Lois and Clark brought back the carryout dinner, and from the packaging, Perry was sure they'd been to San Francisco to get it. No matter – it was excellent.

Perry remembered the last time they'd all sat together at dinner. That dinner had not been a success, even before Lex Luthor burst in and shot it up. The dinner tonight was a success, and the difference was Martha Kent.

She radiated love and caring, not just for her son and grandson, but for everyone at her dinner table. Whenever Martha looked at Lois, Martha's face softened and she gave a wistful smile. When Martha saw Jason, joy bubbled up, the sense of an unexpected treasure found.

Everyone responded in his or her own way. Clark relaxed, dropped his annoying geek persona, and became the person that Perry had been getting to know – the real man, the combination of Clark Kent and Superman that too often was divided into its component parts. Richard relaxed, and stopped the obsessive rubbing of his left arm where his gunshot wound had been. Lois' abrasiveness and sarcasm was toned down into an acerbic wit, and even Perry felt less curmudgeonly.

Martha called everyone to the table, and led them through a short grace. Perry relaxed and his mouth watered at the appetizing smells emanating from the carryout containers. The adults served themselves, Lois serving Jason, in silence. Jason seemed a little awed by the presence of the adults in his life all at one table, and sat quietly.

After a moment, Martha tossed up the first conversational ball. "So, Richard," she said, "how did you start working at the Daily Planet?"

Richard glanced up in surprise and met Martha's inquiring, non-judgmental gaze. "Well, it's a long story," he began hesitantly.

Martha only nodded.

"Well, um," Richard began. "You probably heard that my parents were killed in a car accident when I was ten."

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Kent said. "No, I hadn't known that."

"It was a long time ago," Richard said. Perry knew Richard's even tone concealed a deep hurt. You never really got over something like that. Richard had told him once that he still had the occasional nightmare about it.

"I didn't know that," Clark murmured.

Lois leaned over and squeezed Richard's hand. She obviously had known it, and knew what it cost Richard to speak of it.

"Anyway," Richard continued, "I went to live with my grandparents – my mother's parents. They were fairly well off, and when my grandmother passed away four years later, my grandfather decided that he was going to travel. So he took me out of school – "

Perry knew that Richard had been in an exclusive boarding school on the East Coast, and still maintained contacts with many fellow students.

" – and we spent the next four years traveling all over the world, mostly hunting. He was quite the big game hunter." Richard shrugged. "He made sure I had a tutor, several tutors, actually, and we spent enough time in various cities that I got quite the dose of culture." He laughed shortly. "So I can order dinner at a restaurant in Paris, and I know the right way to gut a Cape buffalo, too."

Martha nodded approvingly.

"Perry got in touch with me, oh, when I was fifteen or sixteen – "

"I was getting sober then," Perry interjected. "Wanted to contact my family, make amends where I had to."

" – and, since I was overseas so much, he suggested we keep contact via e-mail," Richard said. "And then, being as he's Perry White and works for the Daily Planet" – Richard said the phrases in a pompous tone – "he said, 'Well, why don't you write some articles about your overseas adventures, and I can get Travel to buy them from you as a freelancer.'" Richard chuckled again, turning to look at Lois who was shaking her head.

"Lois knows it isn't that easy to write to Planet standards," he said. "I think Perry didn't even bother sending my articles to Travel for at least the first year."

"The first eighteen months," Perry rumbled, chuckling. "You took a lot of editing."

"A whole lot," Richard agreed. "Anyway, Perry mentored me, and guided me, and gave me suggestions, and basically whipped me into being a good enough writer that I could get published in the Planet."

Clark smiled. "Yeah, me too," he said ruefully. "If I had to hear about not splitting infinitives one more time - "

Perry put on his editorial voice. "Remember, boys, Grammar And Spelling Are Our Friends." The unctuous tones carried their own capitalization.

Everyone laughed. Richard and Clark's gazes met, and this time there was no animosity, no caution. Just shared humor.

"So what happened next?" Martha asked, leaning forward. Perry laughed inwardly. Clark had told him once that his mother was terminally curious, and that she had what Clark called, "The Information Extractor". Like Clark, Perry thought, Martha's curiosity sprang from a deep interest in people, and an actual caring for them. Clark had said that whenever he brought home new friends, his mother knew everything about them and their family within the first thirty minutes of meeting them. Despite splitting her time between Washington and Smallville for years, Martha still knew just about everyone in Smallville, and what was going on with their families. Even when they went to Metropolis, Clark had told Perry, they would almost always run into some acquaintance of Martha's.

And now it looked like Richard was the target of the Information Extractor. Perry had no doubts that she would have Richard's life story out of him in short order. And, he had to concede, Martha had a reason. Richard was the adoptive father of her grandchild. She had to know him.

"When I was eighteen we came back to the States, I went to Princeton, got my degree," Richard continued. "I worked in my grandfather's business for awhile before deciding it wasn't for me." A distant look in his eyes. "I took off for the next couple years, went around the world again, got back in touch with Perry, submitted some more articles to the Planet. Perry put in a good word for me, and I got hired at the European bureau in Milan."

"I opened the door, but you got yourself in, Richard," Perry said, proud of his nephew. "All the languages didn't hurt any."

"Well, yeah," Richard said. "After a few years, I came to Metropolis." He glanced at Lois, gave a more cautious look at Clark. "I saw Lois, and right away, she attracted me." He smiled fondly at a good memory. "It wasn't long before I was officially smitten. One thing led to another, and then Jason came, and well, you know the rest."

Perry saw that Clark had a sad look in his eyes. Was he sorry for what he'd missed?

Martha changed the subject, going back and asking Richard about his years at the Ivy League school he'd attended. Lois chimed in, and then Clark, talking about the differences between Metropolis University (Lois) and Central Kansas University (Clark) versus Richard's educational experience. They segued onto how they'd gotten their jobs at the Daily Planet (Lois, surprisingly, was not the youngest – Perry had started work as a copy boy at the tender age of thirteen under the reign of legendary Editor-In-Chief George Taylor), and drifted into general conversation. They lingered over coffee (and wine for those who chose), with even Jason enjoying the banter, adult level though it was.

By the end of the evening, the awkwardness had worn off Richard talking with Lois and Richard talking with Clark. Certainly, they hadn't addressed the major issues, by mutual unspoken agreement, but at least now Richard could speak with Clark or Lois without flinching away or looking down.

Martha stood, her motion indicating that the dinner was over. "Richard," she said, "do you want to have Jason spend the night with you at the motel?"

Richard, surprised for a moment, said, "What about Perry?"

"Oh, Perry can spend the night here, in Jason's room, right, Perry?" Martha said. At the same time she gave Perry a look that said he would do what she said if he knew what was good for him.

"Ah, sure," Perry replied.

"That would be nice," Richard said.

"It's settled, then," Martha said decisively. "Lois, why don't you and Richard go up with Jason and pack a bag for him?" Lois and Jason got up as well. "And Richard, we'll expect you back here at eight tomorrow morning – Lois and I will be taking Jason out, and you and Clark will be working on the fence line."

Perry raised his eyebrows at Martha's generalship. Richard, Clark, Lois, and Jason all looked a little stunned, but none protested. As Richard and Lois went up the stairs, Jason following, Perry could hear Richard muttering, "What just happened?"

Perry chuckled. Then he thought of something. "My bag is still at the motel – "

"Clark will get your bag," Martha said implacably.

"I will? Oh yes," Clark said, a twinkle in his eye. "If you'll just loan me your key, Perry…."

Perry pulled his keycard out of his pocket and gave it to Clark.

"Back in a minute," Clark said, walking quickly out of the kitchen.

Perry looked accusingly at Martha. In a teasing tone that belied his expression, he said, "You planned this."

"Of course," Martha said equably. She smiled back. "Clark's done so many lunkheaded things in his life….I know it would take him months to work through this. And Richard? I didn't know what he was like before today. I'm just setting up a place and time where they can all talk it out."

Jason, scampering down the stairs, cut off further conversation. Lois and Richard followed, the latter holding a small overnight bag. Clark came in at the same time, carrying Perry's suitcase.

"Perry, about your bag…." Richard began, then caught sight of it in Clark's possession. "Oh. I see you already took care of that." He drew in a breath, looked around. "Thank you for a lovely dinner, Mrs. Kent – Martha," Richard said. "We'll see you back here tomorrow morning." Giving a general wave to the room, he and Jason exited.

Lois sighed. Perry could only imagine the stress she'd been under, the awkwardness, even in the friendly confines of the Kent kitchen.

"We're not done yet," Martha said. "Lois, if you'll help me change the bedding….Clark, do the dishes." Her brisk words left no room for quibbling or defiance.

"All right," the two said in unison, laughing as they realized the simultaneity. Lois and Martha headed back upstairs.

"You want some help with the dishes?" Perry asked, feeling vaguely guilty that everyone around him was working while he sat in lordly indolence.

Clark smiled. "I think I've got it, Perry," he said. A blur and a whoosh, and the table was clean, the leftovers put away, and the plates stacked at the sink.

"Didn't you wash the dishes?" Perry said sarcastically.

"It takes time for water to fill up the sink," Clark replied cheerfully. "Besides, we have a dishwasher – I just have to rinse and load." By the time Lois and Martha returned, the kitchen was in perfect order. Lois went up to Clark and planted a kiss on his lips, and he held her tightly.

"He's good for household chores," Perry said to Martha, indicating Clark.

"Yes, he'll do," Martha said teasingly. "Clark, Lois…."

Clark turned his attention away from Lois and his increasingly deep kisses. "Oh. Mom. Perry. Um, uh…."

"We're going out. On a date." Lois said it firmly. She stepped on Clark's foot.

"Right," Clark said belatedly. "On a date."

"And we're leaving right now," Lois said, stepping on Clark's toe again.

"Right now," Clark repeated, not moving. He seemed engrossed by Lois, unable to speak except to repeat what she said. Perry laughed inside – Richard wasn't the only one who was officially smitten.

"And we're leaving right now," Lois repeated, looking a little annoyed as she pulled Clark's arm and got him moving.

"Right now," Clark mumbled again, holding Lois more closely to himself. Perry chuckled as they stumbled out into the backyard, and a moment later he heard the "whoosh" of Superman taking off.

"They haven't been on a date before?" he asked Martha. "Lois moved in with him…."

She shrugged. "One of them has always been here with Jason, ever since Lois….woke up. And I guess there hasn't been much time otherwise, what with working at the Planet, and Clark's…..other job."

Perry nodded. He also wondered – maybe Lois didn't really want to commit until she knew more about how Richard would react. Tonight's dinner had given her reason to hope that there could be an amicable separation. With typical Lois flair, she'd made her choice and chosen Clark.

"More coffee, Perry?" Martha asked, changing the subject.

"Ah, no thanks." He stood up.

"Why don't I show you your room?" Martha asked. "You can put your suitcase down."

"OK." Perry followed Martha up the stairs to a small room – obviously Clark's once, based on the star-painted ceiling. One red star, amidst all the other white ones, caught his attention.

"Krypton's sun," Martha said, recognizing what Perry looked at. "At least that's where Clark says it's at."

Perry nodded, and suddenly felt very tired. "Martha, if you don't mind, I think I'll turn in early. It's been a long day."

Martha sighed, and for a moment, looked just as tired as Perry felt. "That's fine, Perry. The bathroom is down the hall here – " she pointed. "I've got a few more things to do. Good night," she said, walking away.

"Good night," he replied.