” he began tentatively.

“Yeah. We were – partners. And friends…. And—“ she hesitated, glancing at him.

“And?” he prodded, mesmerized by her soft eyes in the moonlight, shiny with unspent tears.

“We dated,” she finally admitted.

One tear was ripe in the corner of her eye, and suddenly slid down her cheek.

She wiped it away with the cotton sleeve of her shirt. “I’m sorry. I’m not usually this emotional. It’s just—been a very long day, and you’re here, but—“

He decided not to over think it, but let instinct lead him and took her in his arms. Holding her felt right and good. Her arms went around his waist and she tucked her head under his chin. He felt his t-shirt dampen with her tears.

“I’ve missed you, so much,” she whispered, squeezing him tighter. “So much…”

Clark felt something for this woman, though he couldn’t summon a single memory of her. Had they been lovers or just casual dating partners? Had they been close before or had she realized her feelings after he left?

He felt awkward, not knowing their history. So he simply held her. Taking comfort in holding her slim body in his arms, smelling her strawberry shampoo.

Eventually she stopped crying and stepped out of his arms. “Do you remember me at all?” she asked, seemingly reluctant to let him go, as her hands rested on his upper arms.

He wanted to, more than anything. He searched within him, desperate to conjure a memory of her, any memory at all, but came up blank.

He shook his head sadly. “No, but I—want to,” he finished lamely.

She nodded, stepping away from him, her arms wrapping around herself once more. “Well, give it time,” she said bravely. “It’s late. We’re both tired, right?”

He nodded, “Yeah.”

He turned and saw there was a blanket and pillow set up on the sofa. She was sleeping down here?

“Look, why don’t you take the room upstairs and I’ll sleep on the sofa,” he offered. Not sure why, except that it just seemed wrong that she should have to sleep there.

“It’s not a big deal, Smallville. I’ve survived the Kent sofa before,” she said gamely, heading over to the sofa to claim it. “Really, I’m fine down here.”

“No, please, Lois. I insist. Take the bed upstairs. I’ll feel better if you do.”

She hesitated a moment, biting her lip in a very adorable way. “Well, if you insist. Okay.”

He watched her leave as she headed towards the stairs. She turned on the landing, a shy smile on her face. “Goodnight, Smallivlle.”

“Goodnight.”

Her smile beamed brighter, just before she turned to head off to bed.

Clark lay down on the sofa, and shifted a few times to try and find a comfortable spot. The pillow smelled of Lois, her shampoo and that essence of her that seemed familiar even as he couldn’t place a memory of her.

Knowing she was here was comforting though.

He couldn’t remember her, and couldn’t remember how deep their relationship had been.

But despite the memory loss, there was something true about what he felt as he drifted off to sleep.

Somehow, he thought he loved her.

~\S/~

They were supposed to be like brothers.

But Zod had proved to be a tyrant.

Clark stood facing him, the other rebels he had assembled over the last few months surrounding him.

“We could have ruled together, Kal-El. Had you seen things my way,” Zod taunted, pulling out a long knife from his belt.

“I never wanted to rule, Zod. But you have turned our people into slaves, fearing your wrath. And I will not stand for it!”

Clark had been learning how to fight without his powers over the last few months, seeing that within a few weeks Zod would never keep his word of peace for their people.

Michel, one of the rebels, tossed Clark a sword as Zod began to circle him. “It ends here, Zod!”

They fought for what seemed like hours, endlessly circling each other, wounding each other, taunting each other.

“I should have ended this on Earth,” Zod said, throwing down his sword, a move which puzzled Clark. Zod came towards him to stand face to face, while Clark’s sword remained still in his hand, at his side.

Zod was practically nose to nose with Clark, and his lips curled in a sinister smile. “I know you don’t have it in you to kill me, Kal-El. And as much as I’d like to, I know that killing you would only fuel your peasant followers’ anger,” he said, dismissively waving his hand at the group that looked on, waiting to see if they should intervene. “So, I will send you away, where every day you can live to curse my name and wonder if it could have been different between us.”

Zod abruptly stepped away from Clark and held up a Phantom Zone bracelet, instantly creating a whirlpool of energy between them. “Good-bye, son of Jor-El!”

Clark could feel the vortex sucking him in. He thought quickly about what he could do, remembering that there were ways out of the Phantom Zone, and that all would not be lost. But if Zod stayed here, he would destroy the Kandorians, and destroy New Krypton.

In a rush, Clark ran at Zod, shoving him towards the vortex which suddenly grew stronger and smaller as the bracelet clattered out of Zod’s hand. Clark hurled Zod towards the gate, but Zod clutched Clark’s shirt, pulling him with him into the Phantom Zone, lost to New Krypton forever...

~\S/~

Kara was getting weaker by the moment.

The kryptonite cage Luthor had put her in was just strong enough to contain her, and to keep her in a constant state of painful nausea. She stood in its center, trying to keep away from the bars, which radiated the poison.

How long had she been there? She had woken up in the cage, ill from the green meteor rock, and disoriented. She only remembered being arrested in her home, and then the green rock, coming out of nowhere…

A door opened somewhere behind her. She turned, and then stilled as Luthor entered the room.

“It took all the best men of Domestic Security to learn your secrets, Ms. Danvers. But I can see their studies have paid off,” he said, tucking his hands into his pockets. “I’ve asked myself why one of my staff would betray me, talk about me behind my back, and conspire with the press to take me down, and I can’t come up with a logical answer… except that you aren’t from around here, are you, Ms. Danvers?”

“Let me go, and I’ll tell you all you want to know,” she said through clenched teeth, feeling the urge to drop to her knees from the kryptonite.

“No, I think that would be very foolish, considering all I’ve learned that you are capable of. So tell me, when does your army arrive? I would be within my right to kill you for treason – for betraying the human race.”

“I’ve not done anything against the humans. You are the one endangering them with your nuclear arms race!”

Lex clucked his tongue, shaking his head as if talking to a recalcitrant child. “My only goal is to protect the Earth. Which is precisely why I had you arrested.”

Kara could feel the kryptonite, poisoning her by the second. She would pass out at any moment, but she had to stay coherent through this exchange. She wouldn’t let Lex defeat her.

“You are being controlled by an alien technology,” she said slowly, deliberately, feeling dizzier by the second. “It’s not me who should be in this cage.”

He looked at her, bland amusement on his face. “Pray tell. What is this alien technology?”

“Your Secretary of Defense, Ryan Teague,” she said, just before the nausea became too much, and she fell to her knees. “He will destroy this planet.”

Lex came closer to the cage, a look of smugness on his face as he squatted down to her level. “Now why should I believe you, when you’re from an alien planet yourself?”

Kara looked up at him, her eyes pleading that something of the humanity that was once in him was still there. “You once trusted me, Lex. I saved you, remember?”

He stood up, shaking his head. “That was another lifetime, thankfully wiped out.” He started walking to the exit. “I will find out what you’re planning, Ms. Danvers. No one keeps secrets from me.”

Kara watched him leave, feeling weaker by the moment. The House of El crystal was still tucked under her collar and she pulled it out, caressing the ‘S’ on it.

“Jor-El,” she whispered, weakening by the second. “I need your help…”

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink