Next Thread
Print Thread
#250356 04/17/10 07:39 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This crossword puzzle is the first thing I have put in this section of the MB. I'm not sure whether one is supposed to create a separate feedback thread for FoLC productions, or whether the feedback goes into the original thread. I figured that to be on the safe side, I'd go ahead and start a new thread.

Again, all feedback *much* appreciated -- the negative as well as the positive. I consider this first puzzle to be a learning experience, and I hope to use any feedback given here to improve in future puzzles, should there be a call for them.

cheers,
Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
i like the puzzle. really creative

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What an original, creative idea! I love crosswords. Unfortunately, I sucked at this one. goofy

The cryptic clues baffled me completely, but, even worse, I couldn't answer most of the LNC questions because I haven't watched an episode in ages. Bad, FoLC. Bad! blush laugh

So...yes, I cheated. Went looking for the scripts. Despite this, it was fun!

Well done! thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
There's a couple over in Lois and Clark.

Mine

James\'

Answers to Mine

It's been a while though...

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My thanks to those who have responded.

Carol,I have a very mixed reaction to your post -- on the one hand, I am "bumped" that I hadn't been the one to think of this idea first. But OTOH, I am thrilled to have the puzzles that you and James made to fill out.

Given the minimal response (either positive or negative) to my first crossword puzzle, I might not try a second one for a while. Besides, I am currently busy with an epic piece of fanfic...Well, epic for me, anyway, given that I have heretofore stuck with vignettes. It will actually be pretty short by other authors' standards...I think it will wind up being about 12 or 13 pages long.

cheers,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lynn, I loved your puzzle! Great idea!! Some very hard ones!!

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Blogger
Blogger
Didn't get all of them. But most! laugh
This is really a very good idea. Makes the brain wake up a bit on a tiring day. thumbsup

Top Banana
Top Banana
I enjoyed the puzzle, but I admit to not getting the cryptic clues. For example, I *did* get "Martha", but only because I know that's Clark's mother, and it fit. But I was asking myself, "Why is she in danger of confusion? What does that mean?" It never occurred to me to try making an anagram of her name. Now that I read your explanations, I can say, "Oh, I get it!" Perhaps, if I had figured out even one of the anagrams, and realized that was what you were doing, it might have helped me figure out more.

Also, I think the fact that the program creates crosswords that only 'cross' on one or two letters out of the whole word might mean you are forced to sacrifice the more obscure clues. Too bad, because now that I've read your explanations, I do have to admit they were clever clues! clap

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks to all who have replied! I think the general consensus is to greatly reduce, but possibly not eliminate entirely, the number of cryptic clues. So I think my next puzzle (whenever that may be written) will have perhaps one or two cryptic clues and the rest will be straightforward.

I think the next puzzle will center around a single episode. That way, anyone who wishes to do independent research to determine the answer (instead of clicking on the "solve" button) would be able to do so easily.

cheers,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love the idea of a puzzle about 1 episode. I might even watch that episode before looking at the clues, then do the puzzle and see how much I remembered! smile

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great Idea, loved the puzzle.

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Wanda and Caincrazy,

Thank you for letting me know you liked the idea.

Stay tuned for a new puzzle sometime over the next few days. It will be a theme puzzle: All questions will be related to the episode "Strange Visitor". I've decided that I would base my next few puzzles on some of my favourite episodes. The new puzzle will have only one cryptic clue. The rest will be straightforward.

cheers,
Lynn

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Just found this ... I liked it, but some of the clues I didn't get (I didn't really read your explanations - I'm actually supposed to be doing my newsletter article). And I clicked "solve" a lot because I haven't watched the episodes for ages either blush

So, another one would be great smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like the puzzle, got most of them right. But I am no good at the cryptic ones. Had fun doing this.

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DW and Caincrazy, Thank you both for your feedback. I've posted a second crossword puzzle based on the episode Strange Visitor; it has only one cryptic clue. I hope it's a bit easier to solve.

cheers,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Lynn: I only missed "Parker" and "pulse". Not too shabby, right? The puzzle was SO fun! Please make more! I like knowing that I know this series enough that I can ace crossword puzzles about it with very little difficulty! lol!

Just got married (21st June 2010).
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
I only missed "Parker" and "pulse". Not too shabby, right?
Ummm...I think this feedback may be for another author's crossword puzzle. I didn't have either "Parker" or "pulse" in mine.

If you are interested in trying my LnC puzzle, you can find the link to it, as well as instructions, here .

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard