Author's note: This section references events in the movies "Superman II" and "Superman II – The Donner Cut". The last bit of this section is a set-up for the movie "Superman Returns".

Perry sat down, exhausted. He faced a newsroom in a shambles, but now it was an organized shambles. After the rogue Kryptonians and Lex Luthor had stormed in and out looking for Superman, the Daily Planet newsroom was a mess. Tipped-over desks, destroyed computer monitors, and paper strewn everywhere were a travesty of the normally controlled chaos necessary to putting out a paper. That wasn't even counting the broken windows and destroyed masonry – the structural damage done by super-powered aliens with more strength than mercy.

After the Kryptonians left to follow Superman (wherever it was he went, thought Perry) he'd forced himself up. Ignoring his throbbing headache, Perry took control of the frightened reporters, interns, gofers, and staff. Several hours of sharply barked orders, plaintive cajoling, and stepping in himself had whipped the newsroom back into shape.

Yeah, his office walls were still destroyed, the windows were still broken, and the Art Deco masonry of the exterior wall still sported a large hole, but Perry had managed to get the newspaper up and functioning again. They would be able to put out a morning edition.

Now it was late. Almost everyone had gone home; only Tom, the newest assistant editor, stood by at the other end of the newsroom to handle any emergencies. Perry sat down wearily on the couch in his office, trying to ignore his numerous aches. Getting thrown against the wall and losing consciousness was no picnic at his age. He'd already decided to spend a few more hours here, until the day shift came, and then head home and collapse into a jelly.

Right he couldn't relax. One major source of worry was allayed – the Planet would publish tomorrow, no, this morning. But another worry grew larger as time went by. He'd tried to put it out of his mind, and the work had helped. But now that he had time to think, he was almost frantic.

Where was Lois Lane?

The last time Perry saw her, she had been swept up by the large behemoth (Non, his name was, I think) of the rogue Kryptonian group. Her fists pounding on Non's chest made no difference to his stolidity. Then Lois was gone, forcibly taken by the super-powered aliens.

Perry had managed to keep from thinking the worst by staying busy. But now, with the chaos in the Planet under control, and no subordinates present to keep a brave façade in front of, awful scenarios came to mind.

Would they kill Lois? Certainly the leader, Zod, was crazy enough to do so. He wouldn't think twice about it. Perry had seen the cool insanity in his eyes and had shivered back from it. And the woman, Ursa – Lois had slugged her. It hadn't done any good, of course, but now Ursa probably had it in for Lois.

He didn't think the big one, Non, would do anything to Lois without instructions. But if he got instructions….bad things could happen. He thought of Lois damaged, her arms ripped off, her body burned by the Kryptonian heat vision…No. I won't think of it. Perry took several deep breaths and deliberately turned his mind away from other horrors.

He forced himself up and walked stiffly over to the coffeemaker. That was the first thing he'd sent Jimmy Olsen out for. They wouldn't have been able to get the Daily Planet up and running again without coffee, and the aliens had destroyed their old, familiar coffeemakers.

"Another strike against them," Perry muttered. It took awhile to get the coffeemakers properly broken in to producing the paint-remover-type newsroom coffee. These new coffeemakers actually made drinkable coffee.

Perry poured himself a cup, leaned back against his desk, sighing. A cool breeze from outside cooled his sweaty brow. They were fortunate that the alien attack had occurred in late spring, the weather good enough that the broken windows need not be fixed immediately. So far there had not been enough wind coming through the hole in the wall to affect his office. Lowering his head to take a sip, he looked up and gasped.

A figure in red and blue hovered outside.

"Superman," Perry breathed. "You're alive."

The Man of Steel nodded solemnly.

Perry came back to himself. "Come in! Come in!" he gestured. A bubble of happiness began to arise in his heart. Sardonically he added, "The window's open."

That got a tiny smile from Superman. Gathering his cape around him, the tall man floated into Perry's office, landing gently on the floor by Perry's desk.

Perry had to know. "Lois?" he asked urgently.

"She's safe," Superman said quietly. "I took her back to her apartment tonight."

Perry let out a long sigh. "Thank God," he said fervently. He didn't think of doubting Superman. When the Man of Steel talked in that tone, you believed him. "And thank you," Perry added. The tension flowed out and suddenly he felt very tired.

"You're welcome," Superman added, almost automatically, thought Perry. He noticed that Superman's cape was tattered and torn, and that the Suit sported several stains. As for his face, Perry thought that he had never seen the Man of Steel seem wearier.

Looks like he's had a hard day, too, thought Perry. The silence between the two men grew uncomfortable and Superman made as if to take off again.

"You want some coffee, Superman?" Perry blurted out.

Superman turned back, almost surprised-looking. "I'd like that," he said slowly.

Perry turned to pour a cup. Just then, approaching footsteps came to his attention.

"Superman!" said Tom, the assistant editor. "Are you – is everything OK?"

Perry saw the weariness drop away as the Kryptonian squared his shoulders and pasted a confident-looking smile on his face.

"Everything's fine," Superman said in his deep voice.

"That's great!" Tom said, then stood awkwardly. Perry thought he'd wanted to come up and shake Superman's hand, and then remembered that Superman wasn't the kind of guy you did that to.

"Um, I'm getting the interview here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd give us some privacy," Perry heard himself saying. "Can you please go out and keep everyone away?"

Tom seized on the excuse with enthusiasm. "Sure, Perry!" he said. "Get a good interview." He took a step forward and this time actually did shake Superman's hand. Almost dazedly, the Man of Steel gave the assistant editor a firm handshake. "And thank you, Superman!"

"You're welcome, Tom," Superman said. Perry thought he was responding almost automatically. Then Perry caught a quick glimpse of – was it panic? – from the Man of Steel.

"Wow! Superman knows my name!" Tom said, as he left the room under Perry's sharp glance.

After Tom left, Perry turned to Superman. "You know his name?" he asked curiously. After all, Tom was a fairly new hire, and no reporter. He had no byline, no column, no articles.

Superman looked uncomfortable. "I have a special relationship with the Daily Planet," he said.

Enough to know the names of newbie assistant editors? Perry thought cynically. This called for further thought. It was flattering, in a way.

Superman shook Perry out of his thoughts by slumping out of his confident posture. The weariness came back to his face. Perry thought he had never seen Superman look so tired and gray.

Despite his obvious fatigue, the tall man made an effort. "The interview?" the Kryptonian asked with a teasing smile. "So that's why you invited me in?"

Perry gave a small smile back, then sat down tiredly. "Actually, Superman, I just said that to get Tom out of here." Understanding crossed Superman's face. Tom certainly was an acquired taste. That's why Perry had him on the night shift.

Perry continued. "Sure, if you want to give an interview, I'd be grateful. But I'm grateful already for what you've done." He poured a cup of coffee. "So, if you just want to sit a minute and have a cup of coffee, that's OK too." He handed the Man of Tomorrow a freshly poured cup.

Superman, looking surprised, took it. He held it in his hand for a long moment, then sighed and took a long sip. Then he pulled over a chair and sat down, automatically fluffing out his cape as he sat. The flickering motion of the tattered cape edges caught Perry's attention.

I don't think I've ever seen Superman sit down before, Perry thought. He'd certainly never seen him drink coffee, or eat food. This weary-looking tall man was different from the majestic and aloof Son of Krypton. Right now, Perry thought, the Man of Steel looked…almost human. It was reinforced when Superman ran a tired hand though his hair, pushing back the lock that hung over his forehead. A tiny shred of familiarity niggled at Perry's brain…he couldn't place it.

Perry automatically rubbed his own head. His headache wasn't any worse. But it wasn't any better, either.

"Are you all right, Mr. White?" Superman asked, sounding concerned.

"That cockamamie general threw me against the wall, and I blacked out," Perry admitted. "They wanted me to go for an MRI, but I was too busy getting the Planet up and running again."

"Oh," Superman said. Diffidently, he added, "If it's all right with you, I can check you over?"

"What?" Perry asked. Then it came to him. "Oh, the x-ray vision thing." Humor arose in him at the thought. "Yeah, that would be OK." Why not? It had been a crazy day already. "Go ahead."

Superman set down his coffee cup and sat up. He stared at Perry, eyes unfocused. Seconds passed. Perry couldn't stand the silence.

"What?" he asked. "Am I OK? Subdural hematoma? Brain bleed? Am I going to collapse tomorrow?"

Superman smiled. "No, Mr. White. I see some swelling and bruising on the back of your head – "

"Yeah, I can feel it," Perry interrupted.

" – but nothing serious. You'll be fine," Superman finished.

"You just saved the Planet's insurance company fifteen hundred bucks," Perry said.

Superman let out a tiny chuckle. "Glad to hear it," he said. Then he added, more softly, "And I'm glad you're OK."

"Thanks," Perry said, touched. Superman cared about him? Superman was glad he was OK? Now he knew how Tom felt when Superman knew his name.

Superman sat back and picked up his coffee cup again. "You know," he said, almost absently, "I never thanked you and the Daily Planet for getting me honorary citizenship." He looked up at Perry's murmur of surprise. "In fact, I never thanked you for starting the whole international thing so that I'm welcome all over the world."

Perry wondered where that came from, and why now. He remembered the event – it was a short time after Superman had come to the astonished attention of the world. Superman had kept the President's plane from crashing, had done rescues too numerous to mention. Most importantly, in Perry's eyes, he'd saved Lois a bunch of times. Perry had put the media clout of the Planet behind a campaign to get Congress to pass a special act granting citizenship to Superman, waiving the customary years-long residency period. By that time, it had been obvious what an asset Superman was, and the bill had passed both houses almost unanimously – a few xenophobes standing up to the strength of their convictions and voting against.

The campaign had made the worldwide news, spearheaded by the Planet's international editions and websites. Numerous other countries had followed suit, and Superman was entitled to carry over a hundred passports, if he ever did such a thing. Perry had felt the whole thing was, in a sense, his own accomplishment. Perry knew that bureaucracy, at times, was a worse enemy than an outright foe. He'd sure hate to see Superman hobbled by requests for a green card, or asked for customs duties.

"That's all right, Superman," Perry said. "I was glad to." Then, daringly, he added, "You may be an alien, but you're our alien."

A grimace twisted Superman's face, then he laughed shortly. "I guess that would make Zod an illegal alien."

"Definitely," Perry agreed. "An undesirable alien. Deport him immediately." The two men shared glances and laughed. "But I guess you took care of that, Superman," Perry said.

Superman nodded, and looked back at his coffee. Back to business, apparently. "If I'm going to give an interview, it would certainly be with the Daily Planet," Superman murmured. He sipped the coffee. "And there's no time like the present." He sat up straighter and put the cup of coffee off to one side. "OK, Mr. White. Interview me."

"Don't you want Lois to have the interview?" Perry blurted out, surprised. He wasn't used to quick acquiescence on the part of interviewees. He expected to have to chase them, and pin them down, kicking and screaming, to get them to answer questions. And Lois had always done the in-depth Superman interviews.

"I think Lois might be too close to the story," Superman murmured. He cast Perry a glance. "Are you ready?"

Never let it be said that Perry White wasn't ready to grab an exclusive interview, Perry told himself. He reached in a fortunately-undamaged desk drawer and pulled out a pad of paper. His voice recorder was broken, darn it. "OK. Ready." He got ready to ask questions, but Superman beat him to the punch.

"When I learned about the rogue Kryptonians, I knew they had to be stopped…" The Man of Steel went on to tell a tale of super-powered battle, a clash of titans, culminating in the destruction of part of downtown Metropolis. Perry scribbled frantically, fascinated by the never-before expressed inner view of tactics and strategy from one who had been involved in the conflict.

Superman ended with, "When I realized that Zod and his minions were using the people of Metropolis as hostages, I knew I had to take the battle to a… less-populated area."

Perry stopped his scrawls. "We thought you were abandoning us."

Superman looked him in the eye. "Never," he said simply.

Perry looked away. "What happened next?"

This time, Superman looked away. "I was able to…well, let's just say that Zod and his companions won't be back."

"Oh, come on!" Perry said, surprising even himself. "How did you do it? You can't end the story there!"

Another flash of – was it panic? – in the eyes of the Man of Steel. "I'm sorry, Mr. White – " he said.

"Perry," said Perry firmly. "Call me Perry."

"I'm sorry, Perry," Superman said, "but I'm unable to discuss the means by which I was able to…rid Earth of this menace."

Superman meant it, too, thought Perry. He'd done enough interviews to know when he wouldn't get information out of a subject, and this was one of those times. The world would just have to not know what exactly happened to the rogue Kryptonians.

Why? Perry asked himself. Was Superman afraid that the same could happen to him? It was possible. After the fear and destruction of Zod's temporary dominion, the world had a new conception of what Kryptonian powers could do, unbound by the sense of morality and ethics that Superman possessed. No doubt a lot of research was going to be done, looking for Kryptonian vulnerabilities.

"All right, then," Perry said slowly, "but I have a few other questions for you."

The Man of Steel definitely looked apprehensive now. It was as if he recognized that Perry the Pit Bull was back in town.

"What about Lex Luthor? The last I saw him, he was with Zod's crew," Perry said.

Superman said, "I took him to the Metropolis Maximum Security Prison on Stryker's Island. He's being held until he can be charged." He smiled slightly. "You might want to get a reporter there for the court proceedings tomorrow. Perry."

Perry smiled back. "I'll be sure to do that." Agree with the subject, get them answering, then slip them another question. "Why was Zod out to get you? He kept on looking for you. And where were you all the time that Zod was running wild?"

The smile slipped off Superman's face, and he took on the stoic expression of the alien Son of Krypton. "Zod wanted to destroy me as the only person who could possibly defeat him. I am unable to discuss my whereabouts prior to my appearance here in Metropolis." Stiffly, he added, "I repeat, Zod and his minions will not return to Earth." Superman raised the cup of coffee to his lips, and Perry only thought he heard the Man of Steel mutter, "This time, anyway."

"All right, then," Perry said slowly. "That's good news, anyway." He cast about for another question. Certainly he wasn't himself tonight – his mind was slow and muffled. Normally he'd have a whole list of questions worked out prior to the interview.

A small sound from the near stairs caught his attention – and Superman's too. He heard a small gasp. Perry looked up. Lois Lane stood in the stairwell.

"I couldn't sleep," she said awkwardly. Her gaze locked on Superman's. He swallowed and said nothing.

Relief coursed through Perry. "Honey, are you all right?" Perry asked, going over to her and hugging her, formalities be damned. She was the daughter he'd never had.

Lois turned to look at him. "I'm all right, Perry," she said softly. She turned her head back and caught Superman's gaze again.

Perry looked at Superman. He had gone into a tense stillness at the sight of Lois. Only his eyes burned. Perry wondered how he had ever thought that the Man of Steel had no emotions – the air between Superman and Lois fairly crackled with electricity.

"Um…Excuse me," Perry mumbled, and promptly took himself off. Those two needed to be alone, if he was any judge of human nature. Or alien nature. Or whatever.

It was a needed break, anyway. Lots of coffee had produced the inevitable sequel. Perry wended his way to the men's room and took his time. He washed his hands slowly, and then carefully walked back to his half-destroyed office.

He breathed inward sharply. Superman and Lois stood in a tight embrace, Lois' head lying against the firm chest of the Man of Steel. Her face turned away from Perry, Lois wept silently. Superman held her closely, drawing his cape around her, his face a mixture of infinite tenderness and stoic misery.

His eyes caught Perry's. Perry shuffled nervously, and Superman turned his attention back to Lois. He made small wordless noises, comforting her. Embarrassed, Perry turned away and went down the newsroom, his mind awhirl.

She's more than just a reporter to him – and he's more to her. Perry couldn't help but give a reluctant smile – if anyone on Earth could possibly entangle the Man of Steel into a romantic relationship, it would have to be Lois Lane. Who else could handle Lois but a super-powered alien? Then the smile left his face as he considered some of the possibilities. It looked as if the two had come up against some hard truths. Lois was going to be hurt. And Superman? Judging by the expression on his face, he was going to hurt too.

Perry gave the two a decent amount of time to compose themselves. As he headed back to his office, he saw the flash of red as Superman departed via the hole in the wall that used to be a window. Lois sat down on the office couch, wiping her eyes.

"So," Perry said.

Lois only nodded. She sniffled into her tissue.

Perry sat next to her. "Are you all right?" he asked quietly.

Apparently this was the wrong thing to ask, because Lois burst into tears again. She hugged Perry desperately, crying quietly. Perry hugged her back awkwardly. He had never had a daughter. He had two sons, who never talked to him. Jerry, the oldest, was in prison. Perry blamed himself for this – his sons might have turned out all right if he hadn't been in a drunken stupor throughout their childhood. Holding Lois, her delicate bones in his arms, was a new experience.

She gathered herself, her weeping tailing off into a series of sniffles and nose-blows. She looked miserable.

"I got an interview with Superman about the battle with Zod," Perry said, fumbling. "You must know more. Do you want to write it up?"

Lois blew her nose one last time. Her eyes red, she said, "No, Perry, I think I'm too close to the story."

"Superman said the same thing," Perry told her softly.

Lois swallowed. "He's right," she said. A moment passed, and then she said, "Why don't you write it up and let me look at it. I'll add what I can and you can see if it's OK for the Planet."

"OK," Perry said slowly.

"I've got some other stuff I can work on," Lois said, her voice losing its trembling. She began to hide her misery under the "Mad Dog Lane" façade. Perry knew that expression well.

"All right then, Lois," Perry said. "If you can't sleep, then work."

Lois gave him a wobbly smile. "You too," she replied.

Perry kept a close eye on Lois for the next few days. Despite her best efforts, there was a shadow over her. The spark that made Lois Lane the best reporter in town seemed to have been extinguished – whether permanently or temporarily, Perry didn't know.

He wished he could keep an eye on the Man of Steel as well, but that was out of his power. Superman was very busy, though – not only was he assisting in the repair of the areas of Metropolis that had been damaged or destroyed by Zod and his super-powered henchmen, he made a rescue somewhere in the world almost hourly, it seemed. Perry wanted to ask him about the news that astronomers had discovered what they thought was Krypton – a topic that had assumed great interest for all Earthlings since Zod's reign of terror. But Superman wasn't giving interviews. Even Clark Kent couldn't get a quote from the superhero – which was unusual. Perry didn't even consider asking Lois.

Not only that, Lois seemed uncomfortable with her erstwhile partner, Clark Kent. Over the past year, they'd worked together more and more, and Perry thought that all the rough edges had been worn off that relationship. But now there were awkward pauses and uncomfortable silences between the two.

The two had never turned in their "Niagara honeymoon scam" story, although Perry had to give them a pass on this. A lot of stories had fallen by the wayside in the advent of the Kryptonian invasion.

Perry wondered if Clark had found out that, as the Victorians said, Lois' heart was given to another. How could an ordinary guy compete with the Man of Steel? From one or two unguarded looks, it was obvious that Clark had feelings for Lois. Heck, Perry had known that for years. What Perry hadn't known was the depths of feeling that Lois had for Superman. There was no hope for Clark there. Perry wondered if Clark had declared his feelings, Lois had turned him down, and now things were…uncomfortable…between them.

Well, well, well. Office romances, love triangles - this was a good thing to stay out of, thought Perry. Lois and Clark seemed to be behaving professionally enough, despite the occasional glimpses of misery that peeped out of their shuttered eyes.

Which was why, when Clark kissed Lois in the newsroom, Perry was surprised. Maybe a few of their co-workers saw the embrace – Perry only caught it because he happened to be looking out his (now-repaired) office door at the time. Clark's body screamed restrained passion. But Perry saw Lois back away from the kiss, and sit down at her desk as if nothing had happened. Clark's shoulders slumped and he walked away.

And something in Clark's defeated posture reminded Perry, just a moment, of how Superman had held Lois in his arms that morning after the rogue Kryptonians were defeated. Then Perry turned to his next editorial task, and the thought evaporated, like the morning dew burning off a flower petal, not to be seen again.

The next day, Clark came to Perry's office. "Chief," he began.

"Don't call me Chief," Perry said automatically.

"Perry," Clark said, "I want a leave of absence."

Perry sat down heavily at his desk. "I knew something like this was coming."

"You did?" Clark asked. He seemed almost panicked for a minute, then smoothed over his face with an expression of mild surprise.

"I didn't get to my position because I could yodel," Perry said sarcastically. "I've seen you with Lois."

Clark sighed and sat down. "I can't stay, Perry."

"Uh-huh," Perry grunted.

Clark continued. "I've got to get away. I'm going to go hiking around the world."

"You're set on this, aren't you?" Perry asked. Rhetorical question, it was obvious. Clark wanted to leave.

Clark sighed again. "Yes, Perry. I'll send a postcard now and then. But don't expect to hear from me regularly."

Perry gazed at him for a moment. The tall man seemed beaten down. Perry paid him the compliment of not asking about Lois or his love life. "We'll miss you, Clark."

"You too, Perry," Clark said, choking up. Obviously this was hard for him.

"Two weeks notice?" Perry asked.

"Can it be sooner?" Clark replied. He must really want to get out, thought Perry.

"End of the week, then?"

Clark nodded.

"OK," Perry said. "You get packed up. I'll handle the paperwork with Human Resources." He stood up; Clark followed suit. He grasped Clark's hand. "You're a good reporter, Clark. Remember that in your world travels. Don't forget us here at the Planet."

"I won't, Perry," Clark said. He shook Perry's hand warmly and walked away.

Superman made his last appearance that week as well.

As time passed, the world realized their helper was gone. Superman didn't come to disasters, he didn't do rescues, he just didn't appear, no matter the need.

At first Perry felt betrayed, remembering that strangely intimate moment on that quiet early morning at the Planet. "We thought you had abandoned us," Perry remembered saying. And he remembered Superman looking him straight in the eye, reassuring him, saying simply, "Never." But now Superman was gone.

It took some time for Perry to realize that the crises that Superman no longer attended to were all human problems. Superman hadn't left the human race faced with rogue Kryptonians, or evil artificial intelligences, or out-of-control asteroids, or terrifying alien monsters bent on world conquest. No, the problems that humans faced were all of their own making.

And people came to realize it. As the years passed, Perry and the Planet staff picked up on the sea of public opinion. There was a sense that Superman had descended from some heavenly realm, had come to help Earth…but only for a while. And, like all things too good to be true, Superman's time had passed. It was as if a deity could spend only so much time in the mortal realm before he had to go. Angels were too good for this coarse land; they had to go back to heaven.

After a period of denial, then dismay, leading to anger, and finally grief, the human race moved on to acceptance. People got used to rescuing themselves, or dying - the way they had for thousands of years, before Superman-created miracles happened on a daily basis. The world was a darker place, but still some gratitude remained. Gratitude that this god in a cape had descended to Earth. Gratitude that he had helped. Even if only for a short time.

Only Perry knew of the secret love of the god. And, as the years passed, Perry suspected more and more, that the embrace of a weeping Lois wrapped in the cape of a stern and agonizing Superman, explained the absence of the hero.