Then there was a short but chaotic interlude, ending with Jason and Lois strapped into the car, Lois headed toward Ben Hubbard's daughter's house. Perry observed with interest that Jason still would not talk to him, and had not made any gesture of goodbye, even though the boy had hugged Martha fiercely. Obviously the child still felt somewhat in awe and fear of Perry, perhaps associating the editor with all the chaos that had surrounded his life since the unfortunate dinner at the White family house. Being avoided and feared like that, even if it was only by a five-year-old, gave Perry a new appreciation of why Clark Kent guarded his human identity so assiduously. It wasn't fun to think that you could scare someone, just by existing.

After Jason and Lois left, Martha guided Perry and Richard back to the kitchen table. "I'm going to put you gentlemen to work," she said. "I have fresh cherries for the pie – but they need to be pitted. And I just happen to have two cherry pitters…."

Richard gave her a look of amazement. "They make a tool for pitting cherries?"

Martha returned his look with equal incredulity. Perry burst out laughing. "Not everyone is culinarily challenged like Lois," he managed to choke out. "And not everyone grows up with a chef. Yes, Richard. They do make cherry pitters. In fact, there's a whole line of cooking implements that you've probably never heard of. Garlic pressers….apple corers…"

Martha laughed too, and Perry realized he'd managed to pre-empt what might have been an incredulous reply. "Well, if you two can start on the cherries…." She showed Richard how to adjust the cherry in the device for easy pitting, and set out a bowl for the cherries and a bowl for the stones. "Perry?"

"No need, Martha," Perry said. "My youth was not totally misspent. I can pit cherries."

"Since Jason managed to eat about a quarter of the pastry, despite my best efforts…." Martha checked the tiny pastry ball that cowered in the bottom of her mixing bowl, dwarfed by the bowl's high sides. "….I'd better make some more pastry."

The three settled into their tasks. There was something rather fulfilling about this, sitting and working on a mindless yet comforting task while the odors of pot roast and vegetables slowly filled the room.

"Martha," Richard began.

"Yes?"

"Can I give you something?"

Martha raised an eyebrow. "Sure."

Richard got up, went outdoors. Perry heard the door of their rental car open and close. Richard came in, carrying what Perry recognized as a lead-lined film bag. He handed it to Martha.

Martha opened it, blanched, and closed it quickly.

"Thank you, Richard," she said evenly. "Is there a story behind this?"

"Clark and I were at the fence line…" Richard began. Perry listened with interest as his nephew told the story that Perry had heard previously. "I didn't want to bring it in the house with Clark and Jason here. I figured you would know what to do with it."

The worry lines smoothed from Martha's face as she listened to Richard. "Thank you," she repeated. She left the room, carrying the bag. Perry raised a questioning eyebrow at his nephew.

"Tell you later," Richard muttered.

Martha's return to the kitchen coincided with Lois pulling up in the drive, back from her errand to take Jason to his sleepover. Once again, they were all ensconced in the comfortable kitchen, making quiet conversation over cups of coffee.

Martha told numerous "early Clark" stories, Clark's adventures before he officially donned the Suit and became Superman. Lois interjected frequently, her normally tense face becoming vivacious as she remembered the unusual happenings of her youth.

Perry listened, fascinated. It must have been a relief for Martha – finally! – to be able to talk about some of the things she'd dealt with. Perry knew well the pressure of a secret untold. He looked at his nephew and saw that Richard was equally engrossed. But this didn't stop Richard from eyeing Lois at intervals with a questioning gaze.

"So you knew about Clark since high school?" Richard asked Lois, interested.

"He wasn't quite as good as covering up his saves then," Lois agreed. By unspoken consent, none of them mentioned the Kryptonian masking technology. "He slipped a few times. When I saw him catch a crashing car – in midair – I realized Clark Kent was a little different."

"That must have been interesting," Richard murmured, and settled back in his seat. Perry noticed that the younger man remained quiet as Martha and Lois gradually settled into a two-sided conversation of "remember when?", "I can't believe it happened that way", and "If it weren't for Clark saving me…."

Perry almost wished he hadn't given his word of confidentiality – some of the stories were dynamite. And he had a feeling that Lois and Martha were censoring some of their tales – there was a mention of the Green Arrow, and Lois zoomed away from that topic at a hundred miles an hour. Perry stared into his coffee cup, wondering just how much Lois knew - now that she had her full memory back - about the metahuman community. Specifically the superhero portion of the metahuman community. He knew better than to ask her outright, though.

The afternoon passed quickly. When Martha began bustling around the kitchen once again, Perry asked if there was time for him to take a short walk.

"Dinner will be ready in about half an hour," Martha said.

"OK, then. Richard and I are going for a walk."

"We are?" Richard asked. Perry shot him a look. "Oh. We are." He got up, cleared his coffee cup. "See you soon."

The two men exited the farmhouse.

"The story you told," Perry began, "that's not quite what I heard from Clark."

A quizzical look from Richard.

"He said that he gave you the kryptonite to keep on hand."

Understanding flooded Richard's face. "He did." Richard braced his shoulders. "Perry, when I was out there with Clark….I was busy worrying. What was he going to do? What was Lois going to do?"

Perry kept on walking, giving his nephew a chance to speak.

"And then, that kryptonite fell from the gravel truck, and Clark was on the ground."

"Uh-huh." Non-committal.

Richard stopped walking, turned to face Perry. "And Perry, right then, seeing Clark at my mercy, I realized something."

"Yes?"

"I shouldn't be worrying about what Clark was going to do, or what Lois can do. I should worry about what I'm going to do." Richard nodded his head. "I thought about it then. I could choose to let Clark lay there, maybe even die. I've seen him affected by kryptonite before, when Lex Luthor stabbed him. I know that stuff can kill him."

Perry remained silent.

"And I chose to do what I could do to help," Richard said softly. "I could have a lot of resentment about what they did, the lies they told….in fact, I still do." A moment of silence, then Richard said firmly, "But I decided to choose to act the right way, act in a way that I could look back on later with no regrets. I can't control their actions, but I can control mine."

Perry nodded.

Richard went on. "And, maybe he is the Man of Steel, and he can move mountains, and all that. But Jason is my son. I love him." Richard inhaled deeply. "And, against that, even Superman must give way."

"So?"

"It was weird, Perry. I had this strange confidence. In fact, I still do," Richard confessed. "I'm not afraid anymore. I don't need kryptonite to protect myself. Clark will respect me. We'll work something out."

"And Lois?"

Richard sighed deeply. "I could see it this afternoon. She was right." He sighed again. "I only knew half of Lois Lane. All the history she has with Clark….I saw it in the newsroom, even before she got her memory back. The passion she has for her work…she never showed that with me." Regret filled his voice. "How can I ask her to be less than she is?"

Perry nodded. He knew what Richard meant.

"I think I'm going to ask you – officially, you know – to transfer me to Gotham City," Richard said musingly. "I don't think I'll be able to be in the newsroom with Lois and Clark."

Perry nodded again. Inwardly he gave a sigh of relief. It was unworthy, but at least this way the problem (this particular problem, anyway), in his newsroom would be solved.

"At least for awhile."

"And Jason?"

"Visitation, you mean?" Richard laughed lightly. "Hey, with Superman on our side, travel is the least of our worries."

Perry chuckled too. In silent agreement, the two men turned back to the Kent farmhouse. A motion out of the corner of Perry's eye caught his attention. He turned just in time to see Superman descending from the air, landing behind the barn. A second later, Clark, dressed in jeans and flannel shirt, came jogging to meet them.

"Hey," Clark said.

Perry and Richard shrugged. "Hey," they replied. Perry felt he should say something more. "How was San Francisco?"

Clark looked down. "Oh, the usual." His voice was grim. "Am I in time for dinner?"

"I think your mother delayed it a bit," Perry said, biting off a grin. "We're just headed back inside."

They opened the door to the delicious smell of pot roast and fruit pies. Martha and Lois looked up, smiled. Perry found it interesting that Lois smiled with the same intensity for both Richard and Clark. She had a different smile for himself, a less romantic one.

"Glad you could make it back, Clark," Martha said.

Clark nodded. "I made an extra effort." The group sat at the table.

Later, Perry remembered that conversation as the start of Clark and Lois' new life. Richard and Lois sprang right into discussion of Jason's custody, the discussion lasting throughout dinner, dessert, and into coffee. Martha and Perry sat back and witnessed, their presence serving to moderate any intemperate reactions. Perry found it interesting that Clark, on the most part, sided with Richard.

"Weekends?" probed Lois.

"Every other," Richard said firmly.

"A day during the week?" inserted Clark.

"No," Richard and Lois said simultaneously. They exchanged a surprised look at their agreement.

"Jason has school – " Lois began.

"I've been bringing him back and forth every day all the time he's been here in Smallville," Clark said calmly. "It's not like it's a big deal."

Richard looked bemused. "How'd you do that?"

"Well, you know…." Clark said, making a wavy flying-motion gesture with his hands.

"No, what I meant was, why did the school let you pick him up? You're not on the list….right?"

Clark turned his head away, abashed. "I forged Lois' signature on the approved caretaker list."

Richard stared.

"Well, you were in the hospital, and Lois was…." Clark trailed off.

A smile crept across Richard's face. "Superman? A forger?" He chuckled. "There's got to be some good blackmail material in that." He met Clark's gaze and suddenly the two men were laughing.

"No. Not a day during the week," Richard said, "because I want Jason for summers."

"Not the whole summer," Lois said, and this time Martha echoed her.

Richard caught Martha's anxious gaze and his face softened. "At least a month," he said.

Lois looked at Clark. "At least a month," the big man agreed, "but he gets to spend at least a month here in Smallville, too."

"Perry?" Lois asked.

"What are you asking me for?" Perry barked, concealing his inner amusement. "I'm not involved. I'm staying out of this. Totally."

"Oh?" Lois asked.

"All right, Lois, you can bring him in the newsroom in the afternoons. The kid's got some promise," Perry allowed. His inner Pit Bull couldn't resist the chance to see how Clark would bond with his newly discovered son. And, what with Lois being so engrossed in her stories, and Clark having his "other job", Perry figured that once in awhile, Uncle Perry might get the child care duty. To which he was not totally opposed.

"And you'll tell him about his parentage," Richard said, suddenly serious.

"I will," Clark said, "but not yet."

Richard and Perry raised their brows. Lois didn't – obviously they'd talked about this before.

"He'll need to know soon, when the powers start coming in," Clark began. "From what Lois said, he's already manifested some strength. But that was probably a fluke. I didn't start showing signs till I was eight or so." Once again, he looked away. "Jason should get settled in….the new situation, before we start throwing more stuff at him."

"What's he going to end up like?" Perry asked, curious. The atmosphere was just informal enough that he could ask that question.

Clark sighed. "I have absolutely no idea."

Martha reached over and took Clark's hand. "We had absolutely no idea, either," she began, "and a lot less knowledge than you have right now." She smiled wistfully. "But I think Clark turned out OK, didn't you?"

Perry had to nod. "I guess so."

Everyone at the table went silent for a moment. Martha jumped up. "I'd better get going on the dishes…."

Richard got up at the same time. "Lois, can I speak with you outside? We need to settle some things."

Lois nodded.

Clark got up too. "Mom, I'll get the dishes. You just relax."

Richard and Lois walked out the door. Lois looked back at Clark and said, "You might want to take a long time doing those dishes."

Clark took the hint. "OK." He began clearing the table.

Pangs of conscience assaulted Perry, and he said, "Oh, heck. Martha, you cooked a great dinner. The least I can do is help with the dishes."

Before Martha could protest that Perry was a guest, Clark jumped in. "That's great, Perry. I'll wash. You can dry."

"I've got a better idea," Perry said. "You know where everything goes. I'll wash. You dry."

Clark weighed his options, and not surprisingly, obeyed his editor. "You got it."

The domestic tasks soothed Perry, but not as much as having his nephew at peace with himself. Perry knew what a struggle it was to live with resentment. It poisoned one's days, left one lying awake at night. Richard had moved past that now.

"Richard asked for a transfer to Gotham City," Perry said, out of the blue.

"He doesn't have to do that," Clark responded. Martha, Perry noticed, said nothing. He thought that she might approve of Richard being farther away from Lois.

Perry thought about asking Clark what Lois and Richard were talking about, then chided himself. Why would he assume that Clark would eavesdrop on an intimate conversation like that? In fact, given Clark's cheerful talk as he dried dishes and put them away, he was probably trying very hard not to listen. And besides, Lois and Richard had been together over five years. There would be myriad details to sort out, from movement of Lois' belongings to division of joint property. As the song went, "Breaking up is hard to do."

Eventually, the dishes were done, Perry and the others had had two more cups of coffee, and Lois and Richard were still outdoors discussing…whatever. Perry caught himself yawning, despite the coffee. It had been a full day.

"I'm going out," he said gruffly. "I need my ride back to the motel."

Clark and Martha made no protest. Perry pushed open the back door and stepped out into the moonlit night.

It took a minute for his eyes to adjust to the dim moonlight before he saw the shapes of Lois and Richard standing by the fence. Perry could see that the taut defensiveness was gone from Lois' posture. The chirping of crickets filled the air, and Perry could hear frogs croaking from the pond a few fields over.

Lois stood to face Richard. She took his left arm in her hands, her figure silhouetted by the half-moon's light. Perry once again saw the ethereal light that was Lois' healing power. Here in the darkness, it shone more brightly, the moonlight mingling its rays with the glowing nimbus. As Perry watched, the glow faded, and Lois dropped her hands. She staggered slightly, and Richard moved to catch her in his arms. There was moment of tense stillness. Then Lois reached up and kissed Richard on the cheek. Perry saw regret, and closure, in that kiss. The two separated.

"They're probably waiting for us," Perry heard his nephew say, the soft voice carrying through the quiet of the farm night.

"Yes," Lois agreed. She took Richard's hand, and together, the two of them headed back inside.

Richard and Perry got ready to leave. "Thank you, Martha, for your hospitality," Perry said seriously. "Best vacation I've had in years."

"That's because it's the only vacation you've had in years," Lois interjected impishly.

"Ignore that," Perry retorted, addressing his comment to Martha. "Our plane leaves early tomorrow morning – we'll meet you back in Metropolis. Lois. Clark." He nodded at the couple.

"Perry," Lois said, and hugged him. Clark shook his hand, then turned, and extended his hand to Richard. With no hesitation, Richard stepped up and shook it. He shook Lois' as well, eschewing any closer display of affection. "It's good to get this worked out," he said quietly. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Clark said. Perry saw how uncomfortable Clark had been with the situation, and how much better he felt now. Lois said nothing; Perry assumed that she and Richard had made their good-byes privately, outdoors.

Richard turned to Martha. "Thank you for everything, Martha – for all you hospitality." He smiled. "And for the best dinner I've had in a long time."

Perry looked at Lois to see if she was insulted but found Lois smiling. Apparently Lois knew her cooking limitations. Praising Martha's cooking was only stating the obvious.

"And thank you for taking care of Jason," Richard said softly. "I can't thank you enough for that."

Martha wiped away a tear. "You don't have to thank me for that, Richard," she said. She stood back, looked Richard straight in the eye. "You raised him well." She stepped forward, enfolded Richard in a hug. "Come back anytime, Richard. You are always welcome at the Kent Farm."

As Perry and Richard drove back to their motel through the quiet night, Richard broke their shared silence.

"I took your advice."

"Um?" Perry asked. He couldn't remember what advice he'd given Richard.

"Clark and I were just sitting there, half in the mud. I'd just thrown away all the kryptonite. He started telling me about the Fortress of Solitude and how his father was an artificial intelligence there, or there was an AI of his father, or whatever," Richard said musingly. "And he started talking about his training there and how the AI had fixed him up with a spaceship to go back to Krypton."

"Uh-huh," Perry said.

"And I asked him to tell me about his father."

Silence.

"What did he say?" Perry asked, finally.

Richard smiled. "He started telling me about Jonathan Kent."